IGNORED

Maxwells explain it all for us

kpmom

Wow, I don't know anything about the Maxwells really, but I would never have guessed Sarah was in her thirties! I looked through their blog and they make the Duggars look almost normal.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you so much for pointing that out. He has always reminded me of someone but I couldn't put my finger on who exactly.

Yep:

viewtopic.php?f=96&t=20937&start=140#p690205

Sarah's saying that the Moody books can be a vehicle for a child's imagination, taking him somewhere he's never been, shattered my irony meter.

Sarah's saying that the Moody books can be a vehicle for a child's imagination, taking him somewhere he's never been, shattered my irony meter.

Thanks for this hearty laugh, thoughtful! :lol:

Careful of viewing Steve's video. Please note this was only directed to THE DADS. We womenfolk need to stick to our own segregated videos. :roll:

But Sarah is in her 30s...

I guess I just mean that you can't tell much about someone's personality by watching them deliver a scripted speech into a camera. There's a reason they pay actors to do that stuff-- your average person would sound weird as hell.

Wow, I don't know anything about the Maxwells really, but I would never have guessed Sarah was in her thirties! I looked through their blog and they make the Duggars look almost normal.

Actually, Teri comes off as A LOT more normal and "with it" than Michelle.

"Books are a ticket, a vehicle to a child's imagination taking them to places often not traveled."

That is true Sarah, but not true about the Moody books.

From the A Summer With the Moodys sample chapter on their website.

Two weeks passed, and it was Sunday, June 19th. Sundays were special days, and this one was extra special: Father’s Day! Mom and the children made breakfast: pan- cakes, scrambled eggs, and sausage. Then it was time for church, where Pastor Thompson preached a sermon about God’s gift of His only Son to man.

In the afternoon, everyone took naps. The evening included Dad’s favorite meal, family devotions, and gifts. Dad had felt very loved and appreciated.

She thinks this is a thrilling imaginative world children never would've dreamed of?

She thinks this is a thrilling imaginative world children never would've dreamed of?

Given that this has been Sarah's life, yeah. When you have no basis for comparison, it probably IS thrilling. Imagination has been trained out of her so she's taken the adage to write what you know way too literally. The Moody books are a window into Maxhell.

Watching the videos now. Teri has a lovely speaking voice. Has anyone here read Homeschooling With a Meek and Quiet Spirit and would be able to give us the rundown, by any chance?

Oh my god, Sarah never blinks. Every fifteen seconds maybe. That was so weird. She has this fixed stare... Time for some Media Training With the Moodys.

Watching the videos now. Teri has a lovely speaking voice. Has anyone here read Homeschooling With a Meek and Quiet Spirit and would be able to give us the rundown, by any chance?

Oh my god, Sarah never blinks. Every fifteen seconds maybe. That was so weird. She has this fixed stare... Time for some Media Training With the Moodys.

gardenvarietycitizen has read most of them.

Oh my God! Sarah sounds and looks so much like Terri. My first reaction to the video was Sarah has gotten so old! (I know she isn't really but still)

Wow, I never expected Teri's voice to sound like that! She sounds confident and normal.

Sarah is kinda weird...never seen her on video before, and there is just something off about her, she is so childlike in her mannerisms. No way is she in her thirties, everything about her is 12, and her speech is kinda weird. I expected her to sound stilted though, as her writing sounds like no real person ever speaks, but obviously she got that from the weird speech patterns of her family. Now I am curious what the others sound like....

Steve creeps me out. He is one of the fundie cult leader kind of people that I find so unbelievably creepy that I never want to meet. He isn't as creepy as Gothard or Michael Pearl though, but he has crazy eyes.

I read it a while ago (bought it used, like all of my Maxwell books, so nothing goes to them). It's been a couple of years since I read it, but the one thing that stands out in my memory is that Teri refers to just about every normal human emotion as a sin. Frustration, sin. Loneliness, sin. Impatience, sin. You get the picture. Just keep smiling, just keep smiling…

Otherwise, it's the usual Maxwell crap. Anecdotal "advice" with a whole lot of bible verses that supposedly back it up.

I thought the same - she looks much younger than her age, and like other posters pointed out, she speaks in a similar fashion to Priscilla Waller.

Those Moody books would definitely NOT appeal to young teenagers like she stated - my 12 year old would never read it. My daughter prefers Hunger Games books, Maze Runner books, etc. If Sarah would like to open up children's minds/imaginations (ha!), maybe she should send the Moodys on a cross-country trip. She could describe many of the places they've visited for conferences over the years, so it would at least be informative, and possibly even slightly interesting. She could add little-known facts about each location, and have pictures as well.

I thought the same - she looks much younger than her age, and like other posters pointed out, she speaks in a similar fashion to Priscilla Waller.

