IGNORED

Alaskan Bush People

HerDellness

Man, I'm so glad there's a freejinger topic on this show. I got to watch a lot of it earlier this summer and man oh man the kid with the trench coat gives me the creeps. He reminds me of this awful student who was in a seminar with me who only spoke in a British accent (he was from Calgary), refused to called women professors "Dr." (he called them Madame, which is fine in French class but not in any other situation), and thought the south should go black to the pre 1860s way of life. Just a general creep and weird guy, and the Browns' son reminds me so much of him.

the whole show seems weird to me--like how Swamp people is pretty contrived and very scripted.

I just signed a work contract for north slope Barrow Alaska petroleum industry. I leave to Barrow on last of September. I am so feeling excited for a different place so extreme as Barrow. I saw the show of the Alaska Brown family a few times. I don't think they know life to live in Barrow. My research say it's not trees and bush but snow ice and colder. I like this topic.

Are you going to be stationed in Barrow? Most workers end up in Prudhoe Bay. Which is a little different, because Barrow has people who live there that aren't workers. Either way, that's right! It's tundra - so very few trees, arctic weather, polar bears, and COLD. Also mosquitoes in the brief summer. Have fun. You will probably hate it, but enjoy the schedule & pay. You can PM me if you have specific questions.

Congratulations oil, there are good jobs on the north slope. Both my ex husband and my current husband have worked there. You are right, barrow is way above the arctic circle, way above the tree line!!! Tundra and sea ice! It will be an adventure for you. But you will be working 7/12's most likely on the slope, so won't see much out of doors except for work, depending on your assignment.

Edited to add that Maggie May is right, most end up working at

Prudhoe bay.that is what I meant by saying the slope. I am just tired...::-)

Are you going to be stationed in Barrow? Most workers end up in Prudhoe Bay. Which is a little different, because Barrow has people who live there that aren't workers. Either way, that's right! It's tundra - so very few trees, arctic weather, polar bears, and COLD. Also mosquitoes in the brief summer. Have fun. You will probably hate it, but enjoy the schedule & pay. You can PM me if you have specific questions.

I will be living in barrow Top of the World hotel, one room only, but paying by my employer. From September to May months I will be teaching class for careers to focus on Petroleum Engineering and Environmental Safety at Ilisaġvik College, but on weekends I fly to Prudhoe bay to the station to gain my engineering experience more.

Thank you I will PM to you with my questions!!

Congratulations oil, there are good jobs on the north slope. Both my ex husband and my current husband have worked there. You are right, barrow is way above the arctic circle, way above the tree line!!! Tundra and sea ice! It will be an adventure for you. But you will be working 7/12's most likely on the slope, so won't see much out of doors except for work, depending on your assignment.

Edited to add that Maggie May is right, most end up working at

Prudhoe bay.that is what I meant by saying the slope. I am just tired...::-)

Thanks you, too!

I knew the word tundra from only recently hearing it reading it in English. Yes, tundra is exciting to me.

I am to be teaching for 2 semester and going to the rig so yes I will not have a lot of free times. After teaching requirement is over and I live at the Prudhoe North rig I will have none free time, so many working hours.

To the Alaskan Bush Brown family, I read everything last night I could find and yes they did fraud but I don't care, if they go to jailing oh well, they did it. But I watched a lot of the shows last night and I like the family love . They re create the times in from the book that written by the father. The mother had a tooth ache and I believe it real so they do have suffering and I believe they want to live in the "bush" but accepting the TV show to earn money.

Thanks you, too!

I knew the word tundra from only recently hearing it reading it in English. Yes, tundra is exciting to me.

I am to be teaching for 2 semester and going to the rig so yes I will not have a lot of free times. After teaching requirement is over and I live at the Prudhoe North rig I will have none free time, so many working hours.

To the Alaskan Bush Brown family, I read everything last night I could find and yes they did fraud but I don't care, if they go to jailing oh well, they did it. But I watched a lot of the shows last night and I like the family love . They re create the times in from the book that written by the father. The mother had a tooth ache and I believe it real so they do have suffering and I believe they want to live in the "bush" but accepting the TV show to earn money.

When I lived in Alaska I lived in the bush, north of Fairbanks, not deep in the "real" bush,fly or boat in, but no plumbing, electricity or any town services. So I hauled my water, used an outhouse, chopped wood, ran a front end loader in the winter with a quick attach blade for plowing out my cabin and my

neighbors cabins as well, etc., etc.

In the summer when my husband wasn't working up on the slope, we worked on small "poor boy" suction dredge placer gold mining sites in the circle central mining district. I usually ran the excavator, cause easy :-) he maintained equipment.

I also was a doula, so I assisted at Alaska home births, worked for hospice, volunteered at the university of ak Fairbanks museum of natural history and worked as a research assistant for the dept of anthroplogy parttime after I moved back to fairbanks.

