IGNORED

Jill & Jessa specials coming - MERGED

quiversR4hunting

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just wanted to make sure ...

@Buzzard -- do you have the transcription covered for tonight?  

If not, please let me know & I'll help out.

Maybe JD is just a good guy as far as concern for his younger.....and some are a lot younger...siblings. With so many younger siblings around, he might not want any more fall out from looking at Joshley as the "oldest male". He can step in and, well, I don't know, but something more positive than Joshley. Not a difficult task at this point. And if all the fundie young women he meets are in marriage for all of the kids, because that is what he has been taught, it might not be what he wants, unless he really falls for  someone. What do I know. 

When they talked about how they looked up to Josh, I think that probably a lot of emphasis was put on his career. He went from being a small town used car salesman to having a successful career in religion and politics - I think it's probably indicative of the relationship most siblings had with him that Joe talked about someone who gets up and speaks about the things that make someone a strong Christian (paraphrasing obviously). He had a family with several children and was able to support them independently of his parents. He never went to college because he never had to, he was successful without it. He's like the poster child of the SOTDRT, he achieved what they would consider great success. An objective person would say this was almost entirely luck and bias caused by the family's television presence, but I'm sure that the Duggars have always felt it was evidence of God's blessing and favor of their lifestyle.

I really don't think most of the siblings were close with Josh on an emotional level. JD is the only one I thought seemed to have a brotherly relationship with him, and that kind of dissipated over time as Josh moved out and then away from Arkansas. Josh certainly doesn't seem to have a close relationship with any of his sisters, and the only real interactions I've seen with his younger brothers have developed as they've gotten older. He didn't seem to care about them one way or another until they hit around 15 or 16. So when they talk about looking up to him, I think that probably the family held him up as someone who fulfilled his dreams through JustJesus. The siblings were made to believe that he was being rewarded by God for being righteous, the idea that this level of hypocrisy could exist alongside supposedly God-ordained success, and in their own family, I think that's where they feel personally let down by him. Not so much that they would consider him a beloved sibling that they want to spend time with.

Numbers being what they are and given the age differences involved (Josh never even lived in the same home with Josie or Jordyn), I am not surprised at the diluted sibling relationships evidenced among the Duggars.

3 hours ago, vienna said:

Special challenge: double shots when one actually uses the word adultery or cheating.

Sounds like you're proposing an abstinence game.

I don't think Jessa's an INFJ. I'm an INFJ. I actually like Jessa a lot, and I can see aspects of her personality that would probably come out in me if I were born and raised in her environment. But the thinking vs. feeling thing is a pretty big deal. I'm not a Meyers-Briggs expert by any means, and I'm pretty skeptical of it to be honest, but INTJ for Jessa seems pretty accurate to me.

http://www.16personalities.com/intj-personality

http://www.16personalities.com/infj-personality

Ben sounds more like an INFJ than Jessa does.

2 hours ago, lascuba said:

I love it when @halcionnegeeks out on MBTI.

What's funny is that I don't go on INTJforum or Personality Cafe (well, yeah, I lurk) because I feel like most of those folks are doing it wrong and they don't know fundies well enough to make very good guesses at Duggars' types, so I do it here, where readers may ask "wtf is MBTI" or say it's hogwash, rather than over there where one thread on the Duggars said Michelle is ISFJ because she's so motherly. Someone really said that. :laughing-rolling:

3 hours ago, Nonyabznoch said:

Lol, you must have an iron liver!  I'd be hungover for a month

Nah, just a masochistic streak and Irish heritage.

45 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I don't think Jessa's an INFJ. I'm an INFJ. I actually like Jessa a lot, and I can see aspects of her personality that would probably come out in me if I were born and raised in her environment. But the thinking vs. feeling thing is a pretty big deal. I'm not a Meyers-Briggs expert by any means, and I'm pretty skeptical of it to be honest, but INTJ for Jessa seems pretty accurate to me.

http://www.16personalities.com/intj-personality

http://www.16personalities.com/infj-personality

Ben sounds more like an INFJ than Jessa does.

I like Jessa a lot, too, and @lascuba has suggested that she may be one of those people who are fanatical about whatever direction they take in life. Also, it seems that INTJs tend toward agnosticism/atheism (I know there are religious INTJs--I can even think of one FJer--but I think faith in things unseen is difficult for them, generally speaking) so I wonder about what life must be like for fundie INTJs, or any NT, or any intuitive, for that matter. But I was a believer until I was about 40, and I'm an INFP, and my devout daughter is an ENFP. There's so much to question and doubt; so many contradictions and political agendas in organized religion (I have SBC roots and that's where I'm most comfortable criticisizing--perhaps other denoms are less shitty, but lbr, they're not). Okay, that went in a weird direction.

