IGNORED

John Maxwell is a real estate agent???

Dru

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What does Joe do for a living?

He has a web development company called Swift Otter, with a laughable website and an equally laughable portfolio. You basically learn nothing about him other than the fact that he loves Jesus (one of the first things he mentions) and that he answers questions on StackOverflow, along with just about every other web professional the world over. One of the three sites in his portfolio is Titus 2. Oh, and he also gets help from Christopher and Jesse, who LOVE to program. The Maxwells are fucking clueless when it comes to dealing with the non-fundie professional world.

swiftotter.com

To the bolded, I think Steve is definitely one of the shadier characters in fundiedom. He's a master manipulator who maintains careful control over everything concerning the family, and while he may not lie outright, he commits the sin of omission which is still lying anyway you cut it. The fact that his sons dabble in so many failed or stalled businesses doesn't look good for the brand so he'll do whatever he can to keep things hushed up. I have no doubt that there's a LOT that goes on in Maxhell—none of it good—that we'll never hear about. Big Brother lives.

ETA, didn't an FJer check into licensing for plumbers and electricians in Kansas and that it's not what one would think. Basically, you take a test. No classes, no apprenticeships, nothing like that. I could be wrong but I seem to remember that.

Out of sheer curiosity - I googled. I haven't found the plumbing stuff yet, but: http://www.necanet.org/professional-dev ... egulations

Yep, journeyman experience is necessary for master electrician licensing in Kansas.

EHow is probably not a reliable source but it says that 2 years journeyman experience is the prerequisite for a Master Electrician license. http://www.ehow.com/info_12115767_kansa ... ments.html

Of course, the Grand Poo Bah who is immune from the risks of the Big Bad World could be a master electrician himself. Perhaps John's journeyman experience was working for Steve?

I agree, Steve is the master at lying by omission and one of the shadiest "Christians" we follow, although he has a lot of competition.

He has a web development company called Swift Otter, with a laughable website and an equally laughable portfolio. You basically learn nothing about him other than the fact that he loves Jesus (one of the first things he mentions) and that he answers questions on StackOverflow, along with just about every other web professional the world over. One of the three sites in his portfolio is Titus 2. Oh, and he also gets help from Christopher and Jesse, who LOVE to program. The Maxwells are fucking clueless when it comes to dealing with the non-fundie professional world.

swiftotter.com

Yep, I remember us all making fun of Swift Otter on another thread. The Maxwells think they are very good at inflating their resumes - but it doesn't take FJ long to point out how their experience is really narrow.

So is Jesse's "job" these days just programming and packing books? He is such a complete nonentity to me. He must be 20 by now?

Master Plumber (and electrician) don't mean the same thing in Maxwell Land (Ks/Leavenworth) as I thought they did. I was trying to figure out how they managed the long years of training my cousins had to become electricians on top of the years they would need to be plumbers, so I google.d

How to obtain a Plumbing License in the City of Leavenworth:

Contractor - $200.00

(The Plumbing contractor for the company does not have to get a separate master license.) Each

contractor shall file a Certificate of Insurance with the City of Leavenworth certifying public

liability insurance in the amount of $300,000 for any one accident or more and the property

damage and products liability in the amount of $50,000. Must provide a copy of Master

Plumber block score with a 75% or better.

Master Plumber - $35.00

Must work for a licensed contractor. Must provide a copy of Master Plumber block score with a

75% or better.)

Journeyman Plumber - $35.00

Must work for a licensed contractor. Must provide a copy of Journeyman Plumber block score

with a 75% or better.

Apprentice Plumber - $15.00

Must work for licensed contractor.

Gas Contractor - $200.00

(The gas contractor for the company does not have to get a separate master license.) Each

contractor shall file a Certificate of Insurance with the City of Leavenworth certifying public

liability insurance in the amount of $300,000 for any one accident or more and the property

damage and products liability in the amount of $50,000. (If never worked in the City of

Leavenworth before, you must provide a copy of Master Gas Fitter block score with a 75% or

better.)

Master Gas Fitter - $35.00

Must work for a licensed contractor. (If never worked in the City of Leavenworth before, must

provide a copy of Master Gas Fitter block score with a 75% or better.)

Journeyman Gas Fitter - $35.00

Must work for a licensed contractor. (If never worked in the City of Leavenworth before, must

provide a copy of Journeyman Gas Fitter block score with a 75% or better.)

