IGNORED

Chris Maxwell photography California weddings

WonderingInWA

Odd1, it looks like he's sucking on her tit and sticking his hand up her backside.

This photo well and truly illustrates what's been said many times before: that Christopher has absolutely no eye for moments.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Odd1, it looks like he's sucking on her tit and sticking his hand up her backside.

This photo well and truly illustrates what's been said many times before: that Christopher has absolutely no eye for moments.

Haha! No, he definitely doesn't.

And this one....

My guess is that the sweeper is a friend or family member who's helping set things up, and the bride and groom will actually like having a photo of "Uncle Joe" helping out.

My guess is that the sweeper is a friend or family member who's helping set things up, and the bride and groom will actually like having a photo of "Uncle Joe" helping out.

My take, given Chris' explicit fandom of "photojournalism" style photos, is that any "cleverly different" view of the event -- including the behind-the-scenes things like showing others taking photos, or showing those setting up beforehand or cleaning up afterwards, is favored. Basically anything that breaks "the fourth wall". And I can't say that I dislike it either, although I've never hired a photographer or had to stop and think about what style I wanted. Since he's been hired, he ought to be doing what the couple wants for their wedding photos.

Coincidentally, just yesterday we just took in a job for a new client who happens to be a wedding photographer so we've all been having a blast comparing Christopher's work to his. While I can't say I'm totally in love with New Client's style (some of the photos are a little too slick and almost look like high-end magazine ads rather than wedding photos) but when you look at his work next to what Christophers, we're not even comparing apples to oranges. More like apples to squid–-nowhere near the same class. New Client has the eye and the sense of the moment that Christopher sorely lacks. Photography is an artistic endeavor, one that requires talent and an innate understanding of life around you, as well as skill. Christopher possesses none of those qualities, and even if he did, he'd never be encouraged to use them in anything more than a superficial manner. The Maxwells just observe life, they don't want to live it.

Honestly though, I'm sure Christopher's clients don't know any better so they probably think he's a regular ol' fundie Avedon.

I once did the design and layout for a school yearbook. Took over half the pictures that were in it, too. I had to learn everything on the fly, was nearly constantly in tears due to pictures getting lost or not coming out at all, and had no real clue what I was doing.

I took a look back through that yearbook, and nearly every pic in it looks really good. Shots were properly centered, no clutter in them, no blurry backgrounds, and the spreads were tastefully arranged.

I did all this with very little help. I was not paid. I've looked through all of Christopher Maxwell's galleries, and I can honestly say that he ought to be ashamed of himself. He's charging a fortune for sloppy, unprofessional work. I put together a book of pictures, none of them professional on any level and targeted toward a group of school kids and their parents, and always paid close attention to the finer points of photography. Why couldn't he be bothered to do the same?

I'm not even sure how he manages to find work. If I needed photos for any professional event, one look at his galleries would tell me all I needed to know. I wouldn't hire this guy, and can only assume that most people who do must be pretty damn desperate for a last-minute fundie photographer.

My take, given Chris' explicit fandom of "photojournalism" style photos, is that any "cleverly different" view of the event -- including the behind-the-scenes things like showing others taking photos, or showing those setting up beforehand or cleaning up afterwards, is favored. Basically anything that breaks "the fourth wall". And I can't say that I dislike it either, although I've never hired a photographer or had to stop and think about what style I wanted. Since he's been hired, he ought to be doing what the couple wants for their wedding photos.

I have been trying to justify the shots that I have seen and I understand what you mean. For example the infamous fan shot could remind the bride of how hot and airless it was in her changing room. However there are many that are just inexplicable such as the tongs close-up or the shot where another photographer is awkwardly ducking out of the shot. The endless shots of parking lots. What memories are these going to evoke-- especially if you have already included one of the get away car? The amazing thing to me is that he includes them in his galleries on his web page so he must think them worthy of interest.

Anybody who looks at his galleries and then hires him deserves what they get: amateur work devoid of interest or artistry.