Those Moody books would definitely NOT appeal to young teenagers like she stated - my 12 year old would never read it. My daughter prefers Hunger Games books, Maze Runner books, etc. If Sarah would like to open up children's minds/imaginations (ha!), maybe she should send the Moodys on a cross-country trip. She could describe many of the places they've visited for conferences over the years, so it would at least be informative, and possibly even slightly interesting. She could add little-known facts about each location, and have pictures as well.

Oh, no-- not little known facts! She would have to use the evil google and be tempted by ads for touristy things in the towns she researched. She might see a hotel ad with people of both sexes at a swimming pool! She might learn something about a town that is not Daddy approved! She is only 35, she can't possibly be expected to manage historical or geographical research on the computer by herself!

My first though when watching Sarah's video is that she's more attractive than she appears in photos. After that it was all discomfort with the way she speaks and moves. It's like she's doing a bad impression of a human. So stilted and, like someone else said, no idea of where to pause or add emphasis. To those that have gone to conferences, is Sarah like that in person as well?

BTW Sarah, my daughter is 8 and she'd be bored to death with the Moody books. She's a Nancy Clancy and Lego comics girl. You know, fun, mystery, adventure. Everything you've been taught is bad.

I've heard podcast interviews with Steve and his tone surprised me by being warmer than I expected. Looking at him though shoots that to hell. He creeps me out.

I had the same reaction to hearing him on the podcast. He sounds like a normal guy, warm and friendly, and in this particular case, he did come off as a good conversationalist. It may have sounded like an off-the-cuff interview but the purpose was still the same—selling Jesus—and we all know he's had a lot of practice. He's most definitely uncomfortable reading a script in front of a camera though and it shows. Wow, was he awkward! If all anyone had to go by was this video, the Maxwell ship would have sunk before it ever left the harbor.

I read it a while ago (bought it used, like all of my Maxwell books, so nothing goes to them). It's been a couple of years since I read it, but the one thing that stands out in my memory is that Teri refers to just about every normal human emotion as a sin. Frustration, sin. Loneliness, sin. Impatience, sin. You get the picture. Just keep smiling, just keep smiling…

Otherwise, it's the usual Maxwell crap. Anecdotal "advice" with a whole lot of bible verses that supposedly back it up.

It's ironic, because if you read the New Testament these are all emotions that Jesus experienced. Jesus - the SINLESS Son of God. Something to consider, Teri.

My first though when watching Sarah's video is that she's more attractive than she appears in photos. After that it was all discomfort with the way she speaks and moves. It's like she's doing a bad impression of a human. So stilted and, like someone else said, no idea of where to pause or add emphasis.

I totally agree with this. It's like the uncanny valley effect, but with a real person instead of a robot. Can't help but feel the whole lot of them would fail the Turing test as well.

Even apart from the general Maxhellian oddness, it's quite strange to watch that video. It's a roller coaster of "omg that's pretentious deluded nonsense" and "oh sweetheart, I just want to bake you a cake and tell you things aren't as bad as you've been told."

These shattered my irony meter too. It's crazy.

I half wanted to ask what is so ungodly about non-fiction memoirs, partly because I'm reading Into Thin Air right now but then, by Maxwell standards, that's obscene --- buddhist prayer flags AND sex on Everest?Drinking too!

I even went and read the preview for Summer Days with the Moodys on Amazon. My imagination was not taken...anywhere. I still think there must be some nonfiction memoir that is Maxwell friendly...somewhere. Somehow. I know it's unlikely but I want them to have like a whole 3 approved books to read for pleasure.

I totally agree with this. It's like the uncanny valley effect, but with a real person instead of a robot. Can't help but feel the whole lot of them would fail the Turing test as well.

Even apart from the general Maxhellian oddness, it's quite strange to watch that video. It's a roller coaster of "omg that's pretentious deluded nonsense" and "oh sweetheart, I just want to bake you a cake and tell you things aren't as bad as you've been told."

I'm currently considering some bizarre storylines revolving around Steve building child robots in his basement.

These shattered my irony meter too. It's crazy.

I half wanted to ask what is so ungodly about non-fiction memoirs, partly because I'm reading Into Thin Air right now but then, by Maxwell standards, that's obscene --- buddhist prayer flags AND sex on Everest?Drinking too!

I even went and read the preview for Summer Days with the Moodys on Amazon. My imagination was not taken...anywhere. I still think there must be some nonfiction memoir that is Maxwell friendly...somewhere. Somehow. I know it's unlikely but I want them to have like a whole 3 approved books to read for pleasure.

I know Nathan reads some biographies. It's been mentioned in passing a couple of times.

Well of course this is thrilling and imaginative. There are pancakes, scrambled eggs and sausage. That is a meal for Kings. Normally they just have green smoothies.

Archived