Sodium levels getting out of whack can be really dangerous. We went through this with both of my grandmothers near the end. It was horrible and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Hopefully, they'll get the levels stabilized - in extreme cases it can be fatal.

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ken was responding to comments within the last hour, so I suppose she is as okay as someone in her condition can be?? It's bizarre to me to see him blathering on while she lays in the ICU. I know the hours between visits can be long, but this still strikes me as odd. If my husband were in the ICU I wouldn't be able to focus at all.

A reader asked how Lori is doing, so we'll see if he responds.

I'd like to offer some snark-free advice to Ken. Perhaps it w I think Ken LOVES being part of the blog. He loves pontificating from on high and he loves the potential for gossip that it provides.

He likes nothing better than pontificating from on high. I was not a part of FJ when Ken stopped by to bless FJ with some mansplaining, but I read the thread. He was very frustrated that the FJites did not simply stand back in awe of his statements. It was clear he's not used to having anyone argue back with him, you could practically hear him stomping his feet in a tantrum. I think he was particularly bothered that the people responding to him were women and we're killing him with logic and his own words (some of which he would deny saying, even though it was in writing on earlier posts). He was very upset that the FJites were not grateful for his efforts to bring "reasonableness" to this "cat fight."

I realize his mind may be on other things now, but Ken's comment

So I see a big difference between a Jainsm's teaching and the teaching of the Word of God. The conscience of an unbeliever can condemn them, and some choose to not have premarital sex becaus they know it is wrong to rob the one they will marry of the joy of being the only one they have had sex with.

makes absolutely no sense to me. Yes, moral values and conscious do exist outside of Christianity, and it's nice to see some sort of grudging acknowledgement of that. That doesn't mean that his particular version of Christian values are the only obvious ones.

I'm neither Jain nor Christian, but we have friends who are. Occasionally, I've had a twinge of "if the Jains are right, I'm screwed for killing all these bugs". I mean, I don't like bugs at all, but I can theoretically see that they are living creatures and imagine that being squashed can cause distress.

With premarital sex, though, I heard plenty of reasons to wait - but "it is wrong to rob the one you will marry of the joy of being the only one you'll have sex with" was never one of them. Ever. I heard about the risk of pregnancy, and the idea that it was best to have children within a stable marriage. I heard about the risk of disease. I heard about wanting a relationship with commitment and not just sex. I heard that you don't want to feel used. I can't recall, though, ever having someone say that premarital sex was "robbing" a future spouse. I know that's a really common thought in some Christian circles, but I hadn't heard it until it came up in one of my cases. My thought was always that you could get upset if someone broke a promise to you (which is why extra-marital sex is bad), but you can't get upset that someone wasn't faithful to you before they even knew that you existed.

Since I don't trust Ken farther than I can throw him, I did a little research on low sodium levels.

Here is what levels should be: The normal sodium level is between 135-145 mEq/l, and levels below 110 mEq/l constitute a true emergency.

What I found interesting is that apparently low sodium levels (hyponatremia) is common in people with brain tumors. Since this is the case, you would think that her drs. have warned them about this and they'd know to keep an eye out for symptoms and get her to a dr. for testing right away.

Hyponatremia can cause edema in the brain, which is not good for anyone, but I'd think for someone with a tumor it'd be even worse.

Here are the symptoms of hypnoatremia: Patients may complain of with headache, nausea and vomiting, lethargy, and confusion. If the sodium concentration drops quickly to critical levels, seizures, coma, and death may occur.

It seems like Lori complains about many of those symptoms on a regular basis, which now knowing they are symptoms of a serious problem for a person with a brain tumor, I can't believe they are so cavalier about her "heavy pain cycles" and health issues.

Since I don't trust Ken farther than I can throw him, I did a little research on low sodium levels.

Here is what levels should be: The normal sodium level is between 135-145 mEq/l, and levels below 110 mEq/l constitute a true emergency.

What I found interesting is that apparently low sodium levels (hyponatremia) is common in people with brain tumors. Since this is the case, you would think that her drs. have warned them about this and they'd know to keep an eye out for symptoms and get her to a dr. for testing right away.

Hyponatremia can cause edema in the brain, which is not good for anyone, but I'd think for someone with a tumor it'd be even worse.

Here are the symptoms of hypnoatremia: Patients may complain of with headache, nausea and vomiting, lethargy, and confusion. If the sodium concentration drops quickly to critical levels, seizures, coma, and death may occur.

It seems like Lori complains about many of those symptoms on a regular basis, which now knowing they are symptoms of a serious problem for a person with a brain tumor, I can't believe they are so cavalier about her "heavy pain cycles" and health issues.

