IGNORED

Titus2's Steve Maxwell: Seriously Anti-Fun

SPHASH

I was very surprised that he doesn't enjoy reading the Bible, and that he admitted it like he thinks nobody does, it's just a boring chore Christians have to do over and over and over.

I think that reading the Bible is the only thing Steve enjoys.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was very surprised that he doesn't enjoy reading the Bible, and that he admitted it like he thinks nobody does, it's just a boring chore Christians have to do over and over and over.

What what WHAT? [/Kyle's mom] Steve would never consider me the "right" kind of Christian. Among other things, I like having FUN. :lol: When I was a kid, I had a big old children's book of Bible stories. I loved that book. Jonah and the whale, baby Moses in the rushes, yada yada...if you looked for me, it was a good bet you'd find me with my nose in it. Wish I still had it. Even now, once in a great while, and admittedly more for comfort or seeking answers, I crack open my big girl Bible and read. Not saying I always find my answers or comfort, but I know I can at least look there in hopes that I do. Does this mean I am better than Steve-O? :lol:

I had fun today! This morning I went on Ebay and bid on several coins (I'm a Numismatist, go look that up Steve), worked on my blog. This afternoon I took a little nap, tonight I'm watching football.

People who enjoy learning (adults or children) are more likely to seek out information, discover things their parents didn't tell them, and -- possibly -- R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Couldn't resist.

[bBvideo 560,340:sf5ae6en]

[/bBvideo]

Please do! Seriously Steve... You Are An Asshole. (Or whatever.)

How about "Steve Maxwell's Terminal Assholism".

What what WHAT? [/Kyle's mom] Steve would never consider me the "right" kind of Christian. Among other things, I like having FUN. :lol: When I was a kid, I had a big old children's book of Bible stories. I loved that book. Jonah and the whale, baby Moses in the rushes, yada yada...if you looked for me, it was a good bet you'd find me with my nose in it. Wish I still had it. Even now, once in a great while, and admittedly more for comfort or seeking answers, I crack open my big girl Bible and read. Not saying I always find my answers or comfort, but I know I can at least look there in hopes that I do. Does this mean I am better than Steve-O? :lol:

I know, right? It's a pretty shocking admission! He wrote that learning should be boring because the Bible is boring:

I plead with you dads for the sake of your children’s future not to buy into this “learning must be fun†mistruth. If learning has to be fun, what does that mean about learning Scripture? Do we only read Scripture because it is fun and not read it because it isn’t fun? Since Scripture isn’t fun to read, could that mean children raised this way will have no desire to read the Bible as they get older?

Wow, I just glanced at the blog and saw Jesse's birthday post. Didn't realize he was already 21. For some reason I thought he was like 18 or 19. I wonder what will happen to him when John gets married and moves out (which I'm pretty sure will be soon). Surely Jesse won't be trusted to sleep alone in his own room? But where else could they put him? Maybe they'll make John wait until Jesse finds a girl as well, then Jesse and John will both get married and move out on the same day.

Do, does this mean Steve is not allowed to have sex with Teri? She is past menopause, thus can't get pregnant. Hence, his "seed" would be "wasted" according to their beliefs....

God could still give them a miracle baby, couldn't he? All in HIS timing!

Yesterday, I binge-read Keeping our Children's Hearts, and then went to Titus2 to read the Mom and Dad's corners around the time the book was published. I noticed that many, many passages from the book were directly lifted from the Corners, with minimal editing. I also noticed many familiar Mom's Corners that are reproduced verbatim in Meek and Gentle Spirit. I was interested to see for myself the extra anecdotes that are supplied in the book, as have been discussed on FJ, but I was surprised by how much of the book was previously published in the Corners. The conferences must be mind-numbing in content, if they are just live infomercials for all the repetitious books.

It makes me wonder what book is in the making with Steve's current series of posts. I don't think any imagination supplies will be depleted in the making of the new book, so I predict a Seriously Dad's title along some specifically paranoid theme from his recent blog inventory. And that's partly why I am so happy to have a dedicated Seriously thread on FJ, so we can watch as the book is written in real time. Hi, Steve! :mrgreen:

Wow, I just glanced at the blog and saw Jesse's birthday post. Didn't realize he was already 21. For some reason I thought he was like 18 or 19. I wonder what will happen to him when John gets married and moves out (which I'm pretty sure will be soon). Surely Jesse won't be trusted to sleep alone in his own room? But where else could they put him? Maybe they'll make John wait until Jesse finds a girl as well, then Jesse and John will both get married and move out on the same day.

I didn't realize was 21 either. Not sure about John & Jesse getting married. But that would be interesting if they got married @ the same time.

I didn't realize was 21 either. Not sure about John & Jesse getting married. But that would be interesting if they got married @ the same time.

