IGNORED

What's In Your Garden?

Arete

Spent yesterday trying to get the raspberries under control. Previous owner hadn't removed much of the dead branches, so it was a almost a solid mass. My arms look AWFUL. Bu it means less to do in a year or two when it will all have to be cut waaaaay back so the garage siding can be redone.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@SpoonfulOSugar those garden towers look really clever.

I'm getting back into container planting, (I'm not good at watering things and we tend to go on holiday in July and com back to crispy stuff) I've moved away from that standard summer bedding plants and into alpines/succulents. They do really well despite my neglect.

I have however, treated myself to a new greenhouse this year, we're short on space so it's just one of those sets of shelves with a plastic cover. I've weighed it down with a concrete slab and attached it to the fence to stop it blowing over and it seems to be holding fast.

My tomato seeds are coming up along with my herbs (basil, parsley, chives) but I'm still waiting for my pepper seeds to sprout (they're indoors on a warm windowsill but I think they need more light. They're in the same propagator as the tomatoes so I think I need them in a separate one as I don't want the toms to get to leggy.

Otherwise, the daffodils are in full bloom along with the primroses..... So I can sit and watch them instead of getting on with splitting/repotting my bamboo :my_biggrin:

I just harvested endive from my garden! It tastes pretty sweet too. :)  

IMG_20160315_135134.thumb.jpg.39bc07779f

• 1 month later...
On 3/10/2016 at 2:58 PM, SpoonfulOSugar said:

We are going all out on container gardening this year.  We have a new GardenTower2 (anyone seen this lovely?), a four-tier cedar planter, and a whole bunch of individual containers.

@SpoonfulOSugar, thank you for the link, I've been trying to figure a new style of containers to add to the garden layout.  These are very unique, I know what I will be ordering Monday lol.

I'm sold on container gardening.  Years ago I eliminated the in-ground beds and had above ground plots built.  

:: I wanted to apologize again for my silly question concerning merged threads. You all have so much to attend to, and I should have figured out merged, means all is merged!  Again, I'm so sorry, I promise I'm really working on how to navigate a forum  :my_smile:.  Take care! ::

40 minutes ago, ALM7 said:

@SpoonfulOSugar, thank you for the link, I've been trying to figure a new style of containers to add to the garden layout.  These are very unique, I know what I will be ordering Monday lol.

I'm sold on container gardening.  Years ago I eliminated the in-ground beds and had above ground plots built.  

:: I wanted to apologize again for my silly question concerning merged threads. You all have so much to attend to, and I should have figured out merged, means all is merged!  Again, I'm so sorry, I promise I'm really working on how to navigate a forum  :my_smile:.  Take care! ::

No worries on the merge front.  I would have replied in that thread, but I didn't want to detract from those who really wanted to talk Prince. :)  I should have PM'd you to let you know it was all good.

(MERGED usually means "don't start another frickin' thread, please."  I just happened to be around when all those were created so I got a little testy.)

The gardentower has a group on Facebook that is VERY active.  (PM me if you cannot find it and I'll dig out a link.)  The tower intrigues me because it incorporates so many elements (like the worms and compost) and because it is so space friendly!  I haven't used it yet, though, so please don't hold it against me if something doesn't work.

:)  Happy planting.  I'm worried that one of my peppers has died from damping off, so I'm a bit kerfuffled at the moment.

On 24/04/2016 at 2:59 AM, SpoonfulOSugar said:

I'm worried that one of my peppers has died from damping off,

If we lived closer I would send you some of mine :P I have a shitload. I also forgot to write down which were which. I know they are peppers though.

7 minutes ago, OnceUponATime said:

If we lived closer I would send you some of mine :P I have a shitload. I also forgot to write down which were which. I know they are peppers though.

The mister is negotiating tomato trades . . . . 

Now mine have aphids, too.  I only have two varieties - a bell and an Anaheim type.  The Anaheim is now visibly taller than the bell.  (They were started together.)

I am very tempted to plant some of my peppers in a way that they can stay in the greenhouse.  (The heat would be a boon . . . . )

I've only had aphids on my mini purple eggplants. The slugs ate half of them and somehow the aphids disappeared once I put them in the greenhouse. I just don't know how aphids ended up inside the house!

7 minutes ago, SpoonfulOSugar said:

The mister is negotiating tomato trades . . . . 

I currently have enough. We tend to get the "leftovers" from relatives. Or relatives inform us that we are growing veggies for them, they get planted here and then miraculously another lot appears at their own house the next week and the veggies we care for on their behalf they never come and get. :roll: That was the premise of the stories of the 900 leek plants, the 30 tomato plants, and the 40 'extra' cabbage plants.

On 4/24/2016 at 7:59 PM, SpoonfulOSugar said:

No worries on the merge front.  I would have replied in that thread, but I didn't want to detract from those who really wanted to talk Prince. :)  I should have PM'd you to let you know it was all good.

(MERGED usually means "don't start another frickin' thread, please."  I just happened to be around when all those were created so I got a little testy.)

