IGNORED

Sarah Maxwell

Justme

I think Anna and Mary will both marry at some point but it will be more of a business arrangement, similar to the way royal women were married off in the past to secure political alliances. It just makes sense for the Maxwell brand. As to whether they'll be happy? I think they'll experience a lot of disappointment, (which they'll no doubt blame themselves for) mainly because no man, no matter how pious, will ever measure up to Daddy.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And a side-note -- it's been 6 days since they've posted anything new. There must be big news coming...

And a side-note -- it's been 6 days since they've posted anything new. There must be big news coming...

Maybe Elissa is pregnant.

Maybe Elissa is pregnant.

I have a feeling they won't announce that until they post a picture of her, Joe, and the baby in her arms.... :roll:

Someone upthread mentioned the similarities between Sarah's childhood and that of the Moody kids, what with Mom spending unusual amounts of alone-time in her bedroom. I see parallels between Steve and Dad Moody, too: Each of them is a condescending douchebag. Dad consistently indulges in smug putdowns of adults outside his own golden family, and Poor Sarah consistently interprets this behavior as friendliness and good humor. Think of poor Mr. Delorme of the exploding brats (whom Stevehovah should be respecting as an elder) and Howard the critter-catcher.

It's horribly obvious that Sarah reveres Daddy Maxwell as The Perfect Man. I mean, my sisters and I loved and respected our own father, but could fill a book with anecdotes about his little quirks and flaws.

This is the major problem on the new patriarchy movement; they raise their children with such iron grips it is difficult (and sometimes impossible) to let go. Look at how JB is still keeps his married kids under his thumb. Look at how even the Maxwell males after marriage are still basically under Steve's rule.

The rest of us know that you have to allow your children small freedoms gradually when they are young: what to wear, what to read, what movie to watch, in order for them to grow. By the time our teenagers are old enough to move out we are confident in their abilities to make wise choices for themselves. Fundies are too scared that their kids are going to make the wrong choice so they give them no choices. Imagine not being able to choose what instrument you want to learn how to play-- or if at all? Imagine given no choice of books to read (that would have driven me crazy as a child.) Imagine not ever being allowed to chose your own food-- it is no wonder Sarah can't move out-- she has never been allowed to make her own decisions. Those poor Maxwell children are stunted individuals and the sooner Stevehovah kicks the bucket, the better. It is the only way they might have a tiny chance at a more normal life.

I have to agree that Sarah Anna & Mary consider Steve as the perfect man. They can't imagine marrying anyone unless they just like their father.

I have a friend who married someone completely unlike her father. Her father & husband r only now after being together for 10 years starting to get along.

Someone upthread mentioned the similarities between Sarah's childhood and that of the Moody kids, what with Mom spending unusual amounts of alone-time in her bedroom. I see parallels between Steve and Dad Moody, too: Each of them is a condescending douchebag. Dad consistently indulges in smug putdowns of adults outside his own golden family, and Poor Sarah consistently interprets this behavior as friendliness and good humor. Think of poor Mr. Delorme of the exploding brats (whom Stevehovah should be respecting as an elder) and Howard the critter-catcher.

It's horribly obvious that Sarah reveres Daddy Maxwell as The Perfect Man. I mean, my sisters and I loved and respected our own father, but could fill a book with anecdotes about his little quirks and flaws.

I think one could probably earn a PhD dissection how the Moody books relate to life in Maxhell. No doubt Mr. Moody is modeled after Steve, it is the only male figure Sarah knows.

Also in the exerpt of the chapter with the exploding brats, leading up to that was eldest Moody boy loosing track of time and going into a state of panic as he nearly missed the ETD to Mr Delorme's house. Probably a nice little window into how "scheduling" was beat into the kids.

That's what I was thinking. Either that or she's so infantilized or deep in their cult that the thought of "growing up" and moving two block from her parents of caring for a home and husband is anxiety inducing or out of her comfpet zone? Maybe the transition from SAHD to SAHW would be too much for her at this point? I have no idea, just throwing thoughts to the wind

I think she'll start forcing herself into denial someday. She was raised to believe God has spouses picked out even before birth, but it's like he forgot her and her siblings. Why is he so angry at them all? Unless...it was all wrong!

I suspect that Steveovah has required such complete deference to himself that perhaps Sarah, and her sisters as well, will have no ability to submit themselves to any other man. If any of them should get married, the husband(s) involved should expect to play second fiddle to daddy. Which of course is not going to work for any fundie guy who would expect to assume the headship of his home and family.

