IGNORED

Nathan and Ashley Salyer - Courtship

jinseng

On the most recent episode of Bringing up Bates, we met Ashley Sayler from NYC, who appeared to be visiting the bates fam (or more specifically, nathan) along with her sister (Anastasia). There was a bit of banter about their flirting, as though the couple may be in a 'pre-courtship' phase. She seems like a bit of a fire-cracker with a lot of spunk, but super christian none the less.

I saw the Bates family follow her on instagram, which is significant being that they only follow 19 people total! Her instagram is public, and she has been posting pictures of her medical missions trip to the Philippines... something that Nathan seems to do annually. Maybe they were in the same missions group?

It will be interesting to see how this progresses!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After I saw those 2 sisters, I thought screw the Bates, let's go to the Bronx and see how this Fundie family of 9 + parents lives.

I'm also curious about this potential courtship. She seems to be lite fundie and maybe a little to "ethnic" for them. Anyone has thoughts about this?

• 2 weeks later...

I am glad that you made a thread on this subject. When I watched the episode, I thought the exact same thing. Not only was Nathan openly flirting, but his eyes were locked on her in every scene together. I have been watching the Bates forum and waiting for someone else to confirm that they made the same observations.

Also on some of the video clips on Uptv's website they asked the family who was next in line for marriage and everyone implied it was Nathan. And Lawson made a joke that there were new relationships on the horizon and looked at Nathan. Something is definitely going on there.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm also curious about this potential courtship. She seems to be lite fundie and maybe a little to "ethnic" for them. Anyone has thoughts about this?

She might be a Latina. She was speaking a bit of Spanish when she was riding a horse during that visiting episode. And with no American accent, I'd say. She definetly grew up around Spanish native speakers. Being exposed to a different culture would be great for Nathan... I just can't picture them together though. She seems way too worldly for him IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Free Jinger friends! I've been a lurker for years, and I'm so excited to be posting.

I'm coming out of the shadows to tell you all that a quick Internet stalk of the Salyers revealed that Ashley's parents are named Tim and Belkis. Belkis is a fairly common name in the Dominican Republic, and the years-old pic I saw of her and Tim supports my hunch that she is probably of Dominican heritage.

I too noticed the sparks (at least on Nathan's side) between Ashley and Nathan but I live in NYC (probably just a couple of miles from the Salyers) and I worry that the culture shift between Da Bronx and rural Tennessee might scare Ashley away. Time will tell, I guess.

Thank you all for the many years of sweet fellowship!

I believe Nathan did mention that he met her on a medical missions trip.

Also, anyone notice that since he became smitten with a missionary he wanted to take up flying "to make missions easier?"

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah, I don't think that Ashley will have a problem transition to TN. They probably beyond courtship and on track for engagement. For, her introduction is similar to Erin's with Chad. We did see not the Bates exploit their relationship but only took key points of the relationship like she there is a interest among our children type rhetoric, no real conformation like yes he is the one; I believe their was a  request courtship documented then engagement then wedding.

• 2 months later...
On 2/21/2016 at 11:00 AM, Bgirl said:

Did anyone notice the Bates family is not following Ashley anymore on Instsgram? A broken courtship maybe?

Or, it could be that they will be switching to a Nathan and Ashley instagram.

• 2 weeks later...
On February 21, 2016 at 8:00 AM, Bgirl said:

Did anyone notice the Bates family is not following Ashley anymore on Instsgram? A broken courtship maybe?

Interesting update. Either it's a broken courtship of they are responding to someone on instagram who confronted ashley several weeks ago asking why the whole bates family is following her instagram, including Callie, so are they courting? 

Perhaps they want to keep the secret? I think it's more likely a broken courtship though. 

Yeah. I was thinking a broken courtship. Another one in the Bates family. It was smart of them to keep it a secret. I thought she seemed too progressive for them.

8 hours ago, Bgirl said:

Yeah. I was thinking a broken courtship. Another one in the Bates family. It was smart of them to keep it a secret. I thought she seemed too progressive for them.

They are following her now. Something has changed.

Yeah. I just noticed that too. Odd. Maybe people were asking her too many questions. I wonder why they are being so secretive about this.

On March 16, 2016 at 11:32 AM, Bgirl said:

Yeah. I just noticed that too. Odd. Maybe people were asking her too many questions. I wonder why they are being so secretive about this.

If it's a courtship, I'm guessing they just want to see whether it "sticks" before announcing things. It seems like everyone felt pretty burned by Zach's first attempt; it was filmed for 19KAC, but then it fizzled, and Kelly has written at least one blog post about how their approach didn't quite work. Hopefully they're just trying to give their kids a bit of privacy before going public.

They were pretty public about Michaela from the beginning, but I think she had been with Brandon for a while even before they were officially engaged. It was very much played as Brandon was waiting to graduate and get financially settled before proposing, not that either of them were still in the "evaluation" phase.

8 minutes ago, BunnyBee said:

why hasn't Nathan hopped on social media now that we know he is officially courting?

maybe he is not into that? not everyone is into social media.

Ashley do have an account in instagram. I hope that when they marry she can keep it, the husband and wife shared accounts are a bit ridiculous...

I'm sure they've had to keep it quiet for filming purposes; the family was in NYC (parents, Lawson and Nate) right before Christmas. I think that's when it all went down. Nate will probably be on SM before long; Ashley hasn't uttered a peep about her relationship online.  (not sure how this spoiler tag popped up, or how to get rid of it. Please  :ignore: )

Spoiler

On the very limited pics we've seen of her, my first impression of Ashey is that she might be quite lively and feisty. I don't know what I'm basing that on really - just her fashion and general appearance. But bring it on, I say!!!!

:thumbsup:

• SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic

Archived