IGNORED

Sarah Maxwell lays a guilt trip on people who are pro-choice

SPHASH

New post up. Sarah honey, if you don't like abortions, don't have one then! Oh wait you will never have one because you will never get laid because your daddy insists on keeping you childlike.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FTR I don't like abortion either but I do feel women should have a choice concerning their bodies, even if it's a choice I would not make. Birth control cuts down the abortion rate.

It took me many years of back-and-forth on the issue of choice, lots of research, reading, talking, supporting friends, and soul searching to reach my pro-choice position. Abortion never was and never will be just a black-and-white issue and intelligent, thoughtful and well-informed people–regardless of their position–should never treat it as such.

Sarah Maxwell has zero life experiences and has spent the entirety of her adult existence wrapped in cotton wool. She thinks and believes what she's told without ever questioning. She's never put herself in anyone else's shoes. She has no opportunity for examination, debate or critical thinking on ANY issue, let alone one as sensitive as abortion. Therefore, Sarah, STFU. Thank you.

It took me many years of back-and-forth on the issue of choice, lots of research, reading, talking, supporting friends, and soul searching to reach my pro-choice position. Abortion never was and never will be just a black-and-white issue and intelligent, thoughtful and well-informed people–regardless of their position–should never treat it as such.

Same here. Growing up I was told abortion was wrong. It wasn't until I was in the "real world" that I realized everything is not black and white, there are shades of gray.

At catholic high school we were loaded up on the bus for the pro-life rally in DC. We were told facts and at the time most seemed like the were probably true. I didn't question much and actually just liked going to DC more then the rally. It wasn't till college that I got a chance to spend a day at an abortion clinic. All the stereotypes were gone of teen moms or promiscus women vanished. Sara will never enter a clinic but I wish she would see the women are all ages and backgrounds, they can be married, over 45, have serious health problems, are in abusive relationships, there is not typical case. For those that are pro-life a rant on a blog or holding a sign is not the answer. Sara why aren't you babysitting for that single mom that choose life and is working 2 minimum wage jobs to make ends met, or help a mom on bedrest that has a serious health risk (besides your SIL).

Is this post supposed to mark some occasion? Or is it just the Maxwells being douchey again?

She is anti choice about everything else too. The chick has never had to make any choice, about anything, in her life.

Oh my goodness! So true! I really don't believe a few cells in the beginning are a person that matter more than the person carrying them. I just don't. Women first, unborn second.

The abortion debate is quite old, and I think we all know where everyone and their mother stands. A better debate would be at what age should Sarah stop being excused for her ignorant words and actions[because of her upbringing and continual sheltering]? 18? 50? 100? Never?

I haven't even read the post yet and can tell you Sarah has absolutely no position from which to issue an opinion or judge. She's a child who is sheltered from ever making adult choices and is told what to think about everything based on filtered information.

Sarah Maxwell, shut up about the abortion issue. Go back to what you know, which is almost nothing.

Sarah Maxwell has zero life experiences and has spent the entirety of her adult existence wrapped in cotton wool. She thinks and believes what she's told without ever questioning. She's never put herself in anyone else's shoes. She has no opportunity for examination, debate or critical thinking on ANY issue, let alone one as sensitive as abortion. Therefore, Sarah, STFU. Thank you.

this. this right here.

being raised in a fundie house, of course we were staunchly pro-life. i only ever heard that side of the argument. i never had the opportunity to meet with anyone facing that choice. i never really tried to put myself in anyone else's shoes, because it just didn't even occur to me. i was a child/teen with no real life experience to draw on. i didn't understanding working, i didn't understand paying bills, i didn't understand how hard it can be to make ends meet. i didn't truly grasp the responsibilities adults in general have, let alone parents who have the whole gamut of adult responsibilities plus that of raising a child.

it took a lot of thinking and rethinking after my breakaway from christianity. initially i was still pro-life. now, however, i definitely identify as pro-choice. even though abortion is not an option i would consider for myself, short of severe fetal abnormality or a threat to my own health, i understand that there are other women who have their own reasons for their choices, and those reasons are just as valid as any. and while i would like to see a child born, i would rather a fetus be aborted than a child born into a situation where he or she cannot be adequately provided for and taken care of. i've had to provide way too many records of kids who were abused to death, or kids who were abused and suffered such severe physical trauma that they will never fully recover. as i qc those records, i can't honestly say to myself that it was better that they were born.

sarah maxwell lives in a bubble where she will never encounter anything that is outside of her little normal. she will never encounter a rape victim who wants no ties to her rapist. she will never encounter a hard-working woman who can barely make ends meet as it is, much less bear the financial burden of a child. she will never encounter a mother with a fetus who has such a severe abnormality, it will not survive more than a few minutes outside of the womb. she will never get to see the dead body of a poor baby who was shaken to death because the parents weren't fit to raise a child and got frustrated at the constant crying. she will never see a child who was abused and abused and suffered such a severe brain injury that they are little more than a vegetable. she will never see anything like that. she will never be able to begin to comprehend squat.

