IGNORED

Books By Ex-Fundies/Exposés on IBLP?

theinvisiblegirl

Thank you all for the suggestions! It seems like I'm going to have a lot to read.

An ex-ATI member wrote a piece on her experience with ATI and how the sexual abuse didn't exactly surprise her (http://www.salon.com/2015/05/28/i_could ... _shock_me/), and she's writing a book called "Growing Up Fundie." I'll be adding that to my to-read list as well.

ETA: Link to her website where she describes the book. brookearnold.com/growingupfundie/

Just saw this on the FJ FB and promptly shared. Whew. I look forward to the book.

Thanks for the recommendations! It's my new rabbit hole.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Unlikely Disciple (about an atheist doing a semester at Liberty University) was really really good.

The Unlikely Disciple (about an atheist doing a semester at Liberty University) was really really good.

Oh wow! I read the description on Goodreads. This one sounds really good.

Kiery King, who grew up fundie/Quiverfull and escaped and writes a really interesting blog, recommends a novel coming out in June:

Devoted by Jennifer Mathieu

kieryking.com/2015/05/book-review-devoted-by-jennifer-mathieu/

"If you’ve ever been curious about what my childhood felt like, this book is it. Read it. This is the book I wish I could give to everyone who wonders, or everyone who thinks maybe this lifestyle is totally awesome."

I'm putting it on my list!

The Texas Baptist Crucible: Tales from the Temple by James Spurgeon- http://www.amazon.com/Texas-Baptist-Cru ... s+spurgeon

This was a church that my family was in. I think this overlapped slightly with our time there. You used to be able to read it on WayBack but it isn't currently available. http://web.archive.org/web/200502210339 ... TFTT77.HTM . Someone more savy than myself might be able to figure out how to resurrect it.

It was crazy. We had no idea how crazy. I think my parents still don't know how crazy and how lucky we were to get out of there. There's something to be said for only making $7/hour to feed a family of 6.

Oh! and this is where IBLP Alert prisoners cadets sometimes do their flag drills or whatever.

The Texas Baptist Crucible: Tales from the Temple by James Spurgeon- http://www.amazon.com/Texas-Baptist-Cru ... s+spurgeon

This was a church that my family was in. I think this overlapped slightly with our time there. You used to be able to read it on WayBack but it isn't currently available. http://web.archive.org/web/200502210339 ... TFTT77.HTM . Someone more savy than myself might be able to figure out how to resurrect it.

It was crazy. We had no idea how crazy. I think my parents still don't know how crazy and how lucky we were to get out of there. There's something to be said for only making $7/hour to feed a family of 6.

Oh! and this is where IBLP Alert prisoners cadets sometimes do their flag drills or whatever.

Sympathies. That place (and pastor) has a reputation for extremism, even among fundamentalists.

Hope you are well on your way to recovery from your time there.

Sympathies. That place (and pastor) has a reputation for extremism, even among fundamentalists.

Hope you are well on your way to recovery from your time there.

Thank you. Most days I think so.

I checked that out of the library last year. I finished it the same day I started it. Worth the read.

Kiery King, who grew up fundie/Quiverfull and escaped and writes a really interesting blog, recommends a novel coming out in June:

Devoted by Jennifer Mathieu

kieryking.com/2015/05/book-review-devoted-by-jennifer-mathieu/

"If you’ve ever been curious about what my childhood felt like, this book is it. Read it. This is the book I wish I could give to everyone who wonders, or everyone who thinks maybe this lifestyle is totally awesome."

I'm putting it on my list!

I'd preordered this on Amazon... just got the email yesterday that it's available now. Hopefully going to read it this weekend! (also hoping it will help me better understand some people I knew who grew up within it)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm reading a fantastic book called 'Damaged Goods: New Perspectives on Christian PUrity' by Dianna Anderson. I'm interested in this area of research and she approaches the subject with a mixture of personal experience (ex fundielite) and it talks about Quiverfull too.

Id definitely recommend re: sex/modesty/gender etc

• 1 month later...
Anyone heard about this movie? Again, not IBLP, but homeschooled girl in what seems to be fictionalised documentary.

https://www.iffr.com/en/films/stop-the-pounding-heart/

I haven't seen it, but it streams on Netflix. I'll probably check it out.

I have a lot of blog reading to do from this thread. I've read Libby Anne's, Vyckie Garrison's (Though I can see through the search function she's not popular here) and Recovering Grace. I also read the book on Papa Pilgrim's crazy ass.

Not a book, but another Patheos blog - Permission to live by Melissa. Fascinating story. She and husband were married young as usual, he was a minister, several children later, he came out to her as transgendered, she recognized her own gender issues, and they're still together, navigating this new world.

