IGNORED

Teri says "Go make your bed"

Dark Matters

UnFuck Your Habitat have making your bed daily as part of their system. As others have said, it is actually recommended as part of therapy for people with depression. I don't bother myself but there are good reasons for it being part of a daily chore list.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've made my bed every morning for as long as I can remember. But I am pretty damn sure the reasons and meanings are nothing like Teri's. I just...do. It's what I was taught growing up and it's what I've always done. I don't even think about it and in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter in the slightest.

That screen in front of the window is hideous though. Whatever it is, tv, monitor, whatever - it's stacked on top of a box on top of something covered with a blanket? Whatever. There is no doubt something completely godly (and steve-ly) about what it is and its placement.

I despise carpet, so tile flooring throughout suits me well. I think tile laid on the diagonal is more pleasing to the eye.

I'm still laughing at the teal contrast wall. I mean, I get the tiles. Quilted comforter—not to my taste, but fine, whatever, they're grandparents. And who knows about that monitor thing. But the teal wall...did they run out of Patrick Nagel prints before you could finish the look, Teri?

Maybe the monitor is for a CCTV system he has installed throughout the compound so he can spy on them all 24/7...

In other news, Stevie's Seriously rant came the announcement that he is now shaved.

They apparently all grew a beards for their annual 'what some would call a vacation' However "Lately, I’d been feeling the nudging of the Holy Spirit to shave it." :lol:

The reasons why Stevie has done this:

"

• Teri loves kissing my smooth face (much preferred over the prickly beard).

• Anna and Mary love that they can now see my facial expressions whereas they couldn’t with the beard.

• Shaving is definitely easier than trimming (even though it probably takes a bit longer when totaled over the week’s time) :lol:

• I realized that men who are trusted are typically beardless—military personnel, most corporate leaders, and police officers. (This one may be difficult to swallow for some, but it is what it is. :lol: )

"

And yes he did list Teri loves kissing him three bloody times in the list.

First the sweetfewllowship room picture, now this list.... are you feeling horny Stevie? :wink-penguin: :wink-penguin:

Maybe the monitor is for a CCTV system he has installed throughout the compound so he can spy on them all 24/7...

In other news, Stevie's Seriously rant came the announcement that he is now shaved.

They apparently all grew a beards for their annual 'what some would call a vacation' However "Lately, I’d been feeling the nudging of the Holy Spirit to shave it." :lol:

"

• Anna and Mary love that they can now see my facial expressions whereas they couldn’t with the beard.

• Shaving is definitely easier than trimming (even though it probably takes a bit longer when totaled over the week’s time) :lol:

• I realized that men who are trusted are typically beardless—military personnel, most corporate leaders, and police officers. (This one may be difficult to swallow for some, but it is what it is. :lol: )

"

First the sweetfewllowship room picture, now this list.... are you feeling horny Stevie? :wink-penguin: :wink-penguin:

Oh the mental images this conjures up... HORK HORK HORK HORK :ew: :ew: :ew:

ETA: He mentions it FOUR times. Seriously, Steve, WE GET IT. YOU'RE MARRIED AND ALLOWED TO KISS. WHOOPTY FUCKING DOO.

So, since Steve shaved it, does that now mean all the men will shave it? They've had beards for a while now, so I don't buy it was just for a vacation.

I think that post means they're going to be actively marketing chorepacks again.

As far as the monitor, my first thought was that use it to watch efficiency videos and the like.

"

"

:brain-bleach: :brain-bleach: :brain-bleach:

Anna and Mary love that they can now see my facial expressions whereas they couldn’t with the beard.

Steve has facial expressions? I thought there was just neutral and smiling for the camera?

I realized that men who are trusted are typically beardless—military personnel, most corporate leaders, and police officers. (This one may be difficult to swallow for some, but it is what it is. [emoji38] )

Sorry, Steve. I will trust most bearded men over you any day of the week. Including bearded military personnel, corporate leaders, and police officers because they exist.

Teri loves kissing my smooth face (much preferred over the prickly beard).

Teri didn't request the shaving, did she? I mean, wouldn't that be un-reverencing? Or are we about to be treated to a new post by her on another "wifely victory?"

One more thing, Steve. Did the Holy Spirit give you these list of reasons including telling you four times to do it for your wife? It's just that all but one of the guys at my work (yes, Steve, I know, I know) have all shaved and most of them only had one reason for shaving. I'm just wondering if their lack of extra reasons is from a lack of the Holy Spirit in their lives...

Here is the original, oft-quoted graduation speech given by an admiral who had been a Navy Seal for most of his career:

http://news.utexas.edu/2014/05/16/admir ... ent-speech

Never mind that it is the only thing from that speech that applies to the Maxwells. Change, venturing out on your own, endurance in the face of hardship...not so much.

I remember the speech because several friends sent it to me last year since they knew I am extremely OCD about MAKING the bed every morning. If my husband gets up later, he makes the bed, but I MAKE the bed. The difference is that, when I MAKE the bed, it is worthy of a magazine photo shoot. Depending on the season, either a comforter or heavily woven coverlet is folded up at the end. We have four bed pillows, but nine decorative pillows. Everything hangs evenly on all four sides. There is no bed skirt; instead I sewed a boxspring cover that allows the area under the high bed to show, neat and tidy.

