IGNORED

Pennington Birth Certificate!

Marian the Librarian

To celebrate FJ's awesome upgrade and snazzy new look (AND cool new emoticons!), I want to point out one piece of good news posted to FJ Shelter during our down time - please forgive the repetition!

Per her "Help Me Prove It" Facebook page, Alecia Faith Pennington is now the proud owner of a physical copy of her birth certificate, only 19 (?) years after James and Lisa Pennington should have taken care of that basic little parenting chore.

Congratulations, Alecia Faith!

:Yes:

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOOT WOOT!!  I am so glad that she finally has it and hopefully she has paved a path for anyone else who is in the same circumstances.

Momma Pennington posted on Facebook today about running and crying in the rain while G-d washed away broken pieces in her heart. What a sad and horrible women. 

What on earth does she have to be so sad about? Oh wait. She's lost a daughter from her evil clutches, to the world where she can drive and will be respective.

Yes, what an absolute damn shame.

She also says her son "knows how to take care of a difficult situation" because he asked her for essential oils. Yikes. 

Good for her!  Her parents should be held accountable for making their children non citizens.  I guess they are easier to control that way.

I said it on Shelter, but I'll say it here too:

Alecia should be SO incredibly proud of herself!!! Not only did she stand up to her parents for treating her inappropriately, but she just won a major victory too.

Also, I sustain myself on the tears Momma Pennington cries - yes, yes. . . whine about your daughter and sustain me with your sorrow!

I said it on Shelter, but I'll say it here too:

Alecia should be SO incredibly proud of herself!!! Not only did she stand up to her parents for treating her inappropriately, but she just won a major victory too.

Also, I sustain myself on the tears Momma Pennington cries - yes, yes. . . whine about your daughter and sustain me with your sorrow!

She also changed the law. It will help others in a similar position.

That's fantastic! She is very brave. Hopefully this success bodes well for others in the same boat.

Questions for anyone who's more knowledgeable than me... (how) is it legal that her parents never got her any sort of documentation? I hope it's somehow illegal for them to have kept her from obtaining/accessing her own records, especially as a legal adult?

That's fantastic! She is very brave. Hopefully this success bodes well for others in the same boat.

Questions for anyone who's more knowledgeable than me... (how) is it legal that her parents never got her any sort of documentation? I hope it's somehow illegal for them to have kept her from obtaining/accessing her own records, especially as a legal adult?

I think it's because she was born outside of a hospital and the midwife didn't do their job properly.

It is possibly a misdemeanor in some states for failure to register the birth.  Parents have only 10 days in the state where I live.  I doubt a lot of prosecutions take place over it though.  Both the midwife and the parents were probably at fault and in collusion.  So sad that parents act like that and even remotely think that they are doing right.

That's basically what I figured. How sad that it's not better enforced to stop controlling/abusive behavior. It's comparable to someone who prevents their spouse from obtaining/accessing their birth certificate/SSN/driver's license.

I wasn't able to hang out in the shelter much, but this was the best news ever to come from it! :Yes:Yay Alecia! And i hadn't seen Momma Pennington's reaction but does not surprise me. 

Damn, the new site looks fantastic! And this is SUCH good news for Alecia! I want to see her succeed more than I can express. Sometimes, i think about how brave she was to just sit in that car and refuse to get out, and it amazes me. What a strong person. 

Damn, the new site looks fantastic! And this is SUCH good news for Alecia! I want to see her succeed more than I can express. Sometimes, i think about how brave she was to just sit in that car and refuse to get out, and it amazes me. What a strong person. 

I imagine she couldn't take her parents crap any longer - it says a lot when an uncertain future seems like a better alternative than staying with your parents.

Still, she is such a courageous young woman. I wonder what her plans are - I hope college is in her future!

Such good news! I haven't really followed the Penningtons closely, though of course I remember when Alecia's story came into the national spotlight. I have to say, I am extremely impressed with how intelligent and well-spoken she is. If she so chooses, I think she can be a tremendous advocate for women and children in the fundamentalist community. 

The thing that strikes me is that Alecia does not seem to want to lash out at her parents. She just wanted an ID so she could have a life. She does not relish in attention, she doesn't bash them. I am sure she could share horrible things about her childhood and yet she does not. It is the mother who is so attention/pity-seeking.

The thing that strikes me is that Alecia does not seem to want to lash out at her parents. She just wanted an ID so she could have a life. She does not relish in attention, she doesn't bash them. I am sure she could share horrible things about her childhood and yet she does not. It is the mother who is so attention/pity-seeking.

i love that. it really shows that she has her priorities in order and a good mature head on her shoulders. maybe several years down the road, she'll choose to divulge more information ala cynthia jeub, but for now it's first things first.

good job, alecia, i honestly can't say i would have the maturity to do the same in that situation.

i love that. it really shows that she has her priorities in order and a good mature head on her shoulders. maybe several years down the road, she'll choose to divulge more information ala cynthia jeub, but for now it's first things first.

good job, alecia, i honestly can't say i would have the maturity to do the same in that situation.

I totally agree.  Lisa has just been showing herself to be an incredibly self-centered, hideous mother with no concern for her children's true growth.  Alecia has taken the high road through this whole ordeal.  I do hope she gets some good therapy. Parents like hers will leave scars. 

Good for her! It's absolutely ridiculous that a 19 year old did not have a birth certificate! Her Mom can cry all she wants, Alecia took control of her life and I'm glad to hear that she has a good head on her shoulders. I'm thinking that good things will be coming from her in the future! 

Archived