IGNORED

STAR TREK

Lillybee

Yeah, I'm in agreement with a lot of you- TNG definitely my favorite. I just finished watching DS9 for the first time, and I really enjoyed it. TOS is also wonderful. Voyager was so inconsistent that it's hard for me to watch, and I gave up on on Enterprise.

On 2/29/2016 at 11:51 AM, CTRLZero said:

I missed something - there's a new online-only version?  What?!?

Yeah! It's not out yet, but it's supposed to come out January 2017. Bryan Fuller's the creator and show runner. It's only going to have a special preview episode on TV, then it's going to move to CBS All Access- CBS's subscriptions service.  I think it's going to be in the reboot's universe, but have entirely new characters's. I'm not a big fan of the reboots, but I'm excited to see what Fuller will do with the show.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On February 29, 2016 at 7:32 AM, Kak said:

My fav episode was a space-time continuum one, Yesterday's Enterprise (?) or Tomorrow's Enterprise(?).  

Yesterday's Enterprise, just watched it actually :) Great episode! I loved the time travel one where they met Mark Twain.  

TNG :)  Picard, Data, Worf, really they're almost all good and I think the characters really made that one.  Even Wesley got a few good moments, mostly playing off of Picard.  I feel like Geordi was a little underutilized, which was a shame, my Reading Rainbow loving little heart adored Geordi ;)

Measure of a Man wins for favorite, that one gave me a lot to think about as a young child. And I'd almost forgotten Inner Light, but yeah, there was something so fascinating and engaging about that one.

I like Voyager, but I also really enjoy watching critical reviews of episodes, almost as much fun as watching the show itself. Voyager's highs were so high and its lows so very low. But I love just about all of it.

Haven't seen as much DS9 as I'd like, and never got into it quite so much as a kid.  I think the exploration aspects appealed to me more than the intrigues of DS9, though I think I'd really enjoy that now. Would like to pick the series up at some point.

I've also not seen as much ToS as I'd like, though I have seen all the ToS/TNG movies.

Haven't seen the newer movies yet (though yay, Zachary Quinto!), and hadn't even realized there was a new series. It's cold down here under my rock :(

TNG has to be my favourite series but the original series has some pretty good episodes too. My favourite episode is probably Measure of a Man, I remember watching it as a kid one snow day and I was seriously freaking out that they would actually dismantle Data.

Only seen the first of the few movies, it's pretty good :my_rolleyes:

I was just watching an episode in TNG with guest star Howie Seago.  Howie Seago is a deaf actor and, although it's not my favorite episode, it is very affecting at the end when Picard holds Seago's hands (after his friends/interpreters have been killed) and exclaims that he is not alone and they will help him through his present difficulties.  :tw_bawling:   (I must be in one of those moods...)

Anyway, I was reading up on Seago's history and realized I have seen him perform in Ashland, Oregon, at the Shakespeare festival.  How cool is that?  So happy I stumbled on this thread.

We like them all except for DS9, which we tried, but just couldn't watch.  Voyager is our favorite. My favorite character is pretty obvious...Seven of Nine!  Like the movies too. 

I love Star Trek!!!!!

My favourite series is probably ds9, though I love them all (except I've never seen Enterprise).

My favourite characters are La Forge and Kira, tying for first place :-)

I don't really have a favourite episode....

The new movies are great so long as I keep myself from viewing them as Star Trek.  They are great movies (with a few exceptions), but terrible terrible Star Trek.

I am so looking forward to the new series :-D

On 2/29/2016 at 9:04 AM, CharlieInCharge said:

Any Star Trek fans? Yes

What's your favorite series? the original series

Who're your favorite characters? Spock

Favorite episodes? When Spock has to fight Kirk on the planet Vulcan

What're your thoughts on the latest movies/the new online only show? Liked the movies with the original cast members. 

TNG with DS9 a distant second.

Patrick Stewart could read the phone book and I'd listen to every second of it. Multiple times. That man is a dead set legend.

And for the phwoar factor, Riker (with the beard, not without). 

Favourite episodes usually involve the holodeck with role-playing involved.

I really dislike Q. And that horrible woman who played the doctor (not Beverley Crusher, the other one). Dr Pulowski ??

6 minutes ago, Blahblah said:

And that horrible woman who played the doctor (not Beverley Crusher, the other one). Dr Pulowski ??

Dr. Pulaski, Diana Muldaur. Yeah, not a keeper.

I have been binge watching TNG as a result of this thread and had forgotten how good that series can be.  So, at this point of my viewing Dr. Crusher has gone, then returned; and Tasha Yar has returned for a guest appearance.  I suppose they were fine-tuning the series, because the cast does start gelling as it goes through the seasons.

