IGNORED

Benessa, Jinger, and the Chick Tracts

VixenToast

Ugh, I can't figure out how to link.

Has anyone seen Jessa and Ben's latest Facebook video? On evangelism and chick tracts and Jingers testimony.

On the whole, at least they aren't as awkward as Pecan and Silly.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those aren't Chick tracts that they're hawking, they are Living Waters. As annoying as Ray Comfort and Living Waters are they are nowhere near as lurid and offensive as Chick tracts.

Welp... so much for my hopes for Jinger. She seems in pretty deep.

What on earth could she have done by the age of 14 or so to make her, a very sheltered girl in a very conservative family with no free time to do anything on her own, think that she was so doomed to burn in hell? Unless she killed someone or burned a church down...

I don't understand the Evangelical mindset AT ALL.

What on earth could she have done by the age of 14 or so to make her, a very sheltered girl in a very conservative family with no free time to do anything on her own, think that she was so doomed to burn in hell? Unless she killed someone or burned a church down...

Maybe she thought of going to NYC?

Also wondered this. If my adolescence was any indication of normal childhood behavior, her sins so far have probably been lust, light masturbation and/or longing to pursue a secular passion.

Their theory is the same as the Maxwell's and many other evangelicals - that to "have sin in your heart" is just as bad as committing it. So getting angry and slapping your sister is just as bad as murder, thinking about a cute boy kissing you is the same as having a torrid adulterous affair, lying to your parents about what's in your heart is the same as lying to a police officer about a crime you witnessed, stealing a cookie is the same as committing large scale fraud - they are all sins and make baby Jesus cry and mean you deserve an eternity in hell.

It always freaks me out to hear the littlest Duggars singing the line from the hymn they always perform that goes "why should I not be sent to hell to suffer for all time" with their big pasted on ATI smiles, Michelle looking into the latest blessing's eyes as she mouths the words. But it's what they believe.

"Going to hell" is the default mode in this flavor of Christianity. I'm actually not being snarky here, and fundies will tell you the same.

this is just too weird.

also, my hopes for Jinger are all gone. She is 21 now and from what she is saying in that video she has spent her teen years not even questioning her upbringing the slightest bit. she just committed sins by thinking some things (whatever that was) and already assumed them as sinful. so there you go...no questioning whatsoever. for some reason this makes me so sad, really, I was rooting for Jinger for years and years, since 2010, when I first watched the show.

and their speech pattern, the words they use to describe their mindset, it's just so...masochistic and also lazy, like: accept that you are a bad person and expect another entity to take care of that because no matter what you do, you will always be a sinner because let's face it: who in the world can really control their thoughts 100%, especially when it's about loving a person you shouldn't be in love with... it's impossible!

Also wondered this. If my adolescence was any indication of normal childhood behavior, her sins so far have probably been lust, light masturbation and/or longing to pursue a secular passion.

Indeed, but keep in mind we are NOT talking about "normal childhood behavior". I'm thinking her "sins" are more likely coveting jeans or shorts, desiring to have her own room, etc. Longing to pursue a secular passion is likely as well...especially since she took up photography.

"Going to hell" is the default mode in this flavor of Christianity. I'm actually not being snarky here, and fundies will tell you the same.

You're correct. The word translated sin literally mean to miss the mark. Even one sin means that you have missed the mark. Only by believing/accepting Jesus as Savior is Jesus' perfectness considered yours making you perfect enough for heaven, because no sin is allowed into heaven. Thus those who have not believed/accepted Jesus as Savior have only their own record of missing the mark. And the default is hell- "Whoever believes in Him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God" John 3:18. It isn't that Jinger had done anything horrifying, just that she at some point done some thing that missed that mark (sin).

What happened to Jinger? PUBERTY, people. I remember in fifth grade (I got my period in 5th grade, so I know whereof I speak) I reallyreallyreally wanted to become a nun. I thought I had what it took to be a nun. I could live in a convent with a bunch of other nuns. I could pray fervently every day, heck, I was already doing it. I wanted to have the "light streaming in through the stained glass windows, angels singing in the background" communications with God.