Good lord...

I am afraid the combination of Lori's DIY approach to health/medicine, and Ken's can't be bothered attitude may have landed Lori in a really bad medical situation. The fact that he had her up serving her own meals one day and in the ICU the next just blows my mind. How could he not see that she was in need of help?

A comment has been deleted from yesterday's post, but Ken's response to it remains. That, to me, indicates, Lori is back in the driver's seat of the blog. Leaving a response to a non-existent comment is very confusing, though; and she should delete the whole thread. Wish I could remember what the commenter had said :think: :think:

A comment has been deleted from yesterday's post, but Ken's response to it remains. That, to me, indicates, Lori is back in the driver's seat of the blog. Leaving a response to a non-existent comment is very confusing, though; and she should delete the whole thread. Wish I could remember what the commenter had said :think: :think:

I don't know, it seems her situation was pretty SEVERE. But on the other hand leaving the answers to deleted posts may well be Lori's confused mind doings. That or Kenhovah couldn't delete His Own Sacred Words.

However I'm also wondering how much of her usual illogicity can be illness related :think: ...imho the nastiness is all her own though :evil-eye:

This may land me in Bitch Corner TM again, but I don't have any sympathy for Lori. She's shown time and time again that she is incapable of feeling it for other people, including small children. A woman who thinks that beating a child so hard that you think you've broken her arm isn't abusive? A woman that kicks a small animal because she can't control her temper? A woman that tells people to force feed a screaming toddler? A woman that counsels abused wives to stick with their abusers and give it the old college try? Yeah, no. I'm not going to have sympathy for someone who supports inflicting pain and suffering on defenseless people and animals.

I don't wish her any harm, but I also don't give a rats ass if she's suffering.

Thank you! I thought I was the only one. While I certainly don't wish her dead, I just can't bring myself to be sympathetic at all towards her or Ken, and I try to have some empathy for anyone who's suffering even if they aren't good people. I'd be sad for her kids and grandkids if they lost Lori, but as for Lori and Ken? Nope. I'm starting to feel this way about a lot of fundies. I'm getting really sick of their shenanigans. Maybe I'm all fundied out.

I don't know, it seems her situation was pretty SEVERE. But on the other hand leaving the answers to deleted posts may well be Lori's confused mind doings. That or Kenhovah couldn't delete His Own Sacred Words.

However I'm also wondering how much of her usual illogicity can be illness related :think: ...imho the nastiness is all her own though :evil-eye:

You are right about the severity of her situation. I still can't comprehend how the blog is foremost on Ken's mind when Lori is so ill. I can't imagine Ken deleting a comment once he let it through: but then, IS Lori able to read the blog and manage it from the hospital bed. Such burning questions....Also, WHY NO UPDATE on her health? Her readers are surely concerned. Maybe Ken is sending private emails to all of them to keep the information from our evil FJ eyes??

I've never really gone for the idea that Lori's tumor is responsible for her illogical thought process and overall demeanor. I think she's dumb and mean, with or without a tumor. There, I said it; but still must add "of course, I wish her no harm."

*Of Course I Wish Her No Harm*....shall we call this the Zsu-Zsu Disclaimer? Wasn't her crisis pregnancy the thread that prompted us to add that to every post?

I guess one of the reasons I have such an adverse reaction to Lori is because she has brought so much pain and suffering to others. And those she couldn't bring it on, she's encouraged them to bring it on themselves or allow other people to bring it on them. And does the mean side of me think she deserves exactly what she's dished out? Yeah. For sure. But at the end of the day, I can't stand the thought of someone hurting. I don't think her suffering will make her or the world better. I just can't bring myself to wish her anything but a change of heart and relief from the pain she's in. I am honestly relieved she's in a hospital, where hopefully a doctor will get her on the proper meds. There's just no need for her to be in pain all the time.

Ken mentioned that Lori has weeks/months of blog posts preloaded to auto load each day .... so blog postings provide no information about her abilities on any particular morning.

Count me among the doubters about Ken's presence at the hospital. It really is positive thing for the staff if he doesn't show up. Perhaps Lori is relieved he's not there. Do her parents live nearby? They are probably they only ones that can comfort her the way she prefers, anyway.

About that old potato drama; I can't remember details but I think she merely wanted a cooked potato and it turned into a comedy of errors with various family members NOT GETTING HER A POTATO!! Is that anywhere near accurate? Anyway, when I'm sick I often want a potato to eat so my husband does something really crazy. He drives to the nearest fast food drive-through (Wendy's and Arby's has them in our area) and orders a plain baked potato - sometimes two. Of course there's no guarantee it is an ORGANIC potato but it certainly is a good potato. But we are just evil, lazy equal partners in this marriage so I doubt they'd want to take that suggestion.