A couple of episodes I thought I'd mention:  Patrick Stewart reciting Shakespeare in the holodeck *shivers of delight* -- he is just the ultimate Shakespearean actor.   And the episode with the malfunctioning observation post (the anthropologists are studying a bronze age sort of culture) -- the philosophy of the dangers of blind worship of a deity is very interesting in light of the history of religion. 

2 hours ago, Blahblah said:

TNG with DS9 a distant second.

Patrick Stewart could read the phone book and I'd listen to every second of it. Multiple times. That man is a dead set legend.

And for the phwoar factor, Riker (with the beard, not without). 

Favourite episodes usually involve the holodeck with role-playing involved.

I really dislike Q. And that horrible woman who played the doctor (not Beverley Crusher, the other one). Dr Pulowski ??

Patrick Stewart I'm on board with, 100%. 

Not a Riker fan though, not at all. 

I once read that Patrick Stewart said he found it rather strange that more people saw him in one episode of TNG than had seen him in a 20 year mainly Shakespearian stage career!

Oooh yes, HUGE Star Trek fan. Original Series, Animated Series, TNG, and DS9, plus all the classic movies. TNG is my favorite series. Yes I have a cat named Captain Jean Luc Picard.  "Remember Me" and "Cause and Effect" and "Night Terrors" are my favorite episodes- I love a good space mystery plot. I too also love Worf. 

I remember Night Terrors mainly because the story was developed by a former co-worker of mine. She also wrote the story for another episode I can't remember and wrote the story and script for The Most Toys. 

I also liked the two-parters with Picard, one with the Borg and the other with the Cardassians*. Too lazy to look up the names.

* For the longest time, I had absolutely no idea who the Kardashians were. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why the Cardassians rated a Star Trek spin-off. Seriously.

43 minutes ago, sparkles said:

I remember Night Terrors mainly because the story was developed by a former co-worker of mine. She also wrote the story for another episode I can't remember and wrote the story and script for The Most Toys. 

I also liked the two-parters with Picard, one with the Borg and the other with the Cardassians*. Too lazy to look up the names.

* For the longest time, I had absolutely no idea who the Kardashians were. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why the Cardassians rated a Star Trek spin-off. Seriously.

Ah yes, Chain of Command, aka THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!

ETA I paid to stand in line and meet Patrick Stewart, who was absolutely lovely.

On 2/29/2016 at 0:21 AM, Gerialc said:

Any Star Trek fans?

• What's your favorite series? 
  • Who're your favorite characters?
  • Favorite episodes?

What're your thoughts on the latest movies/the new online only show?

Fan? Yes!

Favorite series?  Not sure I could pick.  I watched all of them (TOS in reruns, and missed bits of DS9 I'm sure), pretty much liked all of them.  With the exceptions of Star Trek V, which sucked, and the last episode of Enterprise, which I hate with a fiery passion and deny the existence of. 

I watched all of Voyager over the winter, thanks to Amazon Prime, and just started Season 2 of Enterprise this morning.  I'll admit, they both had issues with the writing at times, but most shows do.  Enterprise needed to clean up the Time War arc, I'm not fond of too much time travel, and effects-wise it wasn't as vintage looking at TOS,  but it was okay.  And I'm maybe the only person who didn't hate the theme song. 

(I will admit to being a Scott Bakula fan since Quantum Leap, and he's unfortunately had 2 series that I loved - until the last episode.)

Favorite characters:  Spock, Bones, Chekov, Uhura, and Sulu from TOS.  PIcard, because Patrick Stewart is freaking amazing.  Odo, Lwaxana, Paris & Kim, Archer, Trip & Phlox. 

The new movies are okay, as long as I don't think of them too much as Trek.  They're like alternate-universe Trek or something, at least in my mind.

Which new online-only show?  There's one called Star Trek Continues that I've heard a lot of good things about, but haven't tried yet.  James Doohan's son is Scotty on that one.  Then there's the Axanar (?) fan series that Paramount is or was suing over, which I'm out of the loop on.  And then isn't CBS planning a new network series for 2017? 

• 4 weeks later...
On Sunday, February 28, 2016 at 1:21 AM, Gerialc said:

Any Star Trek fans?

• What's your favorite series? 
  • Who're your favorite characters?
  • Favorite episodes?

I've been a huge Star Trek fan since TOS when it was in the first round of syndication. I would lay on the couch with my Grandma and watch it. I was so in love with Spock. That never changed....

I like all the series, though am least fond of Enterprise. Deep Space Nine is my absolute favorite, surprisingly, since it is the least "Trekky" of them all. I love that the characters often truly didn't care for each other, but worked together because they had to. Also, they had many episodes with moral quandaries and the characters didn't always take the high ground.

Favorite characters: Spock (TOS), Data and K'Ehleyr (TNG), Odo and Kira (DS9),  and Tuvok (VOY).

