IGNORED

Will DPIAR Settle Out of Court?

gustava

Thought I would start a new thread to "bet" on whether Dougie will eventually settle rather than "let the jury/judge decide."

Mods....Please move/merge as you deem appropriate.

I''m guess they'll settle out of court, at the very last minute, because there's so much evidence against Dougie. His ego will object, but his attorney will implore.

What think FJers?

I'm betting no. Dougie is off the charts in attention-whoring and manipulation - I think he'll see the trial as his latest venue for both.

Whatever happens, I hope he gets the severest punishment possible for the kind of crimes he has done, and the best possible outcome for Lourdes. I would really like to see him in jail. It would be so hilarious and really knock him down a peg or two.

I am also betting that Dougie goes through with the trial, attention whore that he is. Unless his lawyer can really convince him to settle to avoid the sordid details of him raping someone.

And this may be an inappropriate thought, but my first thought upon seeing this thread was "I wonder what kind of period costume Dougie will appear in if/when he has to testify".

I am also betting that Dougie goes through with the trial, attention whore that he is. Unless his lawyer can really convince him to settle to avoid the sordid details of him raping someone.

And this may be an inappropriate thought, but my first thought upon seeing this thread was "I wonder what kind of period costume Dougie will appear in if/when he has to testify".

Imagine the hilarity of having him wear a costume in court :D Everyone else is dressed up nicely in suits and stuff, looking all professional, and there is Doug dressed up like some kind of explorer, a soldier....or maybe in a full suit of armor :D

If there's a decision to settle, would that require cooperation with VFM, VFI, and their respective insurance companies? Or can DPIAT settle solo while the remainder go to trial?

I agree with Marian. Doug's ego is ginormous and he wants his day in court. I think he will bank on his so-called charisma to win over a jury. He may be able to do that too. I really don't trust juries on these sort of cases. Sorry.

I'm also on record that I hope Lourdes's case can be settled out of court because if it goes to trial it will get very dirty. Doug's legal team and Doug himself will try to drag Lourdes through the muck. It will be very hard on Lourdes even if she wins. As she should. Unfortunately there are no guarantees.

Doug's eagerness to go to trial in the state lawsuit may depend on the outcome of the federal lawsuit, scheduled for this July last we heard. Lourdes's state lawsuit is not scheduled until next year.

To clarify, the federal lawsuit was filed by the Assurance Company of America. Doug, VFI, VFM, and Lourdes were all named as defendants. This is the insurance carrier for Doug and VF. ACA wants to deny coverage to Vision Forum and DP on the grounds that DP did some funny business and misrepresented the connections between VFI and VFM, IIRC. I wouldn't be at all surprised if DP engaged in misrepresentation.

If ACA wins the federal case then any judgment in the state case against Doug and his collaborators Brown, Hart, and Zes will hit them all squarely in the wallets. If the VFM BoD was not indemnified that is. Brown, Hart, and Zes may want DP to settle and/or they may throw his sorry ass right under the bus.

ILoveJellybeans, these are both civil cases so Doug will not go to prison. Unfortunately.

I bet Doug will don the full court dress of a British Barrister during the lawsuit - wig, stock, gown and all. :lol:

Edit: grammar

Thought I would start a new thread to "bet" on whether Dougie will eventually settle rather than "let the jury/judge decide."

Mods....Please move/merge as you deem appropriate.

I''m guess they'll settle out of court, at the very last minute, because there's so much evidence against Dougie. His ego will object, but his attorney will implore.

What think FJers?

I kind of lean toward settlement. Part of that is my own professional bias. I know from being a Degreed Law Professional(hee!) that close to 90% of civil actions settle.

While I've seen enough of DP's public persona to get a sense of what that is like, and I have a little bit of info from my own circles since I come from a background of folks who were either close with his mentors or close with some of his inner circle. However, even with that, I wouldn't say that I could even begin to guess what he's like when he's not in public speaking mode. The public version of DP strikes me as uncompromising and arrogant enough to push this through court. However, in real life he might be more commonsensical than we give him credit for, and he might also be more inclined to give his family some privacy by agreeing to a confidential settlement. I don't know - though I'd be curious to hear from those that know him better.

I'm torn because yes, Doug is an attention whore, but he is also a coward at heart. I just don't know.

Palimpsest, thank you for your very clear and concise explanation of these two cases.