As stated upthread it's a lot easier to marry off the sons who will stay near the compound and the wives move to be with them. Quite another issues to let a daughter go to live away from the compound with her husband.

Frankly I see it highly unlikely that any of the daughters will get married because of the above.

Steveovah has failed as a parent with both his sons and daughters. His marriageable age daughters are stuck at home and his married sons are still reliant on him as far as income. He sees keeping them all close as a parent success. No! Success as a parent means your kids can forge lives independent of you.

I think Mary will marry, probably within the next year or two. Her looks and the spark she shows (comparative to her sisters) will scare Steve into finding her a suitable husband before a less suitable husband finds her. She, unlike her sisters, is probably bait enough for a fundie boy to move close to the Maxwell compound and join the family business - any man old enough for Sarah would be too established in his own life and I just don't see most fundie men in their twenties seeing Anna as a tempting enough prize to sell their souls and future to Steve for. A sheltered 19/20 year old from a Maxwell following family though, I could see joining Maxhell for Mary.

And it would kill the last little bit of light in Sarah's eyes.......

I think Mary will marry, probably within the next year or two. Her looks and the spark she shows (comparative to her sisters) will scare Steve into finding her a suitable husband before a less suitable husband finds her. She, unlike her sisters, is probably bait enough for a fundie boy to move close to the Maxwell compound and join the family business - any man old enough for Sarah would be too established in his own life and I just don't see most fundie men in their twenties seeing Anna as a tempting enough prize to sell their souls and future to Steve for. A sheltered 19/20 year old from a Maxwell following family though, I could see joining Maxhell for Mary.

And it would kill the last little bit of light in Sarah's eyes.......

I agree. Recently, it seems to me Steve has been "advertising" Mary a little bit on the blog. Extolling her virtues in posts, Mary cuts hair, Mary graduates (x2 posts), Mary bakes cookies with Joshua. Those were all fairly close together, and really made me think he may be casting a net out for possible husbands.

And yes, Sarah's eyes would indeed lose their last glimmer of hope, spirit, character, whatever it is that is becoming harder and harder to see.

If you go back through the blog, Steve did the exact same thing with Anna when she graduated from homeschool. There were a series of posts of Anna giving recipe advice, Anna doing some eared robe organizing for a trip, Anna preparing healthy snacks, etc. Couple of shots of Anna spending time with Abigail and Bethany (look! She'll make a great mother!). So it looks to me that Steve advertises them as potential help meets the minute after they graduate, and then expects the offers to start rolling in.

Anna also did a guest post on the blog shortly after she graduated explaining why she did not want to go to college and how incredibly blessed she was to help out at home until Mr. Godly arrived. No doubt something along the same lines is coming soon from Mary.

Yeah, Steve did the same with Anna and nothing happened.

And in many ways, he did the same with Sarah - her homemaking skills and helpmeet potential were definitely more on display in the past than they are now.

I think Steve thinks he wants them to marry, but if a guy comes around he internally freaks out about the idea of losing control over his daughters, so he runs them off. I really think John Marie was coming around for one of the girls (probably Anna), but Steve just could not handle the idea of one leaving.

Yeah, Steve did the same with Anna and nothing happened.

And in many ways, he did the same with Sarah - her homemaking skills and helpmeet potential were definitely more on display in the past than they are now.

I think Steve thinks he wants them to marry, but if a guy comes around he internally freaks out about the idea of losing control over his daughters, so he runs them off. I really think John Marie was coming around for one of the girls (probably Anna), but Steve just could not handle the idea of one leaving.

In addition to Steve not being able to handle them leaving, I think the same is true for the daughters. I don't think they could handle leaving the family either.

I agree with this. I saw the same happen in my own Maxwellian family. Parents who say they would like to see their kids marry but the idea of it is one thing, the reality is another. I can see Sarah and her sisters being encouraged to aspire to role of wife and mother when this is a far off future type of thing and parents don't have to deal with it but when they hit marriageable age and / or suitors come courting, the parents freak out over losing control and giving their daughter over to another man.

I also think that John Marie was around for one of the daughters, who knows who many hoops he tried to jump over only to get run off or perhaps finally gave up.

In addition to Steve not being able to handle them leaving, I think the same is true for the daughters. I don't think they could handle leaving the family either.

