IGNORED

Razing Ruth?

ShepherdontheRock

10 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

Who lies and said they did when they didn't?

Clearly, someone who wants attention or is has a hard time differentiating between fantasy and reality.

Jesus, someone tell Burris about historical fiction websites (since they felt so compelled to make the story up) 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, theinvisiblegirl said:

Another rabbit hole you can go down is all that happened with AnnoDomini. I've never heard of Burrisgate, so I can't wait to go down that rabbit hole. And Razing Ruth is always an interesting rabbit hole to fall down.

Oh, so AD is Anno Domini? I've seen that a few places, but thought it might have something to do with Alecto (haven't gone down that one yet). Maybe have the rescue ferrets on standby for me, too... 

Just now, Lillymuffin said:

Oh, so AD is Anno Domini? I've seen that a few places, but thought it might have something to do with Alecto (haven't gone down that one yet). Maybe have the rescue ferrets on standby for me, too... 

I was very confused by the AD references, too, and finally saw enough to piece together possible user names. Fair warning that the topic is 58 pages long, and I'm not even halfway through it myself. But since linking to it now, I've fallen down the rabbit hole once more.

9 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

Can somebody please throw me a rope and call the rescue ferrets? I'm drowning in Burrisgate. Holy shit, who admits to participating in war crimes on a snark board? 

Who praises an alledged war criminal for her honesty and bravery?

Answer: a lot of posters on FJ. :my_rolleyes:

9 hours ago, theinvisiblegirl said:

I was very confused by the AD references, too, and finally saw enough to piece together possible user names. Fair warning that the topic is 58 pages long, and I'm not even halfway through it myself. But since linking to it now, I've fallen down the rabbit hole once more.

I am tantalised by this one and only need a few more posts to be able to read it! I really try not to post unless I've got something I really want to say though, which is why it's taken me over a year to get this far, but a new drama rabbit hole I hadn't heard of before is a great incentive! :kitty-wink:

I never read the RR threads, just because from what I could pick up she seemed like a garden-variety scammer for money.  Burrisgate, now, I found really interesting.  The way she revealed the story was chilling, and there seemed to be no clear motivation to do so.

My own opinion is that it was some type of social experiment, with maybe a crazy motivation but possibly not.  For example, possibly somebody was writing a novel with a war criminal as the main character, and trying to see if they could find just the right tone to get people to empathize with the character.  Or, doing a thesis on how far people's sympathies for another person will bend if they perceive the person as someone they know.  Not sure, but I found it fascinating as well as creepy.

AD I haven't read and know nothing about - might have to go down that rabbit hole sometime when I'm less busy.

• 1 month later...
On 8/12/2015 at 4:59 AM, Curious said:

We may need to bring in some new ferrets. I think we might have a couple people that went down the Rodriguez rabbit hole that haven't resurfaced yet.

I returned the ferrets that rescued me from Ken and Lori's history. I'm a little afraid to go down any more rabbit holes now, lol.

1 hour ago, kunoichi66 said:

wait, what happened with Allecto?

*goes to search*

Here's a good summary from, of all places, GOMI:

It's been a while so the details are a little fuzzy but I think the old owner was accepting donations & using advertising to help run FJ. She claimed she was working like 40+ (maybe more) hours a week to run the board & the advertising wasn't enough to cover all expenses, hence the request for donations.  She then proceeded to buy herself a new laptop as well as compensate herself for the hours she spent "working" on FJ. If I remember correctly  it didn't appear much, if any, of the money or her time was actually being used to improve the board. She also attempted to make FJ a LLC in order run some other blogs/boards under the FJ umbrella. It was all pretty shady. Curious (the current owner) & some other mods became suspicious & confronted her. The old owner tried to defend herself but after being called out by nearly everyone she finally handed the board over to Curious.                   

During this drama another issue came to light. The old owner and some long time members/moderators had a secret Facebook group. They were using it to discuss FJ business as well as talk smack about other members. Basically, it was a high school clique & some FJers who weren't invited became irate about it. When the existence of the Facebook group was exposed most of the clique members left FJ. I know there is probably more to the story but I can't recall it. Maybe one of the old members on here can add something.

14 hours ago, Georgiana said:

Here's a good summary from, of all places, GOMI:

ooooooh, I see.

Thanks!  That explains a lot.

• 2 months later...
On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 2:50 PM, Lillymuffin said:

Another rabbit hole you can go down is all that happened with AnnoDomini. I've never heard of Burrisgate, so I can't wait to go down that rabbit hole. And Razing Ruth is always an interesting rabbit hole to fall down.

