IGNORED

Another Maxwell fast

urban explorer

I wonder if by age 40, Anna & Mary will be allowed to have regular beds. I can't imagine climbing up in a bunk bed every night.

That is so sad. In the same childhood bedroom and bed after decades, just with arthritis and joint pain. :shock:

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A member on one of the homeschool Facebook groups I belong to asked for good homeschool book recommendations. Another member just replied with this:

HOMESCHOOLING WITH A MEEK AND QUIET SPIRIT by Teri Maxwell

:(

A member on one of the homeschool Facebook groups I belong to asked for good homeschool book recommendations. Another member just replied with this:

HOMESCHOOLING WITH A MEEK AND QUIET SPIRIT by Teri Maxwell

:(

Ugh!

Based on the quality of writing we've seen from her kids, I think I'd pass on any HS book written by TM.

How long did the non-reversal kids go to school? I'm curious as to how much exposure the older Maxwell kids had to the world. Like, if Nathan made it all the way to fifth grade and went to birthday parties, had non-family friends, learned about other cultures and religions, it must have been difficult to adjust to life on the other side of the rabbit hole.

IIRC, Teri started homeschooling when Nathan was in 3rd grade. I don't think Sarah ever went to school.

Short answer: They say the marrieds are independent, but come on. They all live within, what, a half-mile radius of Stevehovah? Less? How can anyone who lives that close be independent? :snooty:

Nathan and Melanie and their kids do have contact with Melanie's family, who seem pretty normal. Someone from FJ found a photo of them attending a party for Melanie's sister when she graduated from nursing school. There was also a photo of Abby and Bethany participating in an Easter egg hunt at Melanie's parents' house. These kids are getting at least a little exposure to the world outside of Maxhell, but I don't know how much. Probably not enough.

They come from fully vetted families, dip-dyed in the same beige kool-aid as the Maxwells, esp. Anna.

ETA i think Elissa might really suffer if her kids can't do 4-H or have outside friends like she did, just a few years ago.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Wait....Anna and Mary sleep in a bunk bed? Seriously?

Yes, of course. Steve's children are still children after all. Even when they are in their twenties.

Yes, of course. Steve's children are still children after all. Even when they are in their twenties.

They even buckle in grinning like little kids for the tiniest blizzard treats after doing Saturday chores.

blog.titus2.com/2014/10/29/a-garage-transformation/

post-10046-14452000250023_thumb.jpg

Sorry, I don't come from a particularly religious background, and I just do NOT understand this total fasting thing of Steve's.

I shared an office once with someone who gave up chocolate every year for Lent, and I did it too to support her. That kind of thing I can wrap my head around.

When I was teaching I had numerous Muslim students who took the dawn-to-dusk fasting thing during the Ramadan religious weeks quite seriously, and that too I more-or-less understood ('tho did not agree with). Occasionally a student who refused to even drink water during the day would pass out. It was almost a badge of honor.

But evening of Day 1 until breakfast of Day 3 fasting unless health issues? What is THAT? Is there some bona fide religious reason behind this type of fast that I'm not aware of? Honest question.

:oops: :ew:

IIRC, Teri started homeschooling when Nathan was in 3rd grade. I don't think Sarah ever went to school.

If she did it was just Preschool/Kindergarten.

Cudos to Jennifer for her comment! But I think it may have gotten misinterpreted, lol. About young men and women. But, clarifying that they don't advocate fasting for children.

BTW, I have done the water-only fast for 24 hours before. It can be hard, but I managed, just shaky and weak at times. And after I felt better. I wouldn't do it on a day that I have heavy work to do, though, but now that I have an office job, it's somewhat easier. There are physical AND spiritual benefits when it's done in balance. But that's different for everyone.

I think Steve can't fast by himself because when the rest of them sit down to a meal where he's not joining them, they feel too guilty eating when he isn't. JMHO.

Cudos to Jennifer for her comment! But I think it may have gotten misinterpreted, lol. About young men and women. But, clarifying that they don't advocate fasting for children.

BTW, I have done the water-only fast for 24 hours before. It can be hard, but I managed, just shaky and weak at times. And after I felt better. I wouldn't do it on a day that I have heavy work to do, though, but now that I have an office job, it's somewhat easier. There are physical AND spiritual benefits when it's done in balance. But that's different for everyone.

I think Steve can't fast by himself because when the rest of them sit down to a meal where he's not joining them, they feel too guilty eating when he isn't. JMHO.

Doesn't it kind of reset metabolism or something? Not sure on that one, but that could be a benefit.

I am sure that one reason ascetics do it is for the weak and broken feeling. Desperation creates more dependence on God. Nothing in their system produces sharper focus.

I don't think he would expect the grand kids to be part of the fast.

I think the grandkids would want to be part of the fast so they could feel more grown up. I don't think the adults will need to force them into it.

Of course, the parents should not allow them to participate. Maybe fast from having desert, but not the entire meal!

I need to plan this anti-fast. There's a "gourmet" Italian market across from my apartment that sells the most divine cakes and cheesecakes. BY. THE. SLICE. If you're familiar with Winniprg I'm talking about La Grotta Market lol.

