IGNORED

Magnolia Pearl: What in the World?

GenerationCedarchip

So this is the thread where we've been trashing "open Concept"!  I've been busy read House/Gardenweb and Websleuths (FCA thread about the ID Discovery series) and I'd forgotten it was on this thread .

Yesterday I was watching an episode of Love Ir or List It and the first house that David showed the couple was open concept.  The mom was having none of that!  She said that sometimes she went into the kitchen to get away from others.  She also didn't like the huge walk-in closets or the garden tub.  She said that they'd had one in a previous house that just gathered dust.  The house they ended up with had two ordinary closets, sliding doors and all,  in the master bedroom.

(ETA:  FCA stands for Felon Casey Anthony or Fucking Casey Anthony on Websleuths.  The only mystery in the FCA case is why the jury didn't convict her.)

Edited by PennySycamore
  • Upvote 4

7 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

Yesterday I was watching an episode of Love Ir or List It and the first house that David showed the couple was open concept.  The mom was having none of that!  She said that sometimes she went into the kitchen to get away from others.  She also didn't like the huge walk-in closets or the garden tub.  She said that they'd had one in a previous house that just gathered dust.  The house they ended up with had two ordinary closets, sliding doors and all,  in the master bedroom.

i can relate to the bolded.  another reason i want my kitchen out of sight is that i'm a bad housekeeper and my kitchen is usually messy.  if no one can see the clutter, then no one cares if i put off clean-up.

• Upvote 3

On 4/21/2017 at 1:07 PM, AmazonGrace said:

Everyone was always saying how great our homeschooling was, but one day it dawned on Shosquehannah   that in reality boots are not actually intended for storage of barnyard items and that we had never properly understood how violins work. 

3639af1387d19e1e6784c28e04ea4114.jpg

Are those bloomers under the other thing?!  WTF...and with those boots.

Am also wondering what's next to the metal cross.  Fish tank?  Hamster cage?  Not that I'm suggesting one is more appropriate than the other.

• Upvote 6

Actually, that looks like the glass cases that hotels put the bagels and muffins in for the continental breakfast. 

• Upvote 3

It's funny I came across this thread today...I have recently gotten the urge to funk-up my wardrobe without buying anything new or spending much money.  So I got some cool antique cotton lace on Etsy for four bucks, and I'm going to sew it to the bottom of my favorite T-shirt that I wear all the time, with different colored threads.

Apparently, though, I should slap a $250 price tag on that baby and sell it.  :my_biggrin:

• Upvote 11

I cannot believe this thread is up again! I gave into the lure of MP and looked at her new offerings last night. I think I got scabies and fleas.

• Upvote 13
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

I cannot believe this thread is up again! I gave into the lure of MP and looked at her new offerings last night. I think I got scabies and fleas.

back around the beginning of the thread, i requested a catalog from them.  i still get emails from them now and then.

The clothes remind me of a summer stock production of Godspell.

My pet peeve of Chip & Jo's designs are the goddamned open shelving. I want to HIDE my crap, not have to keep it out in the open, where it gets dusty and everyone can see that I'm shit at housekeeping. And the white on white on white designs, they do nothing for me.

• Upvote 12

I like my open concept house, but mostly just because it allows me to keep an eye on my precocious toddler with less effort. That, and my tiny home would seem even tinier with more walls.

• Upvote 6

On 4/25/2017 at 9:07 AM, nelliebelle1197 said:

Do fleas cost extra?

• Upvote 7

Here I thought this stuff looked like the cast offs from The Fantastiks.

I was tortured by Chip and Joanna in the dentist's waiting room today. It's all so staged! And why do Christians love their "chemistry " when he is saying things like "shut up, peanut butter breath"? Even though it's supposed to be a joke.

• Upvote 2

On 4/22/2017 at 3:30 AM, catlady said:

i can relate to the bolded.  another reason i want my kitchen out of sight is that i'm a bad housekeeper and my kitchen is usually messy.  if no one can see the clutter, then no one cares if i put off clean-up.

That's part of why I like mine in view.  It makes me stay on top of the cleaning.  

• Upvote 2

@Leftitinmysnood, I was watching Flea Market Flip in the morning, but  turned the TV to Criminal Minds once Fixer Upper was on.  I don't mind Flip or Flop, but have never gotten into Fixer Upper.  I absolutely don't see the appeal.

I like open shelving in some kitchens, but not in mine.  I'd rather put some glass doors on some cupboards to lighten up the space and that's what I intend to do.

