IGNORED

The Infamous Maxwell Pizza Incident

VodouDoll

This is the part that seems the most insane to me. How the hell can she really believe such crappy bullshit? :pull-hair: :angry-banghead:

What if Steve goes cuckoo (maybe some dementia as he gets older) and starts to do absurd things?

All this is so unhealthy that I struggle to find the words, I don't even know where to start

Very good question. I wonder how these fundies handle it if the patriarch gets an illness like dementia, and isn't able to rule his home anymore, but needs help with things like findig his own house after he went for a walk in the neighborhood? Especially since people with such illnesses can suddenly get very aggressive and even violent at times.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
THIS right here is the kind of agony I put myself through when I was trying to be a perfect submissive evangelical wife. It was psychologically awful. And you know what? My husband doesn't care about this stupid garbage. He wants my help in friendly reminders! He thanks me for reminding him of things!

I have a husband who needs reminders, too. In fact, I personally would rather go the Maxwell way and just not remind him about anything. But then stuff wouldn't get done, husband would be irritable because I didn't remind him and so he forgot, and I'd be stewing in my own irritation that he forgot to do stuff. My house wouldn't be nearly as peaceful as if I'd just said, "Hey, did you remember to ... ?"

Very good question. I wonder how these fundies handle it if the patriarch gets an illness like dementia, and isn't able to rule his home anymore, but needs help with things like findig his own house after he went for a walk in the neighborhood? Especially since people with such illnesses can suddenly get very aggressive and even violent at times.

I think we have all had 'brain farts'.

Once I got up in the morning to go to work and started driving to a job I had not worked at for 2.5 years. Once my dad picked me up for a baseball game, on the way home we were talking and he drove right past my apartment.

What would a Terri if Steve were driving in the wrong direction? How long are you gonna let that go on? I thought a husband and wife were a team. Way to let the team down.

I have a husband who needs reminders, too. In fact, I personally would rather go the Maxwell way and just not remind him about anything. But then stuff wouldn't get done, husband would be irritable because I didn't remind him and so he forgot, and I'd be stewing in my own irritation that he forgot to do stuff. My house wouldn't be nearly as peaceful as if I'd just said, "Hey, did you remember to ... ?"

Or even "do you want me to ....?" -- the whole inner struggle about pizza being ordered and arriving on time would have been a much shorter, easier process had Terri just asked. And maybe I'm too used to interacting with reasonable adults, but if I offered to call in the pizza order, I'd expect either "I was just about to do that" or "sure, that would be awesome". Not pouting and grumbling about authority and reverence and bullshit.

I think I remember something about Kelly Bates coming right out and admitting that one of the reasons she likes the male headship thing is that she doesn't have to worry about every day tasks and important things like bill paying and money management. She says she just passes it off to her husband and she gets to be content. In some ways this idea just gives the wife an excuse to be lazy. She doesn't have to make any decisions because the husband makes them for her. When fundie live at home they have their father to make all decisions for them. When they get married their husband takes on this role. Some may even make it their whole lives without making any important life decision.

It may also be a way to pass off the blame to someone else. If the pizza is forgotten it's not her fault because it's not her responsibility to ensure the food arrives on time. I just wonder how far they will take it. If the house burns down because Steve left the stove on will she just say "This was a perfect lesson in reverencing my husband. We may have lost everything but the clothes on our backs but I'm blessed that the Lord allowed me the opportunity to learn how to reverence my husband."

This type of thinking can lead to deadly consequences if taken too far.

Proverbs 31:14-15

She is like the merchant ships, bringing her food from afar. She gets up while it is still night; she provides food for her family and portions for her female servants.

Does this cover pizza?

I love Proverbs 31. It's the best argument ever that SAHM does not mean having children, cooking, cleaning and leaving everything else to your husband.

Oh yeah, and in my house, whoever is responsible for dinner that night, orders and pays for the pizza. There's a roster and everyone has nights when they make dinner. You can swap a night if you are busy or you can order takeaway but you have to pay yourself. No reminders. Just do it.

I just threw up a little in my mouth.

These people have turned the most mundane, normal, unthought about parts of daily life and interaction and turned them into 'all about their god'. Actually, all about them, since no god gives a damn.

I have a feeling that gets stronger almost by the day that Steve is a sniveling, whining baby and Teri has checked her brain at the Pepsi factory since it would be dangerous to have and use one around her infantile, pathetic husband.

Often I wish I could live a life not bogged down with worry or struggling or managing money or any other daily tasks. I often say I'd like to live on an island with nothing but me and some books and wine and not have to pay bills, go to work, clean, do laundry, buy food...any and all the normal, daily things that make up life. But, eventually, I remember that life would be pretty worthless then.