It's a joke with people, but I swear it saves me mentally every day to leave the room with it looking perfect, and to return to it looking the same at the end of a long day.

I have lupus and after living a relatively pain free life since I was diagnosed over 10 years ago, it has found me with a vengeance. My hands, wrists and elbows are so arthritic that there are days I can't hook my bra, can't apply deodorant, can't tie sneakers. On those days, the bed still gets MADE, even when I can barely pull up the sheets, and have to lift one pillow at a time, held in one hand but supported by the other, to the bed.

Even when there are so many things I can no longer do, I can do that. And it keeps me sane.

God help me, I agree with a Maxwell on this point.

Can I just say, A) I love what I've bolded above. Honey Bunny, you're a girl after my own heart. B) I too am horrified that I am in agreement with Terified about this. And C) this reminds me of a passage from Kathleen Norris' fine book, "Acedia:" (if you haven't read it, you're in for a treat)

“[T]rue freedom develops out of discipline and a healthy respect for necessity. I was a bratty kid who didn’t want to make her bed. ‘Why bother?’ I would ask my mother in a witheringly superior tone. ‘I’ll just have to unmake it again at night.’ To me, the act was stupid repetition; to my mother, it was a meaningful expression of hospitality to oneself, and a humble acknowledgment of our creaturely need to make and remake our daily environments. ‘You will feel better,’ she said, ‘if you come home to an orderly room.’ â€

Is Steve sure that Teri wasn't just using the beard as an excuse not to kiss him? :twisted:

Doesn't Teri have back issues? I suspect she uses the computer standing up, hence the monitor placed up on some kind of sheet-covered box. Our desks at work are now being designed to move up or down since so many people are opting to stand while they work to help with back pain.

I never make my bed in the morning, my husband's still in it. And of course I'm not going to drive home from work and make it after he leaves for work.

I think my main problem is I have a job. I should probably arise before the sun is up, cook breakfast for the household, and make the bed while my husband is finishing his coffee. Yeah, right.

Doesn't Teri have back issues? I suspect she uses the computer standing up, hence the monitor placed up on some kind of sheet-covered box. Our desks at work are now being designed to move up or down since so many people are opting to stand while they work to help with back pain.

I agree -- and I think I've seen instances where people cover their keyboard with a towel when it's not in use -- I suppose mostly for dust, which is probably not a bad idea, but also as some sort of visual block, like people who drape a cloth over their TV so they don't have to look at it when it's off. So that's what I suspect the white towelish thing is in the Maxwell photo.

Also gotta say that I don't mind either of the wall colors -- I tend to like deep colors on walls (when I see it in other homes -- in my house the drywall walls are painted a Maxwellish tan/gray which I happen to like as it's neutral so doesn't clash with anything, but non-white enough to be interesting. But then again, I'm in the process of covering most of my walls with pine planking, right over the drywall. So there will only be a bit of the painted walls even visible once the project is done).

That said (that I like their deep wall color), I don't really like anything else about their decor -- way too visually busy for my taste.

And on another note, I make my bed every morning simply because I'm a recovering slob and that's a good practice to keep from backsliding -- and also because during this construction phase, my bed is in the middle of the living room, so anyone who comes visiting sees it.

Who cares about the decorating. Besides, maybe the slaves daughters made the quilt--lots of people are sentimental about that, so I'll give her a pass. But ceramic tile in a bedroom that's not in a tropical climate? brrrrrrrr

Leave it to Teri to make something stupid and normal into a big deal that has to be made into a habit and reinforced with the old plumbing supply line when not done!

I don't think the girls made the quilt. Pretty sure it's the one I wanted from the Penney's catalog in the mid 90s. Way to make a quilt stay perfect looking for 20 years Steve & Terie. Must not ever anything happen on top of that.

It takes Teri "less then 2 minutes" to make her bed every day.

And she homeschooled 8 children. It's no wonder none of them can write.

I can't recall if they installed sub-floor radiant heat in that house or not. It's nice, even heat; it requires no maintenance; it's relatively efficient; and it seems like the sort of thing they would have installed. If they did, cold tile floors in winter wouldn't be an issue.

And frankly, if I could do it in this house, I'd have tile floors. They never wear out, don't get stained, and they can actually be kept clean. Back when I did renovation work I torn out countless square yards of carpet at various jobsites--including carpet that looked practically new--and you couldn't pay me to have that stuff in my house, it's such a dirt-trap. :shock: It's even worse if you have pets.

But I would definitely shop around at other places besides Home Depot for that floor tile, because I just cannot abide beige.

ETA: Oh, and count me among the ranks of those who think bed-making is a pointless, unenjoyable waste of time. I've had partners who insisted upon doing it (or at least straightening the duvet, since I use minimal bedding), and I was perfectly okay with that as long as they never tried to get me to. Because honestly, I cannot be bothered.

That bedroom is killing me with the giggles. I think my parents bought the exact same set from Roomstore- the broken pediment headboard and silly brass handles with the super-dark finish.

The eye hardly knows where to land! The accent wall. The biscuit quilt. The GIGANTIC tile. The valances. The ultra-boring crown molding. The godawful bed skirt. The quilt just about has to be actually handmade, the bed skirt fabric does match some of the biscuit quilt.

The standing desk thing is very trendy right now, but it might just be part of Steve's vendetta on fun.

I remember wanting a puffy bedspread like that. I was in junior high at the time, though.

Archived