IGNORED

Everything About Harry Potter And Other Childhood Classics!

Anny Nym

Hey, all!

Another Slytherin here. It's funny because I always expected to get sorted into Ravenclaw. I was soooooooooo disappointed and even a wee bit embarrassed when Slytherin came up. I've been through the scenes (up to wherever they were at the time) on Pottermore, but I'm so so about it because so much is necessarily omitted.

I referenced this on another thread to OKTBK, but I didn't realize "lairy" was a word, so the fact that the fat woman says, "Lairy Fights" when she is drunk seemed like just a transposition. The joke went right over my head until OKTBK was using lairy all on its own here and something finally clicked.

My parents read "The Hobbit" to us when we were still fairly young (complete with all the sssss's in preeeecioussssss) and it remains one of my favorite books. I tend to be more of a mystery girl than fantasy now - Dick Francis will forevermore be at the top of my favorite author list. (Felix - meh - not so much.)

One aspect of JK Rowling that I like is her wit - she gets mentioned regularly for comments she has made on social media and I find that very engaging.

For a while, I had all the HP books in reading rotation, and whenever my current book paled, I would switch to them. I cannot tell you any more how many times I've read through the series. It's like picking up old friends.

And now I'm going off to a quiet castle window seat (or maybe just my bed) for some peace.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey, all!

Another Slytherin here. It's funny because I always expected to get sorted into Ravenclaw. I was soooooooooo disappointed and even a wee bit embarrassed when Slytherin came up. I've been through the scenes (up to wherever they were at the time) on Pottermore, but I'm so so about it because so much is necessarily omitted.

I referenced this on another thread to OKTBK, but I didn't realize "lairy" was a word, so the fact that the fat woman says, "Lairy Fights" when she is drunk seemed like just a transposition. The joke went right over my head until OKTBK was using lairy all on its own here and something finally clicked.

My parents read "The Hobbit" to us when we were still fairly young (complete with all the sssss's in preeeecioussssss) and it remains one of my favorite books. I tend to be more of a mystery girl than fantasy now - Dick Francis will forevermore be at the top of my favorite author list. (Felix - meh - not so much.)

One aspect of JK Rowling that I like is her wit - she gets mentioned regularly for comments she has made on social media and I find that very engaging.

For a while, I had all the HP books in reading rotation, and whenever my current book paled, I would switch to them. I cannot tell you any more how many times I've read through the series. It's like picking up old friends.

And now I'm going off to a quiet castle window seat (or maybe just my bed) for some peace.

I re-read the series and watch the movies every summer (and sometimes winter holidays too). It's my favorite ritual and something I look forward to every year.

Ravenclaw here as well.

*whispers* I joined Pottermore when I was 20 years old.

I joined at 22 after resisting for years. Worth it :D

Coming over from the Joshley Madison thread to ask for recommendations re: the dueling audiobook narrators! I haven't read the books (*hangs head*), but am looking for a new series to listen to on my commute!

Student Nurse, Visiting Nurse

Would that be Cherry Ames by any chance? LOL. I also liked Trixie Belden and of course, Nancy Drew. Then I started reading the same series that my mother and her sister enjoyed as girls. During a move they all went missing so now whenever I am in a used book store I look for them. (On line they are way too expensive.)

I really liked the first 2 HP books but lost interest while waiting for subsequent installments to be published although I bought them all. Maybe I'll have to revisit them. I thought the prose was a little clunky but I loved the idea that even with special powers young wizards faced the same challenges as we muggles.

Just remembered that I love The Golden Compass trilogy and never see a polar bear without thinking of icebears forging sky iron.

• Upvote 1

I love Harry Potter! I "read" at least a few of the books each semester, since I listen to the audiobooks while cramming. I really believe that no age is too young, and Ms. lawlife says that I am welcome to read/play the books to our future children. In utero!

I also identify really strongly with Hermione, since I was an intelligent outcast, and this was especially bad during middle school when some of the books came out. Hermione showed me it was more important to be smart than popular.

I like the Hunger Games trilogy too, and I'm honestly, at 25, still a fan of YA. I always look round when I go to the YA section in the bookstore, since I feel bad about reading books for teenagers. My current reads that I like are the Suzanne Young series- The Program, the Treatment, and the Closer. The premise is that there's a giant increase in teen suicide, and that leads to the government taking draconian measures, mainly huge amounts of drugs and a method of erasing all of one's memories that are associated with anything negative. The protagonist has to get the treatment after her boyfriend kills himself. But, the memories that are to be "eliminated" are all memories of him. And she doesn't want to forget. So she and some others start fighting this system.

