IGNORED

Sarah Maxwell lays a guilt trip on people who are pro-choice

SPHASH

The " extremists" I was talking about were actually the pro-lifers because at least the ones at the Right-To-Life March are far more vocal. That would be why they seem to be winning the political pendulum at the moment. The Pro-Choice Marchers are barely a blip on the radar -- at least from what I see on-line or in the news. And since they seem to be losing almost all the battles -- it would seem that that's what the politicians are seeing too.

People who feel the most strongly, with the most extremist views, about ANY issue are the ones most likely to not only mobilize once - but to try to keep a sustained effort going. You aren't going to have a bunch of people who believe that ( for example) abortion should be legal in cases of rape, life of the mother, fetal abnormalities and electively in the first trimester out there waving picket signs -- even though when polled that's more or less what the majority of people believe.

Most people aren't going to have reproductive rights ( in either direction) as the primary issues that drives their votes. In polling, less than 20% of voters will only vote for a candidate who shares their views on abortion - about equally divided between pro and anti. The other 80+% are divided between it being one of several factors- but not a deciding one. And not having it be an issue that goes into their decision.

So it seems, to me, that pro-choice people would be getting a lot more buy in if they emphasized just how extreme and ridiculous the hard core right-to-lifers are. Like that many don't even believe in abortion to save the life of the mother. Or that some of them don't even believe in removing an ectopic pregnancy. Things that the vast majority of people disagree with.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish Sarah Maxwell were allowed to read them all, she could learn so much through your experiences.

I don't even blame her that much for posting that, hateful as it was - she might be 33 in years but in mental age she's far closer to a 5-year-old who's never yet set foot in school.

Agree with you!!

I am pro-choice. I have always have been. I have a few friends who are not that is fine with me, we just don't discuss the topic. I think that people who protest outside abortion clinics are nuts and should find something better to do with themselves.

The " extremists" I was talking about were actually the pro-lifers because at least the ones at the Right-To-Life March are far more vocal. That would be why they seem to be winning the political pendulum at the moment. The Pro-Choice Marchers are barely a blip on the radar -- at least from what I see on-line or in the news. And since they seem to be losing almost all the battles -- it would seem that that's what the politicians are seeing too.

People who feel the most strongly, with the most extremist views, about ANY issue are the ones most likely to not only mobilize once - but to try to keep a sustained effort going. You aren't going to have a bunch of people who believe that ( for example) abortion should be legal in cases of rape, life of the mother, fetal abnormalities and electively in the first trimester out there waving picket signs -- even though when polled that's more or less what the majority of people believe.

Most people aren't going to have reproductive rights ( in either direction) as the primary issues that drives their votes. In polling, less than 20% of voters will only vote for a candidate who shares their views on abortion - about equally divided between pro and anti. The other 80+% are divided between it being one of several factors- but not a deciding one. And not having it be an issue that goes into their decision.

So it seems, to me, that pro-choice people would be getting a lot more buy in if they emphasized just how extreme and ridiculous the hard core right-to-lifers are. Like that many don't even believe in abortion to save the life of the mother. Or that some of them don't even believe in removing an ectopic pregnancy. Things that the vast majority of people disagree with.

I'm glad to know that you were speaking of the hard core right-to-lifers and not the pro-choice marchers when you use the word "extremists". I think our conversation just shows how differently the lines are drawn depending on where you live.

I think we can honestly say we are pro-life as well, since many fundies seem to only consider heartbeat "life", ignoring the fact that QUALITY of life also counts - oh and a mother's life, as well!

I am married but childfree and intend to keep it that way. Although I do not like the idea of abortion myself, I am struggling to grasp the concept that birth control is not okay with fundies. First the ability to survive outside the womb with medical intervention was considered life (I agree with this one). Then it is the heartbeat. The egg attaching to the uterus wall. And then it is the fertilization. Having periods is infanticide as well, since we are women and born evil and inferior anyway, right?! O.o

I can't bring myself to call pro-lifers, "pro-life" or even "anti-choice", so I call them "pro-fetus". It's like all the ardent pro-life people just care about the fetus. It's like once the fetus turns into a baby (aka born), all of their impassioned concern for the fetus, magically disappears.

I can't bring myself to call pro-lifers, "pro-life" or even "anti-choice", so I call them "pro-fetus". It's like all the ardent pro-life people just care about the fetus. It's like once the fetus turns into a baby (aka born), all of their impassioned concern for the fetus, magically disappears.

They will march and protest for that fetus that is sheltered inside of a person's womb, feeds off of another person and doesn't need clothes, diapers, food, a roof above it's head, education and funds for their future.

I suspect the main event at the big marches in DC is a lot of giggling flirtation, interspersed with holier than thou moments and back to flirtation, among the HS kids. Possibly hookups among the older people. I think more than a few protests (against many things) boil down to a social event for the protesters. I suspect many of the young people in DC would view it much like Raquel viewed her Mission trip. A chance to practice flirting with strangers.

I suspect the main event at the big marches in DC is a lot of giggling flirtation, interspersed with holier than thou moments and back to flirtation, among the HS kids. Possibly hookups among the older people. I think more than a few protests (against many things) boil down to a social event for the protesters. I suspect many of the young people in DC would view it much like Raquel viewed her Mission trip. A chance to practice flirting with strangers.

Sounds like my church field trips back when I was in fifth grade. OMGGGGG, boyzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!11 We were especially interested in the big boys who were already 14!! Flirting or exchanging mailing adresses with an 8th grader was the biggest badge we could earn, it was one step up that little food chain of ours.

I'm really ambivalent about Sarah tho'. One day I pity her for being under his father's thumb at age 33, next day she shitposts from her high horse, condemning women who's life she has no idea about. I'm trying to cut her some slack, but I'd bitch slap her to the nearest women's shelter to wake up to reality.

They will march and protest for that fetus that is sheltered inside of a person's womb, feeds off of another person and doesn't need clothes, diapers, food, a roof above it's head, education and funds for their future.

It would be interesting to see good polling on the number of *hard-core Anti-abortion people are also against government funded safety net services. I don't think I've ever seen something that asks the same people their views on both issues.

*By " hard- core" I mean the ones who go to protests, write letters or are otherwise actively advocate for anti-abortion legislation and/or the ones who would vote for a ban in all circumstances. Or the candidates position on abortion is their primary consideration. --- I don't think a simple " do you consider yourself pro-life or pro-choice" would be a good distinguisher-- most people are more nuanced than that - and are probably likely to pick one phrase or another based on overall political leanings-- even if they hold the exact same moderate views.

Archived