IGNORED

Sarah Maxwell's Moody Books are Wonderful! Latest Post

kitandmike

I keep on reading about the sausage passage and picture... and I wonder if Daddy Moody/Maxwell will remove it from their page. Though that means admitting he reads here. :dance: HI STEVE!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I cannot believe that he is THAT oblivious of the exploding, squirting sausage. :lol:

Not one inpious thought ever enters the mind of Stevehova :worship:

You are all missing the point of the Moody books. They are not meant to be interesting books or inspiring books or thoughtful, memorable books. They are meant to fill a very tiny niche market: Christian homeschoolers who think the Maxwells have it all figured out when it comes to child raising. No drama, no naughtiness, no conflicts, no experience outside the white, middle-class, boring Maxhell that Sarah dwells in is allowed to besmirch the very pure world of the Moodys because that's the ideal world to the Maxwell lovers. So what if it is fake? So what if it is stultifying? For Stevehoval and his adherents the only important life is the one after death.

I hope your son will enjoy it! And you too :) Did you know that in Sweden, they printed banknotes featuring Nils Holgersson to honor the author?

http://www.reppa.de/images/av_gross/728596.jpg I think it's really lovely of them.

Those banknotes were great. I especially liked the one of Nils flying with the goose.

I'm not far in, actually to the point where Nils is flying on the goose. It is a great story already. Magic (ebil, I know), interaction between parents and Nils, and there was God (and it didn't scare me). A naughty boy getting punished in a way where punishment fits the crime without the use of plumbing line and a four hour beating session. I loved the wonderful image of flying over rural Sweden. A couple pages in and there is already depth of story and my mind is wondering what will happen next. And it teaches. While I'm guessing here, I think the story will end with Nils coming home more wise, more compassionate and more mature.

Thank you for the recommendation. I wish Sarah could read this.

A "guy work party" not to be confused with a "boy dance party"! :twisted:

[bBvideo 560,340:1ynfg1fz]www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MQzc6SQk_E[/bBvideo]

Came in here for this, leaving satisfied!!! :dance:

"That party last night was rockin'"

"Oh yeah?"

"Totally. SHEET-rockin'"

I think the "We are, yes" is meant to be in response to her question about whether or not they're Christians. It's just poorly parsed because...it's Sarah Maxwell.

Could just be a poorly placed "Dad agreed" instead of "Dad answered".

But the Maxwells are above proofreaders and editors....

Those banknotes were great. I especially liked the one of Nils flying with the goose.

I'm not far in, actually to the point where Nils is flying on the goose. It is a great story already. Magic (ebil, I know), interaction between parents and Nils, and there was God (and it didn't scare me). A naughty boy getting punished in a way where punishment fits the crime without the use of plumbing line and a four hour beating session. I loved the wonderful image of flying over rural Sweden. A couple pages in and there is already depth of story and my mind is wondering what will happen next. And it teaches. While I'm guessing here, I think the story will end with Nils coming home more wise, more compassionate and more mature.

Thank you for the recommendation. I wish Sarah could read this.

It's great to read you're enjoying it. (Greetings from Warsaw BTW). We flew Norwegian Airlines and right now they're featuring famous scandinavians on their tailwings. I was so hoping to get someone one of the writers I know since they feature Nils' creator, too. The cartoon series are available online, they are really beautifully done but they don't do justice of course. The books leave so much room for fantasy.

It's great to read you're enjoying it. (Greetings from Warsaw BTW). We flew Norwegian Airlines and right now they're featuring famous scandinavians on their tailwings. I was so hoping to get someone one of the writers I know since they feature Nils' creator, too. The cartoon series are available online, they are really beautifully done but they don't do justice of course. The books leave so much room for fantasy.

Yes, I love books when I can use my imagination I come up with wonderful things (although that imagination is bad when I read Stephen King) Things have been busy lately so a good book at the end of the day is a joy.

Hi to you in Warsaw!! One of our Rotary Exchange daughter was from Warsaw. (She was my son' s first crush). We still have some contact with her. We are trying to get a connection from our local high school and her mother's primary school so our big kids can work with her little kids with robotics. It's really exciting!

What is the weather there? We have snow, snow and more snow and it is -21 Celcius. Thank goodness I have 3 cats and a good book. What do you have there? But since it's after 2am, I hope you are tucked into your bed.

Edited grammar and stuff

The weather is GREAT, it's not too cold, just below subzero, it's fresh and crisp, we have a patches of thin layers of snow. Staying in a small airport hotel right now until the final flight - we can't sleep.

The room is very decently heated, that always helps make wintertime more enjoyable. : ))) Hi to you and the kittens!

I couldn't hold my curiosity and check out on the happenings in fundieland. We'll be leaving for the airport within 3 hours. But after that we'll be able to unpack and spend time with relatives. And, it's FRIDAY!!! Beautiful Sabbath ahead!

Happy reading!!!