Does anyone else find it funny that we evil FJ members are once again giving more sympathy and support to a wife than her hateful fundie husband?!? Remember how Cabinet Man ranked his wife a "6" and then posted a photo and we were all like "Wait....WHAT?!? :o :o :o "

She wanted a potato, so she asked her father to bring her vegetable soup :? He went by her favorite health food store, but got her chicken noodle instead. She wanted to make potatoes, but the ones they had were bad, so she asked Cassi to get some more. Cassi bought potatoes, brought them over, and made her a pot of homemade soup...without potatoes. She wanted to send Cassi mean text messages about making soup without potatoes :roll: So, 2 of her family members went out of their way to bring her food they thought she wanted while she was sick, and she was pissed at them because POTATO. When all she really needed to do to avoid this was just ask for a fucking potato instead of asking for soup and then being angry that soup wasn't potato.

Meanwhile, she would alternately force-feed and withhold food from her kids or grandkids, even as young as toddler age. And this is why I have very little sympathy for Lori. Even a sick adult has a more developed palate and is more rational than a small child, but Lori gives herself a pass in a way that she wouldn't even give her own granddaughter. She can't help the brain tumors that she had, but she can help the way she deals with the aftermath and the way she reacts to the pain/illness of others. She needs to get real about the seriousness of her condition and listen to her damn doctors. She needs to stop pushing quack remedies on her readers when she knows perfectly well that some conditions will not resolve themselves without modern medicine. "Always Learning" is a crock of shit, and she really needs to quit dragging others down with such stubborn, rude, ignorant advice.

ETA: The blog entry - lorialexander.blogspot.com/2012/05/having-pity-party.html

All of this was so she could learn to glorify god through not having potatoes. Again, suffering just like Jesus on the cross for lack of a specific food :roll:

She wanted to send Cassi mean text messages about making soup without potatoes :roll:

I asked my dad to stop by my favorite health food store and pick up some vegetable soup.

He brought me chicken noodle. No potatoes...I asked Cassi to buy me some potatoes. The next day I went to put a potato in the oven and all the potatoes were green with brown spots all over them. No potatoes...

The next day, she bought me some good potatoes and made a big pot of vegetable soup for me. I couldn't wait to finally have some potatoes. I went to get some soup and there was not ONE potato in the whole soup!!! I almost lost it. I did shed a few tears. I wanted to text her, "Where are the potatoes???" Make her feel bad, you know.

Kind of speaks volumes about what she's put those kids through...

The day before, my dad was visiting me and gave me a foot massage and read some of My Utmost For His Highest to me

Cassi and her dad were trying to help her, and she just wanted to make them feel bad.

Eventually she realized that Satan was just making her feel sorry for herself. Thank goodness it wasn't her fault!

Not sure about the latest deletions, but when I was reading up this weekend, I tried to see the comment exchange between her and Emily on August 31 (or 30?). Couldn't find it, and you all made it sound so very interesting... So perhaps there's been even more blog scrubbing recently.

Also, Ken is a douchecanoe of the highest order. Making Lori get her own soup and frozen corn when she's sick? No one bothering to get more medical attention for a clearly painful, ongoing issue? Ken saying that he might call a housekeeper over if things go on too much longer, because he can't be arsed to clean?

These people have spent decades torturing one another and their children, yet named their blog "Always Learning." Here at FJ, we have the most apt title for a thread ever.

Her Facebook has over 2,500 likes. How on earth does she have so many supporters?

I do feel bad for her, because being sick sucks...but only marginally so, and even less so if she knew her symptoms could indicate a serious condition and did nothing about it. I have a complex cardiac disorder and the last thing I would be doing is to ignore chest pain. Geez, Lori. It's common sense.

Side note...my actual diagnosis is a SEVERE complex CHD. I can't take myself seriously now that FJ has commandeered SEVERE because of Jill!

Not sure about the latest deletions, but when I was reading up this weekend, I tried to see the comment exchange between her and Emily on August 31 (or 30?). Couldn't find it, and you all made it sound so very interesting... So perhaps there's been even more blog scrubbing recently.

Also, Ken is a douchecanoe of the highest order. Making Lori get her own soup and frozen corn when she's sick? No one bothering to get more medical attention for a clearly painful, ongoing issue? Ken saying that he might call a housekeeper over if things go on too much longer, because he can't be arsed to clean?

These people have spent decades torturing one another and their children, yet named their blog "Always Learning." Here at FJ, we have the most apt title for a thread ever.