The Lauren Oliver series- Delirium, Pandemonium, and Requiem is good to. The premise is that love is treated like an illness and it is cured by a brain operation at 18. The protagonist falls in love and doesn't want the cure.

Loved all the HP, and never understood the condemnation of them - the whole series is a battle between good and evil. They also show that doing the right thing can sometimes be painful and costly, and lose us friends and friendships. All in all, I'd say pretty good life lessons.

The other series I loved was Philip Pullman's Dark Materials trilogy. I have read it several times, and each time there seems to be new layer I hadn't seen before. Highly recommended.

Talk about why you love it or why you hate it.

What´s the best part, what´s the worst part and what a child (or a teen, or a adult!) could gain from it.

And what else books are dear to you?

What are you reading to your children and at what age? What do you let them read?

Would you recommend Harry Potter for a under-10yrs-old?

Loved, loved, LOVED the entire Harry Potter series. I cried when Dobby died, fercryinoutloud! The ugly cry, too! It's just a dang good story, if nothing else. But the way Rowling writes the characters, they are "real" and it is interesting to see what they're going to do next.

For the person who said that it's not adult fiction and so she didn't want to read it, I will paraphrase what Stephen King said about J.K. Rowling in his book, "On Writing". (which I highly recommend, btw)

He highly praised Rowling and said he was anxiously awaiting the next installment, same as every other fan. He said she had a way of drawing characters without too much detail, which can bog down a story, but that had enough information to illustrate the action.

Best part of HP? It's hard for me to say. I just loved the entire story. Some of my favorites include Harry's getting his first letter from Hogwarts... over and over and over. Then the development of the characters. I especially loved Neville's progression. Some of the stuff like SPEW got a little tedious, but it was necessary to develop the character of Hermione.

It's getting late and I think I'll have to return to this tomorrow.

I have loved The Secret Garden, everything Dr. Seuss, and many other childhood favorites.

• Upvote 1

GUYS GUYS GUYS THERE ARE HARRY POTTER LIP TINTS BE STILL MY HEART AND THEY'RE ACTUALLY WEARABLE

GUYS GUYS GUYS THERE ARE HARRY POTTER LIP TINTS BE STILL MY HEART AND THEY'RE ACTUALLY WEARABLE

WAT.

i must know where they are!

WAT.

i must know where they are!

Here's the article from Buzzfeed!

buzzfeed.com/augustafalletta/there-is-now-a-harry-potter-line-of-lipsticks-and-its-magica?bffbstyle&utm_term=4ldqphh#.koEdoObB7

A friend shared it with me. The Lasplash website isn't loading but there are a few for the same price on Amazon!

I usually go more predictable, so I am trying to hold myself off Lovegood and the hues like that! There are some very bright greens and blues, though. Ravenclaw is said to be basically brown when it arrives though others have said it's a pure red :think:

Here's the article from Buzzfeed!

buzzfeed.com/augustafalletta/there-is-now-a-harry-potter-line-of-lipsticks-and-its-magica?bffbstyle&utm_term=4ldqphh#.koEdoObB7

A friend shared it with me. The Lasplash website isn't loading but there are a few for the same price on Amazon!

I usually go more predictable, so I am trying to hold myself off Lovegood and the hues like that! There are some very bright greens and blues, though. Ravenclaw is said to be basically brown when it arrives though others have said it's a pure red :think:

i will probably be wanting them all...and they look like they dry matte, so that's awesome! i prefer matte lip colours over glossy.

Ravenclaw here too. Do we need a password?

On the book front for pre-teens my girl loves Emily Rodda. For creepy/funny she tore through the Scream Street series and The Floods series.

Count me in the super secret club.

My Growellette loves Harry Potter. She's been going through a few things and was depressed when I came home for lunch yesterday. I love her, so since I had to go to a store to get some school supplies I was missing I got her a Ghiradelli bar. I presented it to her as thus:

You know when you're recovering from a Dementor and you feel really bad? What makes someone feel better?

(Oh, yes, it worked. And I'm that big of a dork.)