Imagine the hilarity of having him wear a costume in court :D Everyone else is dressed up nicely in suits and stuff, looking all professional, and there is Doug dressed up like some kind of explorer, a soldier....or maybe in a full suit of armor :D

I think he'll go full on Count of Monte Cristo. Black and white striped old school prison garb with three weeks worth of beard, clutching at his breast and staring upward to the heavens.

He's being persecuted people. PERSECUTED!

I think he'll go full on Count of Monte Cristo. Black and white striped old school prison garb with three weeks worth of beard, clutching at his breast and staring upward to the heavens.

He's being persecuted people. PERSECUTED!

Wasn't his trip to Greece shortly before he was ousted as a disgusting rapist? I remember the anticipation on FJ of seeing Dougie and his interns fully decked out in togas with laurel wreaths on their heads. If I recall, those costumes never came to fruition (much to Twin2's dismay). So maybe Dougie will appear in court like that.

I'm torn because yes, Doug is an attention whore, but he is also a coward at heart. I just don't know.

Palimpsest, thank you for your very clear and concise explanation of these two cases.

Thank you. I should add the disclaimer that I am not a Degreed Law ProfessionalTM :lol: and that my summary of the ACA federal lawsuit is from memory only. I'm pretty sure Julie Anne has that documented on SSB. I'll see if I can find the document and link to it when I get a moment.

I agree with Marian. Doug's ego is ginormous and he wants his day in court. I think he will bank on his so-called charisma to win over a jury. He may be able to do that too. I really don't trust juries on these sort of cases. Sorry.

I'm also on record that I hope Lourdes's case can be settled out of court because if it goes to trial it will get very dirty. Doug's legal team and Doug himself will try to drag Lourdes through the muck. It will be very hard on Lourdes even if she wins. As she should. Unfortunately there are no guarantees.

Doug's eagerness to go to trial in the state lawsuit may depend on the outcome of the federal lawsuit, scheduled for this July last we heard. Lourdes's state lawsuit is not scheduled until next year.

To clarify, the federal lawsuit was filed by the Assurance Company of America. Doug, VFI, VFM, and Lourdes were all named as defendants. This is the insurance carrier for Doug and VF. ACA wants to deny coverage to Vision Forum and DP on the grounds that DP did some funny business and misrepresented the connections between VFI and VFM, IIRC. I wouldn't be at all surprised if DP engaged in misrepresentation.

If ACA wins the federal case then any judgment in the state case against Doug and his collaborators Brown, Hart, and Zes will hit them all squarely in the wallets. If the VFM BoD was not indemnified that is. Brown, Hart, and Zes may want DP to settle and/or they may throw his sorry ass right under the bus.

ILoveJellybeans, these are both civil cases so Doug will not go to prison. Unfortunately.

I bet Doug will don the full court dress of a British Barrister during the lawsuit - wig, stock, gown and all. :lol:

Edit: grammar

Awwwwwwwwww that's not fair. Whats the worst that could happen to Doug now that jail is out of the question then?

I don't understand this suit. Why does ACA want deny coverage to Doug, VF, etal? Why is Lourdes included.

Awwwwwwwwww that's not fair. Whats the worst that could happen to Doug now that jail is out of the question then?

The worst that could happen to him is a massive financial settlement, putting a serious dent in his costume budget. He seriously might have a nervous breakdown if he can't keep playing dress-up.

As for his costume for court, I am envisioning something with tights, knickerbockers, and a tri-cornered hat. If he can also get props through security, I predict he will have some kind of hand-held telescope to round out the ensemble.

But I would be shocked if this goes to court. I think, in the end, Doug will not want some of the more embarrassing details to come out.

I don't understand this suit. Why does ACA want deny coverage to Doug, VF, etal? Why is Lourdes included.

Probably because they're the deep pocket. Since Lourdes would receive their money in a payout if she prevails I'd guess it's in ACA's interest to block her in any way.

I think that Dougie will not want to settle because he has massive delusions of grandeur and a giant ego to boot and probably thinks he'll be able to slut shame and or charm his way out of an unfavorable verdict if it went to trial. BUT...if his insurance company is involved and isn't able to disentangle themselves from potential liability - I am guessing the insurance company lawyers will scream, yell and in every way possible bully Doug into settling because they don't have time for that shit.

/am NOT a Degreed Law Professional but have taken someone like Doug to court on a civil case and witnessed the delusional behavior firsthand - and also the insurance company lawyers demanding a settlement vs. taking it to trial.

I bet Doug will don the full court dress of a British Barrister during the lawsuit - wig, stock, gown and all.

This sounds about right. I bet he gets bent out of shape when his attorneys forget that he's technically a Degreed Law Professional too.

