IGNORED

Happy Birthday Sarah Maxwell!

LadyPriss

It's going to be so sad when Stevie dies. Sarah (and most likely Anna and Mary) will be middle aged and have no clue how to survive in the real world. They will have to rely on their brothers to take care of them. :cry:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's going to be so sad when Stevie dies. Sarah (and most likely Anna and Mary) will be middle aged and have no clue how to survive in the real world. They will have to rely on their brothers to take care of them. :cry:

Oh, don't you worry. I'm sure Teri has already made schedules out for the next 50 years at least! She's a busy lady, you know!

What if the brothers WON'T take care of them? There are plenty of people in this world who claim to be good Christians, good Jews, good Muslims, good whatevers, and they won't do jack squat for their own relatives. Steve might like to think that his sons would never be like this, but he has no idea what his kids will do (or not do) once he's gone. In my experience, when the family dictator dies, the rest of the clan falls to pieces. They don't know what to do with themselves because they are so used to being told what to do, where to go, how to feel (or not feel), and what to think (or not think). Each brother will be struggling to hold his own self and his own family together, let alone take on one or more of his sisters.

I hope there is something that can help these poor Maxwell kidults learn how to function in the world after their parents die. They are pretty much children and are so stunted that it is going to be so hard for them, both coping with Steve and Teri dying, and having to learn how to do adult stuff.

We can't predict what any LORD will do in Sarah's life; Steve won't let anyone, deity or human, near her. As for what Steve will do in her life in 2015 - she'll be schlepped along on dog & pony shows, write blog posts with perfectly posted pictures, climb a 14er in Colorado with her mom & dad - and post more pictures. She'll clean and pack boxes and work on her brother and sister in law's home. She'll take more pictures as her siblings sing together somewhere, at the very least at the nursing home and the Christmas thing at the church. She'll take pictures of others baking for caroling in December. She'll take pictures of birthdays and neighborhood teas and post them on the blog to convince herself that her life is full of nothing but joy and happiness and smiles.

And pictures of babies born into the family cult, none of whom will be her's.

Oh, don't you worry. I'm sure Teri has already made schedules out for the next 50 years at least! She's a busy lady, you know!

The revised schedules will include polishing Steve & Teri's headstone or their respective urns.

I think if Steve died, Terri would revert back to her old ways of depression and Pepsi. Sarah will be her caretaker.

Maybe the animal crackers with frosting and sprinkles??

No, no, it's best to stick with just two crackers and omit the frosting and sprinkles. Sarah's metabolism is starting to slow down now that she's approaching her 40s and it will be harder for her to keep her girlish figure. Gotta start watching what she eats if she's planning to land a man!

Happy Birthday, Sarah.

If, by some chance, you actually get to read this, know that the World is not all evil and dangerous. There are decent, kind people all around, even outside of those who believe as you do.

There are joys to be had, there is work to be done, and so much to learn, that is beyond what your father has allowed, but that wouldn't threaten your precious goal of getting to Heaven.

It would be so wonderful if you actually got to live before you die.

God. Poor sarah and her eggs. Each year must sound like a death knell to her maternal instincts. Ding DONG!

Steve my man, please free sarah. And John. ( can I have John please. I promise he will call out to God often whilst in my care. "Oh god! Oh goooodddd!")

I remember turning 33 - I just watched episode of Friends where Rachel worked backwards her age, number of kids, marriage plan and realising she needed to have met her husband already.

http://friends.wikia.com/wiki/The_One_W ... urn_Thirty

That really resonated with me and I made myself jump back in the dating game, and within 4 years was dating, living with, engaged, married and had said child.

Poor Sarah. There must be some sense of life just passing her by and she's not grabbing at anything with gusto, risk, courage etc, whether that be travel, her own family, career, independence, anything.

I remember turning 33 - I just watched episode of Friends where Rachel worked backwards her age, number of kids, marriage plan and realising she needed to have met her husband already.

http://friends.wikia.com/wiki/The_One_W ... urn_Thirty

That really resonated with me and I made myself jump back in the dating game, and within 4 years was dating, living with, engaged, married and had said child.

Poor Sarah. There must be some sense of life just passing her by and she's not grabbing at anything with gusto, risk, courage etc, whether that be travel, her own family, career, independence, anything.

I think Sarah probably kept thinking that her age wasn't anything big, that her mate would come along. But there's something about 33 that glares right at her. Certainly at this point she's got to be having some private thoughts about what her future looks like. I do think the most likely scenario for her is that she marries a widower with children. Steve will somehow have a revelation that that is Sarah's purpose in life. That way, she really never actually has to have sex with the guy if he's already got his own kids and has an excuse not to have any of her own due to her "advanced" age and protecting the stability of his kids not having to deal with half-siblings.

In Honor of Sarah's birthday, I dedicate these well known poems to Steve, who promotes the fecund lifestyle for others, but not, apparently his daughter(s). Note, I don't have kids and am happy, one of my sisters never married, has no kids and is happy--but we had opportunities. We chose our lives, our dad didn't.

So, Steve with Sarah in mind, here are a couple of famous poems for you.

Robert Herrick. 1591–1674

To the Virgins, to make much of Time

GATHER ye rosebuds while ye may,

Old Time is still a-flying:

And this same flower that smiles to-day

To-morrow will be dying.

The glorious lamp of heaven, the sun,

The higher he 's a-getting,

The sooner will his race be run,

And nearer he 's to setting.

That age is best which is the first,

When youth and blood are warmer;

But being spent, the worse, and worst

Times still succeed the former.

Then be not coy, but use your time,

And while ye may, go marry:

For having lost but once your prime,

You may for ever tarry.