Just wanted to say.....with loving sarcasm....thank you so much for sending me down the AD rabbit hole. I just spent 2 days reading that crap. That is time I will never get back. All I can say is thank goodness I missed it.

• 1 month later...

OMG! I just barely/intermittently follow all this stuff but I remember reading about razing Ruth  (on her blog), I had no idea that turned out to be a scam!

• 1 year later...

Admittedly I'm resuscitating a long-dead thread, but I was bored (re: trying to get some sleep after being up all night with tummy issues) and just clicked on The AnnoDomini thread above. What have you guys done to me?? I'm only on page 3 and I have 55 pages to go (this whole ordeal started 4-5 months before I discovered FJ, so it was "before my time.") Send rescue ferrets, s'il vous plait.

3 hours ago, PopRox said:

Admittedly I'm resuscitating a long-dead thread, but I was bored (re: trying to get some sleep after being up all night with tummy issues) and just clicked on The AnnoDomini thread above. What have you guys done to me?? I'm only on page 3 and I have 55 pages to go (this whole ordeal started 4-5 months before I discovered FJ, so it was "before my time.") Send rescue ferrets, s'il vous plait.

Thanks so much, because this popped up I’m heading there myself . I was here during the RR fall out. But I’m clueless about this AD stuff ugh I’m pretty sure I’m going to regret falling down the hole but darn it , i can’t resist. 

Same here; i’ve heard general summaries of RR and B, but i’m completely out of the loop on AD. I may take one of those ferrets with me.......

Oh my God. Time for some threads now that I'm done with exams. I remember Ruth, but missed her unmasking, AD, and Alectogate because I was on hiatus from lurking back then (I tried to go back right when the site was closed after Alecto, so I thought it was closed down for good!) I did witness Burris in real time...that one was a wild ride.

That was exhausting. I might need a few shots instead of wine to recover from that. The ferrets dragged me back up for air every dozen pages or so. They did their job well; they’re all sleeping soundly  in their den right now.  

Still not enough posts to read about AD, which I know absolutely know nothing about, but it is first on my list when I do! Please put ferrets on standby! 

I just started Razing Ruth part 3 and all I can say is thank Rufus my Christmas is all set. My gifts are bought (still need wrapped), groceries purchased, and kids are out of school. What a rabbit hole! And here I thought I’d be bored for the next few days. 

Im going back in. I’ll be back...

I just spent the better part of my afternoon and then a few hours post shift at work reading the AD thread. I was supposed to be cleaning the house but I couldn't look away! Good thing my phone goes off when it's time to get ready for work I or I would have been late. 

• 3 weeks later...

Woah all these scammers remind me of something. My little sister got to know another girl in an online game. They were both 14 years old I believe. That girl however claimed to have incurable cancer and that she would go to hospice care soon. They quickly became friends and my sister was constantly worried and sent into emotional distress whenever her friend had some more bad news for her about her health.

Thank God I happened to be in the same online game and searched all her posts because some details of her story contradicted each other (she had made a post about doing her Latin homework while she claimed she was going to die soon and when confronted with that, she said she was doing it "for fun", the picture that was supposed to show her bald head just showed her wearing a beanie with all her hair tucked underneath etc.). Our parents also became worried and were trying to find out the truth because my sister was often crying and when that girl didn't call her back or write a message for some time feared she had died etc. 

However, that girl was stupid enough to give my sister her real address and one day our father put her in the car and drove to that address. Surprise, the girl was super healthy, no cancer/bald head/whatsoever and it had all been a show. She then claimed she had invented it all to escape the reality that her dad abuses her/doesn't love her enough (I don't remember which one it was). Probably also a lie. 

I'm glad that that girl still was so young and a bit naive when I see what stories and moneygrabbing scams adults set up!

The weirdest thing about this though is that my sister and that girl became even better friends after the truth came out! She is her best friend now. But my sister has developed mental health issues too (self-harm, depression I know of, maybe something else too) so maybe that's an explanation. Still I don't get how she forgave her so quickly. 

Well that was the story about my experiences with fake stories on the internet. 

My mother had cervical cancer, after her death I joined a few support groups and “met” an amazing young woman who was terminally ill. She had a very young child, a tragic life and was fighting like hell to stay alive. She appeared on national tv numerous times, we spent New Year’s Eve awaiting updates on whether she had survived major surgery and eventually discovered she was perfectly healthy and had faked the entire thing. She was so convincing that even 3 years on I find myself wondering how she is and then I have to remind myself that she was never ill. Online crazies are the craziest of the lot!

Archived