Probably because they're the deep pocket. Since Lourdes would receive their money in a payout if she prevails I'd guess it's in ACA's interest to block her in any way.

The bolded part is mine. To summarize, ACA is saying that Doug and them (VF, Board of Directors, and DPIAT) lied and there isn't the separation of the company(ies) VFM and VF. This is called piercing the corporate veil. IF that is the ruling then Doug and all his Board of Directors (or co conspirators if you will) have to pay any monies IF THEY LOSE TO LOURDES :o out of their own pockets. :clap: This alone would/should cause VF Board to want to settle out of court with Lourdes. Doug, on the other hand, falls into a saying I have. You can be a little wrong or a lot wrong. Methinks Doug is not smart enough to be a little wrong (and settle) and will end up being a LOT wrong.

And btw, if they pierce the corporate veil then there are all sorts of interesting questions that the IRS would ask, cause, fraud you know and stuff;lots of audits and questions and who signed what and filed and didn't pay taxes on stuff :popcorn2: . That VF Board should have paid off Lourdes when this first came up.

To summarize, ACA is saying that Doug and them (VF, Board of Directors, and DPIAT) lied and there isn't the separation of the company(ies) VFM and VF. This is called piercing the corporate veil. IF that is the ruling then Doug and all his Board of Directors (or co conspirators if you will) have to pay any monies IF THEY LOSE TO LOURDES :o out of their own pockets. :clap: This alone would/should cause VF Board to want to settle out of court with Lourdes. Doug, on the other hand, falls into a saying I have. You can be a little wrong or a lot wrong. Methinks Doug is not smart enough to be a little wrong (and settle) and will end up being a LOT wrong.

Re: bolded. Bet there's a good chance that Doug will end up exemplifying the old saying, "The lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a client." When it comes down to listening to his legal counsel versus doing what he, the Greatest Lawyer in the Western Hemisphere and Possibly the Entire History (6000 years) of the World, wants to do, Doug won't hesitate!

And btw, if they pierce the corporate veil then there are all sorts of interesting questions that the IRS would ask, cause, fraud you know and stuff;lots of audits and questions and who signed what and filed and didn't pay taxes on stuff :popcorn2: . That VF Board should have paid off Lourdes when this first came up.

Re: bolded. Oh yes indeedy -- and perhaps we'll find out where Doug has squirreled away all that lovely money he siphoned off VFI/VFM. My accountant has always said that only a fool imagines the corporate veil to be impervious to piercing, especially when it comes to the IRS.

:popcorn:

This has me picturing NattyD et al dressed as harem girls, this veil talk.

The bolded part is mine. To summarize, ACA is saying that Doug and them (VF, Board of Directors, and DPIAT) lied and there isn't the separation of the company(ies) VFM and VF. This is called piercing the corporate veil. IF that is the ruling then Doug and all his Board of Directors (or co conspirators if you will) have to pay any monies IF THEY LOSE TO LOURDES :o out of their own pockets. :clap: This alone would/should cause VF Board to want to settle out of court with Lourdes. Doug, on the other hand, falls into a saying I have. You can be a little wrong or a lot wrong. Methinks Doug is not smart enough to be a little wrong (and settle) and will end up being a LOT wrong.

Thanks to both of you. A relative newbie and a longtime FJer working in tandem to clarify a complex issue. This is what I like best about FJ......as well as the image of Dougie in tights.

IF that is the ruling then Doug and all his Board of Directors (or co conspirators if you will) have to pay any monies IF THEY LOSE TO LOURDES out of their own pockets. This alone would/should cause VF Board to want to settle out of court with Lourdes.

Should this scenario play out -- Are the other board members wealthy? Wondering if James Leininger will step up and help pay for the settlement to keep it from going to trial. Leininger is very wealthy, politically influential as a behind-the-scenes puppetmaster, and has his fingers in a lot of ultra-Right-wing pies and definitely had major ties to Vision Forum -- Leininger lives in San Antonio.

Thanks to both of you. A relative newbie and a longtime FJer working in tandem to clarify a complex issue. This is what I like best about FJ......as well as the image of Dougie in tights.

I completely agree with Gustava. Thank you both. I really need to focus on what I love about FJ this morning.

I also love Julie Anne. Here's the link to her post on ACA's federal lawsuit. ACA uses some pretty strong language. http://spiritualsoundingboard.com/2014/ ... more-13304 (link not broken for obvious reasons.)

I also agree with Gibbs III. I hope Phillips, Brown, Hart and Zes have significant assets.

Archived