The gardentower has a group on Facebook that is VERY active.  (PM me if you cannot find it and I'll dig out a link.)  The tower intrigues me because it incorporates so many elements (like the worms and compost) and because it is so space friendly!  I haven't used it yet, though, so please don't hold it against me if something doesn't work.

:)  Happy planting.  I'm worried that one of my peppers has died from damping off, so I'm a bit kerfuffled at the moment.

To bolded...

I'm excited and can't wait to give it a try. I already have my space cleared and ready.

Thank you for posting the link! 

ETA: I have never PM'ed in my life, that I recall, (maybe AOL in the 90's) lol.  So I braved it just now and sent a PM to myself, I just learned how to do something new on FJ! 

14 hours ago, Terrie said:

I like leeks, but 900 seems a bit much

it was, less than half got consumed by humans. this winter we only had 400. We still have about 30% of it left. Most of it has started flowering now.

What do I have in my garden? TOO MANY TOMATOES. Okra. Peppers. And a metric ton of seeds I haven't done anything with yet. Whoops :doh:

I now have a new title:  Ladybug Herder.  They arrived this morning.  I put just a few out in the house on the peppers - did not see the voracious attack I was hoping for - lots of aimless wandering.

I ended up putting the peppers out in the greenhouse (it is a near call - temps are NOT kind) and so I sprinkled out a few more there.

We shall see.  DIE, APHIDS, DIE, DIE, DIE!!!

("No, I'm not blood-thirsty.  Whyever would you think THAT?!")

I think I'm putting my garden updates on my blog. What is currently in my garden? This!

• 11 months later...

I saved these irises from around a 1920s shotgun shack that was being torn down. I love them and they smell like grape soda. I'm so excited! A woman in an iris group I joined was able to identify them. They are call Alcazar and from around 1905. I love old flowers and am trying to get a small collection going in my yard.

iris.jpg

@frugaldreams, that iris is just lovely!  

right now, i have perennial flowers in various stages.  i'm at work, so i don't have any photos right now (i'll try to do some this evening if the weather cooperates).  

i'm way behind on my vegetable garden; we've had a cold wet spring (i ran the furnace this weekend for a few hours when it was 61F inside).  when it's ready, we will have tomatoes, sweet peppers, hot peppers, basil, pickling cucumbers, squash, beans, peas, garlic, raspberries, carrots, oregano, and maybe some corn.

We have had 40 degree nights/60 degree days until just this weekend with constant rain. Then BAM! In the 80s all weekend. I've had my tomatoes under green house buckets and I went and vented them yesterday. I don't quite trust the weather man even though he says it will stay warm all week. I have my squash in and 3 boxes of potatoes. I put in my cucumbers and transplanted my pickling seedlings and pumpkin seedlings yesterday in a fit of optimism. We shall see. It's been one of the coldest, wettest winters on record this year. But on the bright side my collard greens loved it, survived the winter, went bi-annual and are seeding all over the place.

I have an iris garden. In my veggie garden I have or will have tomatoes, green/red/orange bell peppers, cucumbers, okra, squash, green beans, purple hull peas. I also gave a strawberry patch (first successful one ever), and wild blackberries grow behind my house.

Half container and half in ground. We have a small rental in town. 

Onions, Carrots, Watermelon, cucumbers, yellow squash, zuchinni, 4 kinds of tomatoes and 5 kinds of peppers, rosemary, lavender,Greek oregano, sweet basil, purple basil, peppermint and 5 million flowers and succulents. We are two country kids trying to survive city life and we need intervention. 

I am SO glad I found the gardening thread on FJ! :dance:

I just want to say that you all are so lucky to have skill with growing fruits, veggies, and flowers! I am hoping the black thumb I currently have will turn green once the husband and I buy a house. I always manage to kill any plant that isn't a succulent, though my grandmother assures me that its because the lighting just isn't good enough for anything but Cacti in my apartment :pb_lol: I have a window office at work, but we've been told not to grow edible plants like rosemary or basil in our cubicles out of concern for fruit flies, so I use my window space to propogate more succulents! My coworkers tease me for taking random succulent leaves from places all the time.

With that being said, the little red tipped ones in the middle picture definitely did not get taken from a cutting near the monorail at Disneyland...nope...not at all :my_angel:

20170523_105932.jpg

20170523_105856.jpg

20170523_105812.jpg

Free irises must be in the air - my coworker and I just collected a sack from the opera house next door. They're landscaping and were gonna toss them all. 

I'm trying strawberries this year too :) 

I'm glad the gardening thread picked up. I wondered if I'd be posting into the black hole of the internet :)

I am currently obsessed with WWII Victory Gardens and have been working on getting my back yard garden up to snuff. It makes me feel better when I contemplate how much trouble our current administration might get us into, given the leaders penchant for butting heads with other megalomaniacs.

I got a pressure canner for a wedding gift and I fully intend to use it well this summer. I've already pickled asparagus but apparently I made it too tasty because there are only two jars left! LOL!

Archived