IGNORED

John Shrader: Killing Snakes & Grifting Appliances for Jesus

happy atheist

Some of the churches were probably taken in by John's attempts at flying lessons and the plane he supposedly bought. At least that was something of a unique skill that could possibly translate into something useful. Of course, they've never so much as laid eyes on the mysterious plane and now it's been almost a year since John even sat in a cockpit. If that were his main selling point, I can see how churches would be particularly upset about all the money they've pumped into him thus far.

• Replies 874
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree. Growing up in the IFB, our churches saw a steady stream of missionaries coming through church looking for support. Many got support and many did not. Most of the missionaries blur together in my mind, but I DO remember that none of them came even close to being as incompetent as John.

Whether you agreed or disagreed with what they were doing, these missionaries had plans and many had already carried them out: some had medical training and backgrounds and were working to open clinics, some had teaching degrees/experience and worked in schools, many were pastors who had college degrees and experience with church planting, etc. Irregardless of their background, these missionaries were not lazy either. They knew the blood, sweat and tears involved to reach the people they were hoping to save and they were willing to sacrifice and spend years trying to accomplish what they felt their god was calling them to do.

John has exhibited none of these character traits at all. These churches are not fooled.

I also remember the missionary letters and these people weren't building Bible cases and buying themselves large refrigerators. If a person or church supplied something (like the plane or the paper for the printer) they would usually thank the people/church and mention how the item is being used. No matter how much John fluffs up his newsletters to make it look like he is doing something, it is going to be pretty clear that he is not being a wise steward of the money/supplies given to him.

If he washes out as a Missionary in the next 3-18 months, I suspect he'll end up as Assistant Pastor at Daddy Dearest's church.

If he washes out as a Missionary in the next 3-18 months, I suspect he'll end up as Assistant Pastor at Daddy Dearest's church.

I hope during the "welcoming service", the entire congregation marches out in a mass protest.

David Rea is in Zambia today. He is going to get things settled before bringing his family and apparently whatever happened with John messed up his ability to go to Zambia and he has had a struggle even being able to go.

Things changed with the connections we had to help us gain entry to Zambia due to situations unrelated

to us.

After exhausting every source I could think of (and I thought of MANY) God have given us four different organizations that

have expressed the desire to provide the paperwork we need for our work permit.

I

will arrive in Zambia on April 30, 2015. I plan to submit our paperwork for our work permits as soon as possible. I will also try to buy a small car that can be used while I am in Zambia on this trip and also as a fuel efficient vehicle for use once we arrive. I am told that the process of finding a semi decent car and getting it licensed and insured is very difficult thing to do.

I also plan to visit a number of cities from Lusaka through the Copperbelt with the purpose of identifying a property to rent for our home and the printing operation.

I am not sure when I will return, I am thinking 3-5 weeks. Once I return we will load the containers and fly the family to Zambia.

The printing ministry has put a financial burden on us in two ways: first in the acquisition of the equipment and second in the shipping of the equipment. However we are very excited about the ability to print literature in Zambia!

He wrote this about their financial needs:

The shortfall is just over $13,000. This includes shipping not only our person effects but all of the printing equipment as well. It also includes the purchase of a vehicle and the setting up of a home in Zambia. We have saved up close to $32,000 for the move thus far.

rea.teamzambia.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Spring-Prayer-2015.pdf

So who is going to get the Zambian printing ministry going first, John or David? The race is on and it might be why John started trying to raise money for his printing ministry.

That's kind of a staggering difference between Shrader and Rea, eh?

Securing visa paperwork before moving to Zambia!

Small, fuel efficient used car that's already in country!

Identifying homes to rent before moving the entire family!

Disclosure of fundraising needs with specific amounts!

I still think Rea is delusional re: his abilities to print in Zambia with equipment he purchased and shipped from the US, but he is much better at planning so far.