Sarah, you know nothing of any issue so have no business trying to debate or convince others. You have never done a single bit of research on abortion, you just listen to what your dad tells you. You have never met anyone who has had an abortion, you have never met anyone who is pro choice, you have never met anyone who was raped, or had to abort to save their own lives, or had a much wanted pregnancy but found out that their baby would be born with severe disabilities and die a horrible death as a tiny baby, so decided to abort to spare them the pain. You have never spoken to anyone who has any different opinions to you, or read any statistics other than the ones your dad pulled out of his ass. I pity you Sarah for all of the life experiences and knowledge you will never get to have.

My MiL remembers Roe vs Wade. She said her sister got pregnant out of wedlock to an abusive drunken idiot. Since she grew up in the south as a christian and abortion was illegal nor did anyone support it, her sister tried to get rid of her pregnancy by drinking harmful chemicals and purposely trying to fall hoping she'll miscarriage. Sarah is a sheltered uneducated 33 year old(not her fault at all) taking orders from daddy. Listening to Sarah is like taking advice from a doctor who didn't attend any real schooling

Preaching to the choir here, and I'm sure it's been mentioned--but After Tiller is now available on Netflix (or was last year). I wouldn't expect it to change any minds, but I found it very moving/compelling.

I think after my TTTS experience, where we waited every day so long to see if we needed to do a ligation to save one of the twins if the other was going to die anyway, and having seen the other people who were having to make the same kind (if not even more emotionally devastating choices, because there was no hope that things would resolve) of decisions--regardless of my personal feelings about abortion...

I will NEVER EVER judge someone for having one. NEVER. Even if they were to say it was because they oopsied on their birth control. I cannot. I know that I will never understand what goes on in someone's mind when they are in circumstances that are at least partially beyond their control, with all kinds of moral and cultural shit on the line. (yeah, you can be the town bicycle and still wrestle with these things inside, it's not an either or thing). I wish that I could adequately express my gratitude and love towards the doctors who are willing to risk everything to keep providing this. I wonder sometimes if they don't suffer the same way I imagine a pediatric oncologist might. So many people coming to them numb/grieved/angry/panicked, ect. With the added bonus of bomb threats and fudamentalist terrorist organizations and people gunning for them literally or figuratively.

Now when I hear people moralizing about abortion and all that crap, it's hard for me to not want to punch them in the face. So I just speak up and when they say "I WOULD NEVER CONSIDER WHAT THOSE BAD PEOPLE DO!" I say quietly, "Well, now I know what you think of me." Amazing how all of a sudden in most cases, at least face to face, it is they then that wear that look of shame. Fuck you, people who speak without thought. You never know who might be listening.

Is this post supposed to mark some occasion? Or is it just the Maxwells being douchey again?

Well it was her birthday a few days ago. Maybe it marks the rapid decline of her fertility ;)

The Maxwells offer prayer to the "unloved and unborn" during their conferences. They don't offer prayer to the woman who has to make the decision to have an abortion. But then, they aren't willing to understand life outside of the Maxwell bubble.

I wish I could speak to Sarah and let her know abortion isn't a decision anyone wants to make. It's not as though women are running around getting pregnant just so they can have an abortion. I wish she could understand it's not as easy as promiscuity and sin.

My husband and I would like to begin trying to conceive again. However, I began having heart issues and was hospitalized last week for palpitations and a whole gamut of symptoms. Last week was the optimal time for me to conceive. I purposely refrained from sex after my release from the hospital because I was afraid I would need more testing and possibly surgical or chemical intervention. Thankfully we did refrain because my doctor started me on heart medication this week. I purposely abstained to avoid having to make that difficult decision, if I had needed surgery that would have threatened a pregnancy or some sort of medical intervention necessitating an abortion. Others aren't in that position. I'm guessing Steve and Family hasn't thought of situations like mine.

Quite frankly, I don't give a shit why a woman needs an abortion. If she seeks one out, I support her decision. I do care when people like Sarah Maxwell post ignorant tripe when they're in absolutely no position to make an informed, educated opinion on the topic.

If Sarah were raped and it resulted in a pregnancy, what would she do? First, she wouldn't tell anyone (well, STEVE wouldn't tell anyone) and then guess what? They would be faced with a choice. And they'd never tell anyone anything about it, but I'm guessing the abortion issue would become much more clear to them.

She is anti choice about everything else too. The chick has never had to make any choice, about anything, in her life.

Got that right! The only person who makes her choices is Steve!

If Sarah were raped and it resulted in a pregnancy, what would she do? First, she wouldn't tell anyone (well, STEVE wouldn't tell anyone) and then guess what? They would be faced with a choice. And they'd never tell anyone anything about it, but I'm guessing the abortion issue would become much more clear to them.

I think Sarah would have a quickie courtship and engagement resulting in a "premie" baby.

After I became pro-choice, I never understood why anyone would think it was a good idea to force someone to have a baby they didn't want. Talk about possibly dooming that child, in many and varied ways, from the start.

I think Sarah would have a quickie courtship and engagement resulting in a "premie" baby.

The bible is specific on this very question. Her father is supposed to make her marry the rapist. How would that feel, Sarah?

Archived