IGNORED

Fast with Steve for 10 days!

Letgo

Steve is starting his fast on November 7th and continuing through November 16th. Ten days! That can't be healthy, can it? I'm surprised he isn't going for 40 days, like Jesus. Teri, being the weaker vessel, is only fasting one day. I suppose she should be grateful that Steve doesn't insist that she join him for all ten days.

Mods, please merge this if a thread has already started. I didn't see one.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are pregnant, nursing, or have a health reason that prohibits you from fasting from food, you can still be part. Some in that situation have fasted from media, sweets, or even from chewing by getting their calories and nutrition from smoothies, broths, or other liquefied food

How the hell does fasting from chewing bring you closer to God?

What exactly does his fasting look like? Broth and bread and water? Or just smaller meals?

No mention if all the ones still at home have to fast and pray the entire time too. I wonder if any of the marrieds and wives do the fasting. I also wonder how delusional Stevie gets during his fasts and if the family can tell a difference. All questions I would love to have answered!

The only time I fast is before a colonoscopy and even that's not easy (basically one day of where all you can eat is broth, certain jellos, vanilla Boost, and apple juice).  For me, that's once every 3 years and it's still too often!

I have never understood the point of fasting. Perhaps to make one grateful for food! Still don't see how it helps with prayer or faith...

Still don't see how it helps with prayer or faith...

It doesn't. But I think Steve is aware that he has grown a pot gut and he's resorting to fasting to whittle down his belly. Unfortunately, fasting has the opposite effect over time, so the fasts are becoming longer and more frequent. He could just pray for the power to resist Anna's baked goods. Or accept the fact that a little tummy is just what happens to most men his age, unless they are ultra-fit.

I have this feeling that fasting may have something to do with Steve's dwindling income. It doesn't seem to occur to him that he has three women over the age of 18 that he is essentially holding hostage after he prepared them for a life of servitude to another man. So...marrying them off would go a long way toward stretching their budget. Or, better still, free them and let them support themselves.

I have this feeling that fasting may have something to do with Steve's dwindling income. It doesn't seem to occur to him that he has three women over the age of 18 that he is essentially holding hostage after he prepared them for a life of servitude to another man. So...marrying them off would go a long way toward stretching their budget. Or, better still, free them and let them support themselves.

Yep. I wouldn't be surprised if Steve was worried that he has angered God somehow, causing 1TonRamp to have only a trickle of students and conferences to be few and far between. Maybe this fast is a way of punishing himself or accepting penance? God only knows. I hope he isn't dragging those daughters of his into a downward spiral of delusion with him. 

Steve does not seem to be planning to eat or drink anything besides water. His sign up page, where other men can commit to fasting with him, mentions having no food or caloric drinks. So no broth, liquid jello, Gatorade, Pedialyte, or anything else. What is that going to do to his blood sugar? Steve is in his early 60s, right? I wonder if he checked with his doctor to make sure his body could stand a ten day fast. He probably believes that he will be fine because he is doing this for the Lord. I can see him wasting away and dying of a heart attack, but refusing nourishment or medical help. He'll be like the old joke about the guy in the flood who is waiting for God to save him, turning down all rescuers until he drowns.

Can any medical professional here tell us what effects a ten day fast will have?

I have fasted at several different times in my life and my motivations have varied: I've done it due to peer pressure,; for my mind; and also for my body's general wellbeing.

The first time I undertook a lengthy fast it was for 9 days and consisted of liquid broth --like soup stock bouillon with no mass to it -- plus green juices. This had quite an impact on me. I was very hungry for three days until the hunger vanished completely. Surprisingly, I lost less than 1kg during the whole time (I should point out I didn't aim to lose weight and didn't have any to lose). During this time, each intermittent day I undertook either a colonic or isotonic.

Towards day 7-8 was when the 'ecstasy' set it. It was kind enough of the defining moment for me. I could understand at that point how religious people might believe fasting brings them closer to God. (I'm not religious). I experienced a clarity of mind that I didnt know was possible. 

At the end of the fast it was broken with raw salads.

Since that first fast I've done short three-day fasts, mostly every 18 months.  I did at one time attempt a 16-day fast; which in hindsight was stupid and I regret as an external person had to intervene after twelve days and ask me to 'desist' because I wasn't coping. One good thing I took away from that was a really valuable lesson and reality check about how going to extremes is, basically, dumb. And also potentially really freaking dangerous!!

I do believe fasting can be achieved safely when undertaken with care. However being someone who has experienced both safe and unsafe fasting, I can see how it can quickly become like the drug-user chasing a bigger and bigger high. 

Steve, not exactly known for moderation in all things, is at risk of this in my view. 

