IGNORED

Nathan Maxwell teaches us to use our iPhones

lilith

I can't believe they are charging money to learn how to use a phone. Reeks of desperation to me. There are 3,000 sources - all free - for learning smart phones. But, the great & powerful Maxwells are gonna' charge. If you're stupid enough to pay them, you deserve what you get.

This. You can get all this information for free. Even how to block your phone for ungodly stuff and such.

You just need google and/or youtube and you can get thousands of tutorials.

Wonder who actually signs up for this Maxwell stuff?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lauren H. says:

October 18, 2014 at 4:14 pm

I have some questions: What is the difference between doing this course and going to the Apple Genius Bar, which is free? What can I get out of this course that I could not get out from talking to someone for free who works for Apple?

>>>>>>>>>>

The Apple Genius Bar is a great option. They offer one-on-one question answering and troubleshooting. I wouldn’t think there would be anything we would cover that would be unknown to the staff at the Genius bar. The only thing you need to do is know what series of questions to ask. Also, the time commitment to learn at the Genius Bar would be much greater then via ITonRamp webinars. Additionally when working with the Genius Bar you can’t go back and rewatch it pause, rewind, move forward… in order to ensure that you learn what is covered.

Nathan. Pause, rewind, move forward? Hasn't Nathan heard of DVD's? Oh never mind he is still stuck in 1997.

Why don't fundies just buy a basic cell phone with no data plan? What's the purpose of an iPhone or smart phone if you disable the data features? It makes no sense.

You cant download your KJV or your MOTH schedule onto a non-smart phone. And a Nokia 8210 doesn't look so great when it's attached to your headship's beltloop.

...Since they aren't doing mentoring why bother with the live webinar? Why not just record a couple of videos and then sell access to them?

Because if they did, their customers would fast-forward through the Jesus talk to get to the actual information they paid for, and we can't have that. In Maxhell, it's all about control.

Plus, any video they made would end up here at FJ. All that has to happen is for one FJer to pay to view it, then give out the password, and it's snarking time! With live webinars, they're better able to control who has access.

And while I'm thinking about it, during a webinar it's also harder to realize just how much time is being spent on prayers and preaching rather than the actual information one paid for. When you have a video you can watch repeatedly, it's easier to spot how much "filler" is in it.

Lauren H. says:

October 18, 2014 at 4:14 pm

I have some questions: What is the difference between doing this course and going to the Apple Genius Bar, which is free? What can I get out of this course that I could not get out from talking to someone for free who works for Apple?

>>>>>>>>>>

The Apple Genius Bar is a great option. They offer one-on-one question answering and troubleshooting. I wouldn’t think there would be anything we would cover that would be unknown to the staff at the Genius bar. The only thing you need to do is know what series of questions to ask. Also, the time commitment to learn at the Genius Bar would be much greater then via ITonRamp webinars. Additionally when working with the Genius Bar you can’t go back and rewatch it pause, rewind, move forward… in order to ensure that you learn what is covered.

Nathan. Pause, rewind, move forward? Hasn't Nathan heard of DVD's? Oh never mind he is still stuck in 1997.

I'm just impressed that he actually answered the question. Steve would have been offended that anyone dare question him and deleted it.

You cant download your KJV or your MOTH schedule onto a non-smart phone. And a Nokia 8210 doesn't look so great when it's attached to your headship's beltloop.

not to mention that wicked snake game. :naughty:

I'm just impressed that he actually answered the question. Steve would have been offended that anyone dare question him and deleted it.

I just came to ask which one of us was Lauren H. We asked this question back on page 1. Why pay? It is good that Nathan answered but really, if he doesn't answer, he looses a potential customer.

Why don't fundies just buy a basic cell phone with no data plan? What's the purpose of an iPhone or smart phone if you disable the data features? It makes no sense.

Agree!

Given that I just spent over an hour and 9 phone calls try to coach my sister on how to use the new iPad I bought her, I couldn't help but think of this thread. Would she benefit from something like this course? You betcha. She's of an age (mid 50s) where technology can still be a Big Scary Thing and if you're not comfortable with it in general, finding good free help on Google isn't going to work for you. People like her need to have visuals and someone who can walk them through every step because they simply can't do it on their own, so courses like this one, where they can ask questions of the instructor, are very beneficial. If you can't describe the home button in terms other than "you know, that thing that looks like a dish"--which my sister just did--then you're going to fail miserably at Googling for help. Tech savvy people may roll their eyes at people like my sister (I know I sometimes do, although I shouldn't) but I think we tend to forget that what comes easy to us can be very intimidating to others. I've said previously, even the most tech savvy often don't go far below the surface of what their devices and software can do. I still get files from graphic designers who center using the space bar or haven't got a clue how to set a tab. So setting aside the holier-than-thou Christian angle, $20 isn't a bad deal for Nathan's course. And I can't believe I'm defending something Maxwellian.