I started reading this blog my freshman year of college when she was just starting to think about not spanking their children and she talked to her spouse about maybe helping out more around the house. She was very depressed because the housework always snuck up on her and she felt like a failure. She started thinking critically about modest dress for her young girls and what that meant for the men looking at her young girls if they could be swayed by the bare legs of a three year old.

Then I came back a few years later and they had another (or maybe two more) children and her spouse came out as trans and I was shocked!

This read is SO amazing. They loved and supported each other despite being indoctrinated about their specific gender roles. I remember it being very honest, but I must confess I haven't peeped this blog in a few years. It made me think and rethink everything I knew about gender, Christianity, faith, and even marriage/relationships and motherhood.

I ran across Patheos awhile ago and it's great for the reasons Sophie said. It is heartening to see people come out the other side of this, and find good matches and this one is crazy "coincidental" (I use the quotes purposefully b/c maybe there was a sixth-sense of sorts) in the context of courting and Gothardism.

In the last 48 hours I've gone deep reading Heresy in the Heartland's blog. It's a little more manageable in scope and SUPER interesting because she and her now husband met while working at ATI offices. They both spent time at three different offices over the course of a couple of years, overlapping at times. She describes her experiences with the organization and even Gothard.

I haven't seen it, but it streams on Netflix. I'll probably check it out.

I have a lot of blog reading to do from this thread. I've read Libby Anne's, Vyckie Garrison's (Though I can see through the search function she's not popular here) and Recovering Grace. I also read the book on Papa Pilgrim's crazy ass.

If you are interested in more about Papa Pilgrim, I recently read this book http://www.amazon.com/Heard-Brother-Call-Name-psychological/dp/1491275162/

It's written by the wife of Papa Pilgrim's twin brother, and is focused on the havoc Pilgrim wreaked in their life. I found it pretty compelling.

I'm going to have to find the book on Papa Pilgrim. I was recently interested in Couty Alexander and Josh Beasley because of the shooting deaths of their wives and it looks like per his Wikipedia page, Papa Pilgrim pulled something similar with his first wife.

Just saw this on the FJ FB and promptly shared. Whew. I look forward to the book.

Thanks for the recommendations! It's my new rabbit hole.

I wonder what would happen if I sent that article to my own parents. I imagine they would be critical, and possibly dismissive. I'm not sure that I want to find out.

I'm going to have to find the book on Papa Pilgrim. I was recently interested in Couty Alexander and Josh Beasley because of the shooting deaths of their wives and it looks like per his Wikipedia page, Papa Pilgrim pulled something similar with his first wife.

The first/primary book on Papa Pilgrim is http://www.amazon.com/Pilgrims-Wilderness-Madness-Alaska-Frontier/dp/0307587835

But IIRC the death of his first wife is barely touched on in that book, and only a bit more in the second book I mentioned upthread. I'm not aware of anyplace it's delved into in detail, and am interested if anyone knows of a place where it is.

As you probably know but other readers of the thread may not, his first wife was Kathleen Connally, daughter of then-Texas Governor John Connally. She was "found dead" from a gunshot, with a gun nearby that didn't have her fingerprints on it, at age 16, recently married and pregnant. Papa Pilgrim, known then as Bobby Hale, was "cleared" of wrongdoing, but the scene doesn't make sense, and Hale's father was a relative bigwig in the FBI which seems to leave lots of room open for coverup shenanigans.

Note: I have always been captivated by Alaska but otherwise have no idea why the Pilgrim family fascinates me so.

Re. Papa Pilgrim.

Thanks for the recommendation of the Patsy Doris Hale book, church_of_dog. I thought the Kissia book was excellent too and would highly recommend it.

• 2 months later...

I don't believe they are ATI but Cynthtia Jeub has a blog.  At one point earlier this year she outed her parents as abusers.  Also as apparently drinkers.  And told of how she and another sister were treated when they were more or less kicked out of the house.

http://cynthiajeub.com/

(Chris Jeub gets bonus points here for letting his kids get into debate and then having them turn on him)

• 1 month later...
On 6/19/2015 at 5:28 PM, Selah said:

I'm reading a fantastic book called 'Damaged Goods: New Perspectives on Christian PUrity' by Dianna Anderson. I'm interested in this area of research and she approaches the subject with a mixture of personal experience (ex fundielite) and it talks about Quiverfull too.

Id definitely recommend re: sex/modesty/gender etc

I just finished reading that book today. I thought it was really interesting. It hit on a lot of different aspects of the purity culture and how it can be damaging to young women and young men. I would definitely recommend reading this book! 

• 6 months later...

I stumbled across this old thread while looking for book recommendations and had to share what had to be a weird coincidence. 

I looked though the Amazon reviews for the Papa Pilgrim book and on of them is from a "Sara Maxwell" that knew the family. Her other Amazon reviews were about books that were anti-liberal and mascara.

I know its 96% not really "our" Sarah Maxwell, but I thought maybe someone else would get a kick out of this. 

Archived