IGNORED

The Keller Family reunion.

xReems

I think it's kind of sad that a photo that shows a hard core fundamentalist family overcoming their differences of opinion and happily accepting ALL of their children and grandchildren - even the ones who completely rejected their lifestyle..........somehow turns into a fat bashing session.
You're right, i'm sorry i got carried away. :embarrassed:

I'm wasn't trying to fat shame as much as point out hypocrisy and give credit to Anna for doing something that was more difficult for her than it would have been for him... but i am sorry it came across as mean instead of as just trying to point out facts.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate body-shaming. Josh Duggar is a smug dimwit at times, but he has his own struggles. He had to "man-up" to something that obviously isn't truly him. I always suspected John-David was the type of son JB and M thought is the archetypical first-born: taciturn, hard-working, manly man, posing with rifles and letting the womenfolks do womenfolky work while he's busy ordering them around just with a death-stare. Josh just didn't really measure up to their expectations. He likes to talk, he seems to try really hard in every respect but knows he just doesn't make it (e.g. at the car lot, he's just not a salesperson), he probably had interests in stuff his parents would never have approved of, HE doesn't need to compete with his over-competitive father but is continuously forced to do so, partly enforced by TLC.

If Josh hadn't had to go through the soul-sucking JTTH for guys, and if he hadn't been forced through JB and M's hard school of oppressing and ignoring intuition and feelings I think Josh would've turned out to be a very likeable guy. He's pushing and parroting his parents' misogynistic anti-choice agenda, without an idea of what that even means because he learned that doing that earns him the approval of his folks which seems to be very important to someone as sensitive as Josh. I think he compensates a lot of that missing approval with over-eating and treats.

I really hope that one day Josh and Anna realize what kind of hateful crap they spew and how they have both been used by patriarchal folks for their agenda. They have both been robbed off the opportunity to make up their own mind, to get an education, to think critically (instead of their one-dimensional thinking right now), to decide for themselves what is right for their family and what isn't and last but not least to come to their own interpretation of their faith.

I hope they don't grow too old until they realize this and have a chance to turn around and live their dreams.

Until then, Josh may continue to equal freedom with freedom to choose what to eat.

Anna is not the brightest candle in the chandelier when it comes to nutrition, but she continuously makes an attempt to learn and that should be appreciated.

And I for one don't think this family is out of its element at all within the FRC. He was hired to be a celebrity spokesmodel. I am sure that group is very happy to have him- he is a star in that world.

Oddly, he is not listed among the staff:

http://www.frc.org/experts

Anyone know why?

And I for one don't think this family is out of its element at all within the FRC. He was hired to be a celebrity spokesmodel. I am sure that group is very happy to have him- he is a star in that world.

Oddly, he is not listed among the staff:

http://www.frc.org/experts

Anyone know why?

I know he technically works for FRC Action, which I gather is their legislative (i.e. lobbying) arm. Maybe that's why?

I know he technically works for FRC Action, which I gather is their legislative (i.e. lobbying) arm. Maybe that's why?

Yeah, he's only with FRC Action. He doesn't do any policy work. He really was only hired to be a face, nothing more. That's why he travels so much - he has to get their image out there.

I'm sure he thought he'd be doing more meaningful work, but the reality has hit him hard.

I think it's kind of sad that a photo that shows a hard core fundamentalist family overcoming their differences of opinion and happily accepting ALL of their children and grandchildren - even the ones who completely rejected their lifestyle..........somehow turns into a fat bashing session.

Would you rather talk about Josh's awesome accomplishments in RVs or Anna's deep philosophical thoughts? Mama Keller's new glasses?

Or are you saying that Josh looks good in that photo? There's no way you can look at that photo and not notice a HUGE difference in a really short period of time. And he's a TV star!!

I dont think that every time someone mentions that Josh or another public person looks unhealthy is fat bashing or body shaming. The bottom line is that, for his age, he does look like he's gained A LOT of weight in a short period of time. The issue we're discussing is why.

Josh wanted to be a lawyer. He probably looked into the online california schools, only to realize that he'd have to take the california bar and that would be of little use to him. He tried the car lot, all 3 of them, with daddy's help. They failed and his clunkers were internet jokes. Now he gets to be the face of a BIG DC MUCKITY MUCK but all that really means is painting daddy's bus and driving around to see losing candidates. I doubt his colleagues respect him. Then add to that the fall of their god, gothard. Josh's dreams are in the shitter.

Sure, he has a wife and 3 beautiful kids, but is HE really supporting them or is daddy? He probably knows he needs to move back to arkansas, that he can never go to lawschool BECAUSE of his 3 beautiful kids (cant take loans and cant support them otherwise), and he will spend the next 40 years being "josh duggar of 19KAC". Thats a pretty sad life.