I think the Maxwells are living proof of that.

:wtf: The only thing going through my head as I skimmed the post (I don't want to devote too much brain power to reading that shit) was how far does this non-reminding reverencing go? If Steve needed a reminder to go to work ( :lol: ) would Teri still be reverencing him by not reminding him? What if it was important medication? This makes it seem that Teri would rather Steve die/become seriously sick from not taking vital medication than not "reverence" him.

Maybe she's waiting for that :twisted: no pill no more headship to reverence.

What a twisted mind I have :mrgreen:

Such convoluted illogic. The time they waste on that sort of mental gymnastics is astounding. I take ALL of those scriptures she quoted to be MUCH more of a level playing ground...

I think Teri is very responsible for pushing Steve "down the rabbit hole". Was she lazy or was her mental depression at the root? It's such a shame, Sarah, Anna, and Mary have only Teri to look up to as a guide to being a wife and mother. They are/were allowed little contact with other families.

Isn't Teri the one who suffers from depression? ? ? ? :o

And who could blame her... :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

I have a feeling that gets stronger almost by the day that Steve is a sniveling, whining baby and Teri has checked her brain at the Pepsi factory since it would be dangerous to have and use one around her infantile, pathetic husband.

Same here. To be honest, it seems to me that the whole family has had to tiptoe around Steve. Once he went down the rabbit hole, Teri, who ideally should have stood up for herself and and her kids (and who knows maybe tried to) just gave up and let the kids in particular take care of things while she played the whole submissive wife because it was just the path of least resistance against her batshit crazy husband. In fairness, some people are just not strong against crazy shit like this and she could be one of them.

I think Teri is very responsible for pushing Steve "down the rabbit hole". Was she lazy or was her mental depression at the root? It's such a shame, Sarah, Anna, and Mary have only Teri to look up to as a guide to being a wife and mother. They are/were allowed little contact with other families.

Hahahahahahaha that's funny. Sarah, Anna, and Mary will never have to worry about being a wife and mother. They'll be cleaning ceiling fans and waking for Steve to bring home pizza until he dies, then they'll do the same for their brothers until they die. And that's why we call it MaxHell.

Just let that sit with you for a minute

"Awaiting the Lord's Pizza Delivery" is our newest post count title! :dance:

If there is a God, might I wonder why he is so involved in your pizza timing situation when most of the world doesn't have enough to eat?

Right? It seems so narcissistic to think that God figures out the perfect timing for your pizza delivery with all of the other terrible things going on in the world

How is it possibly sinful to ask where your spouse is going when they leave the house? In our house it's common courtesy to tell people where you're going when you leave. If you don't say anything then someone will ask-not because we don't have respect for each other but because we have LOVE for each other. If something happens to a family member, it's a good idea to know where the rest of the family is.

Can you imagine an emergency with the Maxwells and when the police/first responders ask, "where is your husband/father?" the Maxwell women have to answer, "we don't know, it is sinful to ask our headship where he is going."

WTF is wrong with these people?

How is it possibly sinful to ask where your spouse is going when they leave the house? In our house it's common courtesy to tell people where you're going when you leave. If you don't say anything then someone will ask-not because we don't have respect for each other but because we have LOVE for each other. If something happens to a family member, it's a good idea to know where the rest of the family is.

Can you imagine an emergency with the Maxwells and when the police/first responders ask, "where is your husband/father?" the Maxwell women have to answer, "we don't know, it is sinful to ask our headship where he is going."

I was wondering the same thing! If one of us walks down to the liquor store on the corner to get candy or a soda we will tell the other where we're going and ask if they want anything, if we go down to the garage (we live in an apartment building) we tell the other.

I'm also wondering why it wasn't Teri's 'jurisdiction' to get the pizza? Is it because money was involved? Or possibly talking to a man she didn't know? Why?

I had my head in my hands and was reading through my fingers halfway through the pizza story, but all of you have made me laugh. Thank you.

If there was such a concern with Steve forgetting to order pizza, why didn't she just order it herself?

I think that would have been seen as "usurping" him...

I feel the same way, since in my life, it's considered common courtesy to let each other know where you're going when you leave, and often before going to the grocery store, asking if anyone needs you to pick up anything. It's more than just respect and love, but should something happen, it's good to know where everyone is.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Terri has depression, since most women in that situation would develop it.

I think that would have been seen as "usurping" him...

That, and there might have been a male on the other end of the telephone when she made the call. :naughty:

Archived