12 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@Leftitinmysnood, I was watching Flea Market Flip in the morning, but  turned the TV to Criminal Minds once Fixer Upper was on.  I don't mind Flip or Flop, but have never gotten into Fixer Upper.  I absolutely don't see the appeal.

I like open shelving in some kitchens, but not in mine.  I'd rather put some glass doors on some cupboards to lighten up the space and that's what I intend to do.

We have one cabinet with glass doors. We wound up using it as our liquor cabinet.

• Upvote 2

On 4/20/2017 at 9:02 AM, Coconut Flan said:

I know a woman who dresses in a mix of Anthropologie mistakes and Magnolia Pearl with a little something else thrown in.  She wonders why people at work don't take her seriously.

I was just going to say that Magnolia Pearl makes Gudrun Sjödén's baglady chic look like career wear, maybe even something to wear in the courtroom when prosecuting a high-profile criminal case.

I have a basket of clothing that is too worn and stained to donate to charity so it was going to go into the next textile recycling event. At MP's prices maybe I need to give each piece a more distressed look and sell the stuff on ebay.

14 hours ago, Jug Band Baby said:

That's part of why I like mine in view.  It makes me stay on top of the cleaning.  

Really deep sinks and zone lighting! After a dinner party all the dirty dishes stay out of sight until the guests have gone and/or you're ready to deal with them.

On 4/20/2017 at 1:33 AM, Jug Band Baby said:

I think Pearl's fans are people who want to feel rich and exclusive by dropping a fortune on shit.

Rich people who need a new wardrobe for Coachella or Burning Man?

Edited by Black Aliss
more words
  • Upvote 3

On 4/21/2017 at 6:17 PM, Jug Band Baby said:

That's really what she does.  The photos on her site, on their own, could, in addition to that dissonance, be taken as showing the imagination and creativity it takes to make due with what you have when you're poor.  But by doing this to sell thread-bare clothing, she's claiming poverty is romantic and trendy.  That's pretty insulting, and a sign of privilege.  Poor people don't wear things falling apart because it looks cool.  They do it because there's no other choice.  And there Pearl is, trying to make poverty trendy and extremely pricy.  It feels like a mockery.  How lucky she is to have a choice.

Like this, except that Dorothea Lange's migrant mother was actually better dressed.

b-03054th.jpg?w=720&h=447

• Upvote 6

I just opened the site.

NINETY FIVE DOLLARS FOR A T-SHIRT?? ARE THESE WEIRDOS TAKING THE PISS????

• Upvote 6

On 5/3/2017 at 11:04 AM, Black Aliss said:

Like this, except that Dorothea Lange's migrant mother was actually better dressed.

b-03054th.jpg?w=720&h=447

Exactly.  It really feels like MP is glorifying horrifying poverty.  That doesn't sit well with me.

• Upvote 4

On 4/21/2017 at 7:40 PM, PennySycamore said:

(ETA:  FCA stands for Felon Casey Anthony or Fucking Casey Anthony on Websleuths.  The only mystery in the FCA case is why the jury didn't convict her.)

Easy. Because the prosecution really only presented evidence that she was a slut and a party girl, which are not capital offenses, and were not what she was charged with. Nancy Grace claiming on television that certain evidence exists to prove  Anthony was guilty is not the same as presenting that evidence under oath in the courtroom.Either the prosecution was really lazy, or they believed that being a partying slut was evidence enough, or they did not actually have any actual evidence that she killed her child.

• Upvote 3

• 6 months later...

Time to bring these weirdos back!!! They appear to have gone for a Frida Kahlo vibe for the Fall 2017 collection.

“Are we getting paid for this gig?”

”Nope. Unless you count crinoline cages and burlap sacks.”

”Ugh.”

097C7044-9D02-4B71-A60E-C7C216A8B9C4.jpeg

• Haha 9
  • Love 1

let's ignore the fact that the models look dead......the candles so close to that raggedy bedding make me wonder how few minutes it would take to ignite that entire room.  

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

28 minutes ago, catlady said:

let's ignore the fact that the models look dead......the candles so close to that raggedy bedding make me wonder how few minutes it would take to ignite that entire room.  

You scare me sometimes with your ability to peek inside my head like that. :pb_lol:

• Haha 4
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, catlady said:

I believe one twitch of the head from Ms. Cadaver in grey would send her braid straight toward the flames (if the bedding didn't ignite first).  I think the room would go up pretty quickly.

Pyro wet dream.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

yeah, that braid had me worried, too!  that whole photo shoot looks like one massive OSHA violation.

Edited by catlady
  • Upvote 6