The City of Leavenworth requires a separate license for each employee who works

in the City limits. Each license expires on December 31st

lvks.org/egov/documents/611451227288509.pdf

Note, everything I find on the written/computer tests are that they are open book. I see nothing here or in KS about the apprentice years and journeyman years needed before qualifying for a Master Plumber, unless you join the unions (Kansas is a "right to work" state which does not require union membership to work in traditional union jobs) . How old is John? If he did more than work for a licensed contractor and pass an open book test, is he old enough to have been through an apprentice ship (maybe 5 years each field) and working as a journeyman(more years) in two different fields to have worked his way up, or did he work for Maxwell Construction or some other family friend (who would have paid to be a licensed contractor) took the open book tests and ta-da, he's master of all he surveys.

Actually, I'd guess that the Maxwell kids are bright enough and if anything, memorizing information to get licensed (ie, take tests that repeat back knowledge from books) would be right up their alley and sort of like their entire homeschooling experience.

But I am pretty sure he never put in the time or years my cousins in MO did to become master electricians.. years and years of experience beyond testing.

swiftotter.com

Thanks. I'm honestly surprised the Maxwell men are able to financially sustain themselves and their large families.

swiftotter.com

Unless you ask Steve, who says Joe works for CCI full time. Interestingly (or not) the Communications Concepts website lists Nathan's IT work, 1Ton, and Chris's Photography. No Swift Otter.

ETA- John is 24.

What awful pictures for what looks to be a really nice house. Only the last couple of outside pictures are clear. I'm terrible at taking pictures, but at least I know how to focus my cell phone camera!

Yeah, my uncle is a master electrician in MI and it took him FOREVER to get to that level. I find it literally incredible that John has become a master electrician at age 24, PLUS a master plumber too. He'd have had to start apprenticing one or the other when he was four or something.

And then why would he be messing around with the irrigation and selling houses and stuff when he could be making absolute bank as a plumber? We just had one out because our basement ceiling was dripping and paid $350 for an hour of work. Totally worth it - the ceiling isn't dripping anymore - but why would John be wasting his time with these pissant businesses instead of using his master skills to rake in serious cash?

I have nothing to add but that John looks HOT in that real estate picture.

Yum

That is all.

Working for commission doesn't mean working for someone, apparently. However, just because you have got a real estate license doesn't mean you will ever sell a house.

He's in an agency though that he doesn't own. This is going to be interesting. He can't discriminate. It's against the law.

Err, before this becomes gospel, John's website is still under construction (and following the link to his page from the profile listed in the OP brings up a phishing warning), there is no FAQ page and JohnHugh was funnin'. Not this something like this is out of the realm of possibility—he is Steve's spawn, after all—but it's just a joke. :mrgreen:

Thanks sparkles xx

He's in an agency though that he doesn't own. This is going to be interesting. He can't discriminate. It's against the law.

You know...I don't know that he would discriminate, actually. He seems to be the least Maxwellian Maxwell, and I think the less Steve mentions him, the more it points to John not behaving as Steve would like.

I'm certainly not suggesting he's clubbing every weekend and regularly coming home drunk with fast women lol, but his irrigation website had no mention of God etc, neither does his real estate profile unlike the rest of the family's various sites, and he actually did leave the country at one point. He doesn't seem to feel the need to throw religion in the face of everyone he meets, and he's my bet for Maxhell Escapee of the Future™.

You know...I don't know that he would discriminate, actually. He seems to be the least Maxwellian Maxwell, and I think the less Steve mentions him, the more it points to John not behaving as Steve would like.

I'm certainly not suggesting he's clubbing every weekend and regularly coming home drunk with fast women lol, but his irrigation website had no mention of God etc, neither does his real estate profile unlike the rest of the family's various sites, and he actually did leave the country at one point. He doesn't seem to feel the need to throw religion in the face of everyone he meets, and he's my bet for Maxhell Escapee of the Future™.

Well Steve better tighten the reins before his son goes all wild and makes friends with his co-workers.

I think Steve gives John a little more freedom because he knows John needs it. I think his total control approach was backfiring and he had to compromise.

What awful pictures for what looks to be a really nice house. Only the last couple of outside pictures are clear. I'm terrible at taking pictures, but at least I know how to focus my cell phone camera!

I would be angry if those were the pictures my agent posted. It is a nice, spacious house in good condition--I'd take it!--but the pictures don't show it to its best advantage. Could he not get Master Photographer Christopher to come take the photos?