At this point the Stockholm Syndrome is so entrenched that yeah, I don't think any of them could handle leaving. Particularly Sarah, she has been in too long and even Anna, who has watched whatever may have transpired with any suitors, is probably sold on the idea of Daddy always protects, knows best, etc. Also the whole deference to Daddy thing. That's really damaging, I know from watching my sisters do the same and it's still going on.

I think the Moody family is a cross between Sarah's own experiences and life, and also the family that she will never have. She will never have real kids, but she can create a family in her mind and think about that, and she can turn it into a Godly children's book, so it isn't just sinful wishing she had something better. She chooses the parent personalities to match her own, because she wants to make her own perfect idealistic version of a family, and what better parents than her own? She knows nothing about how other families work, so presumes that the only way to be a good parent who cares about their kids is to act like her parents did. And as much as her childhood sucked, she has been brainwashed to look back on it and think it was awesome, and be terrified of all the stuff she was allowed to do before Steve went crazy. The kids are the kids she always wanted, but they are also her and her siblings as children too, or maybe even now, as Sarah has not yet moved past childhood, even now her body has grown up into an adult. She can write about her childhood, all of it, and express that in some way. Like when I was a kid, I used to always write little stories, the names were always changed, but the people were based on real people, with real situations, kinda like how kids can express their feelings and work through their experiences through play, as I grew up, I expressed my feelings and life experiences through writing stories.

I would love to show a psychologist the Maxwell family blog and the Moody books.

Also no way will any of these girls marry. If a boy marries, then that makes more minions for Steve. He may say that a wife belongs to her husband, but Elissa, Anna and Melanie belong to Steve because the sons still belong to him. The kids belong to him too. But the girls? If they marry they belong to someone else, and Steve doesn't want to lose control of them. Too much to even give one of his girls to a pathetic boy child who will do whatever he says, like Ben.

Remember, this is the family who nearly had a nervous breakdown when Nat married and moved across the street. :roll:

As we've discussed before, generally by the time a person starts to consider marriage and perhaps move away, they've started to separate from their family, slowly and over a period of time as they establish themselves in the world as an adult. This NEVER happens in the Maxwell family.

It reminds me so much of my own family. We kids were all far apart in age. When my brother was 16 and working during the summer and no longer accompanying us on family trips, I was 11 and would worry about him. By the time he moved out at 19, it was like, "See ya". The normal adjustment had been made and we had all adapted. The Maxwell family unit, which is of prime importance to those childults because they have no one else in their lives, has never had to adjust to people growing older, because at Maxwell House, growing older changes nothing.

The daughters-especially Sarah - show the classic signs of Stockholm syndrome. Not that How Stuff Works is a prime info source it gives a decent outline of what it is, and how eerily close this is to the Maxwell daughter's lives under Steve.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/mental- ... drome1.htm

It's like Hotel California, you can check out anytime but you can't ever leave!

On a dark Midwest highway, cool wind in my hair

Warm smell of gingerbread, rising up through the air

Up ahead in the distance, I saw a shimmering light

My head grew heavy and my sight grew dim

I had to stop for the night

There they stood in the doorway;

Steve and the family Maxwell

And I was thinking to myself,

"This could be Heaven or this could be Maxhell"

Then Sarah lit up a candle and she showed me the way

There were voices down the corridor,

I thought I heard them say...

Welcome to the Hotel Maxwell

Such a lovely place (Such a lovely place)

Such a lovely face

Plenty of room at the Hotel Maxhell

Any time of year (Any time of year)

You can find it here

Her mind is Chore Pack twisted, she got the Flowered headband

She got a lot of elderly people that she calls friends

How she takes pictures in the backyard, sweet summer sweat.

Some photograph to remember, some photograph to forget

So I called up Nathan

"Please bring me my wine"

He said, "We haven't had that spirit here since nineteen seventy nine"

And still those voices are calling from far away,

Wake you up in the middle of the night

Just to hear them say...

Welcome to the Hotel Maxhell

Such a lovely place (Such a lovely place)

Such a lovely face

They livin' it up at the Hotel Maxhell

What a nice surprise (what a nice surprise)

Bring your alibis

Clean Fans on the ceiling,

The Pepsi is on ice

And Teri said "We are all just prisoners here, of our own device"

And in the master's chambers,

They gathered for the feast

They stab bean burritos their steely knives,

Then two animal crackers a-piece!

Last thing I remember, I was

Running for the door

I had to find the passage back

To the place I was before