IGNORED

Maxwell/Tits2 post: how many mistakes can YOU find?

Marian the Librarian

"We haven’t caught you up on a work project at Joseph’s house for awhile. He gutted his basement about a year and a half ago, but with his blossoming relationship with Elissa last year, well, that got put on hold.

Dad wired last Saturday, while Joseph finished framing things out. They also enjoyed great fellowship in the process. We Maxwells love work projects–you get something worthwhile accomplished while fellowship. Talk about great teamwork!"

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question for extra points: How long will it take Steve/Sarah to correct her English?

How long until Steve admits their writing really would be better if they employed an editor? (That one's easy: never).

I wonder which family member wrote this? I didn't see a name at the end of the post. If it was Abby, I would say she did pretty well. If it was anyone from Bethany on down, I'd say the child is a genius. Unfortunately, the author probably wasn't a small child. I don't think it was Sarah, either. She usually signs her posts and her writing isn't that bad!

"We haven’t caught you up on a work project at Joseph’s house for awhile. He gutted his basement about a year and a half ago, but with his blossoming relationship with Elissa last year, well, that got put on hold.

Dad wired last Saturday, while Joseph finished framing things out. They also enjoyed great fellowship in the process. We Maxwells love work projects–you get something worthwhile accomplished while fellowship. Talk about great teamwork!"

CORRECTION:

It has been several months since we last provided an update on how the renovations in Joseph's basement are proceeding. Naturally, Joe has been occupied in building a relationship with his new wife, and so the basement has not been a priority for him.

After awhile, however, Joe recognized he would have to complete the basement at some point. While working on framing, he received a call from our father who then went over to help with the labour.

This provided them with a perfect opportunity to spend uninterrupted time together, catching up on personal news and even engaging in meaningful theological conversation while they worked. (Everybody is doing to DIE (!!!), after all; by the grace of God, father and son were able to make new memories on this day.)

We are happy with the results, and highly recommend that other families consider working on shared projects even if for no other reason than the common experience.

Shouldn't is also be "a while"?

A while is a noun meaning “a length of timeâ€

“I slept for a while.â€

– (compare with “I slept for a bit†and “I slept for three hoursâ€)

“I was away from my desk for a while.â€

– (compare with “I was away from my desk for two minutesâ€)

Awhile is an adverb, meaning “for a time,†or literally, “for a whileâ€.

“I slept awhile before dinner.â€

(compare with “I slept deeply before dinner†and “I slept badly before dinnerâ€.)

I can never get these straight in my head :pull-hair:

My seven gear old son writes similar to Sarah when he does a book report or a retell.

It astounds me how poorly the maxwell writing is. Thanks for editing it, Burris!

I wonder which family member wrote this? I didn't see a name at the end of the post. If it was Abby, I would say she did pretty well. If it was anyone from Bethany on down, I'd say the child is a genius. Unfortunately, the author probably wasn't a small child. I don't think it was Sarah, either. She usually signs her posts and her writing isn't that bad!

It's at the top, and it was Sarah.

I actually feel like her writing is get worse as time goes on.

Could her writing becoming worse reflect a lost of interest?

EDIT: I'm not a good proofreader, so I wasn't going to even try. I did spot this:

"Dad’s wiring the storage room here."

I like how "Dad wired last Saturday."

I did not know days of the week could be electrified!

:roll:

I like how "Dad wired last Saturday."

I did not know days of the week could be electrified!

:roll:

I was thinking he sent money or a message electronically.

I think Sarah meant that "While Joe worked on the framing, dad worked on the wiring."

Shouldn't it be, "Last Saturday, Dad did the wiring and Joseph finished the framing." ?

We Maxwells love work projects–you get something worthwhile accomplished while fellowship

In Maxwell-speak...while fellowshipping.

In normal-world speak .... while spending time together.

When Headship and myself work on home improvement projects together, there's not much fellowshippong going on - rather, there's a fair amount of cussing and meaningful exchanges to the tone of "can you grab me the medium-sized Phillips screwdriver with the red handle?" and "you missed a spot". I guess we're not as special as the maxwells.

Even if Steve is too cheap to hire a proofreader, a great way to get a better understanding of language and grammar is to let your kids READ! Every time I think about the fact that Sarah is somehow supposed to be an author while only ever having read the Bible and maybe some textbooks, I cringe.

So it is Joseph's house? Does it not belong to Elissa too? Or was she not added to the title when they married?

I don't know if she was added to the title. But I also don't think Steve would allowed that to happen.

I don't know if she was added to the title. But I also don't think Steve would allowed that to happen.

Yes, she was. Someone pulled the titles. Christopher was the only one without a helpmeet on his.

Joseph gutted his basement 18 months ago while he was reeling from being dumped (almost) at the altar by Elizabeth. And like most men, he immediately went on the rebound, found Elissa, and abandoned his basement project.

And don't forget, Stevie is fasting today, so I'm guessing we can get away with talking about anything and he won't see it until at least Monday. So let's get those blog edits all in now so he's got plenty to read when he comes here after his fasting and (undoubtedly) subsequent reflection.

When Headship and myself work on home improvement projects together, there's not much fellowshippong going on - rather, there's a fair amount of cussing and meaningful exchanges to the tone of "can you grab me the medium-sized Phillips screwdriver with the red handle?" and "you missed a spot". I guess we're not as special as the maxwells.

That should read, "Headship and I." Hey, we have to hold ourselves to the same standards we hold the Maxwells. ;-)

(Now as the world's worst typist, I expect you all to correct every typo.)

Edited because I initially quoted the wrong post.

Yes, she was. Someone pulled the titles. Christopher was the only one without a helpmeet on his.

Thanks for the information!! Didn't mean to jump to a conclusion.

I suppose I'm the only one who has an evil mind. I was thinking this was going to be about breasteses.

Maxwell/Tits2 post: how many mistakes can YOU find?

I was thinking he sent money or a message electronically.

I think Sarah meant that "While Joe worked on the framing, dad worked on the wiring."

I was thinking it might be "Dad was wired on Saturday", but that sounds like FUN, which equals DEATH, so...no.

That should read, "Headship and I." Hey, we have to hold ourselves to the same standards we hold the Maxwells. ;-)

(Now as the world's worst typist, I expect you all to correct every typo.)

Edited because I initially quoted the wrong post.

I understand it's all in the spirit of fun and games, but English is not my first language.

Archived