Before I ranted about organized religion, I was going to say that some FJers opine that Steve Maxwell is also an INTJ, and it got me thinking (again! Still?) about fundie INTJs. How is it possible to be an INTJ and a fundie? It's a mystery. What if Jessa grows up to be Steve? Jess-hova. Which brings me back to lascuba's concept of Jessa as a fanatic. If real people weren't being harmed, I would just sit back and :popcorn2: for the next 20 years while I watched Jessa's life unfold.

My guess would be that a fundie INTJ would need to make their religion as 'real' as possible to them - structure, order, clearly defined rules and regulations and systems. Almost like if you're an INTJ and you're not areligious, you're way over on the other end of the spectrum: fundamentalist. Total speculation on my part, but it seems to fit Jessa.

Jeez, I tuned in a little early. Kate plus 8 is on. I can't get over how big those kids are now, I don't even recognize them. The boys have always been easy to tell apart, and I'm guessing the younger daughter who keeps looking super pained to be there is Hannah, since she was the one who apparently didn't want to be on the show. It's so weird. Mady trying to convince her mother that they won't get through the team exercises because 'you need to accept that we are not a team'. Yikes.

I really have the Duggars on the brain...I was reading this article about political blogger, Kaus, and this tangent about Glenn Greenwald immediately made me think of Jessa and Ben:

and I’m reminded that he shares with Kaus [though being different in every other way] the quality of being a huge asshole on the internet but astonishingly gracious in person.

:pb_lol:  I'm not sure how gracious they are in person but they don't seem to be as jerkish irl as they are online. 

I'm with the ESTJ theory for Jessa. Full disclosure, I'm an INTJ and I can't see it... so might be biased. INTJ is the most rare MBTI and is even more rare in women.

I think Jessa is an extrovert, whereas Jana, Jinger or Jenny act more introverted (aka overwhelmed by the chaos and people). Jessa seems to thrive in the chaos.

Also, S vs. N is around taking data/info as wrote vs. taking data/info one step further. Jessa seems more wrote, what she sees validates the 'facts' as she knows them. Jinger seems to 'see through' it a bit more, which I take as more N like.

So, that would actually make Jinger an 'IN' something. Perhaps an INFJ, though she could be an INTJ.

Well, that was interesting.  Sure left a lot of ground still to be covered.

My overwhelming feeling?  Those. Poor Kids.  Each of them is heartbroken and devastated by Joshley's horrible choices.
Jill's comment is so true (paraphrase, mine):
"You can choose your behavior.  But you cannot choose the consequences of your behavior."
So true -- I always had this up in my classroom when I was teaching.  And my kids heard it often.

20 hours ago, andagoat said:

I never thought JD was not very smart, I always thought he was "so not into this" tv talking heads.  He's got multiple legitimate jobs out there (some helped by Jim Bob) and I feel he has other stuff going on and doing the tv THs was just an obligation he had to do.  And with living at home still, he probably has a good chunk of money to start a life when he gets married.  I think he's a good guy, but just not into the Duggar brand.

This was always my impression too. He's always come across to me as a quiet but decent natured Southern Christian guy who likes a simple lifestyle (simple as in the type who doesn't need to live in a huge city with tons of things going on to be happy, not that he is stupid) and had no interest in the Dog and Pony show and only did the bare minimum required to keep his plane/the work opportunities Boob provides. 

• 1 year later...

On 12.12.2015 at 4:21 AM, GeoBQn said:

Speaking of learning Polish, Duolingo just released its Polish for English Speakers course today.  I am very excited about using the "L with the line through it."

I saw that and died laughing :pb_lol: that discussion is from 2015 but out of curiosity - still so excited today? lol

On 12.12.2015 at 5:17 AM, jqlgoblue said:

I've seen lists that say Polish is the most difficult language to learn, because it has seven cases and seven genders plus difficult pronunciation.

I think English speakers often assume Asian languages are more difficult because there are characters to learn and the tonality, but there are no cases, genders, and grammar is fairly simple.

claritaslux.com/blog/the-hardest-language-to-learn/ has more detail.

Yep, some polish people still don't know how to use them properly...well eductaed even. I have a big problem with that however if a foreigner gives speaking Polish a try I'm in seventh heaven. So is a vast majority of polish society :) So yes, we are aware Polish is hard. God bless your heart whoever wants to learn it :)

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived