IGNORED

Maxwells: "Have raised children who have not rebelled"

copper

Sorry. I should have clarified that Ask Me Anything is a FJ forum here: viewforum.php?f=16 :embarrassed:

I just thought that you come from a very interesting background. An AMA topic would be cool.

Oops. I usually stick to Quiver Full of Snark, but now I see I'm missing out on another fascinating forum! Thanks for the suggestion. I'll read a bit more over there to get a sense of the format and then I'll try to do that.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Many Amish communities are merely repressive out of habit, but the Maxwells are repressive by careful intention.

This single solitary sentence sums up why fundies (I don't think the Amish are lumped in generally, right?) are so much more dangerous than the Amish.

This single solitary sentence sums up why fundies (I don't think the Amish are lumped in generally, right?) are so much more dangerous than the Amish.

I agree. At least more dangerous in their capacity for spreading their ideology to the broader culture. When it comes to isolation or potential for abuse, though, I'd say it's a draw.

And, no, Amish are not usually considered Fundamentalist in terms of 1920s American Fundamentalism, although I would certainly consider them in the neighborhood of high-demand religions and in that way deserving of the "small f" fundamentalist label.

Rhetorica....Do the Amish/Mennonites believe that children are born evil (ala the Pearls and Stevo), or that children should not be exposed to the outside world because that world is evil or at odds with Amish faith? The Maxwells seem to accept both: their children are born evil and that the outer world is evil.

I may not be explaining myself very well.

That is a great question, and somewhat difficult to answer. In a general sense, I'd say they accept both. (Even though Anabaptists are definitely not Calvinist, I would love to hear a theologian discuss how the two nevertheless overlap historically/philosophically/theologically.) However, there are varying degrees of enthusiasm with which Amish/conservative Mennonites embrace these ideas. But as with other points of comparison, I'd say that in this way, again, what many of the Amish/conservative Mennonites do fairly unreflectively, fundies like the Pearls and Stevo preach with with great enthusiasm.

My sense is that there is a fairly broad range of how Amish/conservative Mennos use corporal punishment, but I've never heard of anyone stepping in to stop an abusive situation even when others were aware of it and recognized it as abuse. It's almost like a shared sense of conditioned helplessness--there is no awareness that the authorities--or anyone else--COULD or should be called to intervene and that the situation might be rectified. (Sorry about the tangent, but at least it's not quite a rant yet. :) )

Related to this, but still kind of a hijack, a Mennonite-run store in my area carries "To Train Up A Child." Once I saw that, I walked out and haven't been back since. :evil:

I haven't but I am about to because I just ordered it. Thanks for the recommend. :D

There was a program called "The Amish: Shunned" on the American Experience following the lives of Amish who made the break from their respective Amish communities. One of those people was a young woman who lived with Saloma and her husband for about six months before returning to her community. It was quite heartbreaking to watch.

I raised kids that were churched and didn't rebel. Now the youngest is living 1800 miles away and growing up, at 25. The oldest lives at home and is happy Christmas is here. I swear he must have eggnog in his veins. He's so bright and cheerful.

They each have tons of friends, mingle and jingle to the jingling beat. And the 25 year old is coming home for Christmas!!!!!!!

Even if I tried to keep them away from people, it wouldn't work, they are too extroverted to stay quiet. +One teaches preschool and the other works for the LA County Libraries. They love their jobs.

Archived