David is making a world for himself in Chicago. We know they are highly competitive. Jill married a man with a college degree and an actual job. Jessa seems perfectly happy having Bin controlled by daddy.

I think Josh is realizing the world isnt as black and white as mommy and daddy made everything out to be. You can have jesus without the blinders and the hate. What he'll do with that I have no idea, but all that stress in someone so young can result in potato chips and coke. That will only get worse as the election cycle for 2016 begins in the next few months and he has to get on the bus with the free feeding littles and late night stops at mcdonalds.

I am actually concerned for Josh's health. He really doesn't look all that well here. Like someone mentioned upthread, perhaps he just wasn't feeling all that well the day the pic was taken, but I do believe that he has been steadily going back to his lousy crap diet and is probably not exercising regularly. I wonder if reality is starting to hit him, and hit him hard.

I know that Josh is an adult, but I blame Boob and Mullet. They gave this boy no preparation for the real world, and now he is possibly suffering because of it. Comfort food, here he comes! Fuck you, B&M.

On the flip side, Josh IS an adult. He needs to put on his big boy panties and face life like a man. He is still a YOUNG man. He has a lot of years left, and he can do something with them. Even though he probably comes across as a smug douche, he most likely has made some contacts in DC in the time he has lived there. College is certainly not out of the realm of possibilities for Josh.

Douche or not, I hope Josh can turn it around and find success on his own. Even if I wish that just to give the finger to his lousy parents.

And I am wondering if he is not listed as a FRC employee because is more billed as a "special speaker" or something like that. Perhaps the whole executive director job didn't pan out. I mean seriously, I don't think Josh has the charm to woo that many people and his only specialness is being the first thing to shoot out Mullet's vag.

ETA: In regards to the Kellers, I do like their family picture. Any word from the ones in Zambia saving the heathens? I hope they are not lost in the bush looking for that rusty plane.

Despite all the deep, psychological discussions of why Josh has gained weight.....the fact remains it's one of the few times where you actually have evidence that these families can actually be open and accepting of other people's lifestyles-- even if it goes against what their official dogma is. People have stated here, and elsewhere, that by everything they have been taught, the parents and siblings should be shunning the children who have strayed. And these adult kids not only strayed - they did it publicly and talked about it in social media. If the Keller's are a high profile family in their little world it actually is a serious, positive, statement for them to have family photos with their daughters in pants, their son who , iirc, has publicly ranted about how backwards and harmful ATI is, and their never married daughter with her adorable toddler.

People always talk about how harmful and rule bound and nit-picky their belief system is. But the second they show some glimmer of positive change people nit-pick on one of their appearances.

Despite all the deep, psychological discussions of why Josh has gained weight.....the fact remains it's one of the few times where you actually have evidence that these families can actually be open and accepting of other people's lifestyles-- even if it goes against what their official dogma is. People have stated here, and elsewhere, that by everything they have been taught, the parents and siblings should be shunning the children who have strayed. And these adult kids not only strayed - they did it publicly and talked about it in social media. If the Keller's are a high profile family in their little world it actually is a serious, positive, statement for them to have family photos with their daughters in pants, their son who , iirc, has publicly ranted about how backwards and harmful ATI is, and their never married daughter with her adorable toddler.

People always talk about how harmful and rule bound and nit-picky their belief system is. But the second they show some glimmer of positive change people nit-pick on one of their appearances.

Duggars never claimed to shun non-ATI people. Cousin Amy comes to mind. I've never heard anything to indicate the Kellers believe this.

I don't see this glimmer of "positive change" from Josh, who has only gotten louder and more radical when he was given a position he thinks people care about.

And a lot of us ex-fundies just had Thanksgiving with a bunch of fundies. And just because the picture looks nice, doesn't mean the words were. But, yea, it's a nice photo except for Smuggar, and women are wearing pants.

I am amazed that people come to a board with the word "snark" is in the description and then are apparently perplexed and upset when people "snark" on the subject matter.

Josh does look very unhealthy.

Anyone can see that he is not taking care of his vessel.

Perhaps he has an undisclosed medical condition, but absent that, it appears that he is reckless and irresponsible when it comes to diet and exercise. He is 26 years old...sad.

Thank you!! There are plenty of places on this snark board for making fun of/ showing concern for Josh Duggar. He has many threads dedicated to him on this website nit-picking his lifestyle and deep-held personal beliefs. But in my opinion, its bothersome that when seeing that picture, thats still where the conversation drifts.

