IGNORED

Abby & Bethy have chicks!

Justme

Where's the rooster? I don't know much about chicken husbandry, but doesn't there have to be a rooster in order for eggs to hatch?

The first time Sarah posted a photo of their hen sitting on eggs I asked in the comments whether they had a rooster or if they'd gotten fertile eggs from somewhere. Steve deleted the comment. I guess that's a talk they haven't had yet with Sarah.

The first time Sarah posted a photo of their hen sitting on eggs I asked in the comments whether they had a rooster or if they'd gotten fertile eggs from somewhere. Steve deleted the comment. I guess that's a talk they haven't had yet with Sarah.

God causes hens to lay eggs.

'Nuff said. :hand:

The hens eggs aren't fertilised if there is no rooster. So, if you have several hens in your backyard laying eggs, and no rooster, they just won't ever amount to chickens, even if you allow your hens to go broody and sit on them.

You need a rooster to fertilise the eggs. They also will protect the hens, too.

We used to have little bantam hens who laid lovely little eggs for us. They were so chatty and sociable, and friendly, sit in your lap etc. Just like little fluffy outraged church ladies when something upset them though. They'd fluff out their feathers, and all cluck disapprovingly and trot about in a little outraged group.

All this talk about chickens talking reminds me of this bunch of "hens" tearing into Marian Paroo:

[bBvideo 560,340:2lnqwxkj]

[/bBvideo]

Many years ago when I was a young housewife I got a number of chicks to raise. One turned out to be a rooster and when he got old enough to start crowing and disturbing the neighbors at the crack of dawn, I wrung his neck. Then I plucked him and pulled out his feathers and cut him up and covered him in Barbecue sauce, but I couldn't bring myself to eat him so I gave him to my neighbors. They said he was very good.

Archived