IGNORED

Newsflash: Sarah Maxwell has read the entire Bible!

SPHASH

New post up. Sarah talks about how she has read through the bible three times since 2011. Not surprising considering that is the only book she is allowed to read.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

OTOH, did you see the post underneath of Abby and Anna wearing the matching outfits? Abby is almost as tall as Anna. Seriously, she is pretty much shoulder height. And Abby's only 7- she's got a long way to go yet. Is Anna just short or is Abby tall?

When I was in 5th grade, a classmate of mine made it her summer goal to read the entire bible. She did it. Said it didn't take much about an hour during the day and an hour before she went to bed. Doing that she was able to get though it in 3 months. Given that, a person should be able to get through the entire Bible 4 times a year. So assuming she started the same age as my former classmate, 12, by my calculations she should have read the entire bible 40 times by now.

When I was in 5th grade, a classmate of mine made it her summer goal to read the entire bible. She did it. Said it didn't take much about an hour during the day and an hour before she went to bed. Doing that she was able to get though it in 3 months. Given that, a person should be able to get through the entire Bible 4 times a year. So assuming she started the same age as my former classmate, 12, by my calculations she should have read the entire bible 40 times by now.

I agree. For the fact that they, aside from some housework, walks, blogposts and occasional family visits, basically aren't allowed do to anything other than bible reading, three times in 4 years is not much at all.

Especially since she should know the book so well by now that she should be able to read through it a lot faster than someone who is reading it for the first or second time.

Don't they read the Bible twice a day for like an hour each? It does seem like she should have read it more times over.

I have only read a book more than once only on a few occasions. I can't imagine doing reading the same book over and over again.

Don't they read the Bible twice a day for like an hour each? It does seem like she should have read it more times over.

I have only read a book more than once only on a few occasions. I can't imagine doing reading the same book over and over again.

I always read my favourite books over and over again, but the Bible would be a tedious one. Some parts are awesome, entertaining, suspenseful, thought-provoking, encouraging, beautiful - but some are a real slog. Who wants to read all those genealogies and lists of rules and the penalties for breaking them? I did read through the entire Bible. I'm very glad I did, but I would never do it again.

I also always have to wonder how fundies reconcile the really graphic and disturbing sections of the Bible (let alone tamer stuff like Song of Solomon or Ruth and Boaz) with their worldview. Does Steve take a black marker to half of it before he lets Sarah read it or what? Like these girls aren't allowed to watch daytime TV or kiss their fiances, but they can read all about incest, rape, adultery and mutilation?

Same here!! Does she think its something different each time she reads the bible.

Honest question- don't all Christians read the entire Bible at least once in their life? I know I'm an evil, not-really-Christian Catholic and all, but I've read through the whole thing and will be doing so again in the future. Is this really supposed to be a big deal?

Honest question- don't all Christians read the entire Bible at least once in their life? I know I'm an evil, not-really-Christian Catholic and all, but I've read through the whole thing and will be doing so again in the future. Is this really supposed to be a big deal?

No, in fact I'd guess the vast majority of Christians don't. Plenty of Christians roll through life barely ever cracking open a Bible. They listen to what their pastor tells them, what their culture tells them, and they might read some books by Christian authors. Also, many Christians read the Bible extensively and may in fact have read every part of the Bible, some parts many times over, but have never actually read it straight through cover-to-cover, as though it were a novel. I don't think it's really necessary, but it does add a different perspective/appreciation for the text.

I don't think it's necessary to read it straight through, but it seems like if one is going to profess to believe in something, they should read the text (the whole thing, even the boring bits, of which there are many) on which their religion is based. Seems strange to me.

No, in fact I'd guess the vast majority of Christians don't. Plenty of Christians roll through life barely ever cracking open a Bible. They listen to what their pastor tells them, what their culture tells them, and they might read some books by Christian authors. Also, many Christians read the Bible extensively and may in fact have read every part of the Bible, some parts many times over, but have never actually read it straight through cover-to-cover, as though it were a novel. I don't think it's really necessary, but it does add a different perspective/appreciation for the text.

I think most Christians read the parts of the Bible that they like, such as the Gospel stories, Proverbs, and Psalms, parts that appear to be relatively "plain" with regard to their meanings. I seriously doubt that they read the more problematic parts or the long lists of genealogy or rituals in the Hebrew Bible. I've noticed that many people seem to think that certain well-known phrases like "Cleanliness is next to godliness" or "God helps those who help themselves" are in the Bible, when they really come from other places, like Shakespeare or Benjamin Franklin. I do remember reading a thread on the Puritan Board where a parent was concerned about exposing his/her young children to the violent bits in the Bible, but the consensus was that all scripture was good, so the children should read all of it, sex, violence, and all.

Of course she has. What else does she have to do or read? I wonder how much of her reading was done on personal Bible time or family Bible time? I'm a little surprised she didn't say. But then again, it's Sarah. She tells instead of shows -- there is never any depth to the facts she reports. Poor boring Sarah.

...it seems like if one is going to profess to believe in something, they should read the text (the whole thing, even the boring bits, of which there are many) on which their religion is based.

THIS.

3 times in 4 years? That really doesn't seem like much, although then again, she probably is forced to spend too much time cleaning, so doesnt have much time for reading. And she seems like the sort of person who would be a really slow reader because she has never been allowed and encouraged to read.

Its sad really. I have read hundreds of books in that time, and reread my favourites several times each, but Sarah is only allowed one that was not written by her family or herself. Maybe if she was allowed to read more, she would be a better writer.

I wonder what Steve does about the incest, rape, slavery, violence, sex...although then again, Sarah is just so naïve for an adult that it all goes over her head. I was a very early reader, and read everything I could get my hands on from being very little, even books that belonged to my parents. There are some things that I read years later and was like "OMG six year old me read this? I didn't realise it was that dirty! That sex scene went right over my head!".

Of course she has. What else does she have to do or read? I wonder how much of her reading was done on personal Bible time or family Bible time? I'm a little surprised she didn't say. But then again, it's Sarah. She tells instead of shows -- there is never any depth to the facts she reports. Poor boring Sarah.

Agree!!

If I had no life and no choice, I'd do the same thing. Instead, since I have a life and friends and a job and relationships and read any damn thing I please, I've probably read 300 different books since 2011.

How sad it is that her world is so small and her experiences so non-existent.

Yeah, but how much of it does she actually understand?

I've tried to read the entire bible, but things like the begats get me down, so I've skimmed stuff like that.. I agree, it's probably important to try to read the entire thing. I do enjoy "finding" bits that I've heard at Mass in their context in the Bible. maybe I'll get it out again. I keep one near each computer. My kids and I often look up verses that people have used to try to justify things, and we try to read the entire passage to see if the person quoting it has really used the quote in the proper perspective.

Yeah, gosh, maybe she's a slow reader. I read the whole bible through using this schedule and at around 15 minutes a day it only took me a year. The Maxwells read the bible every morning and evening. What took her so long?

I never did manage to do an entire read through, but I read the thing so much, even the obscure parts, that it wouldn't surprise me to find that I have read every single verse, at some point.

One time for morning devotions my friend insisted on reading one of the genealogies. I asked if they were baby names for her future kids, particularly the name "mushy."

Well that's the only book she can read. Wonder if daddy made her wrote a book report on it.

I'm sure he has!! I think Mary had to outline the Bible in order to graduate.

Archived