Amy doesn't count as the Duggars accepting a non-fundy. She was alive before they even knew who Gothard was. ATI members don't always reject the family that they already had when they started inhaling Kool-Aid by the gallon. But this Keller situation is entirely different. Their children and "arrows for Christ" have rejected their beliefs. Rebekah works, David had pictures on his Facebook with alcohol, and Susanna had a child out of wedlock. That is way more than Jinger Duggar just rolling her eyes at her mother. That is complete rejection. And as it has been discussed on here before, ATI absolutely does teach rejecting your kids who stray as to not affect your kids who have not. This picture proves that Kellers are still are dedicated to keeping their family together. That is some serious progress.

I sincerely doubt if Jinger Duggar got pregnant out of wedlock, Jessa worked, and Josiah started posting pictures with beer on St. Patrick's Day, we'd see the same picture. Please. :hand:

I sincerely doubt if Jinger Duggar got pregnant out of wedlock, Jessa worked, and Josiah started posting pictures with beer on St. Patrick's Day, we'd see the same picture. Please. :hand:

This is the awesomest mental image ever. Just imagining Josiah with a beer like a normal young adult male. Wow. Still seems weird for a Duggar. Just with so many Duggars, somebody has got to do their own thing eventually, maybe when (if?) the TLC money runs out. Then their reaction will be interesting.

I bet it will be a smiling photo just like this every few years, along with a Thanksgiving lecture and preachy emails constantly with completely inappropriate judgy Facebook comments, just like my family. So, yea, I think there might still be a photo. The photo definitely does not mean acceptance. I have one just like it.

I just hope that whoever bucks this crap realizes they can do Breaking Duggar and take all their daddy's money and spotlight too, if they do get shunned.

This is the awesomest mental image ever. Just imagining Josiah with a beer like a normal young adult male. Wow. Still seems weird for a Duggar. Just with so many Duggars, somebody has got to do their own thing eventually, maybe when (if?) the TLC money runs out. Then their reaction will be interesting.

Yeah, the reason why I think I'm fascinated by the Duggars is because they're generally my age and in my peer group. I feel so sad for them that they cant accomplish their dreams cause honestly, most of them seem like really cool kids. Josiah would have so much fun at St. Patrick's day with his beer :dance:

Here is his work page:

http://www.frcaction.org/josh-duggar

I think from the description his job is not really the kind that requires him to be terribly analytical. I really think they designed something to fit his skill set and I sincerely doubt he is having any sort of issues and examination. He was hired as a face, he is a face for a big hate group where he is the biggest celebrity in the room. He is surrounded by people just like him, who think like him, and who likely thing of him as some sort of celebrity- think of Kirk Cameron before that stupid movie cause some issues with his flock. Josh is out there preaching to like minded people, spoon feeding exactly what they want to hear.

I did some spot checking of FRC staffers and education. There are few with good colleges and universities on their bios - usually the older fellows; however, there is a generous sprinkling of Liberty (it has the most grads on staff next to UVA, which is a good school), BJU and Oral Roberts. There are a couple people with NO college listed. I just don't think he is all that different from the other staffers at FRC.

I don't know why people always think exposure outside the family automatically leads to some sort of self-examination or epiphany. Josh is around people just like him who validate his world view. More likely, this job is proof to the Duggars that their system works.

The Kellers aren't high up on the ATI ladder. Only two of their kids are still in the cult, and those two (Anna and Priscilla) married fundie royalty.

Maybe he's depressed and overeating because he's realizing he doesn't have as decent education an as his colleagues, that he's working a sham job, and he's expected to somehow produce and support a huge family. JB is ridiculously competitive, so Josh will never one up him no matter how hard he works to prove himself. I can see how he's kind of in a trapped situation, mentally. It doesn't have to be that way though, he's not even 30 yet and the Duggars have contacts in business and politics. Josh could still train to be a lawyer. He could man up and say, sorry Dad that huge family thing is your path not mine. He could get into a gym - Anna looks great and she has to care for little kids around the clock; Josh doesn't have that holding him back. Sorry, not sorry - i'm just going to say he's a lazy bum. :lol:

Josh could always become a lawyer if he really wanted to. He would have to start off getting a real education, go to community college, transfer, study for the lsat, applying to law school, then get accepted. I just see him as lazy at times. He could always prove Jim Bob wrong and become better than him, but he's riding on his reality tv fame

So wtf is going on with the oldest Keller girl???

I'm really glad that at least the Kellers still hang out with their non ATI kids. I wish Ma and Pa Keller would leave too. Then apologize to their kids for putting them in a cult

So wtf is going on with the oldest Keller girl???

I'm really glad that at least the Kellers still hang out with their non ATI kids. I wish Ma and Pa Keller would leave too. Then apologize to their kids for putting them in a cult

Esther the oldest one is living in Zambia while her husband John the eternal grifter is playing missionary and trying to convert Christians into HIS brand of Christianity. They have about 9 kids.

