IGNORED

Magnolia Pearl: What in the World?

GenerationCedarchip

Where do people go wearing these sorts of clothes? I can't see putting them on to go to the grocery store, a school field trip, or anywhere else I go. :?

ETA: Do people really go out in public wearing these outfits? Does Magnolia Pearl have something against shoes that fit properly?

To their art studio! This is a painting smock, no?

26fTB2L.jpg

WapI4k9.jpg

"Everything you see, (Black Mold on the ceiling?)

and a thousand lovely things you

don't see (Bedbugs and Cockroaches and mice?)all convey."

• Upvote 2

Please don't hate me for this, but I think that designer has some sort of serious body issues. She seems to have a short, stocky body and a look that is to me a sporty, out all day playing tennis kind of woman - you know, the kind of woman who lives in tennis dresses and polos and shorts. But she wants to be flowy, willowy and feminine, like some of her models. So she covers up in a million layers of fabric and puts a bird's nest on her head to hide things she is not happy with.

I can't think of any other reasonable explanation for this.

My explanation is that a love for dirty hobo boots and an overuse of psychedelics had a baby named Magnolia Pearl.

Wait a minute, fundies wear that? Lisa Pennington wears that? I'm seriously defrauded by some of the pictures. One is clearly showing nipples :pink-shock:

Long story short, for those who don't follow Lisa Pennington:

She likes to do these posts on modest fashion where she wears unflattering clothing and tries to tell other women how to dress. She posted a photo of herself wearing a burlap jacket, someone eventually figured out the jacket was from Magnolia Pearl, and much merriment ensued. The thread is highly entertaining and recommended reading for snarkers everywhere.

This post has the picture of Lisa in her burlap jacket under the spoiler tag.

viewtopic.php?p=858139#p858139

Also, for those who enjoyed the house of the Magnolia Pearl designer, here's her Airstream trailer:

shop.magnoliapearl.com/mp/airstream/autoviewer/mobile.html

• Upvote 1

I had not seen Magnolia Pearl before. I cannot adequately convey ( :D ) how much I'm enjoying these fashions. And the prices. It is simply fascinating. Absolutely fascinating. Thanks to you guys for these links. So much wtf. Just loving this so much.

ETA The airstream is....um....decorated. And the fashions have no sizes!!!! Why am I so mesmerized by this? People pay this much for these items? Astonishing!

This reminds me of a MAD magazine article from about fifteen years ago when they compared the fashion industry to the Taliban in that both force women into ridiculous and demeaning outfits. I think the MAD artists/writers had Magnolia Pearl and its ilk when they did that one. It's like someone decided to imagine what a deranged Southern bell out of a Tennessee William play or William Faulkner story might wear and went with it.

Wow, someone wishes she was living in a psycho biddy movie. One or two of the touches would have been potentially cute. Instead, it's just depressing.

She likes to do these posts on modest fashion where she wears unflattering clothing and tries to tell other women how to dress. She posted a photo of herself wearing a burlap jacket, someone eventually figured out the jacket was from Magnolia Pearl, and much merriment ensued. The thread is highly entertaining and recommended reading for snarkers everywhere.

Also, for those who enjoyed the house of the Magnolia Pearl designer, here's her Airstream trailer:

I have to admit that I'm impressed they got that tub into a little Airstream.

This photo conveys to me that the fridge looks wildly out of place with this 'decor'.

I have so many thoughts. My inner real estate investor is coming out.

1. Most of those things should have conveyed anyway without being mentioned a gazillion times like it was a huge blessing for the buyer. (It's not. I mean...the claw foot tubs are rusted out. Yick.)

2. And on that note, how do they ever feel clean in this house? I feel really icky just looking at these photos and it would gross me out so much to visit there.

3. Penny from Penny's Treasures would probably move in here in a heart beat, except she appears to keep things clean (even when they're covered in yards of frilly wedding dresses) so this might push even her over the edge.

4. Any sane buyer would rip most of this stuff out. And also, it doesn't look like it's even structurally sound! The damn fridge is leaning at a 45 degree angle. It's like Marshall and Lilly's apartment in there!

5. I don't hate that rose sink but I do hope it's in a powder room or something.

6. Most of the "hand painted art" can't really be preserved anyway for anyone who is looking for a guaranteed clean or structurally sound place, not to mention that the paint is faded and chipped. When I look at some of the walls, I can't tell if they're intentionally distressed or if they have actual water damage leaking down them. Ditto the ceilings, which are giving me such heebie jeebies. Who knows what's lurking under those tin tiles!

I love urban exploration and photography as much as (possibly more than!) the next person, and most of them look like this after they've been long, long abandoned. Actually, some abandoned places look better than this. The thing is, I don't want to live in the places I explore! I've gone into properties that looked like this and almost fell through the floor, and come out covered in dust and dirt (and scarred by what I've seen!). I didn't know there was a decorating style made up exclusively of the things you find at the worst booth in the entire antique market, but Magnolia Pearl house has shown me I was wrong.

Where do people go wearing these sorts of clothes? I can't see putting them on to go to the grocery store, a school field trip, or anywhere else I go. :?

ETA: Do people really go out in public wearing these outfits? Does Magnolia Pearl have something against shoes that fit properly?

