IGNORED

Interesting - New FLDS article about leaving the FLDS

This is a new article about people fleeing the FLDS. I hope they are right that DOJ case will be a further blow to the "religion". The DOJ seems to be doing it right in the fact that they aren't targeting the religion but the illegal run of the cities, etc. Trying to take them down like Capone.

Also Elissa Wall is helping with the underground escape of some of the people. I hope more and more get connected with the internet and google Warren Jeffs and read the truth.

Part 1:

america.aljazeera.com/multimedia/2015/3/fleeing-the-flds-sect.html

Part 2: (I haven't read all of part 2 yet)

america.aljazeera.com/multimedia/2015/3/deprogramming-from-the-flds-warren-jeffs-cult.html

* mods - please move if not in the right area

The story about the man who had to leave his 8 kids broke my heart. Terrible. The lesbian story was great, she was a strong woman from the start. I can't imagine being 16 and told to marry a man with 3 wives in his 40s.

I agree fundiewatcher. I have read Elissa and other books on FLDS and the stories are heartbreaking the break up of the families is just awful!

I couldn't be happier that Old Man Jeffs' control is slipping. I'm sure he knows this is happening, so is overcompensating by tightening his grip. Unfortunately, I think this is causing more and more of his followers to see the light and leave. I think his empire will soon be turned to dust.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if he eventually commits suicide in prison. Sociopaths live solely to manipulate others for their own pleasure and gain. In their own minds, if they don't have the ability to control those around them, there is no point in existing.

I couldn't be happier that Old Man Jeffs' control is slipping. I'm sure he knows this is happening, so is overcompensating by tightening his grip. Unfortunately, I think this is causing more and more of his followers to see the light and leave. I think his empire will soon be turned to dust.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if he eventually commits suicide in prison. Sociopaths live solely to manipulate others for their own pleasure and gain. In their own minds, if they don't have the ability to control those around them, there is no point in existing.

I agree, he's a sociopath in my opinion, and if he realized he could no longer control his followers, he might commit suicide in prison. I'm glad that more of his followers are getting tired of the increasing control he's had, and finding the courage to leave that cult.

Didn't Warren Jeffs go on a hunger strike aka Bobby Sands a few years ago?

Didn't Warren Jeffs go on a hunger strike aka Bobby Sands a few years ago?

Yes, he went on a hunger strike: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -cell.html ***warning article is not for the faint of heart- it talks about why he was sentenced

I wish they would not allow visitors since the law enforcement knows he is instructing his sheeple from his prison cell. I think one of the only ways to stop some of his madness is to not allow any contact with him, someone will need to step up as leader and maybe they would be better...that's a big fat maybe.

**put in a disclaimer

Yet another example of how INFORMATION CONTROL is one of the big tools these horrible cults use to keep people trapped.

If only someone could just fly a plane over their community dropping leaflets describing the horrible child abuse in this cult so that more people could realize what was going on and escape.

Tonight on OWNis a new one hour interview with willie jessop, former flds spokesperson who gave Oprah the tour of the yfz ranch six years ago (showing how lovely it was).

Yet another example of how INFORMATION CONTROL is one of the big tools these horrible cults use to keep people trapped.

If only someone could just fly a plane over their community dropping leaflets describing the horrible child abuse in this cult so that more people could realize what was going on and escape.

Most of them would just think it was the outside world tempting them and leading them to Satan. Mind control is big in these groups, too. Remember how many women and children were picked up during that raid in Texas, and the vast majority went right back into the cult.

I'm so glad so many are finally defecting. The fact that other stores are opening is wonderful, and I really hope other, less brainwashed people are moving into those towns, too. Those FLDS members need to see other lives and lifestyles.

It would be good to see other folks move there. Have traveled through there and the scenery is gorgeous, the town gets a lot of through traffic from tourists traveling between Zion and Grand Canyon. Town could prosper pretty well if they were willing to cater to tourists. Last time we went through there in 2008 it was like a ghost town. Sure we knew people were there but we saw absolutely nobody.

I wonder what the state is going to do with YFZ. They have had it for almost a year. It would be I trees ting to see the inside of the temple.

• 5 months later...

Is anyone else as excited as me to see the Prophet's Prey documentary? Supposedly it will be released on October 10th, but has already screened in the community, where those who have left have offered positive feedback, saying it is accurate though it misses a lot.

The FLDS were my first fundie obsession and are still my favorite depressing rabbit hole to get lost in, but news and media have been pretty minimal lately now that the evictions and everything are underway. Breaking FLDS was so incredibly scripted (but I watched every minute with rapt attention nonetheless) and Outlaw Prophet was a major letdown. I'm hoping we finally have a good film coming out with Prophet's Prey!

