IGNORED

The Infamous Maxwell Pizza Incident

VodouDoll

Right? It seems so narcissistic to think that God figures out the perfect timing for your pizza delivery with all of the other terrible things going on in the world

It is one of the ways fundies reassure themselves that everything is fine. Even when it's not.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My husband has a one track mind, and doesn't think to let others know things. I have yelled, screamed, pleaded and begged him to let someone know where he is. We burn wood for heat, and live in a wooded area. The power company clears out the areas under and around power lines to try and stop power outages. It's not unusual to see logs and trees sitting on the side of the road waiting for the county truck to come pick them up.

My husband has a horrible habit of getting home from work, going in the garage to get chainsaws and tools, hooking up the trailer and heading back to pick up the FREE WOOD before someone else can, while still in his work clothes (another pet peeve.) There have been too many stories on the news about people cutting wood and getting injured and in some cases dying, and no one knows where they are.

My in-laws were visiting once and my father-in-law was griping about my mother-in-law always wanting to know where he was going. So of course, my husband has to join in the complaining. I looked at them and said "he can go wherever he wants, I just want to know where to find the body. If there's no body, you have to wait 7 years for them to be declared dead. I don't want to wait 7 years to get the life insurance and 401 K." You should have seen the looks on their faces!

You guys, for years we have talked about the legendary story of Teri not reminding Steve to order pizza. Years.

Of course he didn't forget! He wasn't PAYING for the pizza! I am also willing to bet money that that is the only way Teri's parents could even get the foot in the door - pay for dinner.

I'm craving pizza now. Sadly nobody delivers to my house. I guess pizza isn't in God's plan for my life.

Wasted three minutes of my life reading this bullshit. Three minutes I will never get back. The fucking Maxwells never fail to amaze me.

I'm craving pizza now. Sadly nobody delivers to my house. I guess pizza isn't in God's plan for my life.

God is just looking out for you - making sure you don't make an idol of pizza. :lol:

Seriously, though, I'm now craving pizza, too.

Of course he didn't forget! He wasn't PAYING for the pizza! I am also willing to bet money that that is the only way Teri's parents could even get the foot in the door - pay for dinner.

Teri's parents have a history of treating the grandkids. In the past they treated the kids to s'mores when they built the new house, and they paid for a week at the Colorado cabin one year.

They probably figured the kids wouldn't get anything extra if they didn't treat them now and again

*with apologies to the Four Seasons*

Teri, Teri baby

Teri, Teri baby

Tee-eee-eeri ba-ay-by (Teri baby)

Teeeri won't you tell him tonight?

Yoo-ooo-ouuu better tell your husband (tell him Teri)

teeeeell him to bring the pizza tonight (bring the pizza tonight)

Why don't you tell him, to call the pizza shop?

Tell him, get some breadsticks and sauce?

Tell him, get you a case of Pepsi?

Girl, before you blow your top?

Tee-eee-eeri ba-ay-by (Teri baby)

Teeeri won't you tell him tonight?

FFS. How can anyone live like this?

I think we have all had 'brain farts'.

Once I got up in the morning to go to work and started driving to a job I had not worked at for 2.5 years. Once my dad picked me up for a baseball game, on the way home we were talking and he drove right past my apartment.

What would a Terri if Steve were driving in the wrong direction? How long are you gonna let that go on? I thought a husband and wife were a team. Way to let the team down.

I think Terri may have mentioned this at one point - I think this actually happened once on one of their trips and she kept her mouth shut. But I don't remember the specifics - does anybody else?

I think Terri may have mentioned this at one point - I think this actually happened once on one of their trips and she kept her mouth shut. But I don't remember the specifics - does anybody else?

I vaguely recall this and I think it had to do with Steve giving directions to someone else. In any event, it was all about how she considered it sinful to correct him. Just fab, Teri. What if his incorrect directions had caused the person to get lost? What if it made them late for an important appointment? Miss a plane? Have an accident? No matter, at least your headship's ego would be fed.

The pizza post was one of the first things I read when I initially discovered the Maxwells and it really stuck with me. Does god really want women to turn themselves in non-persons? REALLY? No emotions (other than happy happy happy, of course), no opinions, no self-determination, no nothing. There isn't one thing about the Maxwell's brand of Christianity that would make me want to embrace it.

Terri can't tell Steve if he is driving in the wrong direction because then it shows that she has knowledge that he does not. She cannot be perceived as smarter or more aware than her husband. Better they drive to Canada instead of Florida and both be seen as directionlly challenged, than Terri show up her darling husband.

Yeah, how DARE Terri be right about anything when Steve's full of shit!

There isn't one thing about the Maxwell's brand of Christianity that would make me want to embrace it.

Indeed, and from the dwindling conference engagements, it seems that a lot of other people don't want to embrace it, either.

I should also add that my aforementioned craving for pizza has now been satisfied! :pizza:

Terri can't tell Steve if he is driving in the wrong direction because then it shows that she has knowledge that he does not. She cannot be perceived as smarter or more aware than her husband. Better they drive to Canada instead of Florida and both be seen as directionlly challenged, than Terri show up her darling husband.