For the record, I had my sister set up a One-on-One at the Apple store.

I don't think it is a terrible idea. But, it's also the maxwells so there will be a heavy emphasis in guarding hearts instruction and comparisons to Jesus.

I really wish they weren't just doing it at Tuesdays at 3. Because I would totally record it, edit it into an appropriate fair use and give everyone a play by play.

But I guess 3 pm on a Tuesday keeps out many of the heathens that don't own their own business.

...I'll do it for 18.99! Also, Nathan's certifications aren't anything special. I have most of them too, but then, I'm a godless, pagan, feminist with short hair. What do I know?

Clearly, not where you are going to go when you die.

I know where Steve thinks I'm going, and plan to enjoy the ride! :)

I know where Steve thinks I'm going, and plan to enjoy the ride! :)

Sorry guys, I'd love to donate my $20 to the cause by taking the course and reporting back, but I just can't make the 3:00 pm webinars. See, I'm an evil feminist who reports to my master 8-5 every weekday, so I can afford to support myself without a headship. Actually, come to think of it, most SAHMs would have trouble taking an hour out at 3:00 pm. Wouldn't that time typically be spend supervising chores, starting dinner, and generally managing one's home? Perhaps Nathan didn't think this through..... 8-)

Oh, ad FYI fundies, there are plenty of Bible and religious apps for iPhone, Android, and other smart phones. Mars Hill even has an app.

Given that I just spent over an hour and 9 phone calls try to coach my sister on how to use the new iPad I bought her, I couldn't help but think of this thread. Would she benefit from something like this course? You betcha. She's of an age (mid 50s) where technology can still be a Big Scary Thing and if you're not comfortable with it in general, finding good free help on Google isn't going to work for you. People like her need to have visuals and someone who can walk them through every step because they simply can't do it on their own, so courses like this one, where they can ask questions of the instructor, are very beneficial. If you can't describe the home button in terms other than "you know, that thing that looks like a dish"--which my sister just did--then you're going to fail miserably at Googling for help. Tech savvy people may roll their eyes at people like my sister (I know I sometimes do, although I shouldn't) but I think we tend to forget that what comes easy to us can be very intimidating to others. I've said previously, even the most tech savvy often don't go far below the surface of what their devices and software can do. I still get files from graphic designers who center using the space bar or haven't got a clue how to set a tab. So setting aside the holier-than-thou Christian angle, $20 isn't a bad deal for Nathan's course. And I can't believe I'm defending something Maxwellian.

I do understand how some people might have problems with nowdays technology such as iphones. However, I still think that there are lots and lots of good and free tutorials on youtube for beginners. Also, if you have questions, there are forums where people will be happy to help.

I'm not saying that it's bad that Nathan does this course. It's not like he is forcing anyone to take part, and if people are willing to pay for it, than that their decision of course. I'm just saying that you could get all this information (and probably better tutorials) for free.

But Nathan specifies that due to the low low price he won't be offering "mentoring" or any one on one time. So I don't think the people taking the course can even ask questions or raise concerns - it seems that they just get to listen to a live lecture from Nathan about Christianity and the art of iphone maintenance.

I actually do get out that early on Tuesdays, but don have $20 to spare, else I'd happily take one for the team.

Message me and I will pay for you to do it.

Message me and I will pay for you to do it.

Soon as I wake up properly and figures out how to do it on my tiny little iPhone... It is it last the date already?

Soon as I wake up properly and figures out how to do it on my tiny little iPhone... It is it last the date already?

It actually already started, but they have other dates scheduled.

But Nathan specifies that due to the low low price he won't be offering "mentoring" or any one on one time. So I don't think the people taking the course can even ask questions or raise concerns - it seems that they just get to listen to a live lecture from Nathan about Christianity and the art of iphone maintenance.

:lol: :lol:

Why don't the Maxwells start some sort of healthy living ministry? Sort of like the Lord's Table except not free and with more doom and gloom. They can provide a Bible study, meal plans, exercise plans and for an extra cost, daily mentoring. They know about meal planning for a large family, how to exercise in long skirts and they already have the whole Energize! thing going on.

It could work at least as well as all this other stuff they are trying.

Archived