IGNORED

Are the Duggar daughters vain? surely, Yes!

whitegirl22

Young women in their early twenties care about hair and makeup?!?! Shock! Horror! Say it isn't so!

I'll say it again. The thoughts in their head and the lifestyle is toxic. The fact that they wear makeup (the harlots!) is not. This attitude from FJ is so pathetic, and quite frankly, just as misogynistic as the attitudes they snark on.

Young women in their early twenties care about hair and makeup?!?! Shock! Horror! Say it isn't so!

I'll say it again. The thoughts in their head and the lifestyle is toxic. The fact that they wear makeup (the harlots!) is not. This attitude from FJ is so pathetic, and quite frankly, just as misogynistic as the attitudes they snark on.

This. :clap:

I need orthodontia so bad. My teeth are so crowded I have teeth behind my teeth, and sometimes I have sores in my mouth because when I chew my food he teeth that stick out bite into my skin.

And I can't get floss between my teeth, either.

I agree. However, sometimes I think that it's worth examining the makeup and hair thing in relation to modesty standards, pridefulness or lack thereof, countenances, etc. If we are to understand their belief system, it's only natural to ask: why do they have to cover from neck to knee, but then they can wear heavy makeup and apply other beauty products to enhance their looks? Why the long, flowing hair, which some would regard as a sensual look?

There's nothing wrong with them wanting to look nice, absolutely. It would be nice to hear them say, when asked about makeup and hair, that they do it because it makes them feel good about themselves or that they like to look pretty, instead of the line about "drawing attention to our countenances". The fact that they give other justifications make you wonder if the choice to do these things run counter to what the Bible says about modesty. But that's why I'm careful to say when talking about this kind of thing: I find it interesting, but I don't think they should be further oppressed and I'm happy to see them doing things for their own happiness and exercising some freedoms.

I need orthodontia so bad. My teeth are so crowded I have teeth behind my teeth, and sometimes I have sores in my mouth because when I chew my food he teeth that stick out bite into my skin.

And I can't get floss between my teeth, either.

Ouch, that sounds so painful! if you do get braces (and i hope you can), try to keep the retainer. mine broke, and now the situation is almost worse. :|

Just pointing out, these girls are not your average American girl. They are being raised very deliberately, supposedly for a certain purpose.

All this emphasis on their hair and makeup is contrary to that purpose.

That is what gets snarked on. Deservedly so.

Honestly, they have to be. In their world, a girl is only worth her looks and her uterus. Since they aren't allowed to pursue a husband, their job is to look good until a husband chooses them. Their entire existence is as a future trophy for some "God-fearing, Christian" who won't use birth control to put on his mantel and provide a cozy uterus for the next generation until menopause.

I do think they are really beautiful girls, it'd be hard not to notice. I'd probably be glancing at myself quite a bit too.

Michelle always preaches about the importance of drawing attention to the face, so doing hair and makeup is probably a good justification.

Honestly, they have to be. In their world, a girl is only worth her looks and her uterus. Since they aren't allowed to pursue a husband, their job is to look good until a husband chooses them. Their entire existence is as a future trophy for some "God-fearing, Christian" who won't use birth control to put on his mantel and provide a cozy uterus for the next generation until menopause.

But really it is NOT supposed to be about looks. Many fundies eschew makeup altogether. It's supposed to be about a sweet spirit and a servant's heart. And obedience, lest we forget, obedience to your father and then your husband.

This is where the Duggars take a wide departure from the fundie norm. Way too much time and emphasis on the looks, on the hair and makeup. This would be because of TV.

I do think they are really beautiful girls, it'd be hard not to notice. I'd probably be glancing at myself quite a bit too.

Michelle always preaches about the importance of drawing attention to the face, so doing hair and makeup is probably a good justification.

I wish Mullet would stop abusing the fake tan. She's giving the oompa loompas a run for their money!

But really it is NOT supposed to be about looks. Many fundies eschew makeup altogether. It's supposed to be about a sweet spirit and a servant's heart. And obedience, lest we forget, obedience to your father and then your husband.

This is where the Duggars take a wide departure from the fundie norm. Way too much time and emphasis on the looks, on the hair and makeup. This would be because of TV.

It isn't supposed to be about looks. But, it really is.