Looking at Christopher's photos, I think he's not the main photographer at many of these weddings. I think they hire real photographers and he might be there as a guest & takes some shots & tries to pass them off as photographing the wedding in his crappy gallery. Maybe that's why the people in photos aren't looking at his camera.

I wouldn't pay him for his photos. They suck.

I can't believe both Bethany and Rachel Wissman used him as photographer for their weddings. They have a lot of people in their family's circle who are good enough with photography. I guess you don't always want to hire someone you know in case there is a problem and it would be uncomfortable.

Thanks to you, 16strong, I've been giggling all afternoon over this comment.

I think the reality is much, much worse: He set the photo up and had the woman pose. With a vacuum. For wedding photos.

Well, think about it - to the Maxwells, posing for pics while cleaning is just What They Do. Every day. All day long. He probably thinks this is the most normal thing in the world.

Me, I wonder what SHE was thinking!

Heh. I was going to say similar to you! Gotta love the woman in the pew also getting a good shot of the action...

Looking at Christopher's photos, I think he's not the main photographer at many of these weddings.

Definitely the one with John(?) holding up that big reflector thing (you can tell I'M no photographer!) and the couple obviously focusing together in a pose for someone else feels that way. Also wasn't there a woman with a fairly professional looking camera at the Joseph/Elissa wedding?

The pictures of regular attendees taking pictures with their vacation type cameras are not too crazy, I don't think, but he sure does like to take a ton of them, doesn't he?

So far my unfavorite has to be the dress hanging in the bathroom with extra plastic hangers in the way though (posted way upthread). That picture would be SO easy to fix, and it's not even about the camera, just clean up the actual room a bit first!!

Someone up thread so they suspected that Steve chose photography for Christopher's career, and that Chris it really isn't into it. It occurs that his stringent requirements to accept a job (no drinking nor dancing, no second marriages even for widows) may be part of his own ploy to decrease the number of jobs he takes.

I pitched my wedding album but I remember that it had what was important to me - photos of us, our families and friends. In fact, I'd've preferred more photos of guests -- if things had gone differently. But I don't want to digress. It never occurred to me to have a photo of the dress on a hanger taken. Why would I wanna meditate on that in my old age?

I think he's about to pick her up. Because fundie brides apparently lose the ability to walk right after they tie the knot and must be carried out of the church.

This is just another example of how Clueless this guy really is.

Yes, it seems like he wanted an shot of the groom in the process of picking up the bride. However, he missed the shot. Nothing wrong with that, it was an action that took a matter of seconds, he got the wrong second. Any photographer could have. HOWEVER, most photographers would have tossed the photo and NOT put it up on their website used to solicit business. Add "inability to edit" to the list "photojournalist" skills Christopher does not have.

I have been trying to justify the shots that I have seen and I understand what you mean. For example the infamous fan shot could remind the bride of how hot and airless it was in her changing room. However there are many that are just inexplicable such as the tongs close-up or the shot where another photographer is awkwardly ducking out of the shot. The endless shots of parking lots. What memories are these going to evoke-- especially if you have already included one of the get away car? The amazing thing to me is that he includes them in his galleries on his web page so he must think them worthy of interest.

Anybody who looks at his galleries and then hires him deserves what they get: amateur work devoid of interest or artistry.

I agree. It seems that he has prioritized "breaking the fourth wall" over having pleasing photos that actually document the formal event and also evoke good memories of the day. Even if that "behind the scenes peek" is what the couple wants (or thinks they do), they still certainly want the photos to be pleasing and memory-worthy, and he doesn't succeed at that.

This is just another example of how Clueless this guy really is.

Yes, it seems like he wanted an shot of the groom in the process of picking up the bride. However, he missed the shot. Nothing wrong with that, it was an action that took a matter of seconds, he got the wrong second. Any photographer could have. HOWEVER, most photographers would have tossed the photo and NOT put it up on their website used to solicit business. Add "inability to edit" to the list "photojournalist" skills Christopher does not have.

