IGNORED

Erin Bates Paine's piano playing

hockeymoo

Well, I decided to take a break from cleaning my kitchen to get a comparatively unbiased opinion from Mr. P.

I asked him to listen to something and then played a few bars from each of about 7 Erin youtube videos.  He couldn't see the screen and I didn't tell him what he was listening to.  He is certainly not a musician, but he has a good enough singing voice and pitch for college productions and our local choral society.

Reactions:

"What the hell are you doing to me?"

"Make it stop!" (That was when poor Tori played a particularly sour note on the violin so it doesn't pertain to Erin.)

"No, that's no better."  (I'd switched to Erin and a Collingsworth.)

"The violin is better in this one."  (Erin and Andy.)

"Enough already!"

So I stopped and asked him what he thought overall.

Him: "Was that country music on steroids?"

Me:  "No, Fundie hymns played by members of the musically talented Bates family.  Being a (lapsed ) Catholic you probably didn't recognize Are you Washed in the Blood."

Him:  "OK.  Hymns on crack then."

I rest my case.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am thinking the Dillards picked out the music for Erin to play and Jill wanted Pomp and Circumstance instead of Scarborough Fair for the finale to her fabulous courtship and finally marriage.  All that key banging was a bit ear deafening  along with being melodramatic. That banging belongs in a rowdy bar instead of a Baptist Church although some Baptists like the flamboyancy of lively music.

On 3/28/2016 at 4:18 PM, AlysonRR said:

"Too many notes!"

On 4/1/2016 at 2:11 PM, NakedKnees said:

That said, much of Erin's playing just reminds me of the "too many notes" part of Amadeus (which she probably hasn't seen, sadly).

Great minds ;-)

17 hours ago, AlysonRR said:

Great minds ;-)

Haha, hadn't noticed! And I thought I read the thread carefully, thinking "I can't be the only one thinking this..."

It's sad to think that Erin's potential has been potentially limited by the fact that her parents didn't let her take up a scholarship at a secular college with a better music programme. She's so talented and could have possibly achieved even greater success.

she seems to be a competent player, but not all that special compared to so many others.  I don't really see anything that sets her above and beyond a regular person who has studied piano for many years.  Possibly, if she had the chance to get better instruction she could have really stood out.  I mean,  I think I read here that she was offered a music scholarship to a state school, so she obviously had to have something that they saw as potential.

For me she's another run of the mill "babdist" piano player akin to Jerry Lee Lewis and the like.  Shes' good...but she is a copy cat of every other church-taught musician.  

16 hours ago, Imrlgoddess said:

For me she's another run of the mill "babdist" piano player akin to Jerry Lee Lewis and the like.  Shes' good...but she is a copy cat of every other church-taught musician.  

I do think that if she were allowed to listen to and study other styles and genres, she could be more than just good/pleasant. She does seem to have an innate passion for music, but when you're only allowed to listen to, study, and play some classical music and hymns, you're not going to learn a lot of new techniques or styles of playing. For instance, I studied voice and did choir for a while, and learning to sing and listening to a variety of styles and genres was crucial to me developing my singing voice and technique. I use what I learned when studying art songs and classical choral pieces when I'm singing cheesy pop songs at karaoke, and can wake up with my voice intact the next morning as a result.

I don't know much about music, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Erin's problems were more a case of 'clipped wings and nixed potential' than 'untalented'. 

8 hours ago, LawsonBatesEgo said:

I don't know much about music, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Erin's problems were more a case of 'clipped wings and nixed potential' than 'untalented'. 

Agreed. As someone who was given every musical opportunity in life and wasted it because, well, spoiled child, Erin is very talented, but woefully misguided. If she had my piano teacher, with the same time and energy commitments, she'd be incredible. But, she would have been alone with a man for 30 minutes at a time, while Kelly sat in another room. 1) NIKE!, 2) Kelly would have had to dedicate 30 min. to one child at a time. Like that would happen...

On April 19, 2016 at 10:25 AM, PracticeMakesProgress said:

Agreed. As someone who was given every musical opportunity in life and wasted it because, well, spoiled child, Erin is very talented, but woefully misguided. If she had my piano teacher, with the same time and energy commitments, she'd be incredible. But, she would have been alone with a man for 30 minutes at a time, while Kelly sat in another room. 1) NIKE!, 2) Kelly would have had to dedicate 30 min. to one child at a time. Like that would happen...

19 kids, 24 hours in a day- not possible.

HEAR THAT FUNDIES?

24 HOURS- NEVER MORE.
Learn when to say enough is enough.

Quality over quantity.

They are soldiers for God's army to turn America into a theocracy. They aren't seen as children that need to be loved and cherished

On 4/19/2016 at 9:31 AM, LawsonBatesEgo said:

Exactly. If you gave Albert Einstein nothing but an ATI curriculum, he'd still be pretty bright, but he'd never reshape the way we look at the very fabric of our universe. If you made LeBron James do nothing but sit in front of a TV his entire childhood and adolescence, maybe he'd still have a little bit of athletic ability or aptitude, but he'd probably just be mediocre at basketball. Hell, I had a student who was an amazing artist, but her family's economic situation and geographic circumstances, and the nature of the school system she's in mean that she'll probably never be able to really refine her skills or get a chance to use them professionally. Talent and potential need to be nourished and cultivated and given plenty of opportunities to shine. The way Gothard's cult squashes any sort of opportunity for talented or intelligent people to reach their full potential is really awful.

I didn't know that so many of my Free Jingerites were musically inclined... :pb_biggrin: I'm thinking we should start a band, not sure of names for the band but we could always start out with the Blues Brothers quote "We're on a mission from God"...I've got the P.A. system and mics and guitars, let's get this started!! :character-beavisbutthead::character-blues:

8 hours ago, paulypepper said:

I didn't know that so many of my Free Jingerites were musically inclined... :pb_biggrin: I'm thinking we should start a band, not sure of names for the band but we could always start out with the Blues Brothers quote "We're on a mission from God"...I've got the P.A. system and mics and guitars, let's get this started!! :character-beavisbutthead::character-blues:

I can vocalize in a way to clear a room quickly...no, not interested?  Damn...

8 hours ago, paulypepper said:

i can't play anything, or sing.......can i be a roadie?

10 hours ago, paulypepper said:

I sing!

I believe we decided in an earlier thread that "Gay Panic at the Library" was the official FJ band name?

I'd like to think it still holds up.

On April 24, 2016 at 9:48 AM, paulypepper said:

I've got the P.A. system and mics and guitars, let's get this started!!

I am sorry, but I can only be in this band if your sound system measures up to Jill Rodrigues's standards. 

56 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

I believe we decided in an earlier thread that "Gay Panic at the Library" was the official FJ band name?

I have got to hear the story behind that one! :D

16 minutes ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

I have got to hear the story behind that one! :D

We found a fundie who commented on a Wilson blog that her husband forbade her from bringing her children to the public library anymore because of the aggressive homosexuals there. Also, the female (lesbian?) librarians couldn't save her children if there were a fire. Someone pointed out that this woman was rightfully just trying to avoid all that gay panic at the library. 

Starts at DomWhackTroll's second comment, page 25. It becomes a band on page 28. Good times, good times. 

3 hours ago, nausicaa said:

I'd like to think it still holds up.

Oh god. Oh my god. That's the greatest thing ever. That needs to happen like now

21 hours ago, catlady said:

i can't play anything, or sing.......can i be a roadie?

Can the roadies be referred to as, "Rodrigi," (or some variant) instead? :pb_lol:

Archived