IGNORED

Duggars and music

silvia

I know that generally the Duggars don't want their kids to listen to "worldly" music, but what qualifies as acceptable music in their book? Bluegrass? CCM? Amy Grant? Or only songs written before 1800? (I haven't followed the Duggars long enough to have a good idea, so I was hoping the old guard of snarkers could weigh in.)

I know that generally the Duggars don't want their kids to listen to "worldly" music, but what qualifies as acceptable music in their book? Bluegrass? CCM? Amy Grant? Or only songs written before 1800? (I haven't followed the Duggars long enough to have a good idea, so I was hoping the old guard of snarkers could weigh in.)

I believe Classical, that horrible birthday song and Christian music is ok.

I believe Classical, that horrible birthday song and Christian music is ok.

I wonder what kind of Christian music is OK with them. Traditional hymns only or are they open to newer worship songs.

I brought this up in a longer thread, but it got lost in the shuffle:

Do you think JB and Michelle have any clue that the guy who wrote Dilly's song also has a song called "Pimpin' Joy" or one called... gasp... "Pants" that has the lyrics "She can wear the pants, she can run the show" and "she can wear the pants as long as I can take 'em off her." OMG, I can barely contain my hysterical laughter at the thought of them listening to these songs. :dance:

You think there's any chance they had this guy sing "their song" at the reception or would that be far too secular? (For most people who had a song professionally written for them, it would be a first dance, but we know how that would go over at a Duggar wedding.)

I brought this up in a longer thread, but it got lost in the shuffle:

Do you think JB and Michelle have any clue that the guy who wrote Dilly's song also has a song called "Pimpin' Joy" or one called... gasp... "Pants" that has the lyrics "She can wear the pants, she can run the show" and "she can wear the pants as long as I can take 'em off her." OMG, I can barely contain my hysterical laughter at the thought of them listening to these songs. :dance:

You think there's any chance they had this guy sing "their song" at the reception or would that be far too secular? (For most people who had a song professionally written for them, it would be a first dance, but we know how that would go over at a Duggar wedding.)

Maybe he was a college friend of Derick? I don't really understand how someone like Derick picked a man like that; UNLESS OF COURSE TLC did it for him. :think: :violin:

All of the super fundies I have known only listen to hymns. There was an episode where Michelle said she plays harp music and it calms all of the children down. No way would they be able to listen to a dirty whore like Amy Grant! :roll:

That brings me back to my disgust at them not allowing any kind of dancing. The song that was written for the Dilly proposal is really beautiful and I find myself humming it sometimes. Why couldn't Jill and Derick have danced, just the two of them, at the very end of their wedding reception while everyone watched and took photos? Its a sweet, slow song and their desires could have been "righteously fulfilled" right after they jumped in that vintage truck and drove away.

Well, if they follow Gothard to the T, they won't listen to anything with a backbeat, so probably just hymns and classical music.

I know ONE harp song Michelle won't be playing... remember on Bones, when Angela and Hodgins were first getting married? The harpist played "Gimme All Your Lovin"" by ZZ Top! Tried to find it on YouTube and couldn't.

Anything with a backbeat. So says the ati advanced textbook.

So wouldn't that mean Jill's engagement song was technically verboten then? (I don't remember exactly, but wasn't there a drum or some other rhythm-producing instrument?)

So wouldn't that mean Jill's engagement song was technically verboten then? (I don't remember exactly, but wasn't there a drum or some other rhythm-producing instrument?)

The guy was hitting his guitar as if it were a hand drum, thus creating a backbeat.

It would not be Gothard approved.

The guy was hitting his guitar as if it were a hand drum, thus creating a backbeat.

It would not be Gothard approved.

Smh. These people baffle me.

Smh. These people baffle me.

They'd just blame TLC and say that they picked the musician who didn't respect their religion?

