IGNORED

Everything About Harry Potter And Other Childhood Classics!

Anny Nym

Gotta read the books again. Read them when they first came out, then re read them before each new one. Only watched one movie. Must borrow them from grandson.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Here you go:

Hide contents

- Evan (for Lily and Petunia Evans)

- Angelina

-Katie

- Alicia

- Any Weasley name

- James

- Harry

- Brian (hi Dumbledore!)

- Kendra

- Ariana

- Sybil

- Tom (shudder)

- Gregory

- Vincent

- Oliver

- Alice

- Frank

- Amelia

- Susan

- Emmeline

- Amos

- Arabella

- Dean

- Colin

- Dennis

- Seamus

- Dirk

- Helena

- Marjorie

- Lavender

- Nicolas

- Rita

- Poppy

- Zacharias

- Viktor

Thank you!! :pb_lol: I'll have to save this.

2 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

A friend named her son Griffyn. When he learns something new she always says, "10 points to Gryffindor!" And he squeals with glee. :)

That is so cute!!! That makes me want to have a baby and teach them to do that. My friend taught her three year old how to say wingardium leviosa. I need to buy him a wand.

As for Harry's kids names and not honoring Remus...don't even get me started on the name Albus Severus. 

• Upvote 3

I just got my oldest into Harry Potter. I figured I would share my love. Well now he has a wand, Voldemort's, He's been sorted into Slytherin, and loves Pottermore. I mean loooooooooooves Pottermore. We are taking him to his first comicon thing next month, and he is excited to cosplay. I have created a monster, and I love it.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

42 minutes ago, SadieJane said:

I just got my oldest into Harry Potter. I figured I would share my love. Well now he has a wand, Voldemort's, He's been sorted into Slytherin, and loves Pottermore. I mean loooooooooooves Pottermore. We are taking him to his first comicon thing next month, and he is excited to cosplay. I have created a monster, and I love it.

That's awesome! My friend said her son loves all the bad guys! I guess he's a Slytherin? His little sister is only one, so she hasn't been sorted yet. 

I'm not sure where to post this, but the writer of the infamous "My Immortal" may have been identified!! https://www.buzzfeed.com/alannabennett/my-immortal-author-hi-vampire?utm_term=.uaz6Emr2vq#.chbzroDPvV

I was freaking out so much at work today!

• Upvote 3

Omg they found her?!?!? I kind of want to be stalkery, but part of me wants to wait until she is super comfortable with her status before I do it! Ahhhhhh will I be a good little fan girl or a bad one? I dunno!

10 minutes ago, Bethella said:

@VelociRapture You forgot to add Neville to your list.

That dog is magnificent.

• Upvote 1

I think I'm going to finally need to read Harry Potter if I ever want to know what the hell you people on FJ are talking about. :pb_lol: I can't count how many times I've been so confused about wtf is going on, and it turns out it's Harry Potter!

• Upvote 8

17 minutes ago, Coy Koi said:

I think I'm going to finally need to read Harry Potter if I ever want to know what the hell you people on FJ are talking about. :pb_lol: I can't count how many times I've been so confused about wtf is going on, and it turns out it's Harry Potter!

wow, i thought i was the only person to not have read HP! i tried...but it just didn't hold my interest

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Once we upgrade the software  we will be able to have Clubs on the forum.  We are planning a book club along with several others :)

• Upvote 2

• 3 years later...

I honestly have no idea what forum to put this in. Yeah ordinarily Harry Potter goes in Worldly Distractions but PEOPLE MADE A WHOLE ASS NEW RELIGION TO WORSHIP SEVERUS SNAPE. Some excerpts below. I had to resist just quoting the whole damn thing.

Consider the Snapewives

A definition in Urban Dictionary sheds some additional light: “A group of middle-aged women on the internet who believe they are all married to Severus Snape from the Harry Potter books—on the astral plane. They have real-life meetings where they take turns channeling the spirit of Snape so they can have wedding ceremonies with him.”