The weather is GREAT, it's not too cold, just below subzero, it's fresh and crisp, we have a patches of thin layers of snow. Staying in a small airport hotel right now until the final flight - we can't sleep.

The room is very decently heated, that always helps make wintertime more enjoyable. : ))) Hi to you and the kittens!

I couldn't hold my curiosity and check out on the happenings in fundieland. We'll be leaving for the airport within 3 hours. But after that we'll be able to unpack and spend time with relatives. And, it's FRIDAY!!! Beautiful Sabbath ahead!

Happy reading!!!

Have a very safe flight. Have a beautiful and peaceful Sabbath.

Thank you! Partner brought up Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn. I think it's a great idea. Sorry about being so blabbery. Excitement and coffee.

Happy reading!!!

Hope you are safely at your final destination. Unpack, hug those relatives and sleep. Good Sabbath.

They made TAPAS for us!!! I mean for all of us but they know we love em. We're dead on our feet though, so it's bedtime now. 10pm. They were SUPER NICE, thanks!

Steve did brag that they don't read, they write. Perhaps this could explain Sarah's writing style.

:oops: That doesn't sound very humble *or very Christian. That sounds boastful. "You are very kind" "I know, right? Lol! Ain't it great to be a sweet and loving Christian among those unsaved assholes? We're quite a bit of a fresh air with our kindness, aren't we."

Yup, a badly written humblebrag.

ETA that I've read about 25% of the freebie book and have noticed that Mrs. Moody spends a HECK of a lot of her time alone in her room.

ETA that I've read about 25% of the freebie book and have noticed that Mrs. Moody spends a HECK of a lot of her time alone in her room.

As Poor Sarah is basically only capable of writing what she has directly experienced, I have a feeling that through the Moody books we get to see what life was really like when the reversals started to come along. I have a feeling Molly (or whoever the elder female moody child is) is Sarah.

As Poor Sarah is basically only capable of writing what she has directly experienced, I have a feeling that through the Moody books we get to see what life was really like when the reversals started to come along. I have a feeling Molly (or whoever the elder female moody child is) is Sarah.

From the little I've read, it seems like the Moody universe has always been like the Maxwell post-reversal world.

It's probably a set up for the next Moody book where Mrs. Moody is battling a long-kept secret Pepsi addiction. Once her headship discovers all the nooks and crannies full of heathen Pepsi residue, it will be "Rehab with the Moodys".

Or perhaps Mr. Moody is about as f*n in bed as Stevehovah probably is, and Mrs. Moody is just enjoying the toys that she ordered from a neighborhood Pure Romance party.

The whole freaking nap thing was a setup for Mom Moody's pregnancy announcement at the end of the book. The story ends at the end of the summer, and the due date is given as March. Seems Mom's been damn near comatose since the sperm hit the egg.

The whole book is oddly telling: it shows that Sarah's idea of a perfect mom is passive and withdrawn, and a perfect dad is judgmental and isolating. In the afterword, Sarah hastens to tell us what is based on reality, lest we accuse this fiction writer of making things up. And she's the "imaginative" one.

The whole freaking nap thing was a setup for Mom Moody's pregnancy announcement at the end of the book. The story ends at the end of the summer, and the due date is given as March. Seems Mom's been damn near comatose since the sperm hit the egg.

The whole book is oddly telling: it shows that Sarah's idea of a perfect mom is passive and withdrawn, and a perfect dad is judgmental and isolating. In the afterword, Sarah hastens to tell us what is based on reality, lest we accuse this fiction writer of making things up. And she's the "imaginative" one.

Even after Mama Moody has the twins, she's still hardly ever around. She's always in the other room nursing them, or taking a nap because they kept her up all night, or something. I haven't read the last couple of books, but in the ones that I have read the mom is very uninvolved.

Even after Mama Moody has the twins, she's still hardly ever around. She's always in the other room nursing them, or taking a nap because they kept her up all night, or something. I haven't read the last couple of books, but in the ones that I have read the mom is very uninvolved.

Im guessing Sarah was neglected as a child because of her mother's untreated depression?

The Moody books would be way more interesting if you read them from the point of view of a child inventing the happy smiley image to deny reality that their father is an abusive control freak and their mother neglects them because she is depressed. Sadly, that is how it is written, but Sarah doesn't realise it because she is that kid who is denying that her family is dysfunctional and that she was abused.

Sarah's writing is very flat and boring, but theres that unintentional subtext underneath it all that things are not right at all and actually the kids life is crap. It would be better if she did it intentionally, but she doesn't have the social skills or critical thinking ability to deliberately use symbolism and subtext in her writing. It would be interesting if someone wrote the Moody's to involve more obvious signs of neglect/spiritual abuse.

I think the fact that she gave the parents the name 'Moody' is very telling.

I think the fact that she gave the parents the name 'Moody' is very telling.

I wonder what the reason behind that name choice was... or at least, I wonder what she (through Stevhova of course) would *say* publicly about it.

Archived