I have so many favorite episodes, here are a few:

• Unification Parts 1 and 2 (TNG) -- Spock on TNG, how can you go wrong?
  • Sacrifice of Angels (DS9) -- I love the model work on the Federation fleet trying to punch through the line to get to DS9
  • The last five episodes of DS9 -- They are really one long episode that show the horrors of intergalactic war and the importance of working together with an enemy to defeat a greater enemy.
  • Q2 (VOY) -- Q wants Janeway to help with his son
  • Carbon Creek (ENT) -- T'Pol tells a possibly fictional tale of Vulcans landing in Pennsylvania in 1957.

I'm not a big fan of the new movies, since they have decided to veer away from canon. I'm reserving judgement on the new series, though I'm annoyed that it is only going to be available by subscription, which I see as a big cash grab.

On a separate note, I'm so excited to be going to a Star Trek convention in Philly this summer. It's part of the 50th Anniversary celebration and several of my favorite actors are scheduled to be there!! I haven't been to a convention in many years, but had fun at the ones I attended in the past.

What's your favorite series?  TNG

Who're your favorite characters? I tend to like Captains (except TOS) and Doctors (Including Pulaski). All time fave is Jean-Luc Picard.

Favorite episodes? The Measure of a Man

The film makes me SO ANGRY. JJ Abrams obviously wasn't a fan, and not only did he not work to preserve essential elements, he filled the F***ing thing with product placements and lens flares and boobs.

• 3 months later...

I wanted to let fellow Star Trek fans (I won't get into the Trekkie vs. Trekker debate) know that the digital sub-channel H&I (Heroes and Icons) is now running all of the Star Trek series -- The Original Series, The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, and Enterprise!

In my area, TOS is on at 6PM Eastern, TNG at 7, DS9 at 11PM, VOY at midnight, and ENT at 1AM.

Here is H&I's wikipedia page, if you are interested in seeing what markets carry it.

Finding this out seriously made my day. I have to clear some DVR space!

1 hour ago, GreyhoundFan said:

I wanted to let fellow Star Trek fans (I won't get into the Trekkie vs. Trekker debate) know that the digital sub-channel H&I (Heroes and Icons) is now running all of the Star Trek series -- The Original Series, The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, and Enterprise!

In my area, TOS is on at 6PM Eastern, TNG at 7, DS9 at 11PM, VOY at midnight, and ENT at 1AM.

Here is H&I's wikipedia page, if you are interested in seeing what markets carry it.

Finding this out seriously made my day. I have to clear some DVR space!

I stumbled on the DS9 first episode sunday night and have been binging the first season on amazon.  I cant believe thats more than 20 years ago!

TNG is my favorite, with Voyager being a close second. I've seen all the movies and watched Bill get bigger and fatter and have more hair as he got older. He's amazing on Twitter and is fun to follow.

I like the reboot, and I am so sad that Anton Yelchin passed away. He was such a talented young actor with such a future ahead of him. 

When BBC-A replaced Dr. Who with STNG, that was nice. When I go to class in the afternoons, the dogs are in their crate watching STNG. :content:

I'm not sure about Discovery. It depends what it's up against. 

• 1 month later...

I thought I'd bump this since today is the 50th anniversary of Star Trek's premiere. I don't know if I've mentioned this, but I actually know the couple who started the letter writing campaign to get the original series back on the air.

5 minutes ago, ADoyle90815 said:

I thought I'd bump this since today is the 50th anniversary of Star Trek's premiere. I don't know if I've mentioned this, but I actually know the couple who started the letter writing campaign to get the original series back on the air.

How awesome that you know them!

It's hard to believe it's been 50 years. I've been watching my favorite episodes all day.

On Saturday, July 30, 2016 at 11:02 PM, anniebgood said:

TNG is my favorite, with Voyager being a close second. I've seen all the movies and watched Bill get bigger and fatter and have more hair as he got older. He's amazing on Twitter and is fun to follow.

I got to see Shatner (and many others) at a Star Trek convention last month. He was wonderful. It's amazing that the man is 85 years old. The only struggle he had was in hearing people who asked questions, even if they spoke into the microphone loudly. He was such a hoot, he truly owns being a big ham. The line for his autograph was quite lengthy and he was strongly encouraged to keep things moving, but he actually stopped after signing each person's item, looked up into the person's eyes, and said something to him or her. I really respected that.

Walter Koenig was also there, he turns 80 this month, but is doing quite well.

I've attached a couple of pictures because I just can't help myself...

IMG_1234.JPG

IMG_1220.JPG

• 2 months later...

The upcoming series is in the reboot universe? That makes me so sad. The reboot isn't real Star Trek to me. I can tolerate it - like it, even! - if I only view it as fanfiction. Abrams f'ed up everything that made ST, ST. 

Star Trek was about philosophy and moral conundrums and hard decisions....and yes,some boobs here and there. Abrams' universe is all sex-for-the-sake-of-sex and action-for-the-sake-of-lens-flares and rule-breaking for no good reason. 

Archived