Every once in a while a couple's personalities will fall in love regardless of looks, but most of the time -- the guys with the most to offer pick the most beautiful girls, even in a culture that preaches that beauty is vain. Chad Paine and John Webster did. The Duggar girls are being smart, and i think they get that from their mom, the ex-cheerleader in Michelle knows it's true, no matter what the standards of the church say. i think a lot of very sincere fundie girls don't realize how important appearance truly is. Every girl can show off her best features, but many times the parents won't allow it, or the mom may shame her daughter out of being her best in a self-respecting way. Too many fundie girls think that being as beautiful as possible is a sin or makes them prideful, when really it is like seeing themselves as a treasure that can be treated well. It doesn't have to be the extremes of self-tanner and highlighting (imo the Duggars got into trouble with their iphones, those cameras make anyone look washed out lol), it can just be as simple as wearing their best colors. Like rosy colors for Sarah Maxwell, instead of browns, for example.

It's not right, but it's the way the world works. If a girl is looking her best out of self-love, that happiness makes her 1,000x more attractive. If she is hiding behind a wall of shame thinking that doing anything for herself would be a sin, that burden of guilt will make guys turn away. And in their world, marriage is everything. Such a strange balancing act, for so many girls. Be pretty but not vain. Be joyful but shy. Be friendly and approachable but never a flirt. Be a submissive but have strong convictions. Be a humble servant but be able to run everything in family life and keep siblings under control by age 12. And these girls just have so few good role models for healthy self-respect.

It isn't supposed to be about looks. But, it really is.

Every once in a while a couple's personalities will fall in love regardless of looks, but most of the time -- the guys with the most to offer pick the most beautiful girls, even in a culture that preaches that beauty is vain. Chad Paine and John Webster did. The Duggar girls are being smart, and i think they get that from their mom, the ex-cheerleader in Michelle knows it's true, no matter what the standards of the church say. i think a lot of very sincere fundie girls don't realize how important appearance truly is. Every girl can show off her best features, but many times the parents won't allow it, or the mom may shame her daughter out of being her best in a self-respecting way. Too many fundie girls think that being as beautiful as possible is a sin or makes them prideful, when really it is like seeing themselves as a treasure that can be treated well. It doesn't have to be the extremes of self-tanner and highlighting (imo the Duggars got into trouble with their iphones, those cameras make anyone look washed out lol), it can just be as simple as wearing their best colors. Like rosy colors for Sarah Maxwell, instead of browns, for example.

It's not right, but it's the way the world works. If a girl is looking her best out of self-love, that happiness makes her 1,000x more attractive. If she is hiding behind a wall of shame thinking that doing anything for herself would be a sin, that burden of guilt will make guys turn away. And in their world, marriage is everything. Such a strange balancing act, for so many girls. Be pretty but not vain. Be joyful but shy. Be friendly and approachable but never a flirt. Be a submissive but have strong convictions. Be a humble servant but be able to run everything in family life and keep siblings under control by age 12. And these girls just have so few good role models for healthy self-respect.

When you consider that men and women aren't even allowed to be friends in this culture, being attractive enough to catch a man's eye so he asks to court you is even more important. In the real world, men fall in love with female friends they wouldn't have thought to ask out on looks alone. In fundiedom, a man asks to court a woman based on superficial characteristics because he hasn't had the chance to get to know her.

I'm not saying relationships that are predicated on appearance can't grow into loving, respectful partnerships, but for young fundie women being attractive might be their only chance at getting a man to look twice at them.

I know a lot of fundies and been one myself. While even some makeup might be okay, most of them don't wear it. At the recent values conference, Jinger had on so much makeup and huge hoop earrings, a picture I saw of her from the neck up... she looked like a floozy. If I hadn't known better, she sure looked like a bar babe to me. Cannot imagine in what universe that's the countenance a Christian seeks.

Just another example how rules are supposed to be rigidly followed, right up to the point where you don't want to and then there's some excuse for why you can do what you want after all.

Such a strange balancing act, for so many girls. Be pretty but not vain. Be joyful but shy. Be friendly and approachable but never a flirt. Be a submissive but have strong convictions. Be a humble servant but be able to run everything in family life and keep siblings under control by age 12. And these girls just have so few good role models for healthy self-respect.

Just reading that makes me depressed. Life is so difficult and fraught with so many obstacles as it is, I can't imagine having to negotiate so many layers of expectations and creating some sort of "pretend personality" to deal with it all. Awful.

:cry:

or looking like the Maxwell girls

so.many.camp shirts.

The Maxwell sisters are attractive women, they just need to have their eyebrows shaped.

Absolutely. They have more makeup spackled on their faces than I own.

Jessa is a pretty girl but she has a horrible complexion, she must use a ton of concealer.

She needs to go to a derm doc. There are so many creams that can help with that. I would hate to wear all the concealer she must wear. But in my 40s I don't wear a lot of makeup anyway, especially in the summer in TX.

Archived