In honour of the anti-fast I feel it is my duty to pick up several on Saturday morning to enjoy on Sunday. Plus something salty and crunchy. :)

Sorry mi not familiar with Winnipeg I live in Alberta, but your anti fast sounds amazing. Love Italian food :D

I will be competing in a triathlon on Sunday. I will enjoy every sip of my post race beer, and every bite of whatever food I choose. (Burger? Pizza? Halibut wrap? Burrito bowl? No idea yet. I have a few days to decide.)

Good luck Maggie Mae, careful you don't make running an idol :wink-kitty:

In true opposition to The Maxwell Way of Life, I have encouraged each of my children to make a "summer fun" list of things they'd like to do this summer. Simple things like water balloon wars and watching the fireworks on the 4th of July. They each had to come up with 20 things, and so far we've done 1 thing off of each of their lists.

First we bought Rocket Pops (red, white, and blue ice pops), which they ate on the trampoline. Then we celebrated the unofficial start of summer with breakfast at McDonald's. It's 86 degrees here...I'm calling it summer :P

Both things are ridiculously simple, but I am counting on these memories carrying them through their adult years when they think of their Dad and I. I want them to know that their happiness and the joy they find in small things is and always will be a priority to us. It would crush me if they were mindless robots like the Maxwell adults (who are being treated as children).

Hey Koala, that sounds so fun defiantly something your kids will remember. Sad that the Maxwells won't experience something like this. :)

Sorry, I don't come from a particularly religious background, and I just do NOT understand this total fasting thing of Steve's.

I shared an office once with someone who gave up chocolate every year for Lent, and I did it too to support her. That kind of thing I can wrap my head around.

When I was teaching I had numerous Muslim students who took the dawn-to-dusk fasting thing during the Ramadan religious weeks quite seriously, and that too I more-or-less understood ('tho did not agree with). Occasionally a student who refused to even drink water during the day would pass out. It was almost a badge of honor.

But evening of Day 1 until breakfast of Day 3 fasting unless health issues? What is THAT? Is there some bona fide religious reason behind this type of fast that I'm not aware of? Honest question.

Except for its goofy stance on ordaining women the conservative Lutheran church is pretty level headed as churches go. Here's a piece on fasting from them.

http://www.lcms.org/Document.fdoc?src=lcm&id=490

I'm working on an iPhone and not able to really discuss right now, but hopefully I'll find a working laptop later.

I love honest questions, as I am FULL of them, too!!

I do remember Sarah posting that Steve said if medical or something else prevents them from food fasting, they can fast something from there life.

Love the control Steve how thoughtful. So in addition to the anti fast of food I will be watching Xena Warrior Princess on the "the Beast", defiantly not Steve approved, :lol:

They even buckle in grinning like little kids for the tiniest blizzard treats after doing Saturday chores.

blog.titus2.com/2014/10/29/a-garage-transformation/

That is just so disturbing. Look at the happy little adult babies strapped into the car for ice cream. It would be cute if they were under the age of 10. The only good things about this photo is that they are happy and that Steve doesn't put them in car seats. They are just so childlike, its kinda creepy. Every thing about them, the way they act, speak and their mannerisms, are like small children, yet they are in adult bodies.

Good luck Maggie Mae, careful you don't make running an idol :wink-kitty:

Thanks! I am excited (like I always am), but also feel a little nervous. I had some setbacks during training and I'm more worried about it more than I should be right now. I also really am torn on what I want my post race meal to be ;-)

I'm also very unlikely to make running an idol. Much more likely to worship my bike (It's probably worth as much as the golden calf (JK)). Did Steve give up running because he liked it too much?

Monday (the actual fast day) I will probably eat relatively normal, and recover so that I can continue training for my "real" events later this summer.

Doesn't it kind of reset metabolism or something? Not sure on that one, but that could be a benefit.

I am sure that one reason ascetics do it is for the weak and broken feeling. Desperation creates more dependence on God. Nothing in their system produces sharper focus.

It does screw with your metabolism-- in a bad way. Too little food (as well as too much exercise) slows your metabolism because your body tries to make up for those missed calories. This can be a good thing if you have very little to eat all the time, for example if you are living in a time of famine, however once you go back to eating previous levels you will then gain weight because your new, slower metabolism requires fewer calories.

This is one of the reasons why drastically restricting calories in kids is a bad idea. Long range plans for obese children should be moderate calorie intake paired with increased physical activity.

On the other hand, scientists do say that you can increase longevity by drastically cutting calories. You should aim for being 10% underweight. A slower metabolism (as long as you don't go back to eating more) can prolong your life. Most modern diets try to increase your metabolism. Lifting weights, eating smaller more frequent meals are both ways to increase metabolism.

I used to fast in my twenties, it was a popular way to control weight in the 70's. The longest fast I was on was 5 days and at the end I went over to a friends house and drank whiskey for the first time in my life. I got so drunk I had a blackout. Thankfully my one and only. It scared me so much I never again drank past the point of being a bit tipsy.

Archived