What do you think will come of the FLDS? Their community has has so many big shakes in the past few years and so many members have publicly left. But they do tend to band together when facing "persecution" so I don't think the end is near for their sect, but I think they've got big changes ahead as government oversight increases.

thespectrum.com/story/news/2015/09/12/flds-exiles-praise-documentary-film-prophets-abuses/72175334/

Trimmed

What do you think will come of the FLDS? Their community has has so many big shakes in the past few years and so many members have publicly left. But they do tend to band together when facing "persecution" so I don't think the end is near for their sect, but I think they've got big changes ahead as government oversight increases.

They were hit HARD in Hilldale with rain and flash floods. News here is reporting there was a wall of water that rushed through Hilldale, UT, and it swept a van and car away. 16 people. 8 confirmed dead. 3 survivors. And then... unknown. Of course, most of the injured/dead were women and children. Very sad.

I don't know how they will interpret this flood (what Jeffs or other leaders will say--wrath of God?) But it is a hard thing for a community.

And, in Utah, the Brown case determined that polygamy between consenting adults was legal. It's what made same-sex marriage legal in Utah. It is really, really hard to guess what will happen. The FLDS are already under government reorganization. The government is managing the property and other things that were held "in common" (read, given to their church holding company). People now own their own homes, etc. Houses are getting finished where they have been unfinished (especially on the outsides) until now.

Yikes! That death toll from the flood has increased since I last checked.

The many changes happening lately are what make me wonder how the community will react. Will Warren claim the floods and evictions are God's wrath for not resisting the reorganization of the UEP steadfastly enough (as if ignoring all notices and ending up evicted and living in a makeshift tent city with a myriad of children behind a giant wall isn't resistance enough)? For him still being jailed and unable to force his seed among pubescent girls? For the fallout from that child labor case that found illegal use of children lately?

I know it's hard to say and only time will tell. But with so incredibly much happening, and knowing how they've banded together over perceived persecution in the past, it's hard not to speculate. I can't help but worry that their world will get smaller and more restricted.

Do you happen to know if the mainstream LDS church is making many efforts to help? I know the FLDS and LDS have tried for over a century to distance themselves from the other, and that Short Creek is a bit inaccessible for most of Arizona and Utah, but I do hope that differences can be put aside in this natural disaster and help offered (and taken, but I could see the FLDS worrying that accepting such help would bring even greater wrath). It's all so very sad.

Do you happen to know if the mainstream LDS church is making many efforts to help? I know the FLDS and LDS have tried for over a century to distance themselves from the other, and that Short Creek is a bit inaccessible for most of Arizona and Utah, but I do hope that differences can be put aside in this natural disaster and help offered (and taken, but I could see the FLDS worrying that accepting such help would bring even greater wrath). It's all so very sad.

I surely do. Almost all of the cops and personnel helping in and around Hildale are regular LDS. The "regulars" don't dislike the fundamentalists, but the FLDS do have a big fear of (not-unfounded) government help and control. Especially since the bigamy law in Utah caused even more problems for them and they are under government oversight. My sister lived near two large FLDS communities. They are very, very private. I am regular LDS, and I am as fascinated by the FLDS (in all its forms--from Hildale to Sisterwives). :D I also must admit, I find Warren Jeffs as skivvy as Josh Duggar.

I am breaking a link to the main-stream LDS newspaper, the Deseret News. You get a good sense of the way the FLDS are taking the situation.

deseretnews.com/article/865636985/7th-victim-in-Zion-flash-flood-located-FLDS-families-thankful-for-help-in-Hildale-search.html?pg=all That's my first link post. I hope I broke it properly.

Anyway, ALL of Utah has been shocked and saddened by the tremendous loss. 2 really large families, and then 7 other hikers in Zion's National Park.

Here's how local support would work: The members of the LDS church nearby would help. They were lots of the volunteer searchers. However, there are schisms in the FLDS church. That's where it's hardest to get support. There were families who had been separated for years suddenly all working together. That's really lovely, but it took the deaths of many women and children to get them pulled together.

Although I don't worship they way they do, my heart goes out to such a fractured community. Hope my POV helps a bit.

I surely do... Hope my POV helps a bit.

Thanks so much for your POV and info on local help! I'm so glad to hear that the nearby communities are providing assistance and that at least some people are accepting the help. These rampaging floods are devastating even in well connected areas. I cannot even imagine going through it with the level of isolation the flds have.

The hikers in Zion were hiking what is usually a relatively safe hike, too, from my understanding (though the time of year does bring warnings). There is just so much that is sad about this flood.

• 1 month later...

A few nights back I saw Prophet's Prey on a Showtime channel. It was almost finished when I stumbled onto it. It's airing tonight on Showtime at 8:15 pm.

A few nights back I saw Prophet's Prey on a Showtime channel. It was almost finished when I stumbled onto it. It's airing tonight on Showtime at 8:15 pm.

Or if you can't catch it live, you can log into showtime anytime and watch it at your leisure :)  I'm doing that right now. Thanks for the afternoon entertainment lilwriter85.

Archived