Everything I looked at was "One Size" (fits all?), so I kind of think they have something against anything fitting properly, or even in the near vicinity of properly. Their Amazon account has 6 ratings, only 4 of those in the past year, and 1 of the 4 was not impressed with the quality for the price. I want to know how much of this crap they actually sell, honestly. Unless Helena Bonham Carter has an open account there, I don't know who would buy it. Wardrobe department for Tim Burton's next movie?

• Upvote 2

As I was reading around on a few blog posts about Magnolia Pearl, it would appear she finds vintage fabric and uses it to make this stuff.

Vintage fabric, fine.

Vintage fabric that is (hopefully tea-dyed to appear) old and yellowed? No thanks. Want to know how else things get old and yellowed? Being peed on or left in a closet or used by unwashed bodies and never washed. I don't know about y'all, but I just can't get with that, let alone pay exorbitant prices for it.

Also...I suspect she actually took a vintage nightgown, cut it in half, and is now selling it as a cami/tank top for $250.

I just...holy moses.

• Upvote 1

I would love that airstream minus 80% of the tchotchkes. and all the antique carpets on the walls and furniture, can you imagine all the icky stuff that is in that carpet?

That is some of the most hideous and unflattering clothing I've ever laid eyes on. Out of all that mess I saw one top that was cute and I'd buy for $20, but $200?!? Are there really that many people paying a fortune to look like clowns? :cray-cray:

That is some of the most hideous and unflattering clothing I've ever laid eyes on. Out of all that mess I saw one top that was cute and I'd buy for $20, but $200?!? Are there really that many people paying a fortune to look like clowns? :cray-cray:

I would have liked the plaid pants. In 1987.

• Upvote 1

9ruop2.jpg

Honestly? If I saw someone out in public like this, I'd probably wonder if they had somehow wandered away from a locked facility. sqo1mf.gif

• Upvote 3

But how does one custom fabricate an antique iron bed???

Also, the pictures are so goddamn big on my monitor that I can't really see much. Is it just me?

The bathroom sink at the Havisham House of Horrors made my eyes bleed, btw

Halcionne, that happened to me with the site for the trailer because for some reason the link is mobile-optimized, which turns up badly on computers.

When I removed the mobile tag, the URL didn't exist.

Harrumph.

snip 6. Most of the "hand painted art" can't really be preserved anyway for anyone who is looking for a guaranteed clean or structurally sound place, not to mention that the paint is faded and chipped. When I look at some of the walls, I can't tell if they're intentionally distressed or if they have actual water damage leaking down them. Ditto the ceilings, which are giving me such heebie jeebies. Who knows what's lurking under those tin tiles!

I love urban exploration and photography as much as (possibly more than!) the next person, and most of them look like this after they've been long, long abandoned. Actually, some abandoned places look better than this. The thing is, I don't want to live in the places I explore! I've gone into properties that looked like this and almost fell through the floor, and come out covered in dust and dirt (and scarred by what I've seen!). I didn't know there was a decorating style made up exclusively of the things you find at the worst booth in the entire antique market, but Magnolia Pearl house has shown me I was wrong.

Nothing in there was dirty or damaged; all the distressing, etc. was deliberately applied. Anything rusty, faded, and chipped was done on purpose. They did a helluva job making everything look derelict as fuck. The carpet on the kitchen walls adds a nice homey touch, dontacha think? :cray-cray:

I have so many thoughts. My inner real estate investor is coming out.

I hope that whoever bought that property sloshed the house and the guest house with gasoline and threw a match in behind them. And that when nothing was left but ashes, they salted the earth so that NOTHING WOULD GROW THERE AGAIN.

That's what I would do if I had money.

The house looks like the set to an upcoming American Horror Story where zombie models reanimate strange looking leashed birds which then proceed to peck out our eyes so we no longer have to be tortured by looking at this disaster.

• Upvote 1

What the hell did I just look at ?!

It's like someone stole every costume from every movie Helena Bonham Carter has been in, tossed them in giant garbage bags with some secondhand carnie wear and left them in a very dirty attic for 40 years.

Yikes.

Nothing in there was dirty or damaged; all the distressing, etc. was deliberately applied. Anything rusty, faded, and chipped was done on purpose. They did a helluva job making everything look derelict as fuck. The carpet on the kitchen walls adds a nice homey touch, dontacha think? :cray-cray:

Oops! I think we were saying the same thing but you just said it better. I too find it very disturbing that they put effort into making the house intentionally chipped and gross. If someone didn't know this was their style, they would probably have the issue identifying mold vs paint at first glance. Here, we have the extra knowledge of knowing this was intentional! But seriously...how/why do you paint something to make it look like water damage!?

I can't imagine how fast a buyer would have an inspector roaring in there to figure out if there's structural damage. The thing is, I think there may be some, or at least listing of the floor, given the bent of the refrigerator. It makes me think they probably didn't have a lot of work to do in some places to get it as chipped as it is. I'd love to see "before" photos, but that is probably a lost cause.

Yick. It's definitely not my style.

The room looks like it could keep the CDC busy for a month. Didn't know there was a market for that sort of ambience.

I could see the clothes being effectively used for panhandling (prices aside).