So, Steve and Terri are traveling late one night and he's falling asleep at the wheel. Terri asks if he'd like to stop for the night, but Steve says he's fine and wants to keep driving. Does Terri insist they stop for the night, or does she submit to his authority and pray that God will keep him awake? :angry-banghead:

So, Steve and Terri are traveling late one night and he's falling asleep at the wheel. Terri asks if he'd like to stop for the night, but Steve says he's fine and wants to keep driving. Does Terri insist they stop for the night, or does she submit to his authority and pray that God will keep him awake? :angry-banghead:

Didn't work for the Fosters, did it? Of course, God has a plan... Yeah, and so did the Cylons. We never found out what that plan was either.

I'm currently searching for a post that has the driving story since I kinda remember hearing about it too. I haven't found it yet, but when searching "reverencing" I did find another post (articles.titus2.com/she-prayed-part-1/) that had yet another annedote from Teri's life with Stevehovah:

Several years ago part of our roof began to leak. As the head of the household, Steve was very concerned about the leak’s potential damage to the house. He immediately said we needed a new roof. The problem was that we did not have the cash for a new roof and were committed to no more borrowing.

However, Steve decided that we would borrow the necessary money for a new roof. I spoke my heart passionately concerning our agreement not to be in debt and asked if there wasn’t some interim solution while we saved money as quickly as we could for the roof. He was determined to have the new roof and save the house.

I knew after that conversation that I had pushed as hard as I could push. I had met with a level of resistance on Steve’s part that was very unusual. I was so distraught I cried, when I was alone, over the possibility of borrowing for a roof. I also began to pray. It was the only avenue I felt I had left.

I prayed and waited as Steve had two roofers come out to give estimates. I kept praying. Then Steve started talking about some possibilities for redoing just the flashing area on the valley of the roof to see if that would keep the rain out until we could afford a new roof. That’s what he ended up doing! The “stopgap†project worked. We saved money judiciously for most of a year, and we finally had a new roof—debt free!

So, when you disagree with your headship you just pray to his headship to get your way? Doesn't seem very reverencing... It's kinda like a kid that doesn't get the response he wants from one parent so then he goes to the other. At the same time, there ARE loopholes to this reverencing thing. :dance:

I've been craving pizza for weeks. It's so not in my budget; thus, God does not intend me to have pizza this month.

I think I might have found the incident we're all thinking of??

Another area that has been difficult for me is to learn not to correct my husband in front of others–even sweetly. What does it matter if we did this thing on Monday or Wednesday night, as I would be prone to point out if he said the wrong one? I have discovered that, even if it does matter, it is better to be quiet and maintain our testimony than to correct my husband in public. There is seldom anything that important. Truly, if misinformation was given, I believe it would be better for my husband to call the person later and correct it than for me to have spoken up publicly.

Despite knowing I do not want to do this, as recently as Saturday morning this happened. Steve was driving a group of moms and girls from our church to a baby shower because of bad road conditions. I stepped into his conversation to clarify something I thought the ladies might misunderstand. Almost as quickly as the words were out of my mouth they seemed to shout back at me in accusation. I am glad, because I do want to learn these lessons. In my pride, I do not like to continually fail in something that is pretty cut and dried–don’t correct your husband in public, including in front of the children!

These people have one life and they choose, or are raised to think they have to, live this way. It's so sad.

Also, I would be the worst Maxwell wife ever.

This entire situation is so passive-aggressive.

My read is this:

1. Teri is a controlling nag.

2. Steve comes up with this Jesus scenario to get Teri to quit nagging.

3. Teri goes under ground under the auspices of being a good Jesus wife and flips the tables on Steve taking the passive-aggressive route: "I am responsible for nothing because I am submissive."

This is a marriage that should have ended instead of having a bunch of reversals. :nenner:

As long as we are going down memory lane. Lest we forget the hilarious example of how not only has Steve numbed Teri's spirit but her taste buds as well.....

THE CHEESE PAPER INCIDENT!!

There are some hazards to eating in Uriah. Today, after Mom had made lunch for everyone, she contentedly munched on her sandwich. Part way through, an exclamation was heard. Much to her amusement, she discovered that she had eaten half of the cheese paper. Cheese paper (a term I just created!) is the paper that separates each piece of cheese. She had thought her sandwich was a little chewier than usual, and it was only after she had eaten half, did she discover she was eating the cheese paper. Sorry, Mom!

As long as we are going down memory lane. Lest we forget the hilarious example of how not only has Steve numbed Teri's spirit but her taste buds as well.....

THE CHEESE PAPER INCIDENT!!

How in the hell can you eat half a sandwich with the cheese paper in it? Wouldn't you notice after you tried to take the first bite?

How in the hell can you eat half a sandwich with the cheese paper in it? Wouldn't you notice after you tried to take the first bite?

She had to think about if revealing her mistake was going to show a lack of reverence toward Steve. I mean, wouldn't that imply that he married a wife that can't perform the simple, basic task of preparing a meal without mistakes? He could have his fundie card revoked for that.

Beats me, but she did it:

3DfNWTX.jpg

I attempted this once. Yes, you should know after the first bite.

Archived