IGNORED

Meri (Sisterwives) has a boyfriend er catfish MERGED

Justme

I think whatever two or more consenting adults want to do with their lives is fine. So I am not against polygamy as such. However, I become concerned when it becomes an unhealthy environment for minors or when one or more parties become "trapped" (at which point I don't think they are truly consensual anymore).

The Browns have a pretty good environment for their kids from what we have seen. I don't really have concerns there. My real concern is that the relationship is highly unequal, and I feel like some of the wives are unhappy, do not get their needs met, and stay because they feel trapped financially, by their religion, and because the kids do have such a good environment that they are worried about breaking it.

The real problem with polygamy most of the time isn't the polygamy itself, it's the culture around it that is often harsh and legalistic. Plural marriage is usually practiced in environments designed to trap people (usually the women) in marriages they might not be happy in and are willing to completely cutoff anyone who leaves. I do have a problem with this. "Hippy Polygamy"/polyamory where both parties are completely free to leave if they are unsatisfied I have no issues with at all.

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've long thought that if polygamy were legal/not stigmatized the way it is, then the abusive aspects would subside. More and more I realize that abuse is a byproduct of insular distrust of the outside world in these cases. People are taught that no matter how bad it is, the outside world is worse.

You don't have to be polygamous to feel trapped in a marriage.

In watching the show, I have to say that a lot of times Meri did seem unhappy. But obviously it's impossible to know if she was or just seemed that way. It would be quite interesting if she ended up leaving the family. And I'm curious about the Twitter friendship so I may have to check that out.

But I don't know...it seems kind of unlikely.

If I were to ever guess which one, if any, of the wives would leave...I'd say Janelle. Mainly because she just doesn't seem like she has a husband/wife relationship with Kody at all.

In watching the show, I have to say that a lot of times Meri did seem unhappy. But obviously it's impossible to know if she was or just seemed that way. It would be quite interesting if she ended up leaving the family. And I'm curious about the Twitter friendship so I may have to check that out.

But I don't know...it seems kind of unlikely.

If I were to ever guess which one, if any, of the wives would leave...I'd say Janelle. Mainly because she just doesn't seem like she has a husband/wife relationship with Kody at all.

I agree and Janelle has left once already. Before the show, when her kids were younger, she left Kody. I'm not sure for how long. I think it is discussed in their book.

I think there are arguments to be made against all polygamist groups (the Browns church is still very conservative, distrusts the govt, pushes women as subservient who should marry and breed young, and has a leadership structure that is riddled with corruption and coverups and sexual abuse) however these problems apply to plenty of regular churches or fundie groups that practice monogamy. The polygamy itself often causes women to feel trapped or neglected but I'm all for consenting adults practicing whatever kind of relationship they want.

I agree and Janelle has left once already. Before the show, when her kids were younger, she left Kody. I'm not sure for how long. I think it is discussed in their book.

Really? I had no idea. But I can't say I blame her. Just from watching the show, I feel like Kody treats her the worst. Not that he's a bad guy or abusive or anything like that. He just seems indifferent to her.

Yes janelle left, with her kids, for three whole years. It was because of her horrible relationship with meri. She still was married to Kody but refused to live with meri. That's when he bought the UTah house where they all got a wing.

I have been impressed by how Janelle parents. Sure, you can tell she is sometimes frustrated but what mom with six kids and an absentee father wouldn't be? I think Meri and Christine have gone way overboard with the group shaming on some pretty normal kid/teen behavior. I do wonder if this is because Meri and Christine grew up in polygamy and they were just raised with unattainable standards for how kids should act. Janelle seems a bit more real and realizes that you can't make it a war every time your 13 year old rolls their eyes. I think in the beginning Meri and Christine were way more into being on TV then they are now.

It is, and I've read their book, or at least parts of it (I'm aromantic, and I find romance rather boring at best, utterly confusing at worst).

Not all the wives were raised to accept polygamy, and I don't believe any were raised to believe that polygamy is the only way to heaven.

That being said, even from what they've written in their book, polygamy has always been hard for the Browns, and from read between the lines, I'm not

Convinced it ever truly was working or that everyone was truly happy.

Christine is a major drama queen and I think at first she definitely liked the idea of being on t.v. But I wonder if she didn't like seeing herself being so dramatic. I wonder if the drama she produces is a way for her to get some Kody attention or something.

I've long thought that if polygamy were legal/not stigmatized the way it is, then the abusive aspects would subside. More and more I realize that abuse is a byproduct of insular distrust of the outside world in these cases. People are taught that no matter how bad it is, the outside world is worse.