Maybe he was a college friend of Derick? I don't really understand how someone like Derick picked a man like that; UNLESS OF COURSE TLC did it for him. :think: :violin:

I didn't think Walker Hayes had any connection to Oklahoma area but wasn't sure. His bio says this:

Born in Mobile, Alabama, Walker was raised in a large blended family. Although he was active in choir and musical theatre, most of his energy was spent on sports. The music in his soul kept calling his name as he finally turned his focus back to music when he attended Alabama’s Birmingham-Southern College earning a degree in music with an emphasis in piano before moving onto the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

He was born in 1979 meaning he's 35 so a bit older than Derrick. He is married with 5 kids though but not sure that speaks to much.

But at the bottom of the bio has the real scoop:

His talents have also recently grabbed the attention of the producers of TLC’s “19 Kids and Countingâ€. Ultimately, he was asked to write a personalized love song, which was to be used as a vital component of the engagement between Jill Duggar and Derick Dillard. His song and his performance were featured on the Season 7 Finale, which aired Tuesday, June 3, 2014 breaking the record for the highest viewership in the series history.

His talents have also recently grabbed the attention of the producers of TLC’s “19 Kids and Countingâ€. Ultimately, he was asked to write a personalized love song, which was to be used as a vital component of the engagement between Jill Duggar and Derick Dillard. His song and his performance were featured on the Season 7 Finale, which aired Tuesday, June 3, 2014 breaking the record for the highest viewership in the series history.

Knew the Duggars wouldn't have picked him themselves! Surely they would've at least googled the guy! :shrug:

I wonder what happens if they're at a restaurant or the supermarket or any other public place and hear ungodly music. Genres like rap, country or r&b. Will they be assholes and leave or tell the place to stop playing music

I wonder what happens if they're at a restaurant or the supermarket or any other public place and hear ungodly music. Genres like rap, country or r&b. Will they be assholes and leave or tell the place to stop playing music
What fundie mom is it that wears earbuds while shopping? Partly to keep from talking to fans and partly to block out the ungodly music. I think this was one of the VF crowd, but i can't remember. I've been on FJ long enough to forget things. :lol:

i remember once being at a doctor's appointment with my mom and they played an "all the hits from the 70's, 80's and 90's" type station, and "Love Shack" came on by the B-52's. My mom FREAKED OUT lol (no one else would have noticed but she was really uncomfortable, i was too after being so sheltered forever; this was during our Mennonite frumper days). When we left she talked a lot about how classic music keeps getting more and more degrading.

Good point. I'm sure most of the "kids eat free" places they frequent don't seek out Gothard's Playlist Seal of Approval.

I wonder what happens when the kids are caught casually nodding their heads along to this heathen music? You know they here it when they're out and about.

The music issue is another topic that makes me want to pull my hair out. As others have posted, they are not allowed to listen to any music with a backbeat...because somehow that's ebil? In Growing Up Duggar, the girls mention headphones are against the rules! JB tells them to take the headphones off "so all of us can enjoy the music". UM...let's not kid ourselves...just another controlling tactic to ensure they follow ATI guidelines.

I remember an episode when they were living in Little Rock when Josie was in the hospital. JB sent some of the kids with the film crew to drive back to Tonitown. JB said they trust the crew to respect his rules. So, basically no music/radio for that 3 hour drive? What would have happened if the driver turned on some rock music? The kids would report back to JB and perhaps he would have been fired?

Visiting Silver Dollar City, Amy showed her iPod and headphones before jumping in the car. She says something like they are her saviour. It's a long drive and the others will be listening to hymns and they all sing along. She will be listening to rock.

Visiting Silver Dollar City, Amy showed her iPod and headphones before jumping in the car. She says something like they are her saviour. It's a long drive and the others will be listening to hymns and they all sing along. She will be listening to rock.

I'm with Amy on this one. I listen to rock a lot when I'm driving because it helps to keep my awake. There's this on program on public radio of organ music that is totally soporific. I always have to change the station before I fall asleep.

I don't mind classical music when I am at home doing my cleaning or taking a bath, but I can't drive and listen to it for any length of time. :sleeping:

Archived