IGNORED

Doug Phillips & Vision Forum & Lourdes - Part 2

happy atheist

I haven't been keeping up with this. The last I knew, Lourdes was divorcing Nolan, and he wasn't coping well.

I encourage anyone with more knowledge than me to post a quick recap of recent topics.

Part 1: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21996

Older thread about this stuff:

Previous Lourdes Manteufel threads:

Part 1: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21549

Part 2: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21709

Previous Doug Phillips (is a tool) threads:

Part 1: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19831

Part 2: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19945

Part 3: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20076

Part 4: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20272

Part 5: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20492

Part 6: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20934

Part 7: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21372

Part 8: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21590

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick summary as requested:

Lourdes Torres (formerly Torres-Manteufel) is suing Doug Phillips (formerly head Honcho of Vision Forum Inc. and Ministries) for the sexual and spiritual abuse he inflicted on her over the course of many years. The suit has been expanded to include Don Hart, Scott Brown, and James Zes who were on the VFM Board of Directors.

Lourdes and Nolan have divorced. We wish them well in going their separate ways. Lourdes is in college. Go Lourdes!

Doug is apparently scampering around France with his daughters' Operation Meatball project at the moment. Have pity on the WWII veterans he is pestering.

The case appears to be going to trial soon, so we are on trial watch.

From Spiritual Sounding board, a March update from Gibbs III (Lourdes's attorney):

The Torres lawsuit is proceeding on two fronts, one in the United States District Court for the Western District of Texas, San Antonio division, Case 5:14-cv-00758-HLH and the underlying state lawsuit in Texas State Court, 438th Judicial District, Bexar County, Cause No: 2014-CI-05999.

The federal lawsuit was filed by Assurance Company of America (insurance carrier) to deny coverage to Vision Forum and Phillips. That case is set to end discovery in May and is set for trial in July of 2015.

The underlying Texas state lawsuit has been amended to include additional defendants Don Hart, Scott Brown, and James Zes (three men who were on the board of directors for Vision Forum Ministries). Discovery is ongoing in the state case and trial is set for March of 2016.

Lourdes Torres appreciates the prayers and concern of people from across the nation as she wants to rebuild her life and overcome the abuse she endured.

~David C. Gibbs III, March 28 2015

Link not broken because Julie Anne knows all about us and she will appreciate the hits: http://spiritualsoundingboard.com/tag/l ... manteufel/

This link goes to all the SSB articles on Lourdes.

Excellent summary, Palimpsest - nice work!

And, because it can't be said often enough: Doug Phillips is a tool.

Thank you, Palimpsest. Thanks to you, Marian, for all of your court updates as well.

And yes, Doug Phillips is - and forever will be - a TOOL.

Thank you, Palimpsest. Thanks to you, Marian, for all of your court updates as well.

And yes, Doug Phillips is - and forever will be - a TOOL.

Amen

Yes, thank you for keeping us up to date about this. I don't think I posted in the last thread, but I certainly appreciated the info while reading through it all.

Doug Phillips is definitely a TOOL! I was trying to channel HA's succinct style but how did I omit that?

I'm also delighted that Scott Brown and Don Hart have been named in this lawsuit. They are also TOOLS. I know less about James Zes, but he is probably a TOOL in training.

Doug Phillips is definitely a TOOL! I was trying to channel HA's succinct style but how did I omit that?

I'm also delighted that Scott Brown and Don Hart have been named in this lawsuit. They are also TOOLS. I know less about James Zes, but he is probably a TOOL in training.

So, a TIT?

So, a TIT?

Love it! :lol:

Love the TIT acronym, but I'd say that James Zes is a Tool in his own right -- homeboy was a patriarse for a long time, firmly attached to Dougie's buttocks since the early days of VF. Zes was a VFM board member, along with Scotty, and regularly appeared in Doug's Blog along with his family. You can still catch sight of James Zes and family in the Niednagel blog since they are all in Missouri & regularly get together.

Of course, if you asked Mr. Zes about Dougie now, his answer is probably, "Doug? Doug who?"

Man, you guys know a lot. It's awesome.