You don't have to be polygamous to feel trapped in a marriage.

Might want to talk with Muslim women about this.

I went to that guy's Twitter page. And his bio says "Taken ;)"

And his pinned tweet is "I can't live without your presence ;)" and a link to some song.

Interesting. Especially since he put in a winky face.

But he also says, in his blog, that his girlfriend lives in Chicago and he was thinking of moving there. And that was this month.

The rumored boyfriend's Twitter name is "notbatmanyet."

Yesterday (22 hours ago) Kody tweeted...

"Real men don't dream they are Batman, nor aspire to dark, controversial roles. Men lovingly become Santa Clause to their children! ;-)"

Yesterday (15 hours ago) the maybe boyfriend tweeted....

"A humble man remembers that God is the real man in charge of life. Not the other way around ;) Just Sayin' #FTGB "

(Not sure what FTGB is.)

But he also says, in his blog, that his girlfriend lives in Chicago and he was thinking of moving there. And that was this month.

Where does it says she lives there? I am too lazy to read all of his blog.

Though I did read one post where he talks about moving to Chicago and I suppose it could read that she lives there. But I kind of read it as they could both move there. I don't know. Maybe I just want the rumor to be true so I am seeing what I want to see...haha.

I was reading the blog entry all about his girlfriend. It's very interesting because at the beginning, he talks about Discovery Communications reading his blog. And then he talks about spending time with his girlfriend the day before (which would be June 16th.) It does mention thinking about moving to Chicago full time. But it doesn't really say that's where she lives. His blog does list Chicago as somewhere he already lives part time though.

The pinned tweet of his I mentioned earlier was from June 18th.

On June 16th Meri tweeted...

"I know MY truth, what I want, what I feel. No matter what others try to place on me because of their own perceptions or manipulations."

On June 17th she said...

"Woke up with a heart full of love today........"

Then she has a bunch of retweets people made about love.

The timeline is interesting to me in relation to that blog post of his.

Kody would serve himself well to not engage in a war of words- especially not in public. He doesn't strike me as the brightest bulb in the box. I think he far overestimates the affects of his surfer dude like charm on adults.

Where does it says she lives there? I am too lazy to read all of his blog.

Though I did read one post where he talks about moving to Chicago and I suppose it could read that she lives there. But I kind of read it as they could both move there. I don't know. Maybe I just want the rumor to be true so I am seeing what I want to see...haha.

We knew each other a little while before we started to really get to know each other better. And now 6 and a half months later we are in love and happy. We are seriously talking about me moving full time to Chicago and us sharing our life there. She means the world to me and I am excited to continue our relationship on this beautiful path.

The way he says him moving to Chicago, not them, is why I think she lives there.

notbatmanyet.com/?p=234

I will say that his Twitter and blog matches Meri's annoying style. Emotional and weird.

:lol:

Kody would serve himself well to not engage in a war of words- especially not in public. He doesn't strike me as the brightest bulb in the box. I think he far overestimates the affects of his surfer dude like charm on adults.

It can be vaguely entertaining to see him put his foot in his mouth, though. As a Californian, I must object to the use of "surfer dude" on him. I know he's going for that, but that overgrown boy does not live near an ocean, nor is he actually adequately chill to earn the term.

Oh, I really hope Meri has broken free! That would be fantastic. I'd like to see the Brown women gain independence.

The problem I have with polygamy is the concentrated power in the patriarch. Look at how these women compete for the attention of this one (incredibly douchey) man. Everyone but Robyn seems unhappy in her own way -- and Robyn doesn't look all that happily stable herself.

It's not just the Browns who seem so committed to a principle that causes such despair, either. Other polygamists who write after leaving the lifestyle have similar reports, and often the other families they describe sound the same. Even the writers who claim it was happy (Dorothy Allred Solomon comes to mine) describe women struggling with the situation.

Part of the problem with polygamy is spiritual abuse. Polygamous Mormons and Muslims usually have sad stories to report. I don't know if it could work better in other, more open situations.

Plenty of people choose to suffer for what they believe is holy. Fasting comes to mind. Is it really consent if they were raised to believe this? For many of the compound women, I'd say no, but nothing about any of the Brown women screams sheltered to me. If this is the life they choose, happy or not, I have no problem with it. The kids appear loved and cared for. The girls get just as much independence as the boys (other than dress code, but even that's not as bad as some). It seems like many of the older kids are making their own decisions about polygamy and faith. Those decisions might make Kody sad, but I don't get the impression that he shames or shuns them for it.

