IGNORED

Abby & Bethy have chicks!

Justme

Under the "boo hoo, nobody wants our conferences" post, is an adorable post about Abby and Bethy. They've got baby chicks! I love Abby's short bob.

At least Mel's family is "normal" and can help the girls escape when they are adults if they so wish.

Under the "boo hoo, nobody wants our conferences" post, is an adorable post about Abby and Bethy. They've got baby chicks! I love Abby's short bob.

At least Mel's family is "normal" and can help the girls escape when they are adults if they so wish.

I wonder how much time they actually get to spend with Mel's family. I know Mel has an annual "get out of Maxhell free" card cuz they spend Christmas Day with her parents.

I wonder how much time they actually get to spend with Mel's family. I know Mel has an annual "get out of Maxhell free" card cuz they spend Christmas Day with her parents.

Excluding Christmas Day, I doubt that Stevehovah allows them too much time around her more "worldly" family.

That is not true. Sarah mentioned recently Melanie was at a family wedding and they usually go to the family egg hunt at Easter. I don't think Nathan is a deeply under Steve's thumb as some of the others.

Nathan and Melanie are definitely the most 'normal" of the couples. They always look happy and relaxed and the kids look genuinely happy too. The three girls are allowed to run around and even have the chickens! I can't imagine Joshua being allowed to do that without a hazmat suit and goggles.

Nathan and Melanie are definitely the most 'normal" of the couples. They always look happy and relaxed and the kids look genuinely happy too. The three girls are allowed to run around and even have the chickens! I can't imagine Joshua being allowed to do that without a hazmat suit and goggles.

It doesn't seem like Joshua gets to play with his cousins very often. Even when all the Maxwells are gathered together, Joshua is usually with Steve while Nathan's children are scattered around, behaving as normally as possible given the environment.

I think Joshua is being trained as Steve's little buddy. He's a BOY after all.

That is not true. Sarah mentioned recently Melanie was at a family wedding and they usually go to the family egg hunt at Easter. I don't think Nathan is a deeply under Steve's thumb as some of the others.

Mel doesn't strike me as the kind of woman who would NOT visit her family because Stevehovah doesn't approve. It's just the impression I get.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong: In one of Steve's rants, didn't he express concern that the chickens could become an "idol" and interfere with the kids' Jesus obsession?

Where's the rooster? I don't know much about chicken husbandry, but doesn't there have to be a rooster in order for eggs to hatch?

Where's the rooster? I don't know much about chicken husbandry, but doesn't there have to be a rooster in order for eggs to hatch?

Steve is the only rooster in that henhouse.

The hens eggs aren't fertilised if there is no rooster. So, if you have several hens in your backyard laying eggs, and no rooster, they just won't ever amount to chickens, even if you allow your hens to go broody and sit on them.

You need a rooster to fertilise the eggs. They also will protect the hens, too.

We used to have little bantam hens who laid lovely little eggs for us. They were so chatty and sociable, and friendly, sit in your lap etc. Just like little fluffy outraged church ladies when something upset them though. They'd fluff out their feathers, and all cluck disapprovingly and trot about in a little outraged group.

We kept chooks but never roosters - too noisy. Each year we'd just ask a farmer to give us a couple if fertile eggs and we'd let our hens hatch them. (We kept the females and ate the males.) Maxwells may have done this instead if having a rooster.

We kept chooks but never roosters - too noisy. Each year we'd just ask a farmer to give us a couple if fertile eggs and we'd let our hens hatch them. (We kept the females and ate the males.) Maxwells may have done this instead if having a rooster.

I couldn't eat a chook I'd met and cared for. They all had names :cry:

(much to my then husbands disgust)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong: In one of Steve's rants, didn't he express concern that the chickens could become an "idol" and interfere with the kids' Jesus obsession?

I wouldn't put it past the great almighty Stevehovah.

Or it could be us here on FJ cracking jokes about Steve and his idols. :)

I expect at some point Stevehovah will declare the chickens to be idols and eat them.

Joshua was firstborn, ergo better?

Firstborn son of the firstborn son, the heir apparent, and all of that antiquated bunk.

Firstborn son of the firstborn son, the heir apparent, and all of that antiquated bunk.

Chris is the 2nd born son. Drew would be the firstborn son of the firstborn.

Who knows? Maybe Nathan has already tossed the little guy a Nerf football, thereby ruining him for life.

My bad.

Archived