I found that in Alaska I HAD to stay really busy because of the extreme dark in the winter and the 24 hours of light in the summer...so I learned a lot about alaska native culture, local healthcare issues, mining, local art scene and bush life...I was young and energetic!

Edited for auto correct

This thread piqued my interest to check out the show On Demand. The aerial footage and scenery are breathtaking! I would to visit one day to see the natural beauty for myself. I could do without the "reality" aspect plus the off-ness of the family. The goatee & trench coat son was creepy in his courting ritual.

Maggie Mae & Eight-of-Eleven, are there any shows or documentaries y'all would recommend showing what it's like to live in Alaska?

Oil, congratulations on your new job! I wish you well in relocating, and your new adventure.

Thanks you, too!

The weird thing about season 1, is that the Browns didn't even live in the bush. They lived in a subdivision. From what I understand now they live in a hotel. I could be wrong, of course.

The weird thing about season 1, is that the Browns didn't even live in the bush. They lived in a subdivision. From what I understand now they live in a hotel. I could be wrong, of course.

Oh my gosh, Maggie Mae, that's hilarious. But I know so many people who live in subdivisions right outside of town in ak that could look like "the bush" to people from outside. People from most towns in the lower 48 usually have indoor plumbing n stuff so it looks more frontier in Alaska than it really is in some places. When in reality you can hop in your pick up and drive to Sam's club in Fairbanks and go shopping every week for supplies...

I also was a doula, so I assisted at Alaska home births, worked for hospice, volunteered at the university of ak Fairbanks museum of natural history and worked as a research assistant for the dept of anthroplogy parttime after I moved back to fairbanks.

This is beautiful! Im still hunting for a husband and if i get a pregnancy, may I call you to doula? LOL

• 3 months later...

I'm bumping this thread for updates and a bit of a question:

The stars of ABP have been charged with Alaska's permanent dividend fund fraud (felonies).  They were trying to negotiate a plea agreement, but it's been rejected.

Here's the story:

http://www.adn.com/article/20151119/plea-deal-rejected-alaskan-bush-people-stars-could-face-jail-time

Anyhoo, what makes it even more interesting is that some speculation has arisen that Discovery will cancel the show . . . but so far, no.  (I thought they had a marathon today that got pre-empted, but I was looking at the guide wrong and they're still on.)

I'm very curious as to how this will be handled as compared to 19KAC.

Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

“They’re kind of TV stars. This exposure here is not good. It can’t help their show, Judge,” said James McGowan, Billy Brown’s attorney, during Thursday’s hearing. “I don’t know if you’ve ever seen their show, but it’s about pioneering Alaskans -- showing what it’s like to live in rural Alaska -- and this case would make it look like they’re not these pioneering Alaskans.”

Seriously? Trying to play up the "Don't you know who I am?" angle? That doesn't help your cause.  And heaven forbid people might find out that the show isn't as factual as they make it out to be!

I have to admit, I just can't stand this show. I was subjected to it while I was on holiday with friends. I had to leave the room after a few minutes because it just annoyed me. They were so fake and so obnoxious. I couldn't find any redeeming qualities at all. 

But I cannot stand people who play the "I'm kind of a big deal" card. I don't care who you are, the rules must remain the same for all. 

I admit that I've watched this show fairly regularly (& I do like the house they've built); but something does seem a bit fishy with them.

I have also watched the other Alaskan show (Kilchers & other homesteaders); that seems a bit more genuine to me. I give them credit for living their lifestyles; there's no way I could do that.

Yikes!  Sounds like Billy Brown finally got himself into something he can't just wiggle out of.  This family is just so strange to me. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

The show is as phony as a 3 USD bill.  These are obviously a hardcore family of grifters.  They live in the lower 48 and extended breaks in Alaska.   They ran a long con that got them a TV show and someone they crossed reported them.  Fake from top to bottom, and Disco should go down for it.

• 1 month later...

I had a dream about them last night. I dreamt that they were visiting/staying over @ my mother's house & leaving the next day. One of their sons (can't remember his name; the one that's a nut about climbing trees & howling all of the time) took a liking to me & wanted my cell phone #.

I guess that's what I get for watching a few episodes of their show last night. :P 

• 1 month later...

Ok, I'll put it out there and fully admit to being a sucker (or maybe they're just really good actors), but the one son (I can never keep them straight) admitted to one of his brothers that he was having a drinking problem (& was going to get help); it's the curly-haired one that doesn't wear glasses (he had his sisters help him build some sort of a greenhouse contraption during one episode). During his confession, he seemed honest & he also appeared to be genuinely upset.

Did anyone else catch this, or did they pull the wool over my eyes?

The one with the drinking problem is Matt. I thought his confession seemed sincere but since this is a reality show and the family seems to be faking everything, it's hard to know for sure.

Archived