I bet it will be a smiling photo just like this every few years, along with a Thanksgiving lecture and preachy emails constantly with completely inappropriate judgy Facebook comments, just like my family. So, yea, I think there might still be a photo. The photo definitely does not mean acceptance. I have one just like it.

I just hope that whoever bucks this crap realizes they can do Breaking Duggar and take all their daddy's money and spotlight too, if they do get shunned.

So this is a serious question -- if the families don't cut out their adult kids if they go against their beliefs - like people stress all the time on here -- why do people talk about the Duggar kids ( and others) needing to "escape"?

It always sounds like they wouldn't be allowed to speak to their younger siblings, or their parents. Or even collect their clothes or personal belongings if they left. And some posters here describe their own situations that way. But from what you're saying the level of disapproval isn't significantly worse than any other awkward and annoying extended family group.

Or is there a big variance in what the acceptable level of disapproval of wayward adult children is?

So this is a serious question -- if the families don't cut out their adult kids if they go against their beliefs - like people stress all the time on here -- why do people talk about the Duggar kids ( and others) needing to "escape"?

It always sounds like they wouldn't be allowed to speak to their younger siblings, or their parents. Or even collect their clothes or personal belongings if they left. And some posters here describe their own situations that way. But from what you're saying the level of disapproval isn't significantly worse than any other awkward and annoying extended family group.

Or is there a big variance in what the acceptable level of disapproval of wayward adult children is?

There is a big variance. Even amongst the Kellers, they cut the "escapees" out for quite awhile before deciding to just get over it. They also treated an unmarried daughter and their son differently than the daughter who was just under another "headship" when she went more liberal.

The Jeubs and Pennington Point are examples of a literal quickly pack and escape type of toxic relationship. Its all depending on the parents reaction and the resources of the children when they try to leave.

I think Josh had big dreams making it big in DC political circles. In reality he is a puppet brought out when needed. His dreams may have been crushed because he now knows that he will have to work hard to make it in DC. His patents lied to him about the importance of an education and networking with people you may not agree with.

He could make it if he had the motivation and drive to go to school and take the remedial classes he will need before getting an undergraduate degree and going to law school.

These 2nd and 3rd generation fundies are witnessing their leaders fall from grace, and finding out just how hard it is to start and maintain a family business. I think we are now watching the beginning of the exodus of the sheeple from these quiverfull, homeschooling, patriarchal cults. It's not going to be a mass exodus, but they will eventually leave. The lifestyle is simply unsustainable.

These 2nd and 3rd generation fundies are witnessing their leaders fall from grace, and finding out just how hard it is to start and maintain a family business. I think we are now watching the beginning of the exodus of the sheeple from these quiverfull, homeschooling, patriarchal cults. It's not going to be a mass exodus, but they will eventually leave. The lifestyle is simply unsustainable.

Hopefully the pendulum will swing to a wave of new liberals. That does seem to be the trend.

I think Josh had big dreams making it big in DC political circles. In reality he is a puppet brought out when needed. His dreams may have been crushed because he now knows that he will have to work hard to make it in DC. His patents lied to him about the importance of an education and networking with people you may not agree with.

Exactly. They may have had an easier time getting elected to office in their part of the country where their beliefs and large family made them seem wholesome and family-friendly and a positive influence, whereas now they are hitching their wagon to others who may have the same beliefs as them, but know better how to tone down the rhetoric to get elected and how to work within the Beltway. I have family that are quite familiar personally with Ken Cuccinelli, who himself didn't get super-religious until he married his super right wing wife and decided that even Catholic schools weren't conservative enough for his kids so they're homeschooled. As you may recall, the Duggars were out stumping for him last year. Cuccinelli managed to tone down the crazy part of his life just enough to appeal to a lot of conservative voters in VA, and he has a talent for at least acting like he is willing to work with those that disagree with him, whereas the Duggars and their ilk are more likely to call people not like them godless heathens than to work with them to find some sort of common ground.

I have really become convinced how out of touch the Duggar family is, even Anna at this point, from reading their Instagram accounts. Amongst the smiling pictures of family and faith and fellowship are a LOT of Christian memes (or whatever they could be called?) that is pretty judgmental. Sometimes it's worth reading the comments on those posts to see the leghumpers try to call out the non-believers.

And one thing about Priscilla and David - much as I detest them, they certainly are committed to converting people through direct action (still handing out tracts and being homeland missionaries), whereas Josh seems to be in charge of rallying the already converted through indirect action. And as for Josh's recent change in shape, the first thing that popped into my head is he is eating his feelings, and perhaps the hate he supports and spreads will eat him right back from the inside out.

Archived