IGNORED

Happy 23rd Birthday, Anna Maxwell! (MERGE)

Justme

To me it looks like Anna blow dries her hair a lot (fly aways!) and tried to tease it or something to give it more volume for the photo.

I don't think her hair looks like it does because she doesn't take care of it. Not everyone is blessed with beautiful and healthy(-looking) hair. (Mine sucks too.)

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Anna was going for a different look to try out and, unfortunately, missed the mark. She may have seen a young woman at the grocery store with a hair style similar and wanted to try it out, but because of the worldliness of style magazines and lack of prior styling utensils, she couldn't get the technique right.

This both encourages me and makes me sad. I'm encouraged because trying something new speaks of a spark of life, however dim, but I'm sad because she'll never have the opportunity to perfect this technique, because if she spends more than five minutes on her hair in the morning Steve may make then all shave their heads because their hair is becoming an idol. She'll never be able go to a salon and study them while they do it to try to figure it out, because she will be exposed to worldly people and gays. This picture is akin to a tween trying out a style, and that is heartbreaking to me, since we are talking about 23 year old woman.

This has always been my favorite bit:

"Dad asked the waitress how we could pray for her, and she was surprised by such a request and paused. She asked us to pray for “strength,” and upon inquiring what that exactly meant, she said she was a single mom and needed “strength.” We definitely prayed for that and for her salvation! "

Wait, what???  I see the blog post date predates my time at FJ, but wow, I don't remember seeing any snark on this one or I missed it.  

I bet that waitress was surprised.   Her reaction was probably more like "WTF?" but quickly gathered herself and came up with some reason.   She really can't insult a customer so it wasn't a bad response on her part.   But yeah, I wonder how much of a tip she really got.

Good hair, bad hair, terrible or okay!?  

When I saw Anna (and the rest) a few years ago, she had some acne and I felt a kinship, as I had had a terrrrrrminal case of spots my entire adolescence and like her, was not permitted any kind of cover-up.  

My point being, arguing over whether or not she's conventionally pretty or well groomed to someone's satisfaction is only going to persuade Steve even further that the world is awful and that his plan is sound: to isolate his children as long as possible. 

Just for fun - because I know Steve will read this with the same prejudice he reads everything here - I'm going to say this about Anna At 23:   Her complexion is looking good, and at that age mine had also finally started to clear and I was going on lovely chaste dates with a fellow or two to dinner and a movie and then some fun kissing and hugging in my folks' living room .

For her part, Anna still has a sparkle in her eye and -- with no memories of a life beyond the Maxwell real estate or family trips -- probably really enjoys her pastimes and chores.  She's got another advantage over Poor Sarah, that her folks are closer than ever to their heavenly home, so conceivably she might still be able to have the chance to figure out if she WANTS to remain as a Maxwell nun, or pursue training that would widen her world.

HB, Anna-not-Anna-Marie.  You look just  fine and I hope you can enjoy life as you find it enjoyable.  

PS - Everybody has the occasional bad hair day/era.  Don't sweat it. You'll find your style.

She looks terrible, in that picture. It may well be the worst picture we have seen of her this year, and yet they choose it as her special birthday spotlight photo.  It's not really about snarking on Anna's looks.  It's just another example of the fact that non of the Maxwell's have a good eye or good taste.  Someone saw that picture of Anna and thought, yeah, that's the one! 

Since there's no tv, books or any other form of entertainment, I guess bed at 9:00 isn't so bad. I'd probably want to go to bed, too, just to get the hell away from Steve. 

So would I. 

That was the most depressing post ever. She got to sleep in an extra 45 mins, was actually allowed to pick out an inconvienant fabric ( I'm impressed Steve allowed that) and still had to clean the stove! Wow! Excitement abounds! And to think I spent my 23rd birthday have chocolate cake with every meal and partying with my friends drinking alcohol. Clearly I'm doing it wrong. :my_sick::coke:

Boy she really looks like Teri in that picture.  Teri must have been married and already had a baby or two by the time she was 23.

[...]

This! I was struck by that too. I never really noticed how much she looks like her mother, but in that picture ... :wow: She has pretty much the same face. It's so much more pronounced now that she's getting older. I wonder what Teri looked like when she was younger. Very much like Anna?

(A sincere observation from someone whose mother worked in the dental profession for decades):

The best birthday gift Steve and Teri could give Anna? Cosmetic dental treatment to correct her excessively gummy smile. It would make a significant difference in her appearance, IMHO. 

Wait, what???  I see the blog post date predates my time at FJ, but wow, I don't remember seeing any snark on this one or I missed it.  

I bet that waitress was surprised.   Her reaction was probably more like "WTF?" but quickly gathered herself and came up with some reason.   She really can't insult a customer so it wasn't a bad response on her part.   But yeah, I wonder how much of a tip she really got.

I doubt the waitress even had a choice.  If she had said "No, thanks", I imagine they would have been praying for her to appreciate the power of prayer.

I'm reading through their blog (yes, it's painful) and of course many things stand out to me... But one is, do they have friends? Maybe this is a silly question, but do they really only spend time with their family who lives on the same block? I'm baffled. :doh:

Also, why does God have to tell them simple things like which route to drive? Can't they just attribute a simple decision like this to using the brain that presumably God gave them? 