To His Coy Mistress

BY ANDREW MARVELL

Had we but world enough, and time,

This coyness, lady, were no crime.

We would sit down, and think which way

To walk, and pass our long love's day.

Thou by the Indian Ganges' side

Shouldst rubies find; I by the tide

Of Humber would complain. I would

Love you ten years before the flood,

And you should, if you please, refuse

Till the conversion of the Jews.

My vegetable love would grow

Vaster than empires, and more slow;

An hundred years should go to praise

Thine eyes, and on thy forehead gaze;

Two hundred to adore each breast,

But thirty thousand to the rest;

An age at least to every part,

And the last age should show your heart.

For, lady, you deserve this state,

Nor would I love at lower rate.

But at my back I always hear

Time's winged chariot hurrying near:

And yonder all before us lie

Deserts of vast eternity.

Thy beauty shall no more be found;

Nor, in thy marble vaults, shall sound

My echoing song; then worms shall try

That long-preserved virginity,

And your quaint honour turn to dust,

And into ashes all my lust:

The grave's a fine and private place,

But none, I think, do there embrace.

Now therefore, while the youthful hue

Sits on thy skin like morning dew,

And while thy willing soul transpires

At every pore with instant fires,

Now let us sport us while we may,

And now, like amorous birds of prey,

Rather at once our time devour

Than languish in his slow-chapped power.

Let us roll all our strength, and all

Our sweetness, up into one ball,

And tear our pleasure with rough strife

Through the iron gates of life:

Thus, though we cannot make our sun

Stand still, yet we will make him run.

I don't mean to make light of this issue, but the question of what would happen to Sarah reminds me of something I saw on a documentary.

So, there's North Korea, and people sometimes escape, and get to Seoul, South Korea if they can get out of China undetected without being sent back. But, once they get to South Korea, they don't know how to live in a modern world. They need to learn history properly, how to use computers and phones, ATMs, all the modern tech of the last 60+ years, and catch up educationally to the South Koreans. It's hard.

Seeing this problem, Seoul had a school built- Hanuwon (sp?). It's a school where they focus on teaching all the things the defectors need to know. Even so, the defectors never really "fit in" in the South- they have no idea what to do with freedom, when they have it, at least initially.

I'm imagining Sarah having this similar difficulty if she ever "escaped." But, there's no school to help her!

Hi Steve! If I can make this comparison and have it work, YOU ARE TOO CONTROLLING. Maybe I should call you Kim-Jong Steve?

Honestly, until Sarah is able to break away from her father's control and learn to think for herself, I hope she doesn't get married and have children. A husband would just be another person to control her, and I don't think she's in any shape to be raising a child right now.

Poor Sarah... of the few fundies I follow, she is the one who tugs on my heartstrings the most. We've had a few email exchanges over the years and she is always so sweet. In my opinion, the saddest part of her story is that by now, she's probably far more comfortable just staying at home with her parents than trying to find a husband and forge a life of her very own. She's been so brow-beaten and so very indoctrinated over the years that I strongly believe she only feels safe in the presence of her family. I know many other posters have already said these same things, and I'm just chiming in to say that I agree - it's a sad situation for a woman to find herself in in her 30's.

I honestly hope that she grabs onto any and all happiness that she can find in her mundane life serving Steveovah...

I don't mean to make light of this issue, but the question of what would happen to Sarah reminds me of something I saw on a documentary.

So, there's North Korea, and people sometimes escape, and get to Seoul, South Korea if they can get out of China undetected without being sent back. But, once they get to South Korea, they don't know how to live in a modern world. They need to learn history properly, how to use computers and phones, ATMs, all the modern tech of the last 60+ years, and catch up educationally to the South Koreans. It's hard.

Seeing this problem, Seoul had a school built- Hanuwon (sp?). It's a school where they focus on teaching all the things the defectors need to know. Even so, the defectors never really "fit in" in the South- they have no idea what to do with freedom, when they have it, at least initially.

I'm imagining Sarah having this similar difficulty if she ever "escaped." But, there's no school to help her!

Hi Steve! If I can make this comparison and have it work, YOU ARE TOO CONTROLLING. Maybe I should call you Kim-Jong Steve?

We should send Sarah there. Its not like living in Korea would be any weirder for her than living in America (except for learning the language), and being around other people who have come from a very controlling dictatorship would be the closest they will ever come to someone like them.

The Maxwells are so removed from society and American culture that its like they live in a completely different country. But unlike most people who move from one country to another, once they are finally given their freedom, by Steve and Teri dying, they will never, ever be able to go back.

I remember the bit Steve wrote long ago, in which Sarah was traumatized by something that happened to her at a friend's sleepover. Was it something horrible, like being molested or bullied? Was it normal kid stuff like sneaking a peek at a "dirty movie" on cable? Was it that the hosting family didn't say grace or do Bible time ? Whatever it was, Steve most likely mishandled it, blowing it out of proportion if it were minor. At 33, Sarah is probably still being reminded of What Happened That Time, and how things are So Much Worse Nowadays.

Sadly, for Sarah, Steve has made idols of many things - especially sheltering. The sheltering is a huge waste of potential and of life itself.

No, no, it's best to stick with just two crackers and omit the frosting and sprinkles. Sarah's metabolism is starting to slow down now that she's approaching her 40s and it will be harder for her to keep her girlish figure. Gotta start watching what she eats if she's planning to land a man!

(nodding) Sprinkles & icing aren't sufficiently God-honoring anyway.

Of course Sarah doesn't have to be reminded of her duties. She probably still wears a chore pack each day since she's still a 'child'.

I get the feeling that Sarah would be too scared to ever court and marry, even if Steve ever allowed it. I bet if a man approached and began talking to her she'd look at either Steve or Terie to speak for her.

Archived