I had it bad. I was eleven. Figure Jinger is a bit young for her age.. she's heard sin and redemption all her life, of COURSE she wants to be closer to God. She's scared shitless. All that stuff is taking over in her body.. so she KNOWS she's sinned somehow, even though she only has a vague idea of what sin really is.

Benessa is fucking with us. Of course they'd choose out "mascot," Jinger as a target for their 8 minute verbal diarrhea. Whats interesting is that, for someone that is SO MEDIA SAVVY she doesn't look at the camera. Her eye contact is entirely on Ben. I wonder if this is Boob's way of letting her on FB to vet potential suitors.

Jinger hands out ray comfort's million dollar bills? She insults Hindus? SHe was surprised that was a religion??? I dont see Jinger street prosteletizing. She might get defrauded by a "fan".

"going to church doesnt make you a christian." Gee, thanks Jing. So glad you have scary cell phone tracts! I wonder if Benny boy got a pimping gig for living waters. He may be pining for a gig with Kirky Dirky.

Thanks Ben for reminding us that people are dying all over the world! The fact that they are "dying without christ" is truly less material than the fact THAT THEY ARE DEAD YOU ASSHAT. Maybe you should focus on WHAT IS KILLING THEM rather than what sky creature they pray to.

I feel so bad for these kids if they think that they are all sinners/failures. The smallest "sin" is eternal damnation or some black mark on your name to god. Whatever happened to salvation by good deeds/works? Do they truly believe that salvation is through belief alone? Is that why Michelle is such a selfish bitch?

It's very interesting to me that while the grown Bates seem to be becoming more free-thinking or at least independently minded/making decisions on their own, the grown Duggars seem to be becoming more homogeneous and loyal to the "Duggar Brand".

Unfortunately, it also means that the Bates family is becoming more likable and the Duggars less so. 19 kids that are all the same just isn't as interesting (or even interesting at all) as a big family where everyone kind of has their own thing. Personally, I could see TLC dropping the Duggars and snagging the Bates from Up!.

It's very interesting to me that while the grown Bates seem to be becoming more free-thinking or at least independently minded/making decisions on their own, the grown Duggars seem to be becoming more homogeneous and loyal to the "Duggar Brand".

Unfortunately, it also means that the Bates family is becoming more likable and the Duggars less so. 19 kids that are all the same just isn't as interesting (or even interesting at all) as a big family where everyone kind of has their own thing. Personally, I could see TLC dropping the Duggars and snagging the Bates from Up!.

Being a Duggar is a JOB. The kids are taught that from a young age. They recite their lines, spew back lines, smile and play instruments (badly).

Being a Bates is a freak of luck. They are a family, they encourage their kids to work.

Both are still hateful cults, but being a Bates is more likeable.

The Bates' overall beliefs are just as radical, BUT they have always seemed to emphasize what they perceive as the positive aspects of their faith (a close family, forgiveness, relationships etc.) as opposed to the Duggars. Really the only positive things the Duggars really talk about religion doing for them is "children are a blessing" and "live within your means."

If the Duggar kids knew that they could, say, wear pants in public and mom and dad would still accept (or even defend) them, you'd better believe we'd have seen a Duggar woman in pants by now. Alyssa might be unusually independent for a fundie woman, but I think she also knows that in the end, her mom is behind her even when she doesn't get her way. Would Michelle have her daughters' backs through anything? Maybe, but I really doubt it.

I do think there is a pretty extreme psychological difference in how people translate their religion into their lifestyle and relationships based on those different perspectives. It's a lot easier to be around people who love to share the way their faith has brought joy to their lives vs. the people who drone on and on about what terrible things happen to people who aren't Christian, how unworthy we are, blah blah blah.

It is very, very difficult to raise children to be emotionally resilient and confident when they are intensely fear-motivated. Emphasis on the positive rewards from your choices and actions is MUCH healthier.

Being a Duggar is a JOB. The kids are taught that from a young age. They recite their lines, spew back lines, smile and play instruments (badly).

Being a Bates is a freak of luck. They are a family, they encourage their kids to work.

Both are still hateful cults, but being a Bates is more likeable.

Don't the Bates also line their kids up and "perform"? I could have sworn I saw this at one time and they were better than the duggars - I could be dreaming.

