IGNORED

Who is Peter Bradrick?

skankbiscuit

Ok, I mean I know who he is. What is his background, and why is he in so close with Dougie?

Is he fundie royalty? All I know is he sure is good at getting his wife pregnant - 4 kids in 5 years, right? And does Kelly come from some kind of fundy royal family?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't want to take time for linking now, but can do so if needed. Otherwise, teh Google is your friend.

In a nutshell:

Peter is the son of Michael & Susan Bradrick who are fundie, QF types. They have a business ministry called "Family Discipleship Ministries." They may have actually been around as such longer than VF but have ridden the same horse to market as Dougie et al. since their stuff also focuses on godly families, child beating training, QF, dominionist crap. Peter is #7 or so of about 9 kids. After finishing SOTDRT, Peter went to be a VF intern (first class!) & then became a "special assistant" or something to Dougie. Peter married Kelly Brown (daughter of Scott Brown, co-founder with Dougie & one of the faux preachers in the bogus National Center for Family-Integrated Churches movement) 5 years ago. The Peter/Kelly union is one of the more spectacular examples of fugly fundie boy marrying lovely fundie girl. They seemed to be placed to become the next Dougie & Be-All or something similar. Their relatively low profile at the moment also suggests that there may be some political aspirations for Mr. Peter although I'd think that the moment he opens his mouth that will be the end of that. He epitomizes the stunningly ignorant arrogance that only a male graduate of SOTDRT can display.

[Edited for typo]

Peter is a former VF intern, and holds a very special place in Doug's heart. Doug's blog posts from August 2006 include several rhapsodic passages about Peter and Kelly's wedding. Example:

"After the vows were read and the bride and groom pledged their troth to each other, they sealed their covanent with a kiss— a very special kiss, the kind you don’t hear about any more. A kiss of purity and innocence — a genuine first kiss.

As one of the men selected to officiate in the ceremony, I had the glorious, ringside seat to the very first romantic kiss in the life of both the groom and the bride. This is now the fourth or fifth time in my life that I have had the privilege of watching such a “first kiss†as an officiating minister to a wedding ceremony. Here are my conclusions:

First, these beautiful kisses are worth ten thousand sermons. They are an antidote to the cynicism of the age. They are instructive and inspiring. They give hope to mothers and fathers, young men and ladies, and the children we hope will also grow up in purity before the Lord. We are all better off as a community of saints when a pure woman marries a pure man. Our job as parents, elders, friends, relatives is easier, because of this godly example.

Second, these kind of kisses are victory kisses. Against all “odds†the couple has run the race to the finish line. They have won the first great race of their lives. Victory is sweet.

Fourth, they are also covenant kisses. They represent the blessing of God on the faithfulness of parents, their children, and the children yet to be born who will drink deeply from the testimonies of those who went before them.

Finally, they are biblical kisses. I call them biblical kisses because these kisses (as much as any part of the wedding ceremony, other than the vows themselves) restore the biblical imagery of the marriage covenant to its beautiful representation of the eternal, holy groom and his spotless bride. Body and soul, bride and groom have kept themselves only for each other."

Etcetera.

Good lord that's skeevy. I have a question. What happened to Petey's "security" organization?

Edit: Decided to use self help. bradrick.org and its gigantic countdown claims the site is launching in 4 days. Oh, the excitement.

Ew! :puke-front: That passage was... special. Dougie should write erotic VF fiction (gay or straight, whatever he prefers... ;) ) and sell it to lonely fundie wives. I didn't know Peter's story either (other than the fact his marriage was aesthetically unbalanced), so thanks for the info!

Peter is a former VF intern, and holds a very special place in Doug's heart. Doug's blog posts from August 2006 include several rhapsodic passages about Peter and Kelly's wedding. Example:

"After the vows were read and the bride and groom pledged their troth to each other, they sealed their covanent with a kiss— a very special kiss, the kind you don’t hear about any more. A kiss of purity and innocence — a genuine first kiss...

Etcetera.

This and others answers the question but I'll chime in just to say, reading this glurge from Doug about this wedding in particular is what got me googling around courtship and similar topics... which after a long chain of events led me here.

So I suppose he spread the word to me, but I'm pretty much just snarking it... :D

He's the one who speaks proudly of having wanted to marry "a sturdy girl" and finding such a one in lovely, if not very discerning, Kelly.

His story goes roughly this way:

Scott Brown and I were walking across fields and his daughter Kelly was with us. We came to a fence which Scott and I climbed. Kelly did no such unfeminine, immodest thing: She lay down on the ground, rolled underneath the fence, got to her feet and continued walking with us without missing a beat. I knew I had found a sturdy girl.

In the Junebug world, gallant men would have helped a lady encumbered by skirts to get over the fence gracefully, or the lady would have been wearing sensible, field-walking clothes to begin with.

But that's Peter, that's his world. Men climb, women roll. One would hope the children look more like their mother than their dad, so that if something should happen to Security Czar Bradrick on one of his hazardous, manly missions, Kelly will have a better chance of finding another husband to raise the kiddoes.

Don't mean to sound completely callous, but you know looks matter to these braintrusts. ;)

Kelly was also featured in the return of the daughter by the robotikinettes

Yes, I believe the story I paraphrased, above, is in one of the 'extra features' on that DVD. IIRC it was part of an interview taken a few days before she delivered Triumph P., the couple's first son, and that's mentioned on the DVD.