Love the TIT acronym, but I'd say that James Zes is a Tool in his own right -- homeboy was a patriarse for a long time, firmly attached to Dougie's buttocks since the early days of VF. Zes was a VFM board member, along with Scotty, and regularly appeared in Doug's Blog along with his family. You can still catch sight of James Zes and family in the Niednagel blog since they are all in Missouri & regularly get together.

Of course, if you asked Mr. Zes about Dougie now, his answer is probably, "Doug? Doug who?"

Al of those girls are still on the unmarried fundies list, right? They are bound to be mid to upper 30s now if I recall correctly.

Al of those girls are still on the unmarried fundies list, right? They are bound to be mid to upper 30s now if I recall correctly.

One of the three *may* be married, judging from photos on the Niednagel blog.

Do we have the text of the answer in the case, or just the complaint? Marian, can you post the docket again?

Here's the link to the case file:

apps.bexar.org/search/FullCase.html?id=CI000000000000002DC2014CI05999#history

ETA: There's been another update today:

6/12/2015 MOTION TO

SET HEARING ON ITS MOTION OBJECTING TO A

PPOINTMENT OF DISCOVERY MASTER OR FOR RE

CONSIDERATION OF JUNE 10, 2015 ORDER ON

PLAINTIFF'S MOTION TO COMPEL DISCOVERY

Things are heating up. Dougie, as an old friend of mine used to say, you need to learn to take your lumps!!

Do we have the text of the answer in the case, or just the complaint? Marian, can you post the docket again?

An answer won't give any information. All you do is provide general affirmatives defenses, i.e. statute of limitations, failure to mitigate, unclean hands, etc. Most answers will look exactly the same regardless whether its a personal injury, construction defect or business litigation case.

And more updates:

6/15/2015 NON-JURY

MOTION OBJECTING TO APPOINTMENT OF

DISCOVERY MASTER OR FOR RECONSIDERATION

OF JUNE 10, 2015 ORDER ON PLAINTIFF'S

MOTION TO COMPEL DISCOVERY

COURT: 288 TRIAL DATE & TIME: 6/25/2015 3:30PM

6/16/2015 AMENDED

AGREED MOTION TO DESIGNATE AS COMPLEX CASE

6/16/2015 SET ON MONITORING DOCKET

SET ON AMENDED MOTION TO DESIGNATE AS

A COMPLEX CASE

COURT: 150 TRIAL DATE & TIME: 6/25/2015 8:30AM

So what does this all mean?

Did they catch up with Doug, last time I heard he was being difficult.

They're trying to hash out what kind of evidence will be viewed and what questions Doug (and other side) has to answer. Complex case means exactly that, it's complex, with lots of witnesses or evidence and it requires the judge to manage it with more oversight than a regular case because it can get confusing. Trials coming up! isnt there anyone local who can go watch and report back? That would be awesome!

I so wish I was close enough to go to the trial. I bet it will be glorious.

The latest updates:

6/18/2015 AFFIDAVIT OF

LOURDES TORRES

6/19/2015 MOTION FOR SUMMARY JUDGMENT

EXHIBIT A - VFM'S IRS FORM 990S FOR 2011

, 2012, & 2013

6/19/2015 AFFIDAVIT OF

ANDREW TORRES

Does this indicate actual courtroom action, or just paper being submitted to the court before the trial begins?

Does this indicate actual courtroom action, or just paper being submitted to the court before the trial begins?

The attorneys are submitting stuff to the judge (summary judgment request, motion to allow or disallow certain evidence) and he is ruling on it. The sides are exchanging evidence to review. The affidavits are sworn statements but are taking place in a non courtroom location like the attorney's office. The parties will not all come together until the trial.

More case updates... these sound interesting (at least to me).

6/22/2015 REPLY TO

IN SUPPORT OF THEIR M/F SUMMARY JUDGMENT

AND OBJECTIONS TO AND MOTION TO STRIKE

EVIDENTIARY FILINGS OF DON HART, VISION

FORUM MINISTRIES DIRECTOR, SCOTT BROWN,

VISION FORUM MINSTIRES DIRECTOR, AND JAM

ES ZES

6/23/2015 INTENTION TO TAKE DEPOSITION OF

DON HART

6/23/2015 NOTICE

OF INTENT TO TAKE VIDEO RECORDED ORAL DE

POSITION OF ELIZABETH B PHILLIPS