I'd love to see if most of the Ravenclaw posters have similar reactions to threads/posts, etc. It would be so interesting to do a Mini-FJ Harry Potter House/Myers-Briggs type test and see what we got :D

For example, I just agreed with my fellow Ravenclaw, Growelly, on another thread. How many more Ravenclaws agree with us? Is it Ravenclaw exclusive? Who knows. FJ Science Fair, 2015? :shifty-kitty:

I'd love to see if most of the Ravenclaw posters have similar reactions to threads/posts, etc. It would be so interesting to do a Mini-FJ Harry Potter House/Myers-Briggs type test and see what we got :D

For example, I just agreed with my fellow Ravenclaw, Growelly, on another thread. How many more Ravenclaws agree with us? Is it Ravenclaw exclusive? Who knows. FJ Science Fair, 2015? :shifty-kitty:

Hmmm... I do know that Hermione has been typed as a typical ISTJ like me... Though I always felt she was more of a Ravenclaw type than a Gryffindore.

Hold on. I know there's a list somewhere out there. Let me do a bit of googling.

Hmmm... I do know that Hermione has been typed as a typical ISTJ like me... Though I always felt she was more of a Ravenclaw type than a Gryffindore.

Hold on. I know there's a list somewhere out there. Let me do a bit of googling.

I am also an ISTJ.

Hold up.

DO I HAVE TWO TWINS ON THIS WEBSITE?!

Does this make me...a triplet!?

I see you there, VR and Growelly... :shifty-kitty:

I am also an ISTJ.

Hold up.

DO I HAVE TWO TWINS ON THIS WEBSITE?!

Does this make me...a triplet!?

I see you there, VR and Growelly... :shifty-kitty:

:nenner:

Ok, there's a whole thread here, and there's a whole forum of people as obsessed with typology as we are with fundies:

typologycentral.com/forums/popular-culture-and-type/11840-harry-potter-mbti.html?s=003ca53a7e1b4ef96972b4e35ea21154

There's also a chart floating about that suggests we're like Snape.

Which, I guess on any given day, is entirely possible. :evil-eye:

ww2.kqed.org/pop/2013/11/06/which-star-wars-and-harry-potter-characters-fit-your-myers-briggs-personality/

There's suggestion that I'm Snape (INTJ). I prefer the comparison to Dr. Temperence Brennan from "Bones"- she's an INTJ too, but nice! Dr. Brennan and I deal with babies in the same way too. I literally tried "Dancing phalanges! Dancing phalanges!" on the last baby I saw.

JK ROWLING TWEETED THAT TODAY IS SIRIUS JAMES POTTER'S FIRST DAY AT HOGWARTS! I AM OVERLY EXCITED FOR HIM AND SICK WITH JEALOUSY!!!

I don't wanna hear any of that "fictional" crap from anyone :p

:Harry:

:hermoine: <-- me

• Upvote 1

JK ROWLING TWEETED THAT TODAY IS SIRIUS JAMES POTTER'S FIRST DAY AT HOGWARTS! I AM OVERLY EXCITED FOR HIM AND SICK WITH JEALOUSY!!!

I don't wanna hear any of that "fictional" crap from anyone :p

:Harry:

:hermoine: <-- me

She also tweeted that she just heard James Sirius (yeah it's that way round) got sorted into Gryffindor. Head Boy Teddy Lupin (Hufflepuff) is apparently disappointed.

She also tweeted that she just heard James Sirius (yeah it's that way round) got sorted into Gryffindor. Head Boy Teddy Lupin (Hufflepuff) is apparently disappointed.

I'm so glad someone on FJ is talking about this!!!! It totally made my day!!!!!

I'm so glad someone on FJ is talking about this!!!! It totally made my day!!!!!

I'm SO EXCITED about this! I realized what day it was when I was in the middle of the State Fair today, and I literally STOPPED in the middle of a crowd when I knew!

Ugh, I don't care about Harry's stupidly named children. Why can't she give us more Harry stories? Or Sirus, James, Peter, and Lupin stories? Or a story about Lupin and Tonks hooking up? Hell, give me a story about Draco. Anything but a reminder of that last chapter.

Oh, I'm a Hufflepuff.

I'm on Pottermore as RainChestnut983. I don't go on very frequently.

I'm a Hufflepuff, too. I'm Nettledawn 14798 on Pottermore.

My daughter is reading HP and the Sorcerer's (or Philosopher's) Stone to her 6 year old at bedtime. They are both loving it.

My youngest daughter was excited to tell me that the Quidditch World Cup is going to be in the Columbia, SC, area next spring. (She sorted into Slytherin on Pottermore, btw.) I'm going to go and take my granddaughter.

Our late Labrador shared a birthday with Harry.