He also took great pride in never telling Kelly he loved her before they were married, right?

“I never told her ‘I love you,’ and I never told her she was beautiful,†explains Peter, “two things that I thought would insert an emotional flutter, an emotional element. I wanted to withhold before I made a commitment.â€

Apparently so.

Yeah, courtship is sooo much better than dating. What fuck nuts!

But that's Peter, that's his world. Men climb, women roll. One would hope the children look more like their mother than their dad, so that if something should happen to Security Czar Bradrick on one of his hazardous, manly missions, Kelly will have a better chance of finding another husband to raise the kiddoes.

It's a bit sad that Geneva Convention appears to be the spitting image of Petey...at least she managed to pick up some beautiful eyes from somewhere. And the ears are a Bradrick family trait. PB's brother has the same ones :shock:

Bless their hearts.

May I just say that I am *so glad* that my wedding was not stage-managed by ol' Doug??? Sure, I kissed my husband after the wedding, but there was no one to write a four-point essay critiquing said kiss. We just kissed, that's it. I can't imagine the pressure and stress these fundie couples must be under, having to live up to these asinine expectations. To me, what a couple chooses to do physically is their business. Kissing should not be held up for lascivious voyeurism to a crowd of their peers.

I mean, if they really want to do it properly, why not have a crowd of women put the bride to bed, a crowd of men lead in the groom, and then the whole lot of them stay in the room while the bride and groom have sex for the first time, "modestly" secluded behind bed curtains??? It would be more honest.

Guest Anonymous
May I just say that I am *so glad* that my wedding was not stage-managed by ol' Doug??? Sure, I kissed my husband after the wedding, but there was no one to write a four-point essay critiquing said kiss. We just kissed, that's it. I can't imagine the pressure and stress these fundie couples must be under, having to live up to these asinine expectations. To me, what a couple chooses to do physically is their business. Kissing should not be held up for lascivious voyeurism to a crowd of their peers.

I mean, if they really want to do it properly, why not have a crowd of women put the bride to bed, a crowd of men lead in the groom, and then the whole lot of them stay in the room while the bride and groom have sex for the first time, "modestly" secluded behind bed curtains??? It would be more honest.

And then the groom's mother waves the bloody sheet from the window, as proof that her son didn't get rooked.

Why not have "Lord Doug" get the first crack at the wife while you're at it?

(Hell, if that was the custom, all the wives would go to their marriage beds virginal.)

And then the groom's mother waves the bloody sheet from the window, as proof that her son didn't get rooked.

:lol:

I'm new here. I learned about Vision Forum for the 1st time last night on FaceBook. VF sounds like a cult to me, very scary people. I'm one of those liberal Catholics and other than watching the Duggars on TV I never knew about these type of fundies. Uffda, I've been to a lot of blogs and web sites last night and today. It's hard to fathom that people live like that. I did grow up with old order Amish neighbors and I respected them, and I can respect that people want to be fundies, I just don't understand why. I see the Amish living like they do more as a cultural thing, it's the way they've lived for 300 years or so. And some do leave. One neighbor left and is now a pilot for a major airline. Most of today's fundies seem to have come from a variety of faith traditions.

I read the kiss dissection by Doug. It was like, you've got to be kidding me. 8-) :roll:

Nell

? Sure, I kissed my husband after the wedding,

I kissed mine too but his breath was so bad from his being drunk the night before that it was a short kiss. :oops:

Nell

Welcome, NurseNell!

Yep, Dougie pretty much epitomizes the word "prurient."

He's the one who speaks proudly of having wanted to marry "a sturdy girl" and finding such a one in lovely, if not very discerning, Kelly.

His story goes roughly this way:

In the Junebug world, gallant men would have helped a lady encumbered by skirts to get over the fence gracefully, or the lady would have been wearing sensible, field-walking clothes to begin with.

Don't mean to sound completely callous, but you know looks matter to these braintrusts. ;)

This.

Although they bragg on their manliness and old fashioned ideals, I don't know of anyone who wouldn't have helped Kelly over the fence. Heck, I've offered my hand to people so that they can get down from high places. and I"m a short girl without any pretensions of being a strongly, manly, manly man.

My first thoughts coming to that fence would have been to help Kelly over. Maybe I would have suggested that we go to the gate or I would have told someone to stand on the other side while I helped her climb up. At the same time, I would have wondered why she was wearing a long dress in the first place.

What Peter doesn't realize is that particular antedote doesn't sound endearing. It makes him look like a jerk and makes the entire Vision Forum lifestyle look cultlike.

Let me get this strait, rolling in the dirt is more ladylike than showing less leg than you see on a trip to the store. Ugh. THese people are idiots.

fundiefan wrote:

He also took great pride in never telling Kelly he loved her before they were married, right?

Quote:

“I never told her ‘I love you,’ and I never told her she was beautiful,†explains Peter, “two things that I thought would insert an emotional flutter, an emotional element. I wanted to withhold before I made a commitment.â€

What???? He didn't say "I Love You" until marriage?? That is ridiculous. As for the emotional aspect...hello...relationships are emotional!

What???? He didn't say "I Love You" until marriage?? That is ridiculous. As for the emotional aspect...hello...relationships are emotional!

It makes him sound as if he is buying a horse and not entering into a relationship with a human being who has feelings and thoughts. His approach to finding a bride is too emotionless for me.

For a second, I didn't see snark and I thought that this was actually done by our friends over at VF... be right back, vomiting.

Archived