Don't the Bates also line their kids up and "perform"? I could have sworn I saw this at one time and they were better than the duggars - I could be dreaming.

They do, but not on national TV and on youtube whenever possible.

Jinger!!! No :(

Poor dear, I bet her teenage sin was something like "being cranky and wanting to be alone" or "acting snippy with mom about not being allowed to do fun stuff." I hate how these kids are made to feel guilty for everything!!

Also Ben's theology is so wannabe and amateur! Send that boy back to school!

Jinger!!! No :(

Poor dear, I bet her teenage sin was something like "being cranky and wanting to be alone" or "acting snippy with mom about not being allowed to do fun stuff." I hate how these kids are made to feel guilty for everything!!

I'm pretty sure these are NORMAL feelings that she is allowed to have, especially in her case as she has 18 siblings. Not a crime; her parents may have had the same feelings.

However being a Duggar is a brand - you have to represent that brand at all times.

So much YES in the comments. I can't eve decide what to quite to yes to, so all of it.

I just have to snark a minute on how they're talking about being "saved" is a "free gift." There's so much work involved that it's a reward. Gifts are freely given, not with strings.

"Are you a good person? No!"

Fuck you, Ben.

Benessa is fucking with us. Of course they'd choose out "mascot," Jinger as a target for their 8 minute verbal diarrhea. Whats interesting is that, for someone that is SO MEDIA SAVVY she doesn't look at the camera. Her eye contact is entirely on Ben. I wonder if this is Boob's way of letting her on FB to vet potential suitors.

Jinger hands out ray comfort's million dollar bills? She insults Hindus? SHe was surprised that was a religion??? I dont see Jinger street prosteletizing. She might get defrauded by a "fan".

"going to church doesnt make you a christian." Gee, thanks Jing. So glad you have scary cell phone tracts! I wonder if Benny boy got a pimping gig for living waters. He may be pining for a gig with Kirky Dirky.

Thanks Ben for reminding us that people are dying all over the world! The fact that they are "dying without christ" is truly less material than the fact THAT THEY ARE DEAD YOU ASSHAT. Maybe you should focus on WHAT IS KILLING THEM rather than what sky creature they pray to.

I feel so bad for these kids if they think that they are all sinners/failures. The smallest "sin" is eternal damnation or some black mark on your name to god. Whatever happened to salvation by good deeds/works? Do they truly believe that salvation is through belief alone? Is that why Michelle is such a selfish bitch?

They (and many IFBs) are virulently opposed to works based salvation. They believe that God's forgiveness is so valuable and humans so sinful that said forgiveness could never be "earned" - Jesus bought it for us all, if only we'd believe in him.

The catch is usually that, even though you're saved by faith alone, if you're truly saved there will be fruits of your faith in your life - basically, you'll act like they think a Christian should and hopefully do nice things. But it's cause you received the "free gift of salvation" - you don't earn brownie points with God for being a decent person, cause all people are sinful and wicked.

How long ago did FJ come online? Maybe she heard and felt responsible, that she needed to work on her contentment so evil heathen feminists didn't want to free her anymore.

I grew up in a IFB church and, unfortunately, a lot of what Jinger said was like a flashback to my youth. I can't tell you how many times I "realized" that I wasn't saved and prayed, and prayed, and re-prayed for Jesus' salvation. I can't tell you just how damaging, and fucking scary, the idea of burning in hell for all eternity was to me as a child and as a teenager. Even now, 15+ years removed from it all, I can still break out in a sweat when I think "what if it's all real and I'm going to burn forever and ever?"

I feel really sad for Jinger. Unless you've been through it, it's hard to imagine just how paralyzingly is that fear of Hell. When that's the only lens you've been given to see through, even if you somehow manage to switch views, everything will always be compared to that first lens. Which means in the back of your mind, you'll always wonder "what if?" I'm wrong.

What gets me about Ben doing this video is that he's a Calvinist- so God is going to save whomever he wants to, regardless of what Ben Seewald pontificates about on Instagram and FB. So what's the point of the video? Wouldn't it be a better use of his time to pray to God to save the people He predestined to hell?

Archived