Absolutely. That is the kind of shot that a skilled photographer would have filmed using auto-shoot, or whatever it's called -- basically shot after shot after shot, almost like taking video, so that you have many still photos to choose from during an action sequence, so that you can trash the ones that didn't "capture the moment" and still have one or more that does...

Looking at Christopher's photos, I think he's not the main photographer at many of these weddings. I think they hire real photographers and he might be there as a guest & takes some shots & tries to pass them off as photographing the wedding in his crappy gallery. Maybe that's why the people in photos aren't looking at his camera.

I wouldn't pay him for his photos. They suck.

I don't think so. First of all, I just don't think that would fly in the fundie world. I know it is hard to get your head around it, but I think he stages the shoots that way. He sets up formal shots then lets others take snapshots (mom, friend, etc.) and then shoots the way the couple looks when uncle jerry is taking a shot with his cellphone. I read a bunch of his stuff and seriously think that is it. It is photojournalism don't you know

Well, shooting a wedding in the Maxwell philosophy may well be targetted at making the people remember it as more or less just another day... yeah, they had cake and they and maybe even some of their friends dressed up, and now they can have sex but really, it was still a day that required swept floors, ironing, plastic hangers and fans from K-Mart. Because otherwise, marriage, and most of all weddings, might become an idol.

When really it is just two sinners who are eventually going to die marrying so they won't burn....

Absolutely. That is the kind of shot that a skilled photographer would have filmed using auto-shoot, or whatever it's called -- basically shot after shot after shot, almost like taking video, so that you have many still photos to choose from during an action sequence, so that you can trash the ones that didn't "capture the moment" and still have one or more that does...

We've established that he's a big fakety faker and has no talent for photography, but why does he take photos of people filling their plates at the buffet, like this or this? They completely lack any context. If they weren't on a whole page of wedding photos, they could be a birthday party or a July 4th picnic. Seriously, when I look at someone's wedding album, the last thing I want or expect to see is a plastic plate full of salad. :?

We've established that he's a big fakety faker and has no talent for photography, but why does he take photos of people filling their plates at the buffet, like this or this? They completely lack any context. If they weren't on a whole page of wedding photos, they could be a birthday party or a July 4th picnic. Seriously, when I look at someone's wedding album, the last thing I want or expect to see is a plastic plate full of salad. :?

I think his personality or upbringing has made him more comfortable with objects and he relates to them better. Judging from the pictures, I don't think get really understands or gets emotions. Maybe he scared of them because they are real. Not the repressed smiles for Stevehovah.

He was brought up to worship his father, make an idol out of their family, received minimal schooling and has had little unsupervised contact with "outsiders". I doubt he's even looked at photography books or exhibits. (Due more to his own arrogance than to "modesty".) His family fawns over him telling how wonderful he shoots...

No: this is Godly Motorboating, which is A-OK now that the couple is married--I mean, now that Authority Has Been Transferred.

I got a flash of inspiration: these are the photographs that would be taken if the camera was just invented and nobody had ever seen a photograph before. Then each image would become a thing of wonder and awe. So maybe that is why Christopher works this way-- because he has had so little exposure to photography outside the family snaps. No magazines, no internet, no coffee table books. I feel for him because it is very difficult to become an artist without any previous exposure to art.

I was reading an article in the online version of the San Francisco Chronicle -- an article about how the Golden Gate Bridge is closed this weekend while they install a new system of barriers between the northbound and southbound lanes. In the past they used these yellow plastic pylons to mark the line between the directions, and now they're switching to this safer system.

So I'm scrolling through the photos showing pieces of the new system, and workers getting things ready, and people on the sidelines watching, etc.

Then this photo comes along:

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Golden-Gate-Bridge-closed-but-traffic-keeps-6006858.php#photo-7372052

and all I could think is what a Christopher style photo this is... :lol:

Except, of course, in context, this photo is fine -- just one among a series of more typical photos. Besides which, oh yeah, this isn't someone's wedding... :doh:

Archived