I have never understood the point of fasting. Perhaps to make one grateful for food! Still don't see how it helps with prayer or faith...

the fasting person is supposed to use the time that would have been spent doing the activity being fasted from to spend time with God and pray with a specific purpose. 

I think Steve is feeling a lack of control, and this is his way of getting it. I also think he knows he'll likely be ill for part of it, and is secretly hoping it scares his family. Good way to gain control is to guilt loved ones into worrying about you.  

I imagine if Teri is fasting only for a day, that the Sarah, Anna and Mary will only be obligated to do so for a day, but Jesse and John might be required to fast the same as Steve. That would be very difficult. 

Unless he sends them to trade school or college, the chances of them supporting themselves seems pretty slim. Could sara afforde to self publish a a book about the little Cooties? (I suppose she could try an ebook)   What salable skills do they have? Do 3 churches in there area  each need  paid church secretaries?    And would they qualify.

Finance Manager 
North Cross United Methodist - Kansas City, MO 
$30,000 a year

The Finance Manager is responsible for Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll and Bi-Annual contribution Statements. Other duties assigned.

Proficient computer skills in Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook and experience with accounting software program similar to Power Church, or QuickBooks.

Job Type: Full-time

Salary: $30,000.00 /year

Local candidates only:

• Kansas City, MO

Required experience:Bookkeeping/Accounting: 1 year

Required education:

• Bachelor's

So, we have 3 more or less unqualified / untested  women who would likely rely on jobs in retail, fast food or maintenance (maids, dishwashers, etc) for hotels, hospitals or nursing homes. 

The idea of freeing them reminds me of a bit in Mork and Mindy where Mork tosses an egg into the air telling it to fly, and it falls and smashes on the counter top.  These girls, despite Steve's stated beliefs to the contrary, are not exactly ready to fly on their own. 

My son, a far more devout Catholic than I am, does a 9-day novena fast a few times a year. Bread and water only. I worried about him the first time he did it, but his body seems to handle it very well. He's 26, though, not in his 60s. Steve may have some difficulties. Which may well be part of his plan.:my_dodgy:

Fast? No thanks. I've been recently diagnosed with gestational diabetes so it'd be a huge no-no.

I doubt Stevo has seen a doctor about a 10 day fast. I don't even think he'll last that long. By day three he'll be sneaking out for a cheeky McDonalds or something.

Is it possible that he's doing a sunrise-to-sunset fast, as Jews do for rabbinically-ordained fasts and Muslims do for 40 days of Ramadan? That would mean he could wake up early to eat and then be fasting for probably less than 12 hours this time of year. That's totally doable for more than a few days, though I've never tried it.

Wasn't there a post on their blog about how Teri and Steve didn't qualify for scamaritan because they had pre-existing medical issues? I wouldn't be surprised if they were on some type of medication based on their age and whatever their pre-existing conditions might be. Wouldn't it be dangerous to be taking regular medication without any nutrients? It seems like they are doing a straight fast with only water. Are they going to continue their morning exercise? Continue the mad cleaning they seem to do every week. Do they think they can continue normal activities with nothing but water? Teri and Steve must know this is ridiculous but I can see the "kids" living at home believing that if they don't complete the fast perfectly, then God will be angry and seek vengeance. It's hard to believe that everyone in that household will have no ill effects during a ten day fast. I would have a headache and be throwing up within a day or so. I wonder if they get those feelings if they would be able to stop or take something for a headache. I would assume no because I really think they are expected to truly suffer for ten days. Steve may be making their suffer for their perceived sins. Who knows, someone may have had a burrito with an extra scoop of beans without permission.

So, how are folks here going to anti-fast?  I'm sure my fellow FJers are strong and convicted enough to handle 10 days of anti-fasting!

:bacon:    :pizza:   :beer:    :burger:     :margarita:

I think fasting for anything other than medical reasons is just a way cults can control their members. In the case of Steve Maxwell, it's a way to keep his family under his control. I'm the type of person who won't fast at all unless there's a medical reason for it.:pizza::popcorn::burger::beer::bacon:

It is very strange that the recent blog posts have been full of references to fun and celerations, while Steve's own Serious posts have become darker and more extreme.

It is as though the rest of the family is somehow lighter in spirit, while Steve is becoming tortured.  Teri's blog post today sounds almost cavalier in tone, when she says,

"Steve is fasting and praying that whole time. Sorry, ladies, I can’t manage that long of a fast so you only have one day offered!"

If she could have taken that "Sorry, but fuck you Steve" attitude 25 years ago, a whole shitstorm of crazy might have been avoided.....

I wonder which of the chidults will try to appease Steve by fasting with him?  My money is on Jesse.

Archived