Again, growing up where I did, I am extremely aware of the abuse that can occur. I just think that if everything wasn't so secret it would be a lot easier for these people to hold their leaders accountable. I don't get the impression that many of them want to be secretive. They have to be or go to jail.

It is, and I've read their book, or at least parts of it (I'm aromantic, and I find romance rather boring at best, utterly confusing at worst).

Not all the wives were raised to accept polygamy, and I don't believe any were raised to believe that polygamy is the only way to heaven.

That being said, even from what they've written in their book, polygamy has always been hard for the Browns, and from read between the lines, I'm not

Convinced it ever truly was working or that everyone was truly happy.

The Browns don't have to do much to be viewed as better than the FLDS version of polygamy; all they need to do is dress modern, not live on a compound, not marry underage girls, not engage in incest, or commit mass welfare fraud. The Politicsruprinciple blog shows that the Browns aren't that far removed from the FLDS due to their wreath-like family ties to more extreme polygamist groups. Some of the pictures and news articles of the Sister Wives as kids and teenagers suggest that they once lived much stricter lives than they do now. I also don't think that the Browns are illustrative of the average AUB family either. Didn't they get into trouble with their bishop for wanting to do the show in the first place?

The Brown adults all come off as immature and drama-obsessed, perhaps because they're forced to live this constant high school-like drama if they want to get to the Celestial Kingdom. All of the Sister Wives, especially Meri, come off as wishing they were the only wife, but they feel like they have to be polygamous. If they can't get along in this life, why would they even want to go to the Celestial Kingdom together where they'll be stuck together for all eternity? :cray-cray:

It can be vaguely entertaining to see him put his foot in his mouth, though. As a Californian, I must object to the use of "surfer dude" on him. I know he's going for that, but that overgrown boy does not live near an ocean, nor is he actually adequately chill to earn the term.

Oh, I really hope Meri has broken free! That would be fantastic. I'd like to see the Brown women gain independence.

The problem I have with polygamy is the concentrated power in the patriarch. Look at how these women compete for the attention of this one (incredibly douchey) man. Everyone but Robyn seems unhappy in her own way -- and Robyn doesn't look all that happily stable herself.

It's not just the Browns who seem so committed to a principle that causes such despair, either. Other polygamists who write after leaving the lifestyle have similar reports, and often the other families they describe sound the same. Even the writers who claim it was happy (Dorothy Allred Solomon comes to mine) describe women struggling with the situation.

Part of the problem with polygamy is spiritual abuse. Polygamous Mormons and Muslims usually have sad stories to report. I don't know if it could work better in other, more open situations.

I'm another Californian who objects to him being called a "surfer dude" since he's nothing like a real part of the surfing culture. I'm basically close to Surf City, USA(Huntington Beach) and the place where the Beach Boys grew up which was Hawthorne and not that far from the ocean. As for polygamy, I wouldn't mind if others who are consenting adults do so, but as it's actually practiced, people raised in it are brainwashed from birth that it's the only way to the highest level of heaven. Both polygamist Mormons and Muslims have awful stories about it, especially among women. One thing is, that even women in monogamous marriages sometimes feel trapped as well, especially if they were taught that divorce is a serious sin, and not an option.

I really hope this rumor is true and that Meri is leaving finally. While this could be a big publicity stunt for the show, Meri's unhappiness seems genuine. She was the only one not smiling in Robyn's pregnancy announcement.

The one card she had to play as the wife with fertility issues was her legal wife status, when she signed that away to Robyn I knew something strange was happening.

The entire "boyfriend" thing could be staged, but does anyone besides the regular viewers care enough to tune in because of this fake drama? Also, Kody has an ego the size of Las Vegas, would he really be okay with people thinking Meri is stepping out on him and losing his stud muffin image (at least in his little pea-brain)?

There have been a lot of rumors about Meri for the past 6 months and her Twitter is downright strange. I wouldn't be surprised if she agreed to the divorce if Kody would give up his half of the house and she is just sticking around now for the show money.

At this point, I would be thrilled if any of the wives left Kody, the guy gives me the creeps. Janelle seems like the only wife who doesn't mind sharing her husband, Christine was happy as long as she was the newest, youngest, cutest wife and Robyn knocked her off that pedestal just like Robyn will be knocked off as soon as Kody starts looking for Meri's replacement or a newer version.

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived