IGNORED

What's for Dinner- Part the third

keen23

Tonight it's store bought nigiri triangles stuffed with .. all kinds of stuff, fresh raspberries for dessert, yesterday I cooked a large pot of ratatouille and the bell peppers were perfectly cooked (not too soggy but not too raw) really juicy so we dunked rye bread in it and it was really filling, followed by caramel Ghirardello squares, tomorrow's dinner will be somewhat less easy to digest, oven baked, stuffed portobello mushrooms with one striped of crispy bacon over each mushroom head. Key lime cheesecake for dessert.

Stuffed chicken and new potatoes smothered in cream and rosemary. Also, thanks for the plain breadcrumbs that I got in a box of "stuffing". The pigeons loved it. I just sighed, and whipped up stuffing from scratch.

Last night, I had a salad of arugula, oranges, red onion, Kalamata olives, and almonds, with some flatbread to soak up the dressing.

Tonight I am going out to a place that specializes in Indian street food. And this weekend I am going to a class on mushroom foraging-- how to do it safely, and what to make with the results.

Mushroom foraging class! I want to come, RachelB. My Dad is an avid morel hunter come springtime, and he just sort of learned about which mushrooms are OK to eat where we're from and which ones weren't. (probably from his Dad)

When I lived farther north than I do now, he would overnight me some morels every Spring. Now it's too hot and they turn to mush by the time they get to me.

We went out for dinner to a new-to-us Latin American/Tex-Mex place. Fried plantain cake thingies with guacamole and black beans to start. I had a frozen margarita/sangria concoction; MrDrPusey had a beer. I had mushroom enchiladas with red mole sauce for an entree; he had grilled salmon with some kind of agave glaze.

It was all tasty. :)

It was fun, Dr. Pusey, but I am lucky The Partner found such awesome stuff (a few chanterelles, some horn of plenty, and black trumpets), because I found only inedible stuff. However, I traded a large bag of mushrooms used for dyeing fabric for a single, fragrant hedgehog mushroom, to be enjoyed sauteed in butter with garlic.

Tonight I had a low bandwidth night-- tortellini, peas, and kale in tomato broth. Not bad for things that came mostly out of the freezer.

Vine leaf wrapped rice. From Greece. Why do I always discover the best stores 2 days prior to leaving a country? This food is hard to find in even Europe unless you're visiting one the Balkan area.

Is 4 pounds of them (I paid 8 dollars for it) gonna be enough to feed 2 people? :lol:

Oh, I also found fresh eggplant puree cooked with red olives. I forgot the name. It was served with sticky rice and it made a delicious meatless meal. Mediterranean food for life! I have to find the recipe to it.

I made aioli from scratch, it was pretty awesome. I ate a burger and baked fries. I put a bit too much lemon though. I wish I could send it to you quiverfull! Some pretty awesome ideas. I bought big Lima beans to try and make gigantes (thanks Rachel).

:crying-pink:

:big-heart:

:romance-wub:

Oh, I also found fresh eggplant puree cooked with red olives. I forgot the name. It was served with sticky rice and it made a delicious meatless meal. Mediterranean food for life! I have to find the recipe to it.

Is eggplant puree less acidic than regularly cooked eggplant? I have a geographic/cracked tongue and cannot handle acid (if anything has the hint of onion burns my tongue) (also this is reallly bad bc I put lemon on just about everything). I like eggplant but after 2 bites I'm crying so I'm wondering if pureeing it would help :)

Is eggplant puree less acidic than regularly cooked eggplant? I have a geographic/cracked tongue and cannot handle acid (if anything has the hint of onion burns my tongue) (also this is reallly bad bc I put lemon on just about everything). I like eggplant but after 2 bites I'm crying so I'm wondering if pureeing it would help :)

It was definitely very acidic. I usually serve herbal tea with acidic meals to prevent heartburn. I wish I had good news for ya, that food was a delight. Have you ever tried adding baking soda to your food? I wish I could help more. We love pickled/vinegary/or naturally acidic stuff and we can handle it with the aid of some alkaline drink, like herbal tea. (Like, the same way I always serve quality mint tea like moroccan mint to prevent gases when I serve cabbage or beans :embarrassed: )

My headship cooked tonight and made a beef curry. Unfortunately he didn't read the instructions before making it. I added nearly 3/4 cup of sour cream to my serving before I was able to eat it. :angry-extinguishflame:

We take off at half past six in the evening, so we are going to have an early dinner at a sushi restaurant. Followed by kosher onboard meals. I'm not too fond of airliner meal, and they never get it right and I pray to the flying spaghetti monster that I'll be fast asleep by the time they start serving food.