Given the meltdown that was had when Nathan got married, Sarah, Anna, & Mary would be catatonic with grief if John & Jesse married at the same time.

I imagine if John leaves, they'll just install cameras in Jesse's room, which Steve will watch regularly for accountability.

Assuming they don't have something like that already.

I imagine if John leaves, they'll just install cameras in Jesse's room, which Steve will watch regularly for accountability.

D'oh!! Sure! That's what the monitor-on-boxes in The Maxhell MASTER Bedroom is for! Security camera monitor screen!

That came up when John went to "mystery country", and someone asked about it. All they answered was how "they enjoy sharing the room". If John does marry soon, or (gasp!) move out, it'd be a next level of it. But, Steve "regularly watching", well, will he ever sleep? Or will he have to choose between watching his only-son-home and coming here to read? Steve, if you're reading, what's the purpose of it? Is it to learn about how "the wolves" live and think? Or to be warned about another potential attack from some who come visiting you on tour? Or some other reason, but any more I can think of contradicts what you teach; time wasting, not looking to have fun, being alone on the Internet without the accountability you enforce on your "kidults"(love that term), unless you're all looking together. In that case, are you openly discussing what you can learn from it? Lots to think about. Enjoy your tour. Oh wait, is that too much "fun"?

D'oh!! Sure! That's what the monitor-on-boxes in The Maxhell MASTER Bedroom is for! Security camera monitor screen!

That could very well be. I hadn't thought about it, but we have security cameras (for the outside) and I have a monitor right beside me (very much like the one in their room), so I can view my property.

Yesterday, I binge-read Keeping our Children's Hearts, and then went to Titus2 to read the Mom and Dad's corners around the time the book was published. I noticed that many, many passages from the book were directly lifted from the Corners, with minimal editing. I also noticed many familiar Mom's Corners that are reproduced verbatim in Meek and Gentle Spirit. I was interested to see for myself the extra anecdotes that are supplied in the book, as have been discussed on FJ, but I was surprised by how much of the book was previously published in the Corners. The conferences must be mind-numbing in content, if they are just live infomercials for all the repetitious books.

It makes me wonder what book is in the making with Steve's current series of posts. I don't think any imagination supplies will be depleted in the making of the new book, so I predict a Seriously Dad's title along some specifically paranoid theme from his recent blog inventory. And that's partly why I am so happy to have a dedicated Seriously thread on FJ, so we can watch as the book is written in real time. Hi, Steve! :mrgreen:

blessalessi, would you consider starting a new thread to deconstruct the book chapter by chapter?

I read the book awhile back but would love an update. I think this is the book where Steve gets into how he took the boys out of sports, and talked Christopher out of becoming a paramedic.

That could very well be. I hadn't thought about it, but we have security cameras (for the outside) and I have a monitor right beside me (very much like the one in their room), so I can view my property.

I hadn't thought of it either. It would make sense, though, for them to have that monitor in their bedroom, so they can check quietly whenever they want.

Given the meltdown that was had when Nathan got married, Sarah, Anna, & Mary would be catatonic with grief if John & Jesse married at the same time.

They wouldn't be able to cope.

If there's one good example of the whatthefuckery that goes on that family, it's the mass grieving over a son getting married and moving just down the street.

Moving down the street from his super enmeshed family is really just a variation of living under the same family's roof. That this was something to be grieved over is just mind boggling.

It makes me wonder what book is in the making with Steve's current series of posts.

I have a title for it, Steve:

Repeating Yourself Ad Infinitum With a Meek and Quiet Spirit.

Really their was a meltdown after Nathan got married!

Without doing any sort of a deep dive into the hell that is Maxwell psychology, I have to think there is an interesting combination of mental illnesses at play here.

Teri suffers from depression and anxiety. Steve's need for absolute control and order, and his inability to see alternative points of view on *anything* suggest possible OCD or even some type of Autistic spectrum disorder. So, in the worst of times, when Teri was in the throes of postpartum depression, the poor Maxwell kids had a mom who barely had the energy to get dressed in the morning, coupled with a dad who insisted on a strict daily routine with no deviations or margin for illness, spontaneity or f*n. Oh, and the vicious beatings proper Christian training.

It's amazing none of the kids have become serial killers.

So if one of the girls were suffering from severe cramps on their period they still had to push through? I would've been loudly complaining and bleeding on all his clothes until he let me rest :lol:

blessalessi, would you consider starting a new thread to deconstruct the book chapter by chapter?

I read the book awhile back but would love an update. I think this is the book where Steve gets into how he took the boys out of sports, and talked Christopher out of becoming a paramedic.