I could go on forever... :crazy:

(A sincere observation from someone whose mother worked in the dental profession for decades):

The best birthday gift Steve and Teri could give Anna? Cosmetic dental treatment to correct her excessively gummy smile. It would make a significant difference in her appearance, IMHO. 

I think they would consider that "making an idol" out of her looks, since it's not really affecting her life any meaningful way. Now, why did they get Mary braces? Was she in pain, or was that a cosmetic thing? I don't remember. Because if they're going to do one cosmetic thing for one daughter, it seems like they would do it for another.

For her part, Anna still has a sparkle in her eye and -- with no memories of a life beyond the Maxwell real estate or family trips -- probably really enjoys her pastimes and chores.  She's got another advantage over Poor Sarah, that her folks are closer than ever to their heavenly home,

...or wherever.

The resemblance to Teri really is kind of unnerving at this point. Here's hoping for a happier outcome for Anna, unlikely though it may be.

Man, this is sad:

Written by Sarah herself, 5 (in words: five) years ago. 

this made me want to cry. sarah makes me so sad. i just really want her to find a nice fundie guy and have a family; it's clear that she wants that so badly.

:( 

I'm reading through their blog (yes, it's painful) and of course many things stand out to me... But one is, do they have friends? Maybe this is a silly question, but do they really only spend time with their family who lives on the same block? I'm baffled. :doh:

Also, why does God have to tell them simple things like which route to drive? Can't they just attribute a simple decision like this to using the brain that presumably God gave them? 

I could go on forever... :crazy:

No.  They don't have any friends, and it's by design.  Read Keeping Our Children's Hearts (I got it for $.01 plus $3.99 shipping, used, on Amazon - I didn't want to send any money their way).  They do not let their children take part in anything that might pull their hearts away from the family, including things like youth groups and summer camp.  They do allow people to come over, but only if they first pass muster, and then always under the watchful eye of Steve and Teri (the Maxwell children are not allowed to go over to anybody else's house).  They do not believe that children need friendships or activities with children their own age, they should only be friends with their siblings.  So - it is conceivable that they would meet a friend at church that would be holy enough for Steve that would come over to their house and would be okay with Bible study/service work/other work for the entire time that they "played," but it's not a recipe for deep friendship.

This is why I find it ironic that Sarah says "imagine that? Brothers and sisters loving each other!" in the video about her new book.  They are absolutely convinced that the only way for brothers and sisters to love each other is for them to literally spend every waking minute together and have no other choice for companionship.  They also think that, in Sarah's own words, if Steve and Teri hadn't carefully controlled every aspect of their lives and kept them extremely isolated, they can't imagine what kind of awful things they would have done.

My heart breaks for Sarah, and the other girls.  I've read that boys tend to externalize issues when things get bad, and so I can see the boys taking this message as "Steve is the keeper of the secrets, and someday *I* will be too," and having some relative success at leaving the home, and the girls just wholly accepting that whatever is inside of them is so horrible and strong that they can't even associate with other children at church, or it will take over.  It must be so terrifying, knowing that you can't be trusted to even choose what kind of book to read, because if you were to try to do it yourself, you would become evil.

@FunFunFundie Thank you for your response! That is depressing shit. This is a sad family. I, too, feel particularly sad for the girls/women. Sarah, to me, seems terribly hopeless. I'm her age, and I don't know how I would even have a conversation with her! She has zero life experience outside of her family, and she's headed for her mid-30s! Incredible. 

Re: Anna's hair   Anna looks to have what I call "stress hair." I say this because I knew a couple of women with hair like this and they were both under a lot of stress; their hair was brittle and broke easily. An anecdote, of course, but that's what Anna's hair has always looked like to me. I wonder if she plays with/twists it out of boredom/nervousness/tension. Doing so would also contribute to breakage and that ragged look that she seems to perpetually have.

(I wrote a comment about this yesterday, but it didn't appear; that one was worded much better.)

This! I was struck by that too. I never really noticed how much she looks like her mother, but in that picture ... :wow: She has pretty much the same face. It's so much more pronounced now that she's getting older. I wonder what Teri looked like when she was younger. Very much like Anna?

http://blog.titus2.com/2009/08/17/happy-35th-anniversary/\

Here you go... Terri and Steve when they were younger

dadandmom.jpg

thedeparture-300x235.jpg

STEVE'S MOUSTACHE!! *lol*

So Anna is the spit of Teri... Which of the guys do we reckon looks most like Steve? I'd say maybe Joseph or John, but I could be wrong.

That was the most depressing post ever. She got to sleep in an extra 45 mins, was actually allowed to pick out an inconvienant fabric ( I'm impressed Steve allowed that) and still had to clean the stove! Wow! Excitement abounds! And to think I spent my 23rd birthday have chocolate cake with every meal and partying with my friends drinking alcohol. Clearly I'm doing it wrong. :my_sick::coke:

You Jezebel! Imagine how many ceiling fans you could have dusted or special Bible time you missed out on. 8-)

Archived