And then why would he be messing around with the irrigation and selling houses and stuff when he could be making absolute bank as a plumber? We just had one out because our basement ceiling was dripping and paid $350 for an hour of work. Totally worth it - the ceiling isn't dripping anymore - but why would John be wasting his time with these pissant businesses instead of using his master skills to rake in serious cash?

Good point.

That house is huge and cheap! The kitchen cabinets are hideous and there is a lot of wasted space in the master bedroom and living room. Not to my liking, but I live in an area where extra space = extra heating costs. And 300k gets a tiny house with a long commute.

There is no way they are electricians and plumbers. I'm not in Kansas, but around here, there's no real way to become a tradesman or woman without the union.

I think Steve gives John a little more freedom because he knows John needs it. I think his total control approach was backfiring and he had to compromise.

I think Steve watches John take increasingly more freedom, because he can do jack shit to stop him. I think his total control approach backfired as often as Uriah's windscreen cracked, and he has to sit tight and keep sweet for fear that John could be the one to blow his cult up into a million rebellious pieces. :D

You know that is exactly what Steve-o is terrified of. There has been much speculation that Stevie was a man of lesser morals while he was in the service, and some of the guilt from his wilder years is one of many reasons that he holds such tight control over his family.

I wonder if Stevehovah and John have ever had an actual confrontation regarding John's freedom. Maybe not coming to physical blows or anything like that, but John is one of several grown men in that house and it wouldn't surprise me if at some point he snapped and told his dear old dad to fuck off........in a Maxwellian way, of course.

ETA: I just realized that John is now 1 of 2 grown men in that house, but the point still stands. All of his brothers were grown men for quite a while (Christopher especially) before they were released to be married and live 1/2 block away. Maybe viewing his brothers' lives hasn't set well with him.

So I did a quick record search to see if John has bought a house recently since there's been on and off speculation that he's courting. Nothing yet. However, I did notice that while Nathan and Joe have added their wives as co-owners of their houses Christopher has not. While I have no illusion that I'd want to hang with Joe or Nat, I'm pretty sure Chris takes the crazy to another level.

On the real estate front, probably the only people who will want to have him as a sellers agent or buyers agent at the moment will be Fundies. Most people want an agent with experience. He will have to branch out eventually and work with people outside that little Fundie circle if he wants to make real money from it, however.

I think John is/was probably the most rebellious Maxwell child and perhaps, as others have said, Steve gives him a bit more rope to avoid losing him forever. I think Teri said something about John being the hardest child to break. Not an exact quote.

Re. the bolded, we can but hope, but I fear you are being overoptimistic. What we are looking at now is a modified version of the irrigation website. I got all optimistic when I saw he'd edited out all the God-speak a few months ago, but the Godly stuff was certainly there in the first draft and in the Maxwell Construction site. Unfortunately, his report on his return from mystery nation was also fairly gag-worthy, and I think he probably still throws Jesus in everyone's faces.

I think it is more likely that Steve has realized that all the God stuff in the advertising puts main-stream people off hiring or working with Maxwells. The Maxwells seem to be hurting a bit for cash these days, what with the conferences drying up. John has probably been granted permission to wipe the Godly stuff from his RE profile and website, with the proviso that he proselytizes customers and clients as soon as the checks have cleared.

I think it will take a lot for one of the kids to overcome Steve's indoctrination and flee Maxhell. I hope it is John, or even Jesse, who seems a bit of a dark horse. I also hope whoever flees the compound takes the girls with them, although I think it will take a lot to pry them loose from Steve's iron fist!

My parents were licensed real estate brokers and it was a side business. Dad and his brother ran the family grocery store, and Mom and Dad ran their real estate operation from home. I know many people for whom real estate isn't full-time work. You're sort of like a free-lancer--you can put as many hours into it as you want.

I would be angry if those were the pictures my agent posted. It is a nice, spacious house in good condition--I'd take it!--but the pictures don't show it to its best advantage. Could he not get Master Photographer Christopher to come take the photos?

Good point.

Pretty sure "Christopher Maxwell Photography" is ghosted in the lower RH corner of every photo.

The photos appear all to have been taken with a wide angle lens. Weird ... doesn't seem to be a need for it.

John looks a tad crazy eyed in his RE photo.

I completely agree, MamaJunebug on all three of your pronouncements. The first thing I noticed was the piano in the living room seemed a bit...long. Then I saw that all of the rooms looked huge (which is to be expected in a 3000 plus sf house) but even the hallways and the ceilings looked off. Also John's picture is horrible. He looks like a crazy-eyed fanatic. No way would I want to meet with him alone.

Archived