Sounds like David Rea is light years ahead of John as far as preparation (but seriously, a turkey could prepare better than John and would probably convert more souls). I think there is no question as to who gets their printing press going first - if Rea actually gets his going. As much of a waste his printing press will be, I really really hope that he gets it up and running just to snub John. Papa Shrader will have to work double overtime to get his sheeple to support the golden son.

And what is it with these missionaries not shipping their containers weeks - if not months - ahead of time?

Rea is the more typical missionary, he plans, doesn't ask for extravagant things and gives concrete information about his financial needs. Which is why I think John will get dropped soon because he just looks greedy compared to other IFB missionaries.

John would look greedy if he stood next to the greediest greeder that ever greeded.

I should know better than to drink coke while reading FJ. Thank you for this post. +1

What is it with this plethora of "printing ministries", both in the U.S. and abroad? Do congregations REALLY think that throwing their money at these so-called missionaries actually accomplishes ANYTHING???

Do they ever consider sponsoring a charity that actually DOES something for people, like Scott Harrison's organization charitywater?

No kidding. I'm still scratching my head wondering who in the world thinks it's okay to funnel funeral donations to a sibling when the deceased has immediate family? My opinion of these two could not be lower. John and his father are the absolute definition of bottom-feeders, and I'd say they should be ashamed of themselves, but I think the pair of them are narcissists who are incapable of feeling shame.

Say what? That funeral donations are going to John and not Sarah's family who no doubt will need it? I have no words....

You know, if Rick ends up not seeing his granddaughter in future years, it will not be a surprise.

Say what? That funeral donations are going to John and not Sarah's family who no doubt will need it? I have no words....

You know, if Rick ends up not seeing his granddaughter in future years, it will not be a surprise.

On top of that, they claimed that it's what Sarah wanted. :roll:

Welcome! I remember Shrader Friend claiming he had lived in that house, too. I'm still not sure what to think of it. I love it when FJers read and discuss old threads. *memories* And, fwiw, I think you should totally check out Papa Shrader's church. 8-)

Yes, your mission as a newbie is to visit and secretly video the goings on at papa's church. Should you choose to accept, you will be showered with amazing prizes donated by our sponsors.

Okay, I totally made that up but a report would rock!

Rae has an actual printing press instead of a fancy office copier. He has spare parts to fix the printing press once in Zambia. He is making plans, and getting things set up before he moves his family down. I hope he packs the container so nothing breaks.

I would love to see him succeed over John.

Yes, your mission as a newbie is to visit and secretly video the goings on at papa's church. Should you choose to accept, you will be showered with amazing prizes donated by our sponsors.

Okay, I totally made that up but a report would rock!

I wouldst try video. Too hard to hide.

What is it with this plethora of "printing ministries", both in the U.S. and abroad? Do congregations REALLY think that throwing their money at these so-called missionaries actually accomplishes ANYTHING???

Do they ever consider sponsoring a charity that actually DOES something for people, like Scott Harrison's organization charitywater?

Do you guys think they feel this is a legitimate need because a few of the old printing ministries have shut down? Or is this an easy think to do and fake outcomes?

On top of that, they claimed that it's what Sarah wanted. :roll:

They probably got very deserved raised eyebrows so what else to say but that the dearly departed person wanted it? But somehow I don't think so.....unfortunately it's not like one can call up and check.

Shameful. Both of them.

Maybe the printing ministries closed because there wasn't a need for so many in the internet and personal printer era. Have any of them done any market research to prove the need or is it they want to do it presented as a "calling?"

Thanks for answering my questions guys!

His father is as bad as him. Totally see him becoming associate pastor when he gets back at ricks Church. What I don't know is why he ever left?

Maybe the printing ministries closed because there wasn't a need for so many in the internet and personal printer era. Have any of them done any market research to prove the need or is it they want to do it presented as a "calling?"

It's not like they researched and found out that the majority of Zambians identify as Christian, so why should they care if printing is going the way of the dinosaurs?