Aug.31 post about John Piper on her DIL's FB page. It's still there in the comments.

Aug.31 post about John Piper on her DIL's FB page. It's still there in the comments.

Ah, thank you! I only checked the blog. Off to search! :geek:

"I married a sicko but she is mine" is my country music song :).

That's Ken's comment to Cabinetman in 2014: lorialexander.blogspot.ca/2013/10/do-men-marry-just-for-sex.html

I must say that I find it horrifying how quickly a post went from "poor me, I spilled the soup and worked SO hard to make it" to "Lori is in the ICU".

I also find it a bit ironic that they were just bragging about how their kids learned to ignore physical problems. Trust me, that isn't necessarily a good thing. We occasionally have the odd "stoic WASP" patient or client where things go bad under our noses, because they didn't believe in complaining. I remember one woman who told her doctor that her back hurt, but it was my mom to took the initiative to call my husband and say, 'she told me that the pain was even worse than when she had breast cancer". Well, put that way, my husband told my mom to tell her friend to get herself to the ER ASAP, because it sounded like the breast cancer had come back. Unfortunately, it was too late.

That's Ken's comment to Cabinetman in 2014: lorialexander.blogspot.ca/2013/10/do-men-marry-just-for-sex.html

I thought it fit well, based on the accepted definition (see below)

sick·o

ˈsikÅ/Submit

noun informal

a mentally ill or perverted person, especially one who is sadistic.

Ken was responding to comments within the last hour, so I suppose she is as okay as someone in her condition can be?? It's bizarre to me to see him blathering on while she lays in the ICU. I know the hours between visits can be long, but this still strikes me as odd. If my husband were in the ICU I wouldn't be able to focus at all.

A reader asked how Lori is doing, so we'll see if he responds.

Most ICUs these days, unless maybe you are super critical or something like that, don't have the visitor limits/time limits that they used to.

When I've been in ICU, once I am settled in my room my husband has been allowed to stay for as long as he liked. Both times I was in ICU after my recent surgeries, he was in my room all day, every day the entire time I was in there, even during procedures (if he wanted to stay or I wanted him there).

Most ICUs these days, unless maybe you are super critical or something like that, don't have the visitor limits/time limits that they used to.

When I've been in ICU, once I am settled in my room my husband has been allowed to stay for as long as he liked. Both times I was in ICU after my recent surgeries, he was in my room all day, every day the entire time I was in there, even during procedures (if he wanted to stay or I wanted him there).

So glad that has changed. It's been years since I've had a loved one in the ICU and we had a really, really bad experience. Unfortunately, by the time I had read everyone that would listen the riot act, my grandfather has passed away- alone. They called me several hours after he died to let me know we could stay with him as much as we'd like. I'd already gotten it approved twice, but some bitch (I will never forgive her as long as I live) said she didn't care what they said. Anyway, by the time she was put in her place by hospital administrators he was gone. He was in a totally private ICU room the whole time. I have never gotten over it. That he died alone because of her (he was conscious the whole time) has left me bitter to say the very least.

Back on topic- I hope someone is with Lori, and I hope they've gotten her pain under control. The lack of updates kind of worries me though...

I've never been in an ICU room that wasn't a one person room. Never heard of one that wasn't. The last time, with someone I loved and lived with, when he was bad, precarious, there were no visiting hours--you could stay as long as you wished. It wasn't until he started to get better that they went back to visiting hours. Being told you can stay is only one step ahead of being offered a chaplain.

Thing about Ken and Lori is that they don't like or respect or honor each other. Dealing with each other takes an extra effort for each of them. I spect that having to deal with Ken makes Lori feel more awful. And vice versa. By tending to her blog, which she clearly does love, he can feel like he's actually doing something for her. Letting him, makes her feel like she's helping him deal.

I feel profoundly sorry for both of them who have basically wasted their entire adult lives trying to make nice with someone they feel contempt for. And whom they know feels contempt for them.

I realize that the lack of updates on Lori's health could mean many things. I wonder, though, if Ken hesitates to address it at all because then people would expect to know what he's doing for Lori and he's likely not dong much at all for her. I think if he were sitting at the hospital or taking care of her in any way, he'd be writing about it. For the love of Pete, he wrote a novel about making soup for her. He's not going to act as caregiver without letting the interwebz know about it.

I hope Lori recovers soon and writes a post about the people who did so much for her, conspicuously leaving Ken's name off the list.

Lori just posted in the super sekrit chatroom. She is in the hospital but well enough to post on fb i suppose. Similar to what ken said, her sodium levels were up to 110 "which is death level".

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived