IGNORED

Grandparent time at the Maxwells

SPHASH

New post up. Last Tuesday Nate and Mel's kids came over for dinner, chalk drawing on the sidewalk, and bible time. John was missing from the pics cuz he was on what some might call a mission trip. Anna wrote the post, not Sarah this time. I wonder what Nate and Mel do while the kids are gone. No Chris and NR Anna kids. I think Steve thinks Mel's wordly relatives are a bad influence on the kids, so hence Grandparent night.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Abby looks so grown up all of a sudden. Cute haircut!

Anna's writing is as awkward as Sarah's.

"Grandpa and Grandma have enjoyed instituting an evening each month for the grandchildren from a particular family to join us for dinner, playtime, and Bible time"

Of course, once someone leaves the Maxwell compound, they are not really "Family" anymore... I wonder why they only have the kids from one "family" at a time over. On one hand, it's nice that the kids seem to have more of a 1-1 time with Grandma and Grandpa, but there's enough adults in the home - including the adult daughters/aunts and son/uncle - to supervise and have a bigger (dare I say it?) party.

I noticed this sentence when I went onto the Maxwell's webpage. It's an advertisement for Making Great Conversationalists.

Transforming encouragement and challenge for optimizing your family's effectiveness in life!

Yeah...I'm gonna bet that poor Sarah wrote that. :?

I think Steve thinks Mel's wordly relatives are a bad influence on the kids, so hence Grandparent night.

Agree!! He wants to be the only grandparent.

I wonder if they even play with them, or read to them, or do anything other than lecture them. Hug them? Play tag?

I wonder if they even play with them, or read to them, or do anything other than lecture them. Hug them? Play tag?

From what I can the night consists of :

1) A meal

2) 1 pre-chosen activity

3) Bible time

Spontaneity, thy name is not Maxwell.

They do push them on the swings.

They pre planned the "activity" couldn't even ask the girls what they wanted to do. Grandma and Grandpa got to choose...

I wonder why they only have the kids from one "family" at a time over. On one hand, it's nice that the kids seem to have more of a 1-1 time with Grandma and Grandpa, but there's enough adults in the home - including the adult daughters/aunts and son/uncle - to supervise and have a bigger (dare I say it?) party.

My guess is that's exactly why they don't have all the kids at once, it would turn into a "party" with the kids laughing and squealing and running around and having the forbidden "fun." I know when my kids and their cousins are together it may seem like chaos but they are having the time of their lives! Can't have that in Maxhell. No childish fun. You will eat neatly, you will participate in this craft we have planned, and you will silently sit and listen during Bible time. Then you will go home and think about where you will go when you die.

Abby looks so adorable and trendy with that haircut, almost like a non Maxwellian!

I am surprised that they only do this once a month. None of these people have real jobs and they live on the same street. Why not once a week? You'd think the grandparents would love to see the grandkids as often as possible and vice versa.

Abby looks so adorable and trendy with that haircut, almost like a non Maxwellian!

I just saw the grandparent time post and when I saw Abby I was like "OMG! A Maxwell girl got a HAIRCUT? She has a BOB??" That's almost boy-length in fundie circles. She's not even wearing a giant headflower...

I just saw the grandparent time post and when I saw Abby I was like "OMG! A Maxwell girl got a HAIRCUT? She has a BOB??" That's almost boy-length in fundie circles. She's not even wearing a giant headflower...

She also isn't wearing a long denim skirt like she did at the zoo.

I am surprised that they only do this once a month. None of these people have real jobs and they live on the same street. Why not once a week? You'd think the grandparents would love to see the grandkids as often as possible and vice versa.

I thought the same thing. It also seems like only one set of grandchildren per month. Or maybe that's just Anna's poor writing.

So Grandma and Grandpa (yeah, Steve, I put Grandma first!) have "special time" with the grandkids? I'm hoping Melanie and Nathan (yeah, Steve, I put Melanie first!) have their own "special time" (but with protection) while the kids are gone.

In fairness, yeah, it looks like Grandma and Grandpa (see Steve, I did it again!) do get down on the ground and play with the grands. They're a-holes, but not quite that big a-holes.

I noticed this sentence when I went onto the Maxwell's webpage. It's an advertisement for Making Great Conversationalists.

Yeah...I'm gonna bet that poor Sarah wrote that. :?

For some reason, I now want to try and use "transforming encouragement" in a spoken sentence today.

For some reason, I now want to try and use "transforming encouragement" in a spoken sentence today.

When did Steve leave corporate America? Because that sounds like what might have come out of their "brainstorming session" if he was leading them in creating a Big Corporate Style Mission Statement for their book. It would also most likely give you a "BINGO" in "Buzzword Bingo."

Mary's skirt is only mid calf. It's anarchy over there.

They've worn mid-calf skirts before. I think they have an exercise skirt, and an ugly-ass jean one that's in gathered layers. I know because it always looks like a huge wrinkled mess to me, and every time I see it, I have the urge to reach through the screen and burn it. I think one of the girls wore it to the zoo recently.

When did Steve leave corporate America? Because that sounds like what might have come out of their "brainstorming session" if he was leading them in creating a Big Corporate Style Mission Statement for their book. It would also most likely give you a "BINGO" in "Buzzword Bingo."

Sometime in the mid-90s, I think.

That sentence makes my brain hurt.

They've worn mid-calf skirts before. I think they have an exercise skirt, and an ugly-ass jean one that's in gathered layers. I know because it always looks like a huge wrinkled mess to me, and every time I see it, I have the urge to reach through the screen and burn it. I think one of the girls wore it to the zoo recently.

Oh yeah, Anna's favorite!

Ugh, Christina now in the uber bib like Christopher's kids.

They also took the word instituting out of the first sentence.

Man, they really follow us don't they?

Bethany, btw, is 4.

Ugh, Christina now in the uber bib like Christopher's kids.

They also took the word instituting out of the first sentence.

Man, they really follow us don't they?

Bethany, btw, is 4.

The Maxwells make me shake my head when they do stuff like this. Seriously, it's way easier to just throw the damn shirt in the wash if it gets messy. Putting on that straight jacket has got to take more than a little time, and then you have to take it off (without getting the mess on the kid) AND wash it when the kid is done eating.

It's dinner time and the kids are going to bed when they get home, anyway. It's not like they'll be wearing the ketchup-stained shirt all day.

Sometime in the mid-90s, I think.

That sentence makes my brain hurt.

The 90s were the height of The Mission Statement. Nothing was a problem it was a Challenge. We were transforming everything in sight. The mission was supposed to be client oriented. There are still Mission Statement Generators as jokes online and of course, the Daddy of them all, Steven Covey's Mission Statement Builder franklincovey.com/msb/

This was all about the time Steve was still in the business world.

Archived