My head is too full to break it down right now but I think I have seen reference to an earlier thread on FJ where someone reviewed the book. If I can find that, thread, I will add what I can. :)

In reference to Keeping Our Children's Hearts, all I can say is that Stephen King ain't got nuffin on Steve Maxwell when it comes to writing horror stories.

I sometimes wonder if the Maxwell's would be dull, uninteresting people without the religion of Steve. I kind of think so. They would be better off, of course, but I kind of think most of them aren't the type to disobey or seek out information. We all know people who just don't care why leaves are green or where Mali is. I especially think Sarah wouldn't be a very interesting person, regardless of Steve.

Then again, they share DNA with Steve, so some of them should have his personality traits of being a controlling asshole. What was it he did at Boeing?

Someone referenced the "Birthday" Mom's corner upthread. Wow :shock:

When our older children were little, we allowed them to attend birthday parties and gave them birthday parties as well, although not a party for each child every year. We soon found some significant drawbacks of these birthday parties. One of the biggest problems with the birthday party was the extreme amount of selfishness it created in our child. For weeks before the birthday party, the child could talk of nothing except his party. During the party, the excitement was over opening the gifts, and as soon as one party ended, the child was already planning the next one.

Our desire is to raise children who have learned to deny themselves. “Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me†(Matthew 16:24). The whole mentality of children’s birthday parties is quite the opposite of any denying of self because it is actually feeding self. After just a few birthday parties, we realized we didn’t want to continue fueling this amount of selfishness, and we simply said we would only have family birthday parties in the future.

That decision was made about twenty-five years ago, so our younger children have never experienced having a birthday party or attending one either. When we chose not to have birthday parties with other children invited to them, we also decided not to allow our children to attend other children’s birthday parties. Since we knew we wouldn’t be reciprocating with a birthday party, it didn’t seem right to us to accept invitations to others’ parties. One benefit of this decision is that it began protecting our children from unforeseen influences at birthday parties they had been attending. Sometimes when an invitation arrived, it caused us to wonder what activities would be occurring at the party. It is very awkward to call a parent questioning the special plans they have for their child’s party. Our new policy helped us avoid these situations.

Our birthdays are very simple, but we delight in birthdays because we love each other so much. We use birthdays to honor the birthday child by focusing our love and attention on him. Keeping an eye on our children’s hearts and seeking a balance in honoring them versus growing demanding attitudes in them is important to us as we celebrate family birthdays. There are times when we pull back some of the privileges that normally attend a child’s birthday because by his pre-birthday talk we can see a self-focus growing. However, in general, we believe the level of birthday celebration we have settled into has helped to build our family unity while not fueling our children’s natural propensity to selfishness.

The day before the birthday, the girls make birthday signs for the windows. We learned this idea from close family friends of ours. The birthday signs celebrate the special qualities of the birthday child, and the signs are taped to the windows in the living room and dining room. We also celebrate with birthday banners, balloons, and crepe paper streamers. On the front door, we use glass markers to write a brief Scripture for the birthday person (see this blog post for an example).

Usually the birthday child chooses a birthday breakfast from a choice of two or three favorite breakfast meals. He also picks his preferred lunch from our weekly lunch menu. For dinner, he decides on both a main dish and dessert. We invite Grandad and Grandma, who live right around the corner, and our married son with his family for the birthday dinner and party.

On birthdays, we encourage the family to do special things for the birthday child throughout the day as possible such as taking over his normal chores. We also encourage the birthday child to use his birthday as an opportunity to help and serve his family. Often the birthday child will make his birthday dessert, help with meal preparations, or work with the clean up crew.

When we began homeschooling, I would give the children their birthday off school. However, we started to see the children becoming possessive and demanding of not having to do school on their birthdays. Sometimes, because of other circumstances, it was necessary for them to do some or all of their normal schoolwork on their birthday. This could create bad attitudes in the birthday child. Observing this pattern when it occurred caused us to decide it was best to keep birthdays as normal school days. Then, if on occasion, we chose to lighten or skip school for the birthday child, it was received as an added gift of the day rather than demanded as something owed to them.

Part of our birthday party is always family Bible time. This comes before gift opening. Our children delight in purchasing birthday presents for each other, and a great deal of thought, prayer, and planning goes into each birthday present. Often our children shop together as teams so that they have more buying power. They evaluate and try to meet needs in the birthday child’s life through the present they give him.

In leaving behind the trappings of giving and attending children’s birthday parties, we have discovered a joy in the simplicity of family birthday parties. This allows our children to love and honor their birthday sibling. In the midst of birthday celebrations, we are watching the birthday child’s heart so that he doesn’t become selfish and demanding because of the birthday focus. We encourage each family to seek the Lord Jesus for what would be pleasing for their birthday celebrations.

Dear lord, they've found a way to ruin birthdays. :evil-eye:

articles.titus2.com/celebrating-birthdays/

Archived