I was just reading another blog about Zambia the other day, and the Christianity numbers came up there. According to that blogger, the reason missionaries want to go there is because people say they are Christian but also still believe in their traditional tribal religions to some extent. This person posted a pic of an advertisement for some type of spiritual ritual (not a Christian one) that included a cross, and said that type of blending is typical. Hence, the missionaries must go an set them straight in the type of Christianity to practice.

I would find it very funny if someone reverse evangelized them. Listen, Shrader, Christianity is fun and all, but you know what's more fun? Ceremonies where we get to dance around in awesome costumes and commune with the spirits.

I was just reading another blog about Zambia the other day, and the Christianity numbers came up there. According to that blogger, the reason missionaries want to go there is because people say they are Christian but also still believe in their traditional tribal religions to some extent. This person posted a pic of an advertisement for some type of spiritual ritual (not a Christian one) that included a cross, and said that type of blending is typical. Hence, the missionaries must go an set them straight in the type of Christianity to practice.

I would find it very funny if someone reverse evangelized them. Listen, Shrader, Christianity is fun and all, but you know what's more fun? Ceremonies where we get to dance around in awesome costumes and commune with the spirits.

Yes, blending and incorporating traditional beliefs with Christianity is very common -- and hardly limited to Zambia! You can see it in South America and, of course, historically in Europe wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Man, but here is an article about Sub-Saharan Africa. pewforum.org/2010/04/15/executive-summary-islam-and-christianity-in-sub-saharan-africa/

I think that Zambia is very flexible on allowing useless proselytizers like John S. into the country ( unlike some other African nations) thus its recent popularity with the IFB types. I wrote more about this theory on another thread. Perhaps the Voddie one? I'm too lazy to look.

I don't know anything about Zambia however in Kenya and Tanzania, which I have first hand experience with. Missionary (medical or religious) visa are only good for one year, annually the supporting organization must submit to the government that there is enough funds to support the person/s for another year prior to the visa to be renewed. If you apply for a business visa,which are good for 3 yrs, you have to submit financially statement that you can support yourself and any dependents that you have without becoming a burden to society (actual wording on Tanzania application).

It is odd, isn't it. I took a look at zambiaimmigration.govzm and searched a few other missionaries in Zambia blogs, ages ago.

John seems to need approved Form 4 and Form 23 to get residency and (what passes for) employment in Zambia. It is unclear how often they need to be renewed but other missionaries (e.g. LDS) talk about renewing their docs. annually.

From memory, other things John needed were:

1. A specific invitation/job offer from a Zambian national and proof that he has skills no national can provide and,

2. A written commitment from his Sending Church to cover all expenses during his residency in Zambia.

It is unclear that Shrader applied for and got a business permit. He only talked about residency and work permits. I could be wrong.

It is interesting that Rea is having problems with getting endorsements from "nationals." Also, very interesting that he isn't going to Kafulafuto either. Just some random town somewhere, TBD.

Rea does seem a lot more sensible than Shrader and at least provides some financial information. He's still a twerp of the highest order.

That said, I feel quite sorry for Rea. I hope he wins the battle of the useless printing missions handily as Shrader seems really to have screwed up poor David's plans!

From today's facebook, under a picture of boxes of paper.

30,000 Pieces of Paper!

The 12 cases of 5 reams each that you are looking at in this picture are now sitting in the hallway of the home we are currently living in waiting to be sanctified by having the Glorious Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ printed on them!. . .

So, see, he's not just doing nothing he's buying paper (Please, GOD, let him have bought it there and not paid to have it shipped!)

2 things made me say "hmmmm"

. . .the hallway of the home we are currently living in. . .

Are they planning a move soon? Did they move and not mention it?

and

The reams of paper are

waiting to be sanctified by having the Glorious Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ printed on them!

Seriously? Who talks or thinks that way. Most of this sanctified paper will be tossed immediately or used to start a fire or end up in a landfill.

Archived