IGNORED

Warren Jeffs- Taking the Easy Way Out

News outlets are reporting that Warren Jeffs is in a medically induced coma after going on a hunger strike.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/source-warren- ... d=14405162

Sounds like he's taking the easy way out. Instead of suffering in jail for years on end (worse than death in my opinion), he is taking his own life by way of a hunger strike.

If he wants to die, let him. When he does and thinks he's going to paradise , he's going to have a whole different experience.

Why keep him comfortable? Pull the IV's, let him die of dehydration. I don't have any sympathy for him and he can burn.

Show's what a powerful man he really is. Bah. :evil:

oh wow. i'm not at all surprised, but i really hope that the FLDS don't find a way to martyr him for the cause. what a sick, sick man.

eta: i'm off to read up, and may therefore answer my own question, but would he be sustained indefinitely by the state, if he refused to eat?

so much for a prophet he is a coward at heart. myself keep the miserable fuck alive so he can keep suffering in jail death is too good for him.

I think this is happening because ole Warren's figured out that the Texas Department of Corrections, unlike the Tom Green county jail, is not going to let him call up his followers and harangue them over the jail payphone for hours and hours upon end. Apparently the Tom Green jail is privately run, and they had no problem letting him use the jail payphone--it cost his followers something like $23,000 in phone cards in the months he was there. In the Texas prison system, Warren would be limited to 4 hours total a month, no more than 15 minutes at a time, only to specific landline phone numbers of people on his approved visitors list, the calls couldn't be recorded...no, he couldn't go on for hours and hours and hours.

This also isn't the first time he's fasted nearly to death. When he was in the Mojave county jail in Arizona, he was taken to the local hospital in Kingman twice, and once airlifted to Las Vegas because he'd fasted so much. The jailers in the Mojave county jail also restricted the amount of time he could spend on his knees praying since he'd blistered uip his knees by staying on them for hours and hours. (They had no problem with him praying, just not on his knees.)

Given all this, I'm not surprised this has happened, except for one thing--the speed.

I suspect there's something else going on. 3 days should be nothing for starvation and while weak, he shouldn't need immediate medical attention. People generally die after 50-70 days of hunger striking.

And generally the state will interfere with hunger strikes.

Do what they did with John Allen Muhummad when he tried this- force him an IV so that he can get the nutrients and stay alive until the time really is ready for him to die.

I just read this and was about to post. Jeffs is one of those types that I want to keep around for a long time, to wallow in his self-created hell. He must know they'll induce coma and feed him intravenously, and measure his weight constantly to keep him alive.

I'm guessing a bedsheet noose does him in inside of six months, though.

I'm surprised he accepted medical treatment - he still has the right to refuse unless he is confused/lacks capacity.

I suspect there's something else going on. 3 days should be nothing for starvation and while weak, he shouldn't need immediate medical attention. People generally die after 50-70 days of hunger striking.

And generally the state will interfere with hunger strikes.

What you said. The state will step in and three days is bugger all anyway. I can't eat when I am anxious or depressed and I've gone a week without food before. One gets a bit faint, but one doesn't end up in hospital.

I'm surprised he accepted medical treatment - he still has the right to refuse unless he is confused/lacks capacity.

In college I took a class on prison life, taught by a former warden. I think hunger strikes/suicide attempts are one of the cases where prisons are legally allowed to treat w/o consent. That's why I said they'll weigh him and keep him alive. This kind of thing isn't really tolerated.

The rules might vary from state to state, though.

Vision -- I didn't realize that! I'll have to do some reading! :)

Yeah, I also think the fact that he's basically suicidal also gives them legal cover. I think that qualifies as diminished capacity, in my not-a-lawyer opinion. 8-)

Three days without food is nothing. Three days nil per os, now... without water, I'll bet he'd have been in some trouble. I'd guess that's what happened.

Stick an NG tube down him and fill him until he hurts. Son of a bitch doesn't deserve the mercy of death.

If he has had anorexic behavior before, couldn't an 3 day fast hurt his already depleted body more than someone who had normal eating habits?

That said, I don't care what happens to him - and mark my words, he already IS a martyr and there is some new sicko in the FLDS lecturing girls on how to please him sexually - only it isn't getting taped...

I hope they put in a central line, give him some TPN and get him better. Then, just put in a g-tube. People can live decades with a g-tube. He'll never have to let another morsel pass his lips again. And you can get plenty of fluids that way also. Sick bastard.

In college I took a class on prison life, taught by a former warden. I think hunger strikes/suicide attempts are one of the cases where prisons are legally allowed to treat w/o consent. That's why I said they'll weigh him and keep him alive. This kind of thing isn't really tolerated.

The rules might vary from state to state, though.

This, at least in NC (I was a correctional officer & spent 2+ years over a shift in the hospital when inmates were being treated there). Suicide attempts & hunger strikes more than a few days or with life-threatening effects are considered diminished capacity, and the state has a responsibility to intervene to keep them alive.

The one thing I really don't get is why they published where he was being treated. Usually, they do not even acknowledge an inmate is in an outside hospital, and it seems especially risky with somebody as high profile as him.

You know, under a lot of other circumstances I'd say screw him, enjoy being dead and all -- but if he wants to die so bad, screw that, keep him going!

I will say that while Texas' justice system has a lot to answer for, in this case all I could do was laugh when I heard he was in their hands. You'd think he'd have known that before packing up and moving the group there.

Stick an NG tube down him and fill him until he hurts. Son of a bitch doesn't deserve the mercy of death.

+1

My first reaction too was "what a wimp", but he'd been fasting since early August--still not that long--and not drinking enough. The latter can kill you pretty quick if you're not eating either.

Hopefully they just tube him. I don't really care if he dies or not, but he doesn't deserve to have that much control over his life.

Archived