It was definitely very acidic. I usually serve herbal tea with acidic meals to prevent heartburn. I wish I had good news for ya, that food was a delight. Have you ever tried adding baking soda to your food? I wish I could help more. We love pickled/vinegary/or naturally acidic stuff and we can handle it with the aid of some alkaline drink, like herbal tea. (Like, the same way I always serve quality mint tea like moroccan mint to prevent gases when I serve cabbage or beans :embarrassed: )

I'll try having a herbal tea on the side! I'm not the main cook so I can't say if we add too much baking soda in our food. But I do think I have acid reflux and have taken medication the past few months but lately it's coming back with a vegence so I have a doctors appointment tomorrow, but will definitely try a tea and see if it helps my poor throat. Thank you! And have fun on your trip!

Quiverfullofit, if you're dealing with reflux (which my partner has had off and on), mint teas might make it worse. Before he found meds that worked for him, peppermint was off limits. It was very counter-intuitive to me, but apparently it's a known problem for some people.

Tonight, we made a baked spiced rice dish out of Ottolenghi's book Plenty. Onion, garlic, turmeric, cardamom, coriander, cilantro, parsley, and lime are the flavoring agents; I added peas and cashews to increase the protein and served the result with Greek yogurt and poached egg on top.

Quiverfullofit, if you're dealing with reflux (which my partner has had off and on), mint teas might make it worse. Before he found meds that worked for him, peppermint was off limits. It was very counter-intuitive to me, but apparently it's a known problem for some people.

You're all so helpful!

I'll see what my doctor recommends today and ask about mint/reg teas. But was your husband sensitive with mint in general? I have no problem eating it but have never drank mint tea. (I only like black teas).

And back on topic..

I had stir-fry last night with chicken.

And then I shared half of a carne asada wet burrito. There's a taco chain that I live by that is really good, but my location is the only location that serves wet burritos. Lucky me :D

Um, I would not recommend black tea since the process of making black tea makes the tea leaves develop some sort of an acid. Also, green tea is only recommended to be consumed in moderation. Have a cup and find out why :lol: No I spare you the experience, it'll give you cramps and send you to the bathroom quick. It's handy when you need a mild and natural laxative but enjoying green tea as a hot beverage does have it's consequences.

Ginger, nettle and chamomile tea work like magic - at least to us.

*Also, thx ; )

Um... (even though I won't have to do any sort of cooking for 2 weeks) I looked up that eggplant dish and I think I found it. Somehow it doesn't look that appetizing in that skillet... :oops: which is funny since cast iron skillets make most food even more tempting. Apparently this version is a Sicilian dish. I bet that wherever olives and aubergines are available, it' a fairly common meal and has many varieties.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vege ... ACtrO0r.97

I don't know if cooking it with a bit of baking soda will help... but just in case.

I went and I can't have anything I love.

• No acidic foods, no lemon!
    No tomato!
    No spicy food!
    No greasy foods
    No teas with caffeine
    No chocolate
    :crying-blue: :crying-green: :crying-yellow:

I had blood work to check if I might have ulcers, which honestly I'd rather have.

OT, First dinner was chili cheese dogs my mother made with some veggies and dip. 2nd dinner was easy macaroni and cheese with chicken my girlfriend made.

One day when I'm not half insane from being so tired, I'll help you find some methods and ingredients that help turn foods more alkaline. It will come in handy for me, too, since I'm not exactly a fan of burping up acid. We can handle acidic food better than people with severe reflux but we also kinda know when to take a few days' break from eating acidic stuff.

Ah, tonight's dinner: (challah of course) and tapas. (It is past 10pm over here!) We even melon and beef ham, the Parma ham with melon style which is a HUGE treat since it's not exactly sugarmelon season. And booze. I'm part dead, part full and part overjoyed and part drunk.

:) Thank you.

Last night was tapas. 6 different plates for 2 under $30, ah it was nice. The lobster po'boy was great, and the tuna taco in a wonton shell with cilantro sauce & sesame was so good.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.