Snapewives built “domestic and/or online shrines to Snape” by “making collages.... photoshopping pictures of oneself and Snape together.”

Yeah, I had a running joke in high school with my XC coach about me being married to Harry (he started it), but the farthest it went was me making a purposely terrible photoshop of me and BOOK HARRY getting married just to get a reaction. And then my grandma thought it was so funny she knitted me a hat that says “Mrs. Potter” but I felt too much shame to actually wear it. Because even I have my limits. 

And the time my friend, who was also on the team,  wrote “(My first name) Boo-Boo Potter (my last name) VIX” on my history assignment in sharpie and I just left it because I figured I can’t cross it out effectively and my name is on there. 

The most notorious Snapewives were far more extreme in their interest in Snape, an obsession that was documented in a 2013 academic paper by Zoe Alderton of the University of Sydney. Alderton described Snapewives’ devotion to the fictional character as a religion of sorts, deeming them Snapeists who followed Snapeism

I want to meet the person that convinced an academic journal to publish such nonsense. But based on the Jezebel summary this woman seems pro-Snapeism

Life goal: publish an academic article related to Harry Potter. 
pArticle linked here: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/276042424_'Snapewives'_and_'Snapeism'_A_Fiction-Based_Religion_within_the_Harry_Potter_Fandom

The article is about three women who claimed that Snape speaks to them and they created a religious doctrine.

Then the article gets into these women projecting themselves and gender dynamics 

Edited by HarryPotterFan
Adding words
  • WTF 3

Oh darn I was going to come up with a catchy title but I forgot.

Snapewives - The religion you wish I never told you about

Snapewives:  Making JRod look sane since the aughts

Snapewives - Proof of Rule 34

Snapewives - why, just why

Snapewives - The S in greasy slimeball stands for sexy

I couldn’t fall asleep last night so I can’t come up with anything clever right now. I’ll have to ask my Harry Potter trivia friends

• Haha 3

Hmm maybe I can join that club. It sounds better than the Rodrigues club (or the Maxwell /Duggar /Bontrager /Anderson)... More fun, less child bearing... 

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

I honestly have no idea what forum to put this in. Yeah ordinarily Harry Potter goes in Worldly Distractions but PEOPLE MADE A WHOLE ASS NEW RELIGION TO WORSHIP SEVERUS SNAPE. Some excerpts below. I had to resist just quoting the whole damn thing.

Consider the Snapewives
Yeah, I had a running joke in high school with my XC coach about me being married to Harry (he started it), but the farthest it went was me making a purposely terrible photoshop of me and BOOK HARRY getting married just to get a reaction. And then my grandma thought it was so funny she knitted me a hat that says “Mrs. Potter” but I felt too much shame to actually wear it. Because even I have my limits. 

And the time my friend, who was also on the team,  wrote “(My first name) Boo-Boo Potter (my last name) VIX” on my history assignment in sharpie and I just left it because I figured I can’t cross it out effectively and my name is on there. 

I want to meet the person that convinced an academic journal to publish such nonsense. But based on the Jezebel summary this woman seems pro-Snapeism

Life goal: publish an academic article related to Harry Potter. 
pArticle linked here: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/276042424_'Snapewives'_and_'Snapeism'_A_Fiction-Based_Religion_within_the_Harry_Potter_Fandom

The article is about three women who claimed that Snape speaks to them and they created a religious doctrine.

Then the article gets into these women projecting themselves and gender dynamics 

Man, that is.....something else.  Humans really can make a religion out of anything.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, The Mother Dust said:

Man, that is.....something else.  Humans really can make a religion out of anything.  

I know Snape is one of the most fascinating and complicated characters in the Harry Potter world, but making a religion around him is a bit over the top.

Sounds like these ladies have a really big crush on him.  

• Upvote 3

Do they have a crush on Snape or one on Alan Rickman? Either way ... totally insane.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

Do they have a crush on Snape or one on Alan Rickman? Either way ... totally insane.

