IGNORED

Teri says "Go make your bed"

Dark Matters

"It was a rough descent. Tiredness, pain, exhaustion, and slippery slopes made it difficult. You ended up sort of sliding down different sections."

I think she meant tiredness...slippery slopes...AND HIKING IN A LONG SKIRT made it difficult.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All that's missing are the cilices and the cat o'nine tails.

I've lost interest in hiking but I'd at least be moved to write a poem if I ever climbed a fourteener. But they're in Maxhell, they can't even come up with festive poses on the summit. Every. Person. In. The. Same. Pose. And. Exact. Position.

I need puppies dancing to salsa music, stat! pronto! NOW!!!!!

Oh, you laugh. But...

And the most creative I could get was adult diapers...

Browning? :? Is that a reference to poop or is it the brand name? I ... do not camp. But when I did, I thought bushes did the job well enough. Who needs an entirely separate tent to take a dump?

Maybe the whole family is goin' a courting. Or a wedding out of town is in the works. OR maybe they can't afford it this year?

Perhaps the next book will be "Frugal Days with the Moodys"

Edited to add. Perhaps Steve decided that Colorado was no longer wholesome since they passed the law on pot.

Isn't pot legal in Washington and Alaska as well? They're going to run out of places to go climbing. Of course Utah is out of the question because Mormons.

I particularly enjoyed Sarah's comparison of hiking to our journey with Christ. Then again, I misread the format at first, and thought she was saying that we need protein and electrolyte chews for God. They are the Maxwells :lol:

I particularly enjoyed Sarah's comparison of hiking to our journey with Christ. Then again, I misread the format at first, and thought she was saying that we need protein and electrolyte chews for God. They are the Maxwells :lol:

Too bad they didn't say that, because "Electrolyte Chews for God" would make an awesome post count title...

I climbed several 14-ers in my younger, pre-injury days. The fact that Teri and Steve and still do them IS impressive (that hurt to say!).

Timberline is right around 11000 feet, so after that you don't even have a tree to hide behind (and no shrubs either). There are port a potties at the bottom, generally, but I used to plan my food and beverages in the days leading up to a hike because I did not want any surprises.

The long skirts, otherwise the worst hiking clothes in the world, might come in handy during the squatting that would be required (assuming careful aim and no wind), but, honestly, I never climbed without a rain suit in my backpack and I ended up wearing it as often as not. I've never seen a rain suit that can be worn over a skirt. Frequently you have to walk across streams which, if it rains, can quickly swell. Can you imagine doing it in a wet, cold, heavy skirt? If tripping on it doesn't kill you, hypothermia from being wrapped in yards of wet fabric might. Since they're only going to encounter their own family and perhaps a few hikers who couldn't care less about anyone's modesty, why not just, for once in their lives, do the un-Biblical but safe thing and wear pants???!?

I live at 6000 feet and, while I eventually learned to carefully pace myself on a climb, I do have to admit the Maxwells, coming from a much lower elevation, must be really fit to do it.

Browning? :? Is that a reference to poop or is it the brand name? I ... do not camp. But when I did, I thought bushes did the job well enough. Who needs an entirely separate tent to take a dump?

When my autistic brother was a kid he would refer to the possibility of a shart as "browning your pants". It stuck and some people we know kept it up.

Archived