IGNORED

Steve Maxwell & Jim Boob Duggar

Justme

Maxhell could turn into a miniature Jonestown.

:pink-shock: Oh my goodness! I never thought of the Steve that way, but now that you mention it...he has always frightened me. :shock:

What's wrong with Marcus Aurelius?

Probably the fact that he was an ebil heathen. And there were severe real persecutions of Christians under his reign.

What's wrong with Marcus Aurelius?

This is the quote I had as a signature in my second email to Steve (he always throws a bible quote at you so I figured turnabout is fair play). I saw it in a post somewhere attributed to Marcus Aurelius but this may or may not be true. The interwebz are abuzz with arguments on either side. In any event, it's a good one but you can see why Steve would get pissy. Because basically, if true, his entire philosophy of life would be for naught.

"Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but...will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."

I am sorry to have to agree with you there. Steve really and truly scares me. He has been shaping up as a potential family annihilator as his crazy has been intensifying the last decade. That family is a tragedy in waiting. :(

I have to agree as well. Steve's been going deeper down that rabbithole over the years. I suspect that ever since Steve was called "home" from the corporate world plus the more time he's spent isolating himself and his family, both of these have probably had a corrosive effect on him. Based on reports from FJ'ers who have gone to his conferences, he strikes me as very, very intense. That intensity combined with extreme control and isolation, all based on fear of the terrible, terrible world lying just beyond the family compound, over the long term simply cannot be healthy for anyone's pysche. I have recently watched a family member, who has very similar ideas to Steve and who lived in his own echo chamber just like Steve experience a complete psychotic break. No one was hurt but it took family members to intervene. Which is something that I would not expect to happen in Steve's case, his family wouldn't know to do such a thing. So it's entirely possible for someone like Steve to completely lose it, be convinced he's got to save his family from certain hell and take some drastic action for himself and his family.

Archived