Seems like they love Snape. The fact that Alan Rickman has an amazing voice made it worse. These people rabidly defend all the bad things Snape did and villainize Lily for not loving him

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, nokidsmom said:

I know Snape is one of the most fascinating and complicated characters in the Harry Potter world, but making a religion around him is a bit over the top.

Sounds like these ladies have a really big crush on him.  

True. Also, he’s not even a good looking and sexy bad boy, he has greasy hair and serves (or rather pretends to serve) a guy without a nose (aka He who must not be named aka Voldemort) 

Like, make a religion about Draco Malfoy, at least he lives in a mansion and appears to wash regularly ?

15 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

These people rabidly defend all the bad things Snape did and villainize Lily for not loving him

Seriously? ?? I mean... that’s slightly disturbing but also kinda funny. 

22 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

I wouldn’t mind if it was on Alan Rickman, he was an amazing actor - I can’t imagine a more accurate Snape - and he passed far too young. But a crush on Snape? How’s that possible? 

Edited by FluffySnowball
  • Love 1

22 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

I remember the women who looooooved Snape on message boards, pre-movies. Incidently, Alan Rickman and Maggie Smith were both popular picks for "who would you cast if there was a film" type posts. 

OH GOD THAT WAS 20 YEARS AGO. 

• Love 1

Just to be clear I adore Alan Rickman. I loved him in Sense and Sensibility, Robin Hood, Die Hard. I thought he was an absolutely brilliant actor and his voice...ah his voice. Anyway I could understand a crush on him but to make a religion on a character? Even a very complex, interesting character kind of blows my mind. There's enough whack-a-doodle religions/cults in the world we don't need more. Someone needs to teach these ladies about fan fiction instead.

• I Agree 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

I remember the women who looooooved Snape on message boards, pre-movies. Incidently, Alan Rickman and Maggie Smith were both popular picks for "who would you cast if there was a film" type posts. 

OH GOD THAT WAS 20 YEARS AGO. 

The Snapewives started in the mid-late 2000s, it’s even more disturbing to think people were like this BEFORE Alan Rickman was cast. Before we even knew he was motivated by his love for Lily. Were these women like, “Ooh, yea, sexy child abuser! Bully that orphan harder!”

I try not to think about how long ago the first movie and book came out. Makes me feel old.

1 hour ago, WiseGirl said:

There's enough whack-a-doodle religions/cults in the world we don't need more. Someone needs to teach these ladies about fan fiction instead.

Agreed. But at least these women are horrifying in an amusing train wreck sort of way, instead of the usual asshats who manage to gain enough power to affect OUR lives 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

45 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

The Snapewives started in the mid-late 2000s, it’s even more disturbing to think people were like this BEFORE Alan Rickman was cast. Before we even knew he was motivated by his love for Lily. Were these women like, “Ooh, yea, sexy child abuser! Bully that orphan harder!”

If I remember correctly (and I do), I got really into HP right before the fourth book came out, which was the summer of 2000. It wasn't very long after that they announced the "official" cast, as the first movie came out about a year later, in the winter. But that first summer, though, when I realized that the series wasn't done yet, and that the internet was a place for speculation on "what's going to happen next?"... that's when I met some very odd ducks. The dozens of people posting with variations on "Mrs. Snape." The weird fan theories (IS SNAPE A VAMPIRE?) (DUMBLEDORE'S ANIMAGUS IS A BEE) (DUMBLEDORE IS VOLDEMORT AND HERES MY PROOF),. The never ending supply of completely inappropriate fanfiction and shipping. (Hermione/Minerva, Draco/Snape, Harry/Draco, Hermione/Snape, basically if you can think of a combination of two random characters, someone on the internet has posted a treatise on how there is "contextual support" within the novels. It was gross. Especially the ones that were illegal. 

And then the long rambling essays about how Snape is "misunderstood" ... I think some of them were just really into the "goth" thing, some had trouble reading what the books